Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax, what the hell?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That was 1994! 20 years ago. A LOT has changed since then

STOP PRESS!

Politician does something different when in power shock!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That was 1994! 20 years ago. A LOT has changed since then

Yes, Enda is in power now.;)
    was he being populast in 1994? the same hypocrite that accused Claire Daly just this very day in the Dail of being populist.
    It seems if and when this government implement a 'chimney tax' the ever reliable footsoldiers will be posting here to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This ignores economics though. The laws of supply and demand would disagree with your points. Some landlord will try to price above the market and others will price below the market. All things being equal the cheaper houses will go first with the more expensive houses being vacant for longer ie costing the LL more.
    By your rationale any LL who is getting less rent that the value of their mortgage would simply up the rent. Therefore in a time of mortgage interest rate increases rents would increase. This is simply not the case.
    If a landlord did chance their arm sticking in a non material increase to a tenant in an area where rents are falling then if the tenant refuses I can guarantee that the LL will back down. If in an area where rents are increasing then the tenant may have to pay or move out. Again neither has any relation to any tax.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it works out. I agree that in weaker rental markets the landlord probably wont be able to pass this charge onto the tenant, but in any area that has an any ways healthy rental market Id be very surprised if rents dont rise slightly to reflect this charge. Time will tell I suppose.

Advertisement