Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary Info Thread

Options
  • 16-06-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Been thinking of doing this for a while, here's some info for anyone thinking of coming to Calgary. Feel free to add.

First Night
    Now obviously, unless you're a strong swimmer, you're going to land at the Airport. Taxi's are everywhere outside and will cost you about $40 to get downtown. For accomadation I'd recommend Wicked Hostel. The rates are pretty good, private rooms available if your landing with the missus or hubby and they offer free WiFi, computers and international Skype to Landline calls. Owners a nice guy as well.

Finding your way around
    The C-Train is right beside the door of Wicked Hostel. You can ride downtown for free and otherwise is $3 a go, the ticket is transferable for 90mins to other lines and also busses. The same goes for bus tickets. A month pass is $95 and can be bought at Co-Op, Safeway, Macs, 7-Eleven. I found for the first while a phone with google maps was invaluable.

Your first place
    Kijiji, PadMapper and Rentfaster are the three main I use. Generally leases start at the 1st of the month over here, although if the place is vacant they may let you move in earlier. Security deposit can be anywhere from 30 -100% of the rent. 90% of the time they are unfurnished and heating is included. Depending where you want to live price varies. When I first landed I had a 1 bed just of the bar strip on 17av for $850 a month, now I have a big 2 bed a bit deeper south for $1150. The NW is just as nice at a bit lower cost. I've been told to stay away from the NE. Places go fast in Calgary, I learnt that the hard way the second time I rented.

Furniture
    Now that you have somewhere to live you'll need something to sit on. When we arrived we we're on a budget so we went to the MCC Thrift and got a Sofa, table, tv stand, floor lamp and otterman for $170. Now this stuff is second hand but in damn good condition. If you want to save money I'd highly recommend it. You can get your stuff home with any "Man with Van" you see on Kijiji, usually only about $50. For the bed, Salvation Army Thrift Store. They sell new beds from under $300, you'll need your now new "Friend with Van"
    Now all that being said if you're on the budget the above is definitely your way forward. If you've recently won the lotto, robbed a bank or we're involved in Irish politics and fancy going for new stuff head to The Brick, Sleep Country or any other of the furniture stores around Calgary

Shopping
    Now this is where I was confused and the GF was in her prime. Its quite disorientating when you don't know what shop does what and trying to figure out why you can't buy potatoes at your local gas station. Walmart is awesome place to start, pretty much sells everything and will help you get set up with all the small things you need to set up as well as groceries. Check out Dollarama for general bits and bobs, especially kitchen utensils. SafeWay and Co-Op are good for fresh food, they even have somewhat of a butchers, they are far more expensive for your weekly shopping though.

Health Insurance
    It is a requirement of the IEC visa that you have travel insurance but as you choose Alberta you are completely entitled to Alberta Healthcare. This will cover hospital visits, any medication needed while in hospital as well as trips to the local GP. It won't cover ambulance rides or medication prescribed outside of your hospital stay. It is worth noting though that medication is cheaper over here

SIN Number
    This is the Canadaian equivalent of a PPS number and can be applied for at your local Service Canada, in Calgary's case the Harry Hays Building. It will take up to two weeks to receive the card in the post but they will issue your with your number on the spot. This is all free just remember to bring your passport, work permit and a proof of address (your new lease will do).

Driving Licence/ID
    Now the Canadian system is a little different. They call is a graduated testing system. Firstly you'll apply for your Class 7 with a pretty simple theory test that can be sat at any registry office for about $20. You can also pick up a revision book there for free or try this online practice test. Once you've passed you'll be qualified to drive while accompanied by a Class 5 Advanced licence holder, you must hold this licence for a year before moving on

The Class 5 GDL is your next step, it's a full driving test again sat at any registry for about $80 and will qualify you to drive on your own. And lastly,after holding your GDL for two years there is the Class 5 Advanced where you will sit a "advanced road test"... I sat it... its not advanced, its basically just drive around for a while. A list of differences between the three can be found here

Now I know this seems long a drawn out but if you've held your full Irish licence for over two years you'll be entitled to just sit the initial Class 7 theory and then about two weeks later sit your Class 5 Advanced. Before you leave the motherland pop into your local County Council office and ask for a record of your driving history, this will allow the Canadian to see how long you've been fully qualified in Ireland. Hand this in with your paperwork when you pass your Class 7. They should come back with their decision in a few weeks.

There was talk a year ago about a Irish-Canadian agreement to straight swap our licences, nothing has happened yet.

ID
    There's a strong chance your going to have trouble using your Irish ID. The policy over here is to ID under 25 and they're pretty strict. If your don't drive you can apply for Alberta ID at any registry for around $40. They'll take your pictures there free of charge and it'll be arrive in about a week.

Looking for Work
    Now I guess this depends on what kind of work you're looking for. Personally I started out working in a bar, this was a simple as walk into every bar I seen for a few hours, next day a few called me and I picked one. The same idea goes for most retail/bar/restaurant jobs. Basically if you can't find a job in a day or two you ain't looking properly. After getting sick of bar work I got into construction, now this is easy to get into with no experience, check Kijiji for general labouring, you'll start at about $20 a hour. If you have a trade you'll obviously start at much higher and in most cases you'll be able to start working before you have to sit your Journey Man certification. One thing to note about construction, some sectors are seasonal. I don't have any experience with professional work over here but from what I hear the hiring process can be long a drawn out. For anyone going through this route I'd recommend taking any job you can find to support you while you apply for what you want to do

Taxes
    Tax will be deducted from every pay cheque. However every April you're expected to file a tax return, in most cases you'll be owed money. Now because you're a shiney new resident you won't be able to send your return electronically and will have to resort to the old fashioned paper method. Around March employers you've had for the year will send you T4 Slips. Take these and go to TurboTax or HR Block Online. You can follow a step by step guide which will result in a fully filled out tax return. All you have to do is print and post to the Revenue Office. All this will cost about $17.

Now you can go into your local HR Block and have them do it there, they wanted $128 from me. Seemed a bit ridiculous especially considering I'd come up with the same refund they had.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

very helpful, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Wow, this must have taken you ages to write up! very generous of you, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

thanks for this, living in ****hole Brandon Manitoba at the moment, should have pr status in august, cannot wait to get to calgary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Probably one of the most informative posts I've read on boards, and I'm not even thinking of moving to Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaineyB

Thank you so much for writing this thread. Its greatly appreciated and so much help!!
    We are moving over in October and could do with all the tips.
    Any suggestions on areas that we could be looking at on the rental sites please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I agree with the above. Great post! I had no intention of moving to Canada but am spending the summer with friends about 30 minutes from Calgary and am in love with this country. Everyone is so friendly and the amount of jobs is ridiculous. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Thank you great post! I'm in Edmonton at the moment and getting my healthcare sorted. Do you have any idea if I can go to the doctor straight away or is there a length of time I have to be living in Canada? Can't find the answer online.

bearhugs wrote: »
    Thank you great post! I'm in Edmonton at the moment and getting my healthcare sorted. Do you have any idea if I can go to the doctor straight away or is there a length of time I have to be living in Canada? Can't find the answer online.

Hi.Alberta apparently has fantastic healthcare in comparison to some other states.
    i believe as long as your in d Country for at least 3 months you're covered.
    i had another thread called ICE Canada & pregnant on d go and i think there's a link in there about health cover (im using d phone app at work so i can't post it in for you coz ill lose this post..sorry about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

bearhugs wrote: »

You need to find a doctor who will see you first !

Its hard to find a doctor in calgary , theres a shortage so they only see a set number of patients , there spaces fill up , then theres a waiting list ....
    bit of joke really you cant just go to any doctor .

plus if you find a doctor who will take you as there patient and decide over time you want to change for whatever reason . you have to write a letter explaining genuine reasons why you want to leave that doctor and want a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Thanks for the info. Ill try to find a doctor around so, just for peace of mind! Anyone else in Edmonton have trouble finding a doctor to take them on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lovemytea

doctor in Bonnie Doon area is meant to be good, takes on new patients...

oh and make sure you apply for alberta health card. Loads of offices around Edmonton.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Been thinking of doing this for a while, here's some info for anyone thinking of coming to Calgary. Feel free to add.

First Night
    Now obviously, unless you're a strong swimmer, you're going to land at the Airport. Taxi's are everywhere outside and will cost you about $40 to get downtown. For accomadation I'd recommend Wicked Hostel. The rates are pretty good, private rooms available if your landing with the missus or hubby and they offer free WiFi, computers and international Skype to Landline calls. Owners a nice guy as well.

Finding your way around
    The C-Train is right beside the door of Wicked Hostel. You can ride downtown for free and otherwise is $3 a go, the ticket is transferable for 90mins to other lines and also busses. The same goes for bus tickets. A month pass is $95 and can be bought at Co-Op, Safeway, Macs, 7-Eleven. I found for the first while a phone with google maps was invaluable.

Your first place
    Kijiji, PadMapper and Rentfaster are the three main I use. Generally leases start at the 1st of the month over here, although if the place is vacant they may let you move in earlier. Security deposit can be anywhere from 30 -100% of the rent. 90% of the time they are unfurnished and heating is included. Depending where you want to live price varies. When I first landed I had a 1 bed just of the bar strip on 17av for $850 a month, now I have a big 2 bed a bit deeper south for $1150. The NW is just as nice at a bit lower cost. I've been told to stay away from the NE. Places go fast in Calgary, I learnt that the hard way the second time I rented.

Furniture
    Now that you have somewhere to live you'll need something to sit on. When we arrived we we're on a budget so we went to the MCC Thrift and got a Sofa, table, tv stand, floor lamp and otterman for $170. Now this stuff is second hand but in damn good condition. If you want to save money I'd highly recommend it. You can get your stuff home with any "Man with Van" you see on Kijiji, usually only about $50. For the bed, Salvation Army Thrift Store. They sell new beds from under $300, you'll need your now new "Friend with Van"
    Now all that being said if you're on the budget the above is definitely your way forward. If you've recently won the lotto, robbed a bank or we're involved in Irish politics and fancy going for new stuff head to The Brick, Sleep Country or any other of the furniture stores around Calgary

Shopping
    Now this is where I was confused and the GF was in her prime. Its quite disorientating when you don't know what shop does what and trying to figure out why you can't buy potatoes at your local gas station. Walmart is awesome place to start, pretty much sells everything and will help you get set up with all the small things you need to set up as well as groceries. Check out Dollarama for general bits and bobs, especially kitchen utensils. SafeWay and Co-Op are good for fresh food, they even have somewhat of a butchers, they are far more expensive for your weekly shopping though.

Health Insurance
    It is a requirement of the IEC visa that you have travel insurance but as you choose Alberta you are completely entitled to Alberta Healthcare. This will cover hospital visits, any medication needed while in hospital as well as trips to the local GP. It won't cover ambulance rides or medication prescribed outside of your hospital stay. It is worth noting though that medication is cheaper over here

SIN Number
    This is the Canadaian equivalent of a PPS number and can be applied for at your local Service Canada, in Calgary's case the Harry Hays Building. It will take up to two weeks to receive the card in the post but they will issue your with your number on the spot. This is all free just remember to bring your passport, work permit and a proof of address (your new lease will do).

Driving Licence/ID
    Now the Canadian system is a little different. They call is a graduated testing system. Firstly you'll apply for your Class 7 with a pretty simple theory test that can be sat at any registry office for about $20. You can also pick up a revision book there for free or try this online practice test. Once you've passed you'll be qualified to drive while accompanied by a Class 5 Advanced licence holder, you must hold this licence for a year before moving on

The Class 5 GDL is your next step, it's a full driving test again sat at any registry for about $80 and will qualify you to drive on your own. And lastly,after holding your GDL for two years there is the Class 5 Advanced where you will sit a "advanced road test"... I sat it... its not advanced, its basically just drive around for a while. A list of differences between the three can be found here

Now I know this seems long a drawn out but if you've held your full Irish licence for over two years you'll be entitled to just sit the initial Class 7 theory and then about two weeks later sit your Class 5 Advanced. Before you leave the motherland pop into your local County Council office and ask for a record of your driving history, this will allow the Canadian to see how long you've been fully qualified in Ireland. Hand this in with your paperwork when you pass your Class 7. They should come back with their decision in a few weeks.

There was talk a year ago about a Irish-Canadian agreement to straight swap our licences, nothing has happened yet.

ID
    There's a strong chance your going to have trouble using your Irish ID. The policy over here is to ID under 25 and they're pretty strict. If your don't drive you can apply for Alberta ID at any registry for around $40. They'll take your pictures there free of charge and it'll be arrive in about a week.

Looking for Work
    Now I guess this depends on what kind of work you're looking for. Personally I started out working in a bar, this was a simple as walk into every bar I seen for a few hours, next day a few called me and I picked one. The same idea goes for most retail/bar/restaurant jobs. Basically if you can't find a job in a day or two you ain't looking properly. After getting sick of bar work I got into construction, now this is easy to get into with no experience, check Kijiji for general labouring, you'll start at about $20 a hour. If you have a trade you'll obviously start at much higher and in most cases you'll be able to start working before you have to sit your Journey Man certification. One thing to note about construction, some sectors are seasonal. I don't have any experience with professional work over here but from what I hear the hiring process can be long a drawn out. For anyone going through this route I'd recommend taking any job you can find to support you while you apply for what you want to do

Taxes
    Tax will be deducted from every pay cheque. However every April you're expected to file a tax return, in most cases you'll be owed money. Now because you're a shiney new resident you won't be able to send your return electronically and will have to resort to the old fashioned paper method. Around March employers you've had for the year will send you T4 Slips. Take these and go to TurboTax or HR Block Online. You can follow a step by step guide which will result in a fully filled out tax return. All you have to do is print and post to the Revenue Office. All this will cost about $17.

Now you can go into your local HR Block and have them do it there, they wanted $128 from me. Seemed a bit ridiculous especially considering I'd come up with the same refund they had.

found this SO HELPFUL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time and effort, really helps for newbie's heading to calgary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Cheers OP. Would you or anyone be able to give me an idea what kind of weekly wage you come out with in a bar. Trying to budget my accommodation but it's very difficult with relying on tips to make a good estimate.

Hi folks,
    Would anyone know what's the most reliable truck to buy in Canada please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hi guys. I'm going to Calgary in September for a few months. What's the best way to spend my money over there?
    My Irish credit card?
    Just getting a whole load of euro to dollars?
    Or another option?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Do you know anybody in Calgary? not sure if its an option but you could use currencyfair to buy your canadian dollars then transfer the money into a friends account in Calgary and then withdraw it over there, the rate would be far better than what the bank can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gunner22

Hi people, what is the story with a mobile phone over in Calgary? Can you use your Irish mobile there or do you have to buy a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Gunner22 wrote: »
    Hi people, what is the story with a mobile phone over in Calgary? Can you use your Irish mobile there or do you have to buy a new one?

Yep you can use your Irish phone. If it's locked to an Irish network you'll have to get it unlocked if you want to use a Canadian sim. My iPhone took 2 days to unlock through Three. I now have a Koodo prepaid plan as for month to month billing or bill pay you need a credit check - once you get here your Irish credit history doesn't count so you don't have one here yet. They said to call back in 6 months to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gunner22

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

LaineyB wrote: »
    Hi.Alberta apparently has fantastic healthcare in comparison to some other states.
    t)

In these here parts, we call them provinces, eh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Not to mention it's the dullest, least cultural place I've ever had the misfortune to spend a whole year in. It's near to some beautiful outdoors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Phoenix wrote: »
    If you want to avoid loads of bank charges and fees presidents choice no fee banking.
    here are comparisons with other banks
    http://www.nofeebanking.ca/forum/content.php?183-best-no-fee-chequing-accounts-in-canada

Not sure where (s)he mentioned anything about bank charges in the previous post. :confused:

Anyway, useful link... cheers. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement