Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aston Villa and other clubs who sh*t like this on posters:
    "12 noon depart Murray’s bar and march down O’Connell Street on mass!
    We ALL take over the Dublin Tram (Luas) to Tallaght (This will be filmed for youtube!)"

This is pretty funny :pac:

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think I remember reading in Fowlers book iirc that Hoddle used to take the set pieces in training when in charge of England, I wonder would he ask Beckham to watch him.
    - Hoddle after performing a trick a player couldn't match while England manager. When Hoddle himself didn't do it for England FFS.

Pretty much backs up Cas and Le Tiss accounts. He set up an academy for players who have been released by clubs which to be fair is a good cause because players can be overlooked for the most bizarre reasons in England given the clowns involved with coaching but i cant imagine many of the players being able to make the most of their second chance with his attitude.

I find also that managers who tend to join in with the training at clubs like Mancini, Hoddle, Gullit to name a few, can typically be right arrogant so and so's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Omackeral wrote: »
    Please divulge good sir! I once heard United fans in the local calling Evra 'Paddy'.

That's kind of one, more so things like "Skittles" though. Shortening of names doesn't bother me as much, it's the sound-a-likes.

There's a particular post that sticks out from the Pool thread where one lad was predicting a team for a game and listed each player with his own 'quirky' slant on their name.

I cringed hard :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Anything Jamie Redknapp says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's kind of one, more so things like "Skittles" though. Shortening of names doesn't bother me as much, it's the sound-a-likes.

There's a particular post that sticks out from the Pool thread where one lad was predicting a team for a game and listed each player with his own 'quirky' slant on their name.

I cringed hard :o

I still stand by my nickname for Torres:

Jigsaw (he goes to pieces in the box)

I'll get my coat....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1138

This section of the football forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

when ireland lose a match and the rte panel make it seem like the irish football team is the only beacon of hope for the irish nation and that them losing will put the country into a state of depression. reality check, nobody really cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I cringe when I see the word "fans" written in inverted commas trying to suggest that the people in question aren't 'real' fans. It's usually used after there was some trouble at a match. For example, 12 "fans" were arrested after riot. I think it's to imply that they aren't 'real' fans just because they also happen to be scumbags. It's not just in newspapers either, I've seen it on boards too, when a few United fans were singing songs about Hillsborough in a Liverpool match. It's a scumbag thing to do but it doesn't stop them being fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I dont understand why LOI fans get so upset over people supporting english teams, they seem to take it to heart they arent supporting their home league. I went to a few limerick games this year but i went to more liverpool games and thats the way it always will be, i get a better buzz from travelling to watch liverpool especially away from home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

niallo27 wrote: »
    I dont understand why LOI fans get so upset over people supporting english teams, they seem to take it to heart they arent supporting their home league. I went to a few limerick games this year but i went to more liverpool games and thats the way it always will be, i get a better buzz from travelling to watch liverpool especially away from home.

Some LOI fans get upset about this and I understand their reasoning. I also understand your position. I have no problem with people choosing to not support their home league and instead opting to support a foreign team, that's their choice. The problem arises when some of said people choose to deride the league at every opportunity and accuse me of being less of a football fan for going to games.

In fairness, there's a lot of people on here who have no interest and just don't get involved in debate on the matter, which is fine. There's others though who have to get their kicks in and show how great a football fan they are by ripping the piss out of their domestic league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I cringe when I see the word "fans" written in inverted commas trying to suggest that the people in question aren't 'real' fans. It's usually used after there was some trouble at a match. For example, 12 "fans" were arrested after riot. I think it's to imply that they aren't 'real' fans just because they also happen to be scumbags. It's not just in newspapers either, I've seen it on boards too, when a few United fans were singing songs about Hillsborough in a Liverpool match. It's a scumbag thing to do but it doesn't stop them being fans.

This applies when certain teams fans riot, or in extreme cases, cause deaths. Anything negative and you hear "these aren't real fans of team x". But they are.

Example1, Heysel. "These weren't Liverpool fans who caused the deaths, they were just hooligans". I think you'll find they were Liverpool fans.

Example2, Lansdowne Riot. "Those weren't England fans rioting, they were just scumbags and hooligans over looking for trouble". I think you'll find they were England fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

People calling Wes Hoolahan "Wes", what's the story with that??? They don't know him personally, but it seems to be the in thing when wanting him to start or come on to shout to play "Wes". I don't get it.

He is referred to as 'Wes' quite often on MOTD and on the Norwich website as well, so maybe he prefers that himself? I know if I was called Wesley, I'd prefer to be called Wes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

niallo24 wrote: »
    People calling Wes Hoolahan "Wes", what's the story with that??? They don't know him personally, but it seems to be the in thing when wanting him to start or come on to shout to play "Wes". I don't get it.

Maybe just easier to shout than "Hoolahan"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sky Sports coverage minus Neville.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

A lot of fans do this, particularly at games. Calling someone by their surname doesn't make much sense really, you wouldn't do it in many other situations.

No different to people talking about Robbie (Keane), Roy (Keane) or Shay (Given) during their Ireland days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Irish fans booing ex-Rangers players. Pretty cringeworthy tbh.

General abuse from fans is cringeworthy, fair enough if you'd have the bottle to abuse someone face-to-face when alone, but 99.99% of the fcuking idiots who dish out abuse to players or the ref wouldn't.

Footballers let loose on Twitter in general. Some of them are not the sharpest tools in the box, and shouldn't be anywhere near Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

PauloMN wrote: »
    Irish fans booing ex-Rangers players. Pretty cringeworthy

Ireland fans booing Peter Madsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gamesmanship
    • Surrounding the officials to influence their decision
    • Feigning injury/contact to get a free/penalty/player booked/sent off
    • Feigning injury until the physio tells him to get up
    • Teams arguing who a drop ball should be played to
    • etc

Irish & British pundits talking like the EPL is the only league in the world

Ronnie Whelans views on Tahiti's involvement the Confederations Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

The ever popular phrase 'real fan', or 'barstooler', especially when used by those that are the very definition of it in an attempt to one up a debate they have no business being in.

A fan is a fan imo, and as far as I know there isn't a set of rules, guidelines or governing body that exists to allow you to follow whoever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

...when fellow Liverpool supporters just don't believe that next year is our year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

General abuse from fans is cringeworthy, fair enough if you'd have the bottle to abuse someone face-to-face when alone, but 99.99% of the fcuking idiots who dish out abuse to players or the ref wouldn't.

Footballers let loose on Twitter in general. Some of them are not the sharpest tools in the box, and shouldn't be anywhere near Twitter.

I rmember being at a game in Lansdowne a few years ago, think it was Denmark, and the morons in the crowd were booing someone who they thought was Peter Lovenkrands. Looked nothing like him, there was a mix up by the stadium announcer when he came on. I pointed this out to a Scottish Celtic fan beside me but he still kept booing the wrong player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

keano_afc wrote: »
    I rmember being at a game in Lansdowne a few years ago, think it was Denmark, and the morons in the crowd were booing someone who they thought was Peter Lovenkrands. Looked nothing like him, there was a mix up by the stadium announcer when he came on. I pointed this out to a Scottish Celtic fan beside me but he still kept booing the wrong player.

Four posts up dude. That's who Dan is on about.

People like Alan Hansen, Lawro and Shearer, who are incredibly well paid so-called experts who are meant to provide analysis for us, coming out with lines like "... well I don't know much about xxx (insert team/country or player name here)".

i.e. they don't know anything cos its outside of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I cringe when Irish people talk about 'foreigners' in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Four posts up dude. That's who Dan is on about.

Didnt see that one

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Dempsey wrote: »
    Gamesmanship

This x100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Dempsey wrote: »

Ronnie Whelan. full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

NIMAN wrote: »
    This applies when certain teams fans riot, or in extreme cases, cause deaths. Anything negative and you hear "these aren't real fans of team x". But they are.

Example1, Heysel. "These weren't Liverpool fans who caused the deaths, they were just hooligans". I think you'll find they were Liverpool fans.

Example2, Lansdowne Riot. "Those weren't England fans rioting, they were just scumbags and hooligans over looking for trouble". I think you'll find they were England fans.

If they've gone there primarily looking for a fight then no they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This reminds me. When Shams played Real Madrid that time, Ronaldo made his debut and got booed. That was idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dan1895 wrote: »
    Ireland fans booing Peter Madsen.

What even more cringe is the fact that the stadium announcer went on to apologise for the fools that booed.

If you recall there was a bit of a cerfuffel from UEFA about the booing being racist or something.
    In a copy of YBIG in about 2006 the stadium announcer said something to the effect that it was his mistake and that he was sorry for causing 'the greatest fans in the world' to be accused of racism based on a mistake he made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

John Delaney makes me cringe as does the Aviva been there twice a soulless 3/4 finished abomination with no decent toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Stephen Alkin's commentary on LOI matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I cringe when Irish people talk about 'foreigners' in the Premiership.

And Irish people giving out about foreign owners of Premier League teams.

Irish people moaning about other Irish people supporting English teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Irish people moaning about other Irish people supporting English teams.

I agree. Honestly the importance some people place on nationality is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Maybe just easier to shout than "Hoolahan"?

Could say the same for many players who are still called by their surname.
    A lot of fans do this, particularly at games. Calling someone by their surname doesn't make much sense really, you wouldn't do it in many other situations.

No different to people talking about Robbie (Keane), Roy (Keane) or Shay (Given) during their Ireland days.

Its much more prominent than with the above players though. There's a bloke on Newstalk Off the Ball who completely over does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

patmac wrote: »
    John Delaney makes me cringe as does the Aviva been there twice a soulless 3/4 finished abomination with no decent toilets.

Never had any problems with the jacks in the Aviva.Far better then the ones in Croker or the overflowing trough + floor soaked in urine in the old Lansdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could say the same for many players who are still called by their surname.

Its much more prominent than with the above players though. There's a bloke on Newstalk Off the Ball who completely over does it.
    Andy Gray used to do this too back in the day, Frank and JT were his most annoying usages.

He still does it on Talksport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I agree. Honestly the importance some people place on nationality is crazy.

That is a global thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What makes me cringe? Charlie Adam lining up a penalty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Madworld wrote: »
    And Irish people giving out about foreign owners of Premier League teams.

And Irish supporters of English teams who give out about or make fun of other English teams, because of they draw less support from the locality and more from foreign countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Some of the hyperbole around Spain and Barca over the past few years has been horrendous.

Both great sides of course but fuck me, there are some people out there who need a good kick up the hole after hearing them talk about "the right way to play football".

This plus a million times.
    inmyday wrote: »
    The Irish people who support english clubs. But hate the English national team. And when Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Rooney wear the english jersey, utd liverpool, chelsea, arsenal fans call them "scum" and love when England lose.

Anyone one of us who support english clubs, could name the england squad.

Other than Ireland, I like to see England do well.

There is two sides to that though, I'd never cheer for England but it's more in a friendly banter kind of way in the same way I'd never cheer for United, Liverpool etc. Certainly wouldn't brand them scum or anything like that.

Then footballers and twitter some of them shouldn't be allowed near it, most recently Nicklas Bendtner I'm not even going to post it but a tweet he posted on 16th of June cringeworthy at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Irish people supporting English teams.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

When Chelsea fans boo Wayne Bridge after what JT did. As a Chelsea fan, this sickens me.

Also, when Chelsea fans automatically forgave JT for almost f*cking up are already slim chance of getting through to the UCL final in 2012. Singing his name and all after that makes me cringe so hard.

Chelsea fans supporting our "captain, leader, legend" to the death is just cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Irish people who begrudge anyone supporting non Irish teams. Around the world people support teams not from their country, television and other sources of media have made it possible. It's a necessary lifeblood of football. Trying to stop anyone from watching the brilliance of Barcelona or the entertainment and quality of the Bundesliga or the Premier League and instead trying to almost bulky them into being LOI fans makes me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's so predictable what threads the LOI brigade will swarm over while banging the same drum. You could see this one a mile off... criiiiinge.

CSF wrote: »
    Agreed.

Agreed what?

You changed my post :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Andy Gray used to do this too back in the day, Frank and JT were his most annoying usages.

He still does it on Talksport.

Just be grateful we are not a GAA levels yet. Any coverage I ever saw of Kerry, "the Gooch" was used by absolutely everyone from commentators to pundits. Fair enough if there is a team mate on the panel who is an actual friend, but other than that no one should be calling a player by a nickname and I just found it really unprofessional, especially considering he hates it himself.
    Bionicle wrote: »
    When Chelsea fans boo Wayne Bridge after what JT did. As a Chelsea fan, this sickens me.

In a similar vein, Stoke fans booing Ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I cringe just at the thought of United-Liverpool threads on here and the usual suspects going mental.

• Advertisement
Advertisement