Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark GAA pitch like Aussie Rules

• 16-06-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Just wondering would it not make more sense to have 45m and 65m marked as an arc on GAA pitches to give a true reflection of distances in game. Especially football where a 45 near the touchline is probably close to 60m. I know the 21m would create a problem where you could end up with a free on the endline as it would be outside the arc but I do think the other 2 would be an option. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Interesting idea. Would never happen of course.

Personally I always questioned the idea of 45's and especially 65's. In hurling, a good u-14 freetaker regularly puts 65's over the bar. A goalkeepers reward for making a good save a knocking the ball around the post is a 'free' for the opponent, 80%-90% of the time resulting in a point. How is that fair? Same with a defender making a brave block down and the ball going behind. His reward for stopping a point for the opponents is a near certain point for the opponents?

Traditionalists would puke at the suggestion, but I always thought something similar to soccer would work. Placing the ball in the corner (or even 21 yard sidline), and letting the team awarded cut the ball in similar to a sideline ball. Anyways, would never happen. The GAA allows small rule changes from time to time but will never asllow something drastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Isn't an aussie rules pitch round?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

No its circular :)

I am on about 45 and 65m lines.. not whole pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Would never happen of course.

Personally I always questioned the idea of 45's and especially 65's. In hurling, a good u-14 freetaker regularly puts 65's over the bar. A goalkeepers reward for making a good save a knocking the ball around the post is a 'free' for the opponent, 80%-90% of the time resulting in a point. How is that fair? Same with a defender making a brave block down and the ball going behind. His reward for stopping a point for the opponents is a near certain point for the opponents?

Traditionalists would puke at the suggestion, but I always thought something similar to soccer would work. Placing the ball in the corner (or even 21 yard sidline), and letting the team awarded cut the ball in similar to a sideline ball. Anyways, would never happen. The GAA allows small rule changes from time to time but will never asllow something drastic.

Or maybe a 65 that you can't score directly from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Jarjohn wrote: »
    No its circular :)

I am on about 45 and 65m lines.. not whole pitch.

A 45/65 from the sideline should be more difficult to score than one close to the centre of the field.

When a back knocks the ball over the endline over near the corner of the field he isn't preventing a good scoring opportunity and therefore it shouldnt be easy to score the resulting 45/65, when he does the same thing close to the goals he is preventing a scoring opppurtunity and therefore the defender should be more likely to be punished by conceding from the resulting 45/65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A 45/65 from the sideline should be more difficult to score than one close to the centre of the field.

When a back knocks the ball over the endline over near the corner of the field he isn't preventing a good scoring opportunity and therefore it shouldnt be easy to score the resulting 45/65, when he does the same thing close to the goals he is preventing a scoring opppurtunity and therefore the defender should be more likely to be punished by conceding from the resulting 45/65

It will still be more difficult it will just be from the distance it's supposed to be from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

if you make it in an arc the shots from out near the sideline will not get any easier, more difficult if anything because you are making the angle less.
    Look at how far out they go in rugby when converting to get a good angle at the post.

Advertisement