Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That's it there, it's the expectancy of LOI fans, that you must support your county no matter what. I don't like hurling so I don't go to Waterford hurling matches, I hardly think its a civil duty, nor do I think it's a civil duty to support your LOI team.

Just to stick a pin in this because I'm sure there are other, non-LOI cringe worthy things in football, if the product was good then this debate wouldn't be happening because this almost militant stance towards foreign football wouldn't exist if LOI clubs were drawing in big numbers and clubs in the league were in a healthy financial position. They aren't, and this idea that it's because "Irish people don't like going to games" is ridiculous, more likely is that Irish people would rather go to games where there is a good standard. Of course there are other reasons too, like another poster on this thread has said, sometimes the attitude of certain sections of LOI fans hardly endears them to the common football fan, these "real fans" looking down on us "barstoolers" would hardly encourage anyone to sign up for their LOI tour of duty.

Oh my.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I cringe everytime a thread turns into a LOI vs everyone else debacle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A guy in his 50's on Bohs away trips regularly brings his two sons along. No bother. But EVERY game he gets absolutely shít faced calling people scum and shouting at home supporters.

Out in Tallaght at half time there was a Shamrock Rovers under 8's team on the pitch and this guy was screaming "SCUM, SCUM, SCUM!!" at the top of his lungs at these little kids.

No need. Superb role model for the kids though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's it there, it's the expectancy of LOI fans, that you must support your county no matter what. I don't like hurling so I don't go to Waterford hurling matches, I hardly think its a civil duty, nor do I think it's a civil duty to support your LOI team.

Just to stick a pin in this because I'm sure there are other, non-LOI cringe worthy things in football, if the product was good then this debate wouldn't be happening because this almost militant stance towards foreign football wouldn't exist if LOI clubs were drawing in big numbers and clubs in the league were in a healthy financial position. They aren't, and this idea that it's because "Irish people don't like going to games" is ridiculous, more likely is that Irish people would rather go to games where there is a good standard. Of course there are other reasons too, like another poster on this thread has said, sometimes the attitude of certain sections of LOI fans hardly endears them to the common football fan, these "real fans" looking down on us "barstoolers" would hardly encourage anyone to sign up for their LOI tour of duty.

If you are typical of the generation of football fans coming through below me (early 20s as opposed to late 20s) then the game as a whole, and not just the LoI, is truly up the shitter.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I cringe everytime a thread turns into a LOI vs everyone else debacle

This one was going that way from the second the idea was conceived in the OP's head.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

if the product was good then this debate wouldn't be happening

This is one of most cringe-worthy things for me about many modern football fans. Describing what football teams do as a "product" and how clubs need do everything they can to appease the bandwagon-hopping, apathetic "consumer". The results of this can be seen in all-seater stadia without character, prawn-sandwich brigade fans who go along, not because they care about the game or the team, but because they want to be "entertained" and because it's a big event that they can brag to their mates about. Nothing makes me cringe more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would have to say people who sell match tickets for double and treble their worth . The worst thing about this is the fact that some of these people will claim to follow the club they are selling the tickets for . Like this Liverpool vs Celtic friendly coming up and a few websites have tickets up for over €100 when they where originally sold for €25 . Another example would be the price of tickets to Manchester Uniteds last home game . I saw a link to one website where somebody was selling a hospitality ticket for over €1000 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I would have to say people who sell match tickets for double and treble their worth . The worst thing about this is the fact that some of these people will claim to follow the club they are selling the tickets for . Like this Liverpool vs Celtic friendly coming up and a few websites have tickets up for over €100 when they where originally sold for €25 . Another example would be the price of tickets to Manchester Uniteds last home game . I saw a link to one website where somebody was selling a hospitality ticket for over €1000 .

Generally the only people who would pay for those tickets have no real interest in going generally, just want to say I was at x game and brag about it.

It's really not that hard to get your hands on a ticket for any game to be fair, providing you haven't left it till the week before and then cry about the silly price.

I would find the person who bought the ticket and then complained about it more cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have been a Derry season ticket holder for years, and go to most home games, never heard aggressive chanting.

And Derry fans up for a scrap?:rolleyes:
    We played Derry here in Sligo a few weeks back. We were top and they were second. Two teams from the northwest. Basically a big game.

Derry brought more fans than expected so loads of them ended up in with us, right beside our 'hardcore' support. There was no trouble at the game. Theres never been any trouble with Derry.

You'd want to be a bit precious to be made 'unwelcome' in either ground.

Must be harps that are the problem then. Bad eggs them lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I love how people rag on the LOI so much. Yeah, obviously the football is not going to be of the standard of the Premier League or La Liga or the Bundesliga or whatever. But it is live football. It gives you a fix of attending a live football match.

To quote the GAA (in what is a brilliant slogan), "Nothing beats being there".

My club is, was, and always will be, Chelsea. Back in the day when I was making very good wages and had lots of free time and was living at home (ergo, no bills/rent to pay), I was over and back to England about twice a month to see Chelsea play. I loved the whole buzz of it.

Sadly, I no longer have as much disposable income or as much free time and I now have bills and rent to pay. If I'm lucky, I might make it over to England once/twice a season now. It hurts, but living has to take precedence!

I do love live football. My nearest LOI club is Bray Wanderers. Literally about a 15-20 minute drive away. So I now go as often as I can. I know a lot of people who go up too. It's always a bit of craic. Some lads I went to school with work in the ground. The first time I went up, they were delighted to see that I was coming up. I don't go up as often as I probably should, but it gives me a live football fix of top-flight football.

One of the games I went to despite having no connection to either club was when St. Pats were playing Hanover 96 in the Europa League up in Tallaght a while back. Again, it's about a 30 minute drive away, it was a competitive European fixture and it was going to be a bit of craic. And it was.

I'd be a GAA-man through and through. But football would be my "bit on the side", if GAA was my wife. :o

I find it very strange at the amount of animosity that exists. I would also have to say, I never, ever experienced hostility or anything like that at an LOI game. Yes, there's the chanting and the singing and the bit of swearing at the referee (SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!). But I challenge anyone to go to any game in any league and not hear offensive things being shouted.

Try going to West Ham v. Chelsea in Upton Park. Try Chelsea v. Liverpool. Try Chelsea v. Man United, Chelsea v. Spurs, Chelsea v. Arsenal... the list goes on. All games I've been at in the past (sometimes more than once) and the vitriol in some chants is astounding.

Chanting and singing exists everywhere. It's part of the supporters' "job". To sing, chant, cheer and support their side. It happens everywhere.

Closing with a quote: "Can't we all just get along?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Nothing will ever beat going to a game. You do need the emotional investment though. I've tried going to a few LOI games and it's not the same - not because of the standard of football (pretty similar to what I see in League Two) but because I don't care about the clubs or the players. And that's not an anti-LOI thing as I feel the same when I go and see Spurs with my mates. The craic before the match is good and the atmosphere is great but football without the emotional investment does nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

DazMarz wrote: »
    To quote the GAA (in what is a brilliant slogan), "Nothing beats being there".

I thought it was a cynical ploy to have their cake and eat it myself.

For games like Liverpool and Celtic here I don't really have an issue with it. For me, the issue begins when people who would normally get tickets all the time suddenly aren't able, as in the United Swansea example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TheDoc wrote: »
    Few cringe magnets from me, mostly relate to Ireland

1) The award the Irish fans got for the Euros
    2) The bandwagon jumpers for the national team, only interested in big games
    3) The COYBIG phrase
    4) LOI fans feeling the need to be bravado against PL fans, and how they are somehow "more of a fan".

The irony of it being that it's always Prem only supporters who say that LOI fans on here say they are 'more than a fan'. Some feel closer to their club than Prem fans, are you arguing that fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I once had to listen to a bunch of friends of mine trying to convince me that Ireland were realistic candidates to win the 2002 WC and that they were well placed to win it before Keane headed for the airport.

5 or 6 of them, convinced. Telling me that Matty Holland was one of the better midfielders in the tournament and that Keane and Duff were the best two strikers in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I am pie wrote: »
    I once had to listen to a bunch of friends of mine trying to convince me that Ireland were realistic candidates to win the 2002 WC and that they were well placed to win it before Keane headed for the airport.

5 or 6 of them, convinced. Telling me that Matty Holland was one of the better midfielders in the tournament and that Keane and Duff were the best two strikers in the tournament.

If I remember correctly Ireland were realistic contenders.

Would have met South Korea in the quarters had they won the shootout and then Germany who were nothing special.

Duff was one the stars of the tournament, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I use "we" and "us". It's just habit from my childhood. I don't actually think I play for Man United (their loss tbh) but the only time someone complained about it to me he nearly immediately went on to do the same thing talking about Louth GAA having never played for them. His defense was that as he was born there and lived some of his life in the county that he somehow became part of the team :S

Following any sports team is irrational unless you actually are involved because tribalism at a local or national level is inherently irrational and so is taking pride in the achievements of others but we allow ourselves to do it because of the emotional benefits we derive from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Would have met South Korea in the quarters had they won the shootout and then Germany who were nothing special.

Wow.

Germany, nothing special. Hockeyed the Arabians 8-0. Kahn in goal, Ballack in MF, Schneider, Zieger, Klose and Bierhoff amongst others.

South Korea finished top of a group with Poland, Portugal and USA, all decent sides, no pushovers.

I don't know where the assumption that Ireland would have any right to consider themselves better than a South Korean team who had already beaten Italy?

I hate the lack of perspective in Irish football sometimes. These are the same fans that would consider Austria an easy game and think that Ireland should beat most other teams in Europe outside of France, Italy, Spain, England and Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wow.

Germany, nothing special. Hockeyed the Arabians 8-0. Kahn in goal, Ballack in MF, Schneider, Zieger, Klose and Bierhoff amongst others.
    And yet Ireland got a draw out of them...
    Not saying Ireland would have gone much further but the standard at that World Cup was pretty bad in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Wow.

South Korea finished top of a group with Poland, Portugal and USA, all decent sides, no pushovers.

I don't know where the assumption that Ireland would have any right to consider themselves better than a South Korean team who had already beaten Italy?

I hate the lack of perspective in Irish football sometimes. These are the same fans that would consider Austria an easy game and think that Ireland should beat most other teams in Europe outside of France, Italy, Spain, England and Germany.

Ireland scored the only goal Germany conceded up to the final and we got a draw out of them.

We could and should have beat Spain, missed penalty, and with Roy Keane we definitely could have gone at least one round further. We were hardly going to win it though.

This is one of most cringe-worthy things for me about many modern football fans. Describing what football teams do as a "product" and how clubs need do everything they can to appease the bandwagon-hopping, apathetic "consumer". The results of this can be seen in all-seater stadia without character, prawn-sandwich brigade fans who go along, not because they care about the game or the team, but because they want to be "entertained" and because it's a big event that they can brag to their mates about. Nothing makes me cringe more.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only big teams win WCs - we ain't a big team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

2002 was the best chance we'll ever have to win the thing, presuming that the quarter final wasn't going to be rigged (which is what most people think happened.)

Lou Macari.

Every time Mark Lawrenson speaks.

When non assuming, never in the papers players are criticised for being 'boring' or 'without charisma' and absolute pricks of players are lauded for being 'characters'.

When Irish supporters criticise others for criticising the team or the setup, citing 'the love for your national team' as an excuse why you shouldn't.

Lou Macari.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

latenia wrote: »
    2002 was the best chance we'll ever had to win the thing, presuming that the quarter final wasn't going to be rigged (which is what most people think happened.)

I always thought 1994 was our best chance. That team had depth, vast experience and could mix it up on the pitch (play ugly and actually play good football too). They also had some frighteningly good results along the way. I mean how many teams beat Holland, Germany and Italy in the space of 2 months?

They basically blew it in Orlando vs Mexico. I don't know whether it was the prep or the the heat was just going to beat us in every scenario but a draw there would have probably won the group. The outcome of that being we could have played the next three rounds in NY/NJ for a relatively comfortable path to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lou Macari

This thread is pretty cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Xavi6 wrote: »
    To be fair though, you seem to see anything other than the Barcelona way as poor so hardly a shocking revelation to say that you would never be interested in LoI.
    Honestly I don't think that's fair. That;s the standard by which all top teams should be judged. I do appreciate other teams that try to play the right way, Bilbao last season, Sociedad and Betis, Swansea in the Premier League. Chelsea with Hazard, Oscar and Mata were a joy to watch at times last season too.

Like I said, if anyone wants to be a LOI fan I wouldn't discourage them. I'm just giving you my reasons for not being one. By the same token, if I want to support Barcelona or a foreign team I'd rather not be hounded down to something which I don't want to go to.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that Barcelona are the standard by which all top teams should be judged ? I'm really hoping I picked you up wrong here.

I'm no anti-Barca, I certainly prefer to see them bringing home trophies ahead of the likes of Real, but Barca were a total shambles in this year's champions league SF.

Also, THERE IS NO "RIGHT WAY" TO PLAY THE GAME ! There are several different types of game plan, all of which have their merits. There are game plans out there that haven't been invented yet because that's the beauty of the game, it's always evolving.

Actually, that's what makes me cringe - fans thinking their team is a shining beacon of perfection who should be worshipped by everyone else regardless. How dare anyone beat our team by sticking 11 men behind the ball and counter attacking ! You should have more respect, try and play "the right way" and then get hammered 4-0, like the rest of the teams that come here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Roy Keane said we were never gonna win it, when it was put to him "if you stayed Ireland had a chance of winning the world cup".... And according to many he is a "winner".

I agree with this. A lot of Ireland fans think we are unbeatable.

Back on topic. I cringe at Irish fans talk about italia 90 and usa94 as accomplishments. But slag/give out about England when they talk about world cup 66.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Actually, that's what makes me cringe - fans thinking their team is a shining beacon of perfection who should be worshipped by everyone else regardless..

I agree with this part. I cringe at fans that loves their club no matter what. And love players no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I thought of a lot of cringe worthy things reading this but to refer to football as 'a product' takes the biscuit.
    If I'm not happy with Brennan's breads product I'll switch to Johnson Mooney O Brien's one
    But if I'm not happy with Shamrock Rovers I'm not going to switch allegiance to Sligo etc.
    The point is a true supporter, whether LOI or EPL or wherever will stick with their team(product:( ) regardless.
    There's no 'terms and conditions apply.'
    Although size of crowds are inextricably linked to level of success, all 'success' is relative, but appreciated equally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

With Robbie Keane that's 0.1 x 10 clubs he has played for (2 spells at some)

People who still think that Robbie Keane clubs thing is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unbeaten in the qualifiers against Holland and Portugal. Drew with Germany and should have beat Spain without Keane who was one of the best midfielders in the world. I don't see how you couldn't say they were realistic winners with Keane. Korea would have been a very winnable game i am not saying we would have won it but with Keane it was possible.

Also i don't believe that 5 or 6 of your friends said those things about Holland, Keane and Duff. Maybe the odd person goes overboard with praise for your own team but not 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I've seen this comment about LOI grounds being very unwelcoming a few times around here.

Where are people seeing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

latenia wrote: »
    2002 was the best chance we'll ever have to win the thing, presuming that the quarter final wasn't going to be rigged (which is what most people think happened.)

We'll never win a World Cup, but that was definitely our best chance of doing so.

There was no standout team going into that World Cup, and a lot of the teams that would have been considered favourites were eliminated early on.

Only Brazil were on a completely different level to us. If we had got to the QFs we would have been outsiders, but not huge outsiders. Possibly a 25 or 33 to 1 shot to go the whole way, something we will never get close to being again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I begrudge people who don't support/take an interest in the LoI because well the majority of the excuses are that the standard is dire, yet they'll fork out thousands to go to the Euros to support Ireland? Not to mention the conveyor belt of players going from LoI to EPL and making it!

People spent a few hundred to go out and support Ireland in the Euro's, not thousands. And many were going for mostly for a summer holiday and some craic as much as supporting the side. The reaction on here during/after the Euro's to people enjoying themselves on holiday in Poland was cringeworthy. You'd swear it would be much better if we had 3,000 diehards out there and no bandwagoners. And it's not as if the Irish fans were going around with 'best fans in the world' signs. They can't help what the media decides to say/report.

This :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Football is a business, what's on the pitch is the product. I don't see how anyone can argue that. You can argue your 'passion' and your 'loyalty' and your 'character', but if any of your favoured team players were offered more money at a better club, they would be gone. It's demoralising to see things like that happen, when you really admire a player and you back him to the hilt regardless of the situation, only for the next transfer window to come and him to bug on to bigger and better things. But hey, that's life, I'd do the same, I'm sure you would. They're called professional for a reason.

If you want your loyalty, character and passion turn to an amateur sport, where people genuinely play for the love of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

People giving out about the word soccer. IMO this is the best word to describe the game, not football, which can cover 6 or 7 other sports.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Football is a business, what's on the pitch is the product. I don't see how anyone can argue that. You can argue your 'passion' and your 'loyalty' and your 'character', but if any of your favoured team players were offered more money at a better club, they would be gone. It's demoralising to see things like that happen, when you really admire a player and you back him to the hilt regardless of the situation, only for the next transfer window to come and him to bug on to bigger and better things. But hey, that's life, I'd do the same, I'm sure you would. They're called professional for a reason.

If you want your loyalty, character and passion turn to an amateur sport, where people genuinely play for the love of the game.
    Football is actually a sport, not a business.

Charging people entrance to a football match or to watch it via electronic media, or to buy memorabilia associated with the colours chosen by a particular football team. That is a business.

To you this may seem pedantic, but there is such a gigantic difference in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The Barcelona "mes que un club" (more than a club) slogan is pretty cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Xavi6 wrote: »
    This :pac:

1017212_539414249454402_2020945559_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

In my local with a few mates and two men in their late thirties or early forties having an argument over you'll never walk along . The argument was about who sang it first and then moved onto it means more to my team . What made it worse was the fact both of them where spotting the biggest amount of crap imaginable .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

that dublin decider :D dear lord that is unprecendented in terms of cringe.

THFC wrote: »

A product denotes that you change it when you want, I'd like to think the majority of supporters don't do that. It's only a product if you make it one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The Luis Suarez T-shirts worn by Dalglish and the LFC players at the DW Stadium in December 2011. I'd rather have seen us lose 4-0 than witness such nonsense.

In fact, Dalglish's whole response to the overall Suarez v Evra situation at the time was a disgrace. I was embarrassed when he let rip at a reporter who asked him about Suarez's actions at Old Trafford in February 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This thread is pretty cringe

Seems to be a way for trolls to try and fish while using it as a excuse to say it makes them cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The Barcelona "mes que un club" (more than a club) slogan is pretty cringeworthy.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/board-members/detail/card/more-than-a-club

" It is article 4, describing the functions of the club, which states that the second objective is “complementarily, the promotion and participation in social, cultural, artistic, scientific or recreational activities that are adequate and necessary for maintaining the public representation and projection that the club enjoys, the fruit of a permanent tradition of loyalty and service to club members, citizens and Catalonia”.

FC Barcelona has always been more than just a club, it is a symbol of a nation.

• Advertisement

What's actually being decided in the "Dublin Decider"? :confused:

Advertisement