Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Players saying its their dream to sign with their new club, maybe it might be true 0.1% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Players not celebrating goals against clubs they spent two minutes at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

GTR63 wrote: »
    Players saying its their dream to sign with their new club, maybe it might be true 0.1% of the time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ--hcq5MN00v_KP3ueajn7hdWKIAGhK3J3fdPy_l55SccTrbeJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Irish people referring to Alex Ferguson as Sir Alex. Wtf like, are we the Queen's subjects again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Not dumb, but cringeworthy

Obvious examples are kaka and Hernandez, particularly the latter's kneeling down before kick off. I have no issue with their beliefs, but why the need to do it in front of an audience? Why not in the privacy of the dressing room beforehand, and simply act as everyone else does prior to kick off? Why the need to broadcast how amazingly religious they are?

Maybe because it's easier to psyche themselves up in front of an audience which is basically what they are trying to do. They are also not playing the match on the dressing room floor. I'm as athiest/agnostic/whatever I can be but to disregard people's beliefs like that is incredibly ignorant. Richard Dawkins level of wankery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Augmerson wrote: »
    Irish people referring to Alex Ferguson as Sir Alex. Wtf like, are we the Queen's subjects again?

This, and threads like the one about the Anfield Road area. Honestly, who gives a **** aside outside the city of Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Liam O wrote: »
    Maybe because it's easier to psyche themselves up in front of an audience which is basically what they are trying to do. They are also not playing the match on the dressing room floor. I'm as athiest/agnostic/whatever I can be but to disregard people's beliefs like that is incredibly ignorant. Richard Dawkins level of wankery.

I haven't disregard anyone's beliefs, perhaps you're confusing me with another poster? I simply questioned the need for it to be a public act

As for psyching themselves up, while I wouldn't be the most religious person in the world, I don't think the idea of a prayer is to 'psyche yourself up'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

NIMAN wrote: »
    Once seen a street fight in Derry between Man Utd and Liverpool fans, maybe involving up to a dozen.

Irish people fighting over English football teams!

any fans who fight over football are idiots

Augmerson wrote: »

Or call him SAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

As a Galway United season ticket holder, here's two things that make me cringe:

1. The rebranding last year of Salthill Devon as SD Galway and having them play in maroon and also in Terryland (Deacy Park) :rolleyes:

2. Mervue United and Salthill Devon playing in the first division while there's no united Galway team in the League of Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

how supporters discuss/argue club finances/shirt sponsorships etc, surely all they should care about is results:confused::confused:

kevthegaff wrote: »
    how supporters discuss/argue club finances/shirt sponsorships etc, surely all they should care about is results:confused::confused:

Or fans totting up money from player sales and playing fantasy manager saying buy X & Y with the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

And end up like Leeds/Portsmouth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fan created nicknames, I know there's a few floating around this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

But its Cahill not K-Hill.

You dont drive your K-ar.

Wonder what the English call a Ford Ka?:D

We met these girls from Liverpool in Ayia Napa a few years back and got talking about a Ford Ka and they didn't know what we were talking about they call them Ford K-A's for some reason .

Was at Shamrock Rovers vs Rubin Kazan a few years back and this oul fella behind me kept shouting at the centre back Dan something to hoof it every he got it his words were " Get it up Dan " . I was tempted to tell him to stfu his team were losing and hoofing the ball was the last thing they should have been doing . They needed to hold onto the ball not give it straight back . I haven't been back to any LOI teams games since then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Liam O wrote: »

Prayer as a means of psyching oneself up is a new one? Prayer is a communication between a person and their god to request intercession or give thanks. If they need to be in front of people to get something out of it then what they're getting out of it has nothing to do with god, it's just an attention seeking affectation.

In any case, everyone knows god is too busy helping Kanye West win awards to have time to help soccer players score goals or feed starving kids.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Please divulge good sir! I once heard United fans in the local calling Evra 'Paddy'.
    Originally Posted byJax Teller

Was at Shamrock Rovers vs Rubin Kazan a few years back and this oul fella behind me kept shouting at the centre back Dan something to hoof it every he got it his words were " Get it up Dan " . I was tempted to tell him to stfu his team were losing and hoofing the ball was the last thing they should have been doing . They needed to hold onto the ball not give it straight back . I haven't been back to any LOI teams games since then .

Well it's his team and he's at the game so he's only saying what he thinks is right. You haven't been back to a game since based on this? Maybe you should've brought ear muffs with you? Supporters sometimes offer encouragment live at the ground, shocking I know. Also, it wasn't an LOI game, it was a Europa League game.... probably the only reason you were there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They play football on the pitch, why wouldn't the say their pray on it

& its probably more a routine/superstition thing like being last out, putting a certain boot on first always, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

keane2097 wrote: »

In any case, everyone knows god is too busy helping Kanye West win awards to have time to help soccer players score goals or feed starving kids.

As annoying as footballers doing it is this is worse....rappers/acttors receiving an award and thanking god for it.

Was also a story a while back of a woman whose child got out her door and fell from the balcony only to be caught by a passer by. Cue news crews showing up and the woman thanking god for saving her child...not a mention of him helping the child get out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

i agree but will be somewhat hypocritical if/when Liverpool sign Mkhitaryan.

Mickey will do just fine for that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jax Teller wrote: »

Posts like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jax Teller wrote: »
    We met these girls from Liverpool in Ayia Napa a few years back and got talking about a Ford Ka and they didn't know what we were talking about they call them Ford K-A's for some reason .

Yeah, cos that's logical:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People who think football is more important than life and death.
    Sky TV and the EPL have been marketed so well now that many people think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They dont though....unless they are mentally unstable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Omackeral wrote: »
    Please divulge good sir! I once heard United fans in the local calling Evra 'Paddy'.

Well it's his team and he's at the game so he's only saying what he thinks is right. You haven't been back to a game since based on this? Maybe you should've brought ear muffs with you? Supporters sometimes offer encouragment live at the ground, shocking I know. Also, it wasn't an LOI game, it was a Europa League game.... probably the only reason you were there;)

I never said it was Loi game , I clearly said I hadn't been to any Loi teams games since then .
    Maybe try reading it properly before using a stupid winky face .

I won the tickets actually that's the reason I went , I was at another of Rovers game a week or so before this and I really enjoyed . Suppose it's where you sit/stand .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The vast majority of the posts in here, I don't understand why people let such little things bother them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

of course its not more important than life or death (some may disagree) but for me there is nothing else in life that gets me more excited or down than football.

sometimes I wish I never supported a team whilst other times I don't think I could live without it.

its a funny oul game.

..now back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I remember one thing that got on my nerves from years ago was how Sky commentators pronounced Kinsella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Tattoos of a clubs or national teams crest/emblem.

They never look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Omackeral wrote: »

Telling a player to kick the ball up in the air 60 yards? That's hardly encouragement.

Hi Mr. Tika Taka!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It was Dan Murray. I wouldn't trust him to do anything but hoof the ball 60 yards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Glenn Hoddle.

I cringe whenever he is on sky sports. I cant stand him. I think I hate him.

I got this quote from wikipedia. "You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap."
    "You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around."

Why is this nut allowed on tv? I really really cant stand him. Mad b@stard!!!

keith16 wrote: »
    Fans in pubs singing and chanting in English accents.

Your 'avin a facking giraffe mate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The last episode of the Premiership on RTE was pretty cringe.

inmyday wrote: »
    Glenn Hoddle.

I cringe whenever he is on sky sports. I cant stand him. I think I hate him.

I got this quote from wikipedia. "You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap."
    "You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around."

Why is this nut allowed on tv? I really really cant stand him. Mad b@stard!!!

I've read both Cascarino and Matt le Tiss respective autobiographies recently and both of them found Hoddle to be very arrogant and narcissistic

Le Tiss acknowledged that he was a decent coach but felt he had no people skills in dealing with players whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

I always cringe when i hear people talking about 'real' fans. Unless you go to 10 games a year, and can name all the reserve team then you're not a proper fan. Jesus. Football is there for a bit of enjoyment, it's not life or death. If you're one of those people who spend all your time following you're team then fair play. But I hate the snobbery from some of these people who look down on other fans who don't show the same level of interest. Big deal of you only go to a game once in a blue moon

GTR63 wrote: »

With Robbie Keane that's 0.1 x 10 clubs he has played for (2 spells at some)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Grown men walking around in a full football kit, not sure if its just the craze in Liverpool but I actually had the misfortune of seeing it for my own two eyes when I was there one weekend (none are my pictures).

fkw3.jpg
    shoes-e1346069127623.jpg
    25aiu6q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What other kind of nicknames are there for footballers? Do some players come out and say ' I want to be called this from now on'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What other kind of nicknames are there for footballers? Do some players come out and say ' I want to be called this from now on'?

It wouldn't surprise me. Nobody called Mourinho the special one until he declared himself so. I'd wager a lot of the Brazilian 'inho's are self thought up. I mean, you would look at Hulk at consider the name a bit funny. Like a massive guy with the nickname "Tiny".

nicknames given to them by their team mates or friends, Their actual nicknames/informal names

it goes on in the arsenal thread a bit, i don't like it either
    especially some shortened version for their first name that you've never heard them being called

Kirby wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me. Nobody called Mourinho the special one until he declared himself so. I'd wager a lot of the Brazilian 'inho's are self thought up.

'inho means little, it'd be used if they're short obviously or to differentiate

'ao means big - e.g Luisao

nicknames are common there

what are kind of made up is the Brazilians with western names like Anderson, adopted by the family at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Half and half scarves (granted I do have a Shels/Lille scarf but I was 14)

YBIG and their love in with St.Pauli and Celtic songs.

Aston Villa and other clubs who sh*t like this on posters:
    "12 noon depart Murray’s bar and march down O’Connell Street on mass!
    We ALL take over the Dublin Tram (Luas) to Tallaght (This will be filmed for youtube!)"

English clubs "Irish" Supporters' Clubs! Oh and Celtic's Irish supporters' clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

:confused::confused:

Nothing wrong with those. They make great souvenirs.

I for one will treasure my Newcastle/Inter Milan half-half scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

!

Even worse when you see people with Liverpool/Everton, Utd/City half n' half scarves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

When players point to the sky after they have scored in dedication to their God or someone who has died. As an atheist I find it so simplistic and it almost sums up the dumb modern footballer. Add to that the fact that they all copy each other in doing it and then it becomes yet another generic celebration.

Oh yay, another one. You are an atheist, good for you. This is a football forum buddy, nobody cares if you don't or do believe in anything.

I really don't want to bring religious beliefs into this thread but I immediately thought about this when I read the thread title.

But you say it anyway and bring religion into it.
    It's not so much the religious element that bothers me. It's the unoriginality of the players.

Really? So why contradict yourself here in the following quote?
    When players point to the sky after they have scored in dedication to their God or someone who has died. As an atheist I find it so simplistic and it almost sums up the dumb modern footballer.

This is a football forum, nobody wants to see your or anyone else's stupid opinion on anything related to atheism or theism.

Thanks very much.

Moving on back to the subject, anytime I see Simon Cox playing I cringe, I don't understand Trap's obsession with him, it drives me mad.

I've read both Cascarino and Matt le Tiss respective autobiographies recently and both of them found Hoddle to be very arrogant and narcissistic

Le Tiss acknowledged that he was a decent coach but felt he had no people skills in dealing with players whatsoever.

I think I remember reading in Fowlers book iirc that Hoddle used to take the set pieces in training when in charge of England, I wonder would he ask Beckham to watch him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

"I'm sorry, am I asking too much of you?"
    - Hoddle after performing a trick a player couldn't match while England manager. When Hoddle himself didn't do it for England FFS.

Advertisement