Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Poznan was cool till Ireland started doing it.

I have never heard you never beat the Irish chant at Football games in years.

Guess you missed the recent game with England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Guess you missed the recent game with England

wow 1 game in 15 years.

Woopdy dooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that the Indiana Jones theme?

Beach Boys - Sloop John D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

David Forde
    Alan Mannus
    Stephen Ward
    Damien Delaney
    Kevin Long
    Enda Stevens
    Paul McGrath
    Keith Fahey
    James McClean
    Niall McGinn
    Paddy McCourt
    Roy Keane
    David Meyler
    Wes Hoolahan
    Stephen Quinn
    Noel Hunt
    Paddy Madden
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long

I probably missed a few.

5043-cringe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Poznan was cool till Ireland started doing it.

I have never heard you never beat the Irish chant at Football games in years.

Never thought it was cool. Always thought it was stupid and that turnng your back on the players or pitch is a sign of disrespect to either team.

Another thing I forgot about and thankfully seemed to have disappeared was this thing of fans pretending they have scored a goal. Was completely foolish and thankfully Ive only seen this once (at a match I was at) as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kksaints wrote: »
    Never thought it was cool. Always thought it was stupid and that turnng your back on the players or pitch is a sign of disrespect to either team.

Another thing I forgot about and thankfully seemed to have disappeared was this thing of fans pretending they have scored a goal. Was completely foolish and thankfully Ive only seen this once (at a match I was at) as far as I can recall.

I agree with your second one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The best ex LOI player by a country mile was John O' Flynn - pity he got injured as he was never the same since. A much better striker than Shane Long or Kevin Doyle until that injury. They weren't in the same class tbh.

A great player indeed.Its a pity he didnt get a shot off the Premier league.He is after scoring 52 goals in 5 seasons so far since going to England.He scored 68 in 138 games in the LOI.

Ironically,he might be playing against Doyle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

That annoying tune
    Dododododo dodododo dooooooo doo doo dodo dododododo.

It is sung at most clubs in the epl and normally something inflammatory towards another club. For example manu fans sing "its never your fault" about liverpool at a bloody west brom game.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that the Indiana Jones theme?
    Superbus wrote: »
    Beach Boys - Sloop John D

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Surprised no one mentioned Simon Cox playing right wing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Whenever I have the misfortune of having to watch a game on ITV, and that cock Adrian Chiles is there to ruin my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Football snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

latenia wrote: »
    Robbie Keane's 'slingshot' celebration.

You must have a tough life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

People passing off whatever ****e Dunphy spouts as their own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

That annoying tune
    Dododododo dodododo dooooooo doo doo dodo dododododo.

It is sung at most clubs in the epl and normally something inflammatory towards another club. For example manu fans sing "its never your fault" about liverpool at a bloody west brom game.

http://youtu.be/pK9Mg6gXGdk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hearing Irish fans singing 'The Fields of anfield Road. A song symolising the Irish famine being turned into a brutal anthem, by those who caused it. Seriously?

The song used to be used (in natural ballad form) only by Athenry and Galway Gaa in sporting terms. They now hate it. It's been turned into a rather horrible anthem by Munster and Celtic who have very little connection to it. For Christ's sake at least learn the verses, which are far more important to the songs meaning (and those teams only connection to it), rather than chanting the chorus.

Hearing them singing the original version is bad enough. Hearing anfield belting out a brutalised version is even worse. The numerous Irish fans going over, condoning and joining in is the definition of cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Irish fans calling anyone who supports their teams local rivals 'scum' (ie united fans calling city fans scum or anyone from spurs side of N London being called scum by SFC fans) Very annoying to see tweets etc along the lines of 'delighted the scum lost'

The saying that a person was 'born to support x team'. Seing it increasingly on twiiter recently. You were not, most just started following whichever team was doing well when they were a kid.

Random enough, but most of the things that make me cringe have already been posted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In terms of the chanting in an English accent, it's a song, you sing it as you hear it.

For example, you'd sing Sex Pistols songs in a English accent, or Green Day songs in an American.

It doesn't really happen in the LOI either, I find it quite funny sometimes hearing a Cork/Derry accent in a chant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Irish United and Liverpool fans calling themselves and each other Mancs and Scousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

This won't be a popular choice but it genuinely makes me cringe so I'm compelled to post:

When players point to the sky after they have scored in dedication to their God or someone who has died. As an atheist I find it so simplistic and it almost sums up the dumb modern footballer. Add to that the fact that they all copy each other in doing it and then it becomes yet another generic celebration.

I really don't want to bring religious beliefs into this thread but I immediately thought about this when I read the thread title. It's not so much the religious element that bothers me. It's the unoriginality of the players.

• Advertisement

130203105059-gareth-bale-single-image-cut.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Liverpool's Fields of Anfield Road chant doesn't make any sense, stupid chant, the fact that it's so popular amongst them makes me cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Had 2 Leeds fans get onto me today saying that the majority of United fans are from India or Saudi Arabia.

And how United claim 659 million people support them while the population of Manchester is 512,000 so half must be city fans so in turn, club's supporters are from India, Saudi Arabia or surrounding countries.

Only a Leeds fan would make it out that a team with global support is a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Looks like Bale is wearing a mask in that picture. Maybe its really Ronaldo and not infact Bale:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks like Jim Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some of the hyperbole around Spain and Barca over the past few years has been horrendous.

Both great sides of course but fuck me, there are some people out there who need a good kick up the hole after hearing them talk about "the right way to play football".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bill, Eamonn And Giles.

Funnily enough Giles is grand on newstalk but on the TV, they just get into their cringeworthy shtick.

Load of rubbish. Stage managed stereotypical formulaic nonsense. There may as well not actually be a game at this point given how predictable they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When lads do an interview after the game in an Irish jersey and have the thickest English accents. Just so so odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fans of football teams watching games in bars who stand up and applaud the screen after the game is over. Never understood that.

Its not as if the players can hear them, I'm guessing its done to impress the people in the bar to show how true a fan they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Once seen a street fight in Derry between Man Utd and Liverpool fans, maybe involving up to a dozen.

Irish people fighting over English football teams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fields of Anfield Road.
    United's version of "Take Me Home".

The rock the baby celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fans of football teams watching games in bars who stand up and applaud the screen after the game is over. Never understood that.

Its not as if the players can hear them, I'm guessing its done to impress the people in the bar to show how true a fan they are.

What bars do you people be going to?
    I've never seen anybody do anything like this or squaring up to a TV as said earlier :confused:

The most I've ever heard was a cheer for a goal or a shout of encouragement.
    I can only hope it's you that's in the minority and not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

"Anything can happen in football".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Trap interviews. Why do they bother showing them? I never have a bloody clue what he's blathering on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Only thing that really gets to me is how commentators pronounce Cahill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I know a lad who I have seen crying after United got knocked out of the Champions league but couldn't give a rats ass about Ireland results.
    It just doesn't seem right!

Lads who say 'I'd support Liverpool/United/Barca even if the turned to sh**e and got relegated/demoted to the lower leagues''....same people slag LoI teams as they perceive the quality to be lesser than that of the EPL.

Just read that he is trademarking this celebration...so its even more cringeworthy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I find this more odd/amusing than cringe but

When its almost as important for fans to abuse opposition players as support the team you've gone to see.
    Look at any corner being taken if the player taking it is in front of opposition fans. All the fans making the wa*ker sign and giving the finger and shouting abuse at him as if said player stolen all belonging to said fans.

If it was primary school kids fair enough, but grown men.

Utd fans giving out about Suarez diving when there's Young and Nani playing for Utd, ditto Liverpool fans giving out about Young or Bale for diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What bars do you people be going to?
    I've never seen anybody do anything like this or squaring up to a TV as said earlier :confused:

The most I've ever heard was a cheer for a goal or a shout of encouragement.
    I can only hope it's you that's in the minority and not me.

I heard a few clowns booing the ref in the Woolshed on Parnell Street one Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dan1895 wrote: »
    I heard a few clowns booing the ref in the Woolshed on Parnell Street one Sunday.

Actually any adult booing, even at a match is one of the most cringe inducing things for me.
    It's what kids do at a pantomime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

markc1184 wrote: »
    Only thing that really gets to me is how commentators pronounce Cahill.

What's the problem there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Slightly different, but i've seen people in Limerick pubs shush the other customers as they watch a penalty being kicked in Thomond Park on the pub's big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

osarusan wrote: »
    Slightly different, but i've seen people in Limerick pubs shush the other customers as they watch a penalty being kicked in Thomond Park on the pub's big screen.

Completely agree!

Get that in the back arse of Mayo as well when there is a rugby match on.
    As if O'Gara/Sexton/whoever will be put off my someone talking in a pub in the West of Ireland 100's of miles away from where the match is on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What's the problem there ?

But its Cahill not K-Hill.

You dont drive your K-ar.

Wonder what the English call a Ford Ka?:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What about the Australian midfielder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Is it not all local pronunciation. Similar to the argument over George Hamilton and pronouncing names are they're pronounced locally.
    e.g in Ireland, Shaughnessy is Shock-nassy, in England its more Shaw-nassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

'Somethings got to give' in early season previews where both sides have played only a handful of matches.

"Man United have a 100% home record, whilst Chelsea are unbeaten away. SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

This won't be a popular choice but it genuinely makes me cringe so I'm compelled to post:

When players point to the sky after they have scored in dedication to their God or someone who has died. As an atheist I find it so simplistic and it almost sums up the dumb modern footballer. Add to that the fact that they all copy each other in doing it and then it becomes yet another generic celebration.

I really don't want to bring religious beliefs into this thread but I immediately thought about this when I read the thread title. It's not so much the religious element that bothers me. It's the unoriginality of the players.

This is absolutely retarded. Some footballers would have a strong faith in God, thus pointing to the sky, or believe that someone that they were close to died and is looking over them.

Just because you dont believe it, doesnt make it dumb.

"ouuu that player is so unoriginal in how he points to the sky because he is religious, he should try a new technique and point sideways and tilt is head while hopping on one foot".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

joe123 wrote: »

Yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

joe123 wrote: »

Not dumb, but cringeworthy

Obvious examples are kaka and Hernandez, particularly the latter's kneeling down before kick off. I have no issue with their beliefs, but why the need to do it in front of an audience? Why not in the privacy of the dressing room beforehand, and simply act as everyone else does prior to kick off? Why the need to broadcast how amazingly religious they are?

• Advertisement
Advertisement