Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax, what the hell?

Options
  • 16-06-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

I've been away for a while, joint own a house in Dublin. I knew that this property tax thing was coming up, but had no idea how much it would cost.

We've been charged 157EURO, for 6 months! What the hell, so 314EURO for the year... which is outragous.

I thought it was just a one off payment, but was told it's per year? Is that right?

What exactly is this payment for? I seem to remember forking out a shed load for Stamp duty.

And what's the deal with water charges?

We've kept the rent down for the past couple of years, it's about 15% lower than the market value... so, I don't think it's unreasonable to put the rent up a bit.

Can't believe I'm on the other side of the world and still being screwed by the Irish bloody government.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

bacon? wrote: »
    I've been away for a while, joint own a house in Dublin. I knew that this property tax thing was coming up, but had no idea how much it would cost.

We've been charged 157EURO, for 6 months! What the hell, so 314EURO for the year... which is outragous.

I thought it was just a one off payment, but was told it's per year? Is that right?

What exactly is this payment for? I seem to remember forking out a shed load for Stamp duty.

We've kept the rent down for the past couple of years, it's about 15% lower than the market value... so, I don't think it's unreasonable to put the rent up a bit.

Can't believe I'm on the other side of the world and still being screwed by the Irish bloody government.

welcome back to Ireland .... home of the taxable people !! (you can set the property price yourself if you think you are over paying)

you are entitled to put up the rent - but you may loose your tenants or may not be able to get new tenants when the lease is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Corkbah wrote: »
    welcome back to Ireland .... home of the taxable people !! (you can set the property price yourself if you think you are over paying)

you are entitled to put up the rent - but you may loose your tenants or may not be able to get new tenants when the lease is up for renewal.

That's what I'm afraid of. We're not greedy landlords, I rented myself for 5 years before buying.

We're charging only 300pm for a double room, they're currently on daft for 350 in the same area.

We don't want to put up the rent, but, if we keep being taxed, property tax, water charges, and what ever new tax is in the post... we may have to.

If it was me, back when I was renting, I wouldn't blame my landlord at all if they put it up, now, I'm only talking around a 5% increase here.

I'm amazed at how they're getting away with this, talk about kicking people when they're down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

It's per year, and within 5 years it will be around 1% of the property value per year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dissed doc wrote: »
    It's per year, and within 5 years it will be around 1% of the property value per year.

Pure speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

smccarrick wrote: »
    Pure speculation.
    Well taxes in this hellhole only go one way, and it sure as hell ain't goin down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Ireland is the one of the only economies in the OECD without a property tax. It will only will be a small fraction of the total Government revenue. There was an article in the Irish times how people have put up with massive VAT and excise duties increases which have made everyday items so much more expensive yet few people care.

If you want quality services expect to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Don't forget to declare your rental income for tax purposes too.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well taxes in this hellhole only go one way, and it sure as hell ain't goin down!
    It would have to increase more than 5 fold in 5 years to reach 1pct. There isn't a chance in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Yup, that!s us.Put up, pay up and shut up.....shrug sigh!

smccarrick wrote: »
    Pure speculation.

speculation based on some other countries in europe with property taxes comapring to the value of the homes. It varies for sure, but:

Denmark: 1% of value for homes under 3 million DKK (around 400k euro), and 3% over that.

UK: Council tax is e.g., Band D average UK£1268/yr. Band D house costs are from UK£68-88k. = 1.6% property tax

I would not expect the government do anything but ramp it up ASAP. A fair guess would be 1% of the property value per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Appropriate work being 'guess'.

No-one knows for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

hfallada wrote: »
    Ireland is the one of the only economies in the OECD without a property tax. It will only will be a small fraction of the total Government revenue. There was an article in the Irish times how people have put up with massive VAT and excise duties increases which have made everyday items so much more expensive yet few people care.

If you want quality services expect to pay for them.

But we already pay for them. Property taxes, like in the UK are fine as they pay for something, local services, bins etc. here it is a double tax
    Phoebas wrote: »
    It would have to increase more than 5 fold in 5 years to reach 1pct. There isn't a chance in hell.

I would put nothing past the scum in government. FF/FG/Lab. Different letters, but they all have two in common. B and S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

'Taxes are only for little people' and unfortunately you are just one of the little people. you may also be interested to know that you will receive sweet FA for the money you pay. The Government footsoldiers/apologists posting on here will try to lead you to believe all nonsencical theories about this tax. The plain truth is this is a 'bailout tax' designed to protect cronies and vested interests.
    Welcome to the ultimate BANANA REPUBLIC..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Local Property Tax is fixed until 2016, so you think within 2 budgets a newly elected Government, probably a coalition, will raise this 5 fold??

Local Property Tax is fixed until 2016, so you think within 2 budgets a newly elected Government, probably a coalition, will raise this 5 fold??

Suddenly we are supposed to believe what they say?

washman3 wrote: »
    'Taxes are only for little people' and unfortunately you are just one of the little people. you may also be interested to know that you will receive sweet FA for the money you pay. The Government footsoldiers/apologists posting on here will try to lead you to believe all nonsencical theories about this tax. The plain truth is this is a 'bailout tax' designed to protect cronies and vested interests.
    Welcome to the ultimate BANANA REPUBLIC..
    Uninformed rant tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

speculation based on some other countries in europe with property taxes comapring to the value of the homes. It varies for sure, but:

Denmark: 1% of value for homes under 3 million DKK (around 400k euro), and 3% over that.

UK: Council tax is e.g., Band D average UK£1268/yr. Band D house costs are from UK£68-88k. = 1.6% property tax

I would not expect the government do anything but ramp it up ASAP. A fair guess would be 1% of the property value per year.

The countries that you quote raise the tax differently. They have a residency based tax, paid irrespective of whether you are an owner or a tenant, and goes to local services, with visibility around how it is spent.

That is not what the Irish property tax is. It is simply a wealth tax, and 1% a year would not be a runner unless it were restructured to be like UK council tax (which I would support 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

So which country are you in and how much is property tax there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

The property valuation is fixed now until 2016, the charges are not. How many councils do we expect to go for the minus 15%?

"From 1 January 2015, local authorities will be able to vary LPT rates -/+ 15% of the national central rate."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What are the property tax rates where you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Not to diminish your sense of outrage, but €315 per year puts you in the 150,001 to 200,000 bracket. To put it in perspective, in Q1 the average price of a standard 3-bed semi-D in North & South Dublin city was €230k and €258k respectively. So there are plenty of people paying the same or considerably more than you to live in an average house in the city. These kinds of figures were being flagged online and in the media last Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

That's what I'm afraid of. We're not greedy landlords, I rented myself for 5 years before buying.

We're charging only 300pm for a double room, they're currently on daft for 350 in the same area.

We don't want to put up the rent, but, if we keep being taxed, property tax, water charges, and what ever new tax is in the post... we may have to.

If it was me, back when I was renting, I wouldn't blame my landlord at all if they put it up, now, I'm only talking around a 5% increase here.

I'm amazed at how they're getting away with this, talk about kicking people when they're down

You didn't even mention the nppr charge, the prtb charges and the loss of your trs for being a landlord and the 20% reduction in your rental income held by your tenants for being a non resident landlord. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Can anybody tell me why NPPR? is being charged when property tax is now in. Double taxation for the same property? FG/Labour give us a break.

This money would be better achieved by taxing the people who dropped us in the Sh1t in the first place?

I'll keep me voice quite now and try to lower my blood pressure before I give myself a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

JOSman wrote: »
    This money would be better achieved by taxing the people who dropped us in the Sh1t in the first place?

which is probably about 10 bankers, 10 politicians and 10 speculators in reality. All of which no longer work or live in this country. So taxing the people who caused this mess would be futile.
    Of course, the other argument would be that we all are responsible for being part of this mess by buying into it (excuse the pun).......... but thats a long discussion for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

JOSman wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why NPPR? is being charged when property tax is now in. Double taxation for the same property? FG/Labour give us a break.

I'll keep me voice quite now and try to lower my blood pressure before I give myself a heart attack.
    The NPPR is being replaced by the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Phoebas wrote: »
    The NPPR is being replaced by the LPT.

From 2014. They still sneaked in 2 years of charging twice.

• Advertisement

From 2014. They still sneaked in 2 years of charging twice.
    It was hardly sneaked in. They were very upfront about it.

Advertisement