Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Most of the stuff in the "Humour" thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It's so predictable what threads the LOI brigade will swarm over while banging the same drum. You could see this one a mile off... criiiiinge.

"LoI brigade". You don't half have a chip on your shoulder, yourself. "Criiiiinge".

You'll also notice that the thread was only ten minutes old when someone had a pop off the League of Ireland. But sure, it's all LoI fans at it, it doesn't happen the other way at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When Irish fans of English clubs seem to have a fanatical hatred for that clubs local rivals.
    Even though they have never been to the city or know anything bout the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Goal scorers who run to opposition fans to make some gesture or even worse, point at the club crest....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

bohsboy wrote: »
    Goal scorers who run to opposition fans to make some gesture or even worse, point at the club crest....:rolleyes:

Fans who throw bottles at such players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

........and the following week whinge to the press that they want a transfer because of...........press intrusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

1. The Dublin Decider

2. Irish people packing out mickey mouse grounds in Ireland to see their english teams U18's play some second strength LOI side wearing all the gear from head to toe then OTT celebrations when some lad from London with about as much connection to Ireland as a box lucky charms scores against lads that are actually local.

3. people in pubs shushing others cos ''sir Alex'' is giving an interview.

4. Grown men wearing jerseys in pubs clapping at the team when they come on.

5. Ireland are the best supporters in the world

6. John Delaney

7. any baller that comes home from england is seeing as a failure

8. The garda's policing of matches in Ireland

9. X and Y are the Catholic clubs in England (Who cares)

10. Irish people who put English Crests on Irish tri-colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Pedro K wrote: »
    Fans who throw bottles at such players...

And vermin fans who smash their star striker's car up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Irish people who begrudge anyone supporting non Irish teams. Around the world people support teams not from their country, television and other sources of media have made it possible. It's a necessary lifeblood of football. Trying to stop anyone from watching the brilliance of Barcelona or the entertainment and quality of the Bundesliga or the Premier League and instead trying to almost bulky them into being LOI fans makes me cringe.
    Fully agree, at the end of day football is a business, and the business with the best product is going to have the most customers, i.e. the most fans.

On a related note, what makes me cringe equally as much is those people who absolutely lambast the likes of Modric, RvP & Gotze for going to, what essentially are bigger businesses with a much bigger wage. As if the vast majority of people wouldn't do that. If people, regardless of field they're in, were given the opportunity to work with the best company in that field, in the best possible conditions and earn nearly twice as much for doing so, they would take it in a shot. I don't see why footballers should be treated any differently, they can only work until they're ~34, dead right for squeezing every penny out of it while they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

THFC wrote: »
    Fully agree, at the end of day football is a business, and the business with the best product is going to have the most customers, i.e. the most fans.

On a related note, what makes me cringe equally as much is those people who absolutely lambast the likes of Modric, RvP & Gotze for going to, what essentially are bigger businesses with a much bigger wage. As if the vast majority of people wouldn't do that. If people, regardless of field they're in, were given the opportunity to work with the best company in that field, in the best possible conditions and earn nearly twice as much for doing so, they would take it in a shot. I don't see why footballers should be treated any differently, they can only work until they're ~34, dead right for squeezing every penny out of it while they can.

I actually agree with pretty much everything you said (hard for me as an Arsenal fan ;) ) but I think you have to recognise that there are other factors which can make fans feel hard done by.

RVP is a prime example of that where he spent 7 seasons on the injury list, had one good (full) season before leaving. I think his handling of the whole situation probably exacerbated things and the fact that he went to another team in the same league didn't help either, but after a club showing him so much loyalty it was a shame he didn't do the same.

The same argument could probably be used for Suarez if he decides to leave, with Liverpool showing him so much loyalty through everything, but I think at this stage Liverpool would be glad to see the back of him to a certain degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

niallo24 wrote: »
    People calling Wes Hoolahan "Wes", what's the story with that??? They don't know him personally, but it seems to be the in thing when wanting him to start or come on to shout to play "Wes". I don't get it.

*Weso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Irish people who begrudge anyone supporting non Irish teams. Around the world people support teams not from their country, television and other sources of media have made it possible. It's a necessary lifeblood of football. Trying to stop anyone from watching the brilliance of Barcelona or the entertainment and quality of the Bundesliga or the Premier League and instead trying to almost bulky them into being LOI fans makes me cringe.

Every time your posts contain anything about LOI makes me cringe. You show so much disdain for the league here that you try and play the victim in this whole 'the big bad LOI bullies are at me mom' scenario. Noones begrudging, people just have different opinions. I'm sure they have opinions at the La Masia right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Corholio wrote: »
    Every time your posts contain anything about LOI makes me cringe. You show so much disdain for the league here that you try and play the victim in this whole 'the big bad LOI bullies are at me mom' scenario. Noones begrudging, people just have different opinions. I'm sure they have opinions at the La Masia right?

But that's exactly my point. People have opinions. I've never said to anybody "hey you, guy, stop being a LOI fan." but we've seen on this thread and quite a few times on this forum LOI fans saying "you shouldn't support foreign clubs" or statements of that nature. If you want to be a LOI fan then go ahead, I hope you enjoy it. Equally though if I want to support Chelsea, Barcelona, Ajax, Braga, Genk or any other non-Irish team I'd like it if LOI fans wouldn't call it "cringe worthy" or tell me "You're Irish, support an Irish team." I'm not the one who is begrudging anyone, it's very much the other way around.

But that's exactly my point. People have opinions. I've never said to anybody "hey you, guy, stop being a LOI fan." but we've seen on this thread and quite a few times on this forum LOI fans saying "you shouldn't support foreign clubs" or statements of that nature. If you want to be a LOI fan then go ahead, I hope you enjoy it. Equally though if I want to support Chelsea, Barcelona, Ajax, Braga, Genk or any other non-Irish team I'd like it if LOI fans wouldn't call it "cringe worthy" or tell me "You're Irish, support an Irish team." I'm not the one who is begrudging anyone, it's very much the other way around.

No LOI says "you shouldn't support foreign clubs", generally it's "why don't you support your foreign club AND an LoI club"!

Back to cringey stuff, Club sponsored/organised fan displays!

No LOI says "you shouldn't support foreign clubs", generally it's "why don't you support your foreign club AND an LoI club"!

Back to cringey stuff, Club sponsored/organised fan displays!

To be fair there does tend to be quite a bit of disdain towards those who support foreign clubs and not LOI clubs, I've even seen a bit of derision from LOI fans towards other LOI fans who also support a foreign club. My point is why begrudge anyone?

• Advertisement

To be fair there does tend to be quite a bit of disdain towards those who support foreign clubs and not LOI clubs, I've even seen a bit of derision from LOI fans towards other LOI fans who also support a foreign club. My point is why begrudge anyone?

Can't say I've ever see that, Shels season ticket holder 7 years, know fans from dozens of LoI clubs, some of those fans are season ticket holders at foreign clubs, Man Utd and AC Milan being two. Sure go to any LoI stadium any week and you'll be guaranteed to find some foreign clubs merchanise being worn. Think you're just trying to make up an argument tbh.

I begrudge people who don't support/take an interest in the LoI because well the majority of the excuses are that the standard is dire, yet they'll fork out thousands to go to the Euros to support Ireland? Not to mention the conveyor belt of players going from LoI to EPL and making it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And vermin fans who smash their star striker's car up. ;)

Careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dfx- wrote: »
    Careful.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Can't say I've ever see that, Shels season ticket holder 7 years, know fans from dozens of LoI clubs, some of those fans are season ticket holders at foreign clubs, Man Utd and AC Milan being two. Sure go to any LoI stadium any week and you'll be guaranteed to find some foreign clubs merchanise being worn. Think you're just trying to make up an argument tbh.

I begrudge people who don't support/take an interest in the LoI because well the majority of the excuses are that the standard is dire, yet they'll fork out thousands to go to the Euros to support Ireland? Not to mention the conveyor belt of players going from LoI to EPL and making it!

I can honestly say I have seen dedicated LOI fans having to defend their support of a foreign club, which I think is a bit ridiculous.

But that's it exactly, my original point is I'm not begrudging anyone. If the product is good enough then fans will watch it, it's that simple. I wouldn't begrudge anyone becoming a LOI fan,personally I'm not because I find the standard to be poor and while, yes some LOI players have made it in the Premier League, it's not an overwhelming amount and Shane Long right now is the best example of it and he's at West Brom, a decent level but nothing to cause a commotion about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I begrudge people who don't support/take an interest in the LoI because well the majority of the excuses are that the standard is dire

You begrudge Irish people who don't take an interest in LoI because their excuses are dire?

They don't need an excuse in the first place! Absolutely nobody should feel obliged to support the LoI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can honestly say I have seen dedicated LOI fans having to defend their support of a foreign club, which I think is a bit ridiculous.

But that's it exactly, my original point is I'm not begrudging anyone. If the product is good enough then fans will watch it, it's that simple. I wouldn't begrudge anyone becoming a LOI fan,personally I'm not because I find the standard to be poor and while, yes some LOI players have made it in the Premier League, it's not an overwhelming amount and Shane Long right now is the best example of it and he's at West Brom, a decent level but nothing to cause a commotion about.

To be fair though, you seem to see anything other than the Barcelona way as poor so hardly a shocking revelation to say that you would never be interested in LoI.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    To be fair though, you seem to see anything other than the Barcelona way as poor so hardly a shocking revelation to say that you would never be interested in LoI.

Honestly I don't think that's fair. That;s the standard by which all top teams should be judged. I do appreciate other teams that try to play the right way, Bilbao last season, Sociedad and Betis, Swansea in the Premier League. Chelsea with Hazard, Oscar and Mata were a joy to watch at times last season too.

Like I said, if anyone wants to be a LOI fan I wouldn't discourage them. I'm just giving you my reasons for not being one. By the same token, if I want to support Barcelona or a foreign team I'd rather not be hounded down to something which I don't want to go to.

Honestly I don't think that's fair. That;s the standard by which all top teams should be judged. I do appreciate other teams that try to play the right way, Bilbao last season, Sociedad and Betis, Swansea in the Premier League. Chelsea with Hazard, Oscar and Mata were a joy to watch at times last season too.

Like I said, if anyone wants to be a LOI fan I wouldn't discourage them. I'm just giving you my reasons for not being one. By the same token, if I want to support Barcelona or a foreign team I'd rather not be hounded down to something which I don't want to go to.

In that case, have you taken the time to see if a LoI team plays "the right way"?

They aren't *all* a bunch of hoofballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That is bull****. 90% of the Irish football fans I know also like foreign teams from various countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

major bill wrote: »

2. Irish people packing out mickey mouse grounds in Ireland to see their english teams U18's play some second strength LOI side wearing all the gear from head to toe then OTT celebrations when some lad from London with about as much connection to Ireland as a box lucky charms scores against lads that are actually local.

3. people in pubs shushing others cos ''sir Alex'' is giving an interview.

4. Grown men wearing jerseys in pubs clapping at the team when they come on.

5. Ireland are the best supporters in the world

6. John Delaney

7. any baller that comes home from england is seeing as a failure

2. When has this actually happened?

3. Is it because it's Sir Alex or because it's any manager? Sometimes nice to hear the interview afterwards, see nothing wrong with it if it's a quietish local pub.

4. I think this is banter between friends more than anything.

5. I agree.

6. I agree.

7. More often than not they come back because they aren't good enough for British football which means they kinda failed doesn't it? Probably not the best term to use, wouldn't be nice to be called a failure.

darced wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what made the atmosphere unwelcoming? Did you stand out in any way to make them look down on you, i.e. were you dressed head to toe in Celtic gear?

Basically, how would the rest of the fans know you were an outsider to make you feel unwelcome? Surely they'd be too busy watching the game to even notice you.

Could you elaborate a bit? What ground it was, were you standing amongst the more hardcore supporters or sitting around other families, was it a bit of bad language or actual violence?

I'm in no way looking for an argument by the way, just curious as to the ways in which LoI grounds make people uncomfortable. In my experience they are perfectly fine given how many seats there are compared to fans (you can always move), though obviously if you're only after all seater libraries with plenty of leg room like some of the newer stadia then that's a different story.

• Advertisement

Would you go to a Premier League game? I've been to matches in a number of countries and there's sections of supporters like that in every ground. As I said, there's lots of seats so you're not exactly stuck beside them. If anything, that's one of the benefits of going to the League of Ireland - you can move if you're stuck beside a group of idiots!

What I'm getting at is that maybe your issue is with going to grounds in general and not necessarily just the League of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

People who support League One/Two sides and feel more a supporter or want people to appreciate their support more than someone who supports a Premier League side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

SantryRed wrote: »
    People who support League One/Two sides and feel more a supporter or want people to appreciate their support more than someone who supports a Premier League side.

I think the club's themselves probably appreciate the support more, mainly because there is a lot less of it and they have to work harder to get it. Its usually much easier to interact with those in charge of league 2 clubs, management and boardroom as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Few cringe magnets from me, mostly relate to Ireland

1) The award the Irish fans got for the Euros
    2) The bandwagon jumpers for the national team, only interested in big games
    3) The COYBIG phrase
    4) LOI fans feeling the need to be bravado against PL fans, and how they are somehow "more of a fan".

3. Is it because it's Sir Alex or because it's any manager? Sometimes nice to hear the interview afterwards, see nothing wrong with it if it's a quietish local pub.

4. I think this is banter between friends more than anything.

5. I agree.

6. I agree.

7. More often than not they come back because they aren't good enough for British football which means they kinda failed doesn't it? Probably not the best term to use, wouldn't be nice to be called a failure.

2. Liverpool v Bohs and Liverpool v another mickey mouse team down the country, Spurs v Bohs, Wolves v Bohs, i could go on.

7. I know plenty of players that were more than good enough to remain in British football but come home for Personal reasons.

about 10,000 people go to the series of games each week and you base your opinions on a few people off here? :confused:

And you don't see vicious chanting in the UK or fighting sure its still going on the media just do nothing to highlight the negatives in their game.? Been told to sing? Get a grip you have a chip on your shoulder about the league here and it's fans so will do anything to tar it.

The Generalization in this thread by some is cringe worthy in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

SantryRed wrote: »

The second part is about neediness. I'm not going to defend that. But I don't think there's anything wrong with a supporter of a smaller club, be it in Ireland or England or anywhere else, taking some pride in that.

Supporting a big club is easy with your fancy-dan Stadiums, Champions League and trophies. Getting up at 5am to get a coach to an FA Cup second round replay at Scarborough when you know that you're a 5,000/1 shot at winning the cup and the only thing that motivates you to do it is the dream. That is support.

All we've got are these crumbs of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have been a Derry season ticket holder for years, and go to most home games, never heard aggressive chanting.

And Derry fans up for a scrap?:rolleyes:

I've never been told to sing. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's so predictable what threads the LOI brigade will swarm over while banging the same drum. You could see this one a mile off... criiiiinge.

WTF are you talking about? Maybe have a look at the post below before slinging sh!t :rolleyes:
    Pedalstool wrote: »
    League of Ireland football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well 'Manchester United XI' sold out Turner's Cross last summer and the most recognisable player was probably Michael Keane.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

fullstop wrote: »
    Well 'Manchester United XI' sold out Turner's Cross last summer and the most recognisable player was probably Michael Keane.

Yes but were there many people dressed head to toe in gear and supporting Utd and not supporting people who are local to them?

If people travel to the match from the county because they support Utd, they are then expected to support Cork? Also Cork would be benefitting from the support from the Utd fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

irish supporters of english teams that pretend they are from the city of the side they support.
    I've been called a 'manc' by fellow dubs who claimed to be 'scousers'.

That and having to listen to 'scousers' signing munich songs in dublin pubs. Very pathetic.

Yes but were there many people dressed head to toe in gear and supporting Utd and not supporting people who are local to them?

If people travel to the match from the county because they support Utd, they are then expected to support Cork? Also Cork would be benefitting from the support from the Utd fans.

That's it there, it's the expectancy of LOI fans, that you must support your county no matter what. I don't like hurling so I don't go to Waterford hurling matches, I hardly think its a civil duty, nor do I think it's a civil duty to support your LOI team.

Just to stick a pin in this because I'm sure there are other, non-LOI cringe worthy things in football, if the product was good then this debate wouldn't be happening because this almost militant stance towards foreign football wouldn't exist if LOI clubs were drawing in big numbers and clubs in the league were in a healthy financial position. They aren't, and this idea that it's because "Irish people don't like going to games" is ridiculous, more likely is that Irish people would rather go to games where there is a good standard. Of course there are other reasons too, like another poster on this thread has said, sometimes the attitude of certain sections of LOI fans hardly endears them to the common football fan, these "real fans" looking down on us "barstoolers" would hardly encourage anyone to sign up for their LOI tour of duty.

• Advertisement

Not expected no but a level of respect to their local players wouldnt be a bad thing, in saying that alot do show respect but ive heard plenty of snide patronizing remarks from people attending these games towards the Local players that would make you cringe.

The whole ''its a great occasion for these lads'' is the worst. it's the same for when a league 1/2 side face a Premier league team...Cringe!!

Good to see another great thread ruined by this ****e talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Hi,
    I have largly stayed away from the LOIv other leagues discussions but to be honest I have gotten tired of them and some of the comments ie the barstoolers etc.
    The nearest loi club to me is an hour away.
    Could I be ar$$d driving to one of their matches . Answer No.
    I can just as easily watch football on the TV. I can see the best players in the world when ever I want.
    If I want to see professional football I can get on a plane and again watch some of the best players in the world.
    I have had the attitude with regard to the regular arguments on this topic as L&LL. live and let live.
    Suport who you want just dont ram it down some one elses throat.
    Don't insult others and what they want to watch.
    (BYTW , I financially support the local football team through sponsership etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wouldn't agree with the aggressive atmosphere at LOI games thing in the slightest. I go to watch the odd game if I have bets on and always find them to be very enjoyable.

Was at Shamrock Rovers vs Sligo in Tallaght last year with a mate of mine and ended up sitting in the middle of a load of home supporters, had the loot on Shamrock Rovers so we were obv pulling for the home team vocally enough. About half way through the first half my mate spots a text message one of the natives is writing - "lol - two Cork boys sitting beside me giving it loads for us". Me being from Kerry and the mate being from Dundalk :pac:

I've developed a bit of a fondness for St Pats over the last 18 months or so, love how they play, but Shamrock Rovers have the best songs IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

fullstop wrote: »
    WTF are you talking about? Maybe have a look at the post below before slinging sh!t :rolleyes:

Untwist your knickers there kiddo :rolleyes:
    That was one stupid comment. If it wasn't posted at all we still would have had to listen to the same shìte that goes on in particular threads every so often.
    You can see it happening before it does is all I was saying.

The thread about buying shares in Real Oviedo for example, one comes along every so often where this rubbish just kicks off. It's pathetic and cringey to me anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement