Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

• 16-06-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I've been to a good few games this season following my team and while I enjoy it for the most part, there's one chap who really irks me! Anytime the ref blows for a decision he doesn't like, this chap loses it. He effs and blinds out of him non stop, which we all do in fairness, but he does it for every minor little thing like a throw in. He will scale 3 rows and have to be told by stewards to return to his spot. On occasion, he's run as far as the barrier and motions that he'll get the ref. I'd love to see what he'd do if not stopped :rolleyes: Now I'm aware that its an emotional and passion fueled game, but this guy is in his 50's at least and goes bonkers.

Then the last time I was at the pub for a game, was a United vs City game, there was the bar version of this chap. He would go mad 'at the ref' from his table. At one point he left is seat and squared up to the television!! Even more cring-worthy was the fact that his freinds were holding him back saying ''Just leave it Kev'', as if he was gonna do something! Mind boggling.

So what's the thing(s) that make you cringe on the football front. You can explain it with a story or with a video or pics if you have them off hand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fans in pubs singing and chanting in English accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Omackeral wrote: »
    So what's the thing(s) that make you cringe on the football front.

Getting one flush in the town halls! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paddy Crerand

No story needs telling or video as too many to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Garth Crooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Robbie Keane's 'slingshot' celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

League of Ireland football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

keith16 wrote: »
    Fans in pubs singing and chanting in English accents.

That happens at League of Ireland games too. Absolutely bizzare. 'Easy, easy, easy' and 'Who are ya?' being top offenders.

Pedalstool wrote: »

1367743179052.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Maybe you should change your name to Barstool instead of Pedalstool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    Garth Crooks

I think he's brilliant. Really knowledgeable pundit.

o-MORRISON-570.jpg?6
    So, to the final matter at hand: Is Garth Crooks a penis in disguise? Well, the investigation is ongoing. I think the best thing I can liken him to is the feeling you get when you have a horrendous hangover and go for a whizz. It burns your penis ever so slightly (or maybe that's just me). He is similar to that feeling. He manages to make me pull the same face as I do when I get the burning sensation: teeth clenched, eyes closed ever so slightly. Anger.

Conclusion: Garth Crooks is a 'Burn as you piss penis'. Is there anything worse than that? I doubt it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11023-garth-crooks-still-a-penis

Garth-Crooks-e1352422075981.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Olé, Olé....and Fields of A ****e:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Particularly in the last season the infiltration of full songs like 'Hold Me Now' at Bohs and 'I Follow Rivers' at Rovers have had me cringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

People using the term 'We' or 'Us' in reference to a team that they have no involvement with bar watching them on the television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

"No to modern football"

"We outnumbered/outsang the other supporters." What age are you????

"We took <insert number> to <insert place> and nobody got arrested". Well done for not getting arrested, it must have been really hard :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Supporters saying "We"

"We should have at least gotten a draw away to Spurs"

"We bought well over the summer"

"We were robbed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

George Hamiltons pronunciation of certain names and words. Mesut Ouwzeel, Edgar Davidge and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

"Supporters" who constantly abuse players from their own team

Grown men wearing replica jersies (a t-shirt, polo is acceptable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

Here here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

GTR63 wrote: »
    George Hamiltons pronunciation of certain names and words. Mesut Ouwzeel, Edgar Davidge and so on.

I am not a fan of Hamilton but he pronounces the names the way they are pronounced locally. He makes a concerted effort to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Poznan/Grecque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

With names and numbers on the back.

That actually makes you cringe?

Attending a match must be a painful experience with all the face contortions from cringing at all the unacceptable grown men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The Office.

I am not a fan of Hamilton but he pronounces the names the way they are pronounced locally. He makes a concerted effort to do this.

I know but it sounds perfect when a German says it but when he does it in their accent it doesn't.
    Ger Canning and Peter Collins doing commentary is a bit cringey too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Joe ****ing Kinnear being in any way associated with my club.

Jesus H Christ.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

GTR63 wrote: »
    I know but it sounds perfect when a German says it but when he does it in their accent it doesn't.
    Ger Canning and Peter Collins doing commentary is a bit cringey too.

This is one of the saddest threads ever.

George Hamilton speaks fluent German

LOI Football makes one poster cringe - daft. For instance if you have ever been to a european club game rival fans regard us as just the same as any other league. No difference.

Of course fans are going to refer to their team as "we" - it would be daft not to.

What makes me cringe are people who pontificate about this and that but have been to maybe one or two games and regard themselves as experts.

This is one of the saddest threads ever.

George Hamilton speaks fluent German

LOI Football makes one poster cringe - daft. For instance if you have ever been to a european club game rival fans regard us as just the same as any other league. No difference.

Of course fans are going to refer to their team as "we" - it would be daft not to.

What makes me cringe are people who pontificate about this and that but have been to maybe one or two games and regard themselves as experts.

Seems like you're pontificating that people shouldn't pontificate.

This is like the Inception of cringe.

dan1895 wrote: »
    With their own name and numbers on the back.
    fyp

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Seems like you're pontificating that people shouldn't pontificate.

This is like the Inception of cringe.

The inception of cringe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That annoying tune
    Dododododo dodododo dooooooo doo doo dodo dododododo.

It is sung at most clubs in the epl and normally something inflammatory towards another club. For example manu fans sing "its never your fault" about liverpool at a bloody west brom game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Supporters that say "we have the best fans" I am a Leeds fan and I hear it all the time, makes me cringe.

The inception of cringe?

Cringe within a cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That annoying tune
    Dododododo dodododo dooooooo doo doo dodo dododododo.

It is sung at most clubs in the epl and normally something inflammatory towards another club. For example manu fans sing "its never your fault" about liverpool at a bloody west brom game.

Is it just me or is that the Indiana Jones theme?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That actually makes you cringe?

Attending a match must be a painful experience with all the face contortions from cringing at all the unacceptable grown men.

I've never seen any LOI adult fan wearing a jersey nor in my trips to Germany, holland etc.

It's only in this country and England where I've witnessed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

People using the term 'We' or 'Us' in reference to a team that they have no involvement with bar watching them on the television.

Pro. F wrote:
    Normal people use ''we'', ''they'', ''them'', ''us'', ''the club'', ''the squad'' or ''the team'' as it feels appropriate. Many times when you are discussing an event, which involves two clubs or teams or squads or whatever, you need to differentiate between the two and referring to everybody as ''they/them'' will obviously be confusing. Going out of your way to ensure you use the proper names instead of pronouns (we, us / they, them) every single time is a clunky and unnecessary affectation which speaks of your insecurities.

I, and every other sane person on this thread, am going to continue to use ''we/us'' when appropriate as it makes a quick and easy differentiation between the team we support and the other team we are talking about.

• Advertisement

I've never seen any LOI adult fan wearing a jersey nor in my trips to Germany, holland etc.

Funny, I've witnessed the complete opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hahaha what nonsense. You see it in every country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

The Irish people who support english clubs. But hate the English national team. And when Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Rooney wear the english jersey, utd liverpool, chelsea, arsenal fans call them "scum" and love when England lose.

Anyone one of us who support english clubs, could name the england squad.

Other than Ireland, I like to see England do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

People who bad mouth the tabloid press, but drool over twitter.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Hahaha what nonsense. You see it in every country.

Calm down my friend. I never suggested it doesn't happen in other countries.

I'm saying it is more common place here. Even worse when they wear a jumper underneath the jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

inmyday wrote: »
    The Irish people who support english clubs. But hate the English national team. And when Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Rooney wear the english jersey, utd liverpool, chelsea, arsenal fans call them "scum" and love when England lose.

Anyone one of us who support english clubs, could name the england squad.

Other than Ireland, I like to see England do well.

This rarely happens with any decent football fans. I don't know any liverpool supporter who actually gives a **** about liverpool that would say a single bad word against any liverpool player when he plays for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

David Forde
    Alan Mannus
    Stephen Ward
    Damien Delaney
    Kevin Long
    Enda Stevens
    Paul McGrath
    Keith Fahey
    James McClean
    Niall McGinn
    Paddy McCourt
    Roy Keane
    David Meyler
    Wes Hoolahan
    Stephen Quinn
    Noel Hunt
    Paddy Madden
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long

I probably missed a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Irish people getting upset or outraged at geographical rivalries in England. They have no affiliation to the club and no connection to the region... wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

David Forde
    Alan Mannus
    Stephen Ward
    Damien Delaney
    Kevin Long
    Enda Stevens
    Paul McGrath
    Keith Fahey
    James McClean
    Niall McGinn
    Paddy McCourt
    Roy Keane
    David Meyler
    Wes Hoolahan
    Stephen Quinn
    Noel Hunt
    Paddy Madden
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long

I probably missed a few.

The best of the lot....Daryll Murphy :pac:

Ah not this **** again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I probably missed a few.

The best ex-LOI player of the current bunch, Seamus Coleman :)

When Tony O'Donnahue used to recap the premier league results and mention Senor Trappatoni will be watching X and Y in anticipation of the upcoming game against Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

The poznan. Its a stupid piece of crap, how does turning your back on the pitch support your team?

Eamon Dunphy recent hissy fit after the Champions League.

Bill O'Herlihy saying its a sad night or a bad night for football whenever Man United are knocked out of the CL.

Some of Dave Barry incoherent ramblings on MNS.

Peter Collins as host of MNS. Unlike many I dont mind him as a commentator but hes shocking on MNS. Its fairly obvious that he doesnt care apart from the National Team and possibly Shamrock Rovers.

The never beat the Irish chant. Its not funny and is extremely stupid to be singing that especially when we are losing.

kksaints wrote: »
    The poznan. Its a stupid piece of crap, how does turning your back on the pitch support your team?

Eamon Dunphy recent hissy fit after the Champions League.

Bill O'Herlihy saying its a sad night or a bad night for football whenever Man United are knocked out of the CL.

Some of Dave Barry incoherent ramblings on MNS.

Peter Collins as host of MNS. Unlike many I dont mind him as a commentator but hes shocking on MNS. Its fairly obvious that he doesnt care apart from the National Team and possibly Shamrock Rovers.

The never beat the Irish chant. Its not funny and is extremely stupid to be singing that especially when we are losing.

The Poznan was cool till Ireland started doing it.

I have never heard you never beat the Irish chant at Football games in years.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The best ex-LOI player of the current bunch, Seamus Coleman :)

The best ex LOI player by a country mile was John O' Flynn - pity he got injured as he was never the same since. A much better striker than Shane Long or Kevin Doyle until that injury. They weren't in the same class tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement