Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What's actually being decided in the "Dublin Decider"? :confused:

Don't think I should post my thoughts on that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Arsenal players celebrating like they had won the CL, when they finished 4th in the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

djPSB wrote: »
    Arsenal players celebrating like they had won the CL, when they finished 4th in the League.
    Think the majority of teams in that situation would have been the same tbh.
    Sure it's many teams goal at the start of the season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

THFC wrote: »
    Football is a business, what's on the pitch is the product. I don't see how anyone can argue that. You can argue your 'passion' and your 'loyalty' and your 'character', but if any of your favoured team players were offered more money at a better club, they would be gone. It's demoralising to see things like that happen, when you really admire a player and you back him to the hilt regardless of the situation, only for the next transfer window to come and him to bug on to bigger and better things. But hey, that's life, I'd do the same, I'm sure you would. They're called professional for a reason.

If you want your loyalty, character and passion turn to an amateur sport, where people genuinely play for the love of the game.

I don't see how any of this classifies football as a business. Players wanting to move to bigger club where they're more likely to win trophies and be more successful isn't necessarily a "business decision".

What they do on the pitch isn't a producing product. Do you think David Moyes or Jose Mourinho will be going onto the training ground in August wondering how they're going to improve the product? No, they'll be having the exact same thoughts as Sunday League managers - "how am I going to win?" Football executives can describe the match-going experience as a product all they want, that doesn't make what happens on the pitch a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We've all celebrated draws against poor teams when we've snatched the equaliser very late on. Its basically the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What's actually being decided in the "Dublin Decider"? :confused:

I think the winner gets to call themselves "The Real Irish Club" from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

New money clubs and their fans talking about their clubs as though their recent wealth and success is somewhat normal for the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I hate when I'm playing a game of 5 a side and people take it incredibly seriously! I love a good competitive game but when people start giving out stink to their own team mates (usually friends!) for making a slight error I makes me cringe so hard. Also petty squabbles that result in over the top tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

People giving out about the word soccer. IMO this is the best word to describe the game, not football, which can cover 6 or 7 other sports.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

People giving out about the word soccer. IMO this is the best word to describe the game, not football, which can cover 6 or 7 other sports.

Would you call any sport football? Surely by your logic, no other sport should describe call itself football for the same reasons? In such a case, no sport would be called football, at which point the most popular variety (soccer) can call itself football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

calling it soccer is cringe imo. It's american or some gaa stubborness.

Football in the vast majority of the planet is.. soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't see how any of this classifies football as a business. Players wanting to move to bigger club where they're more likely to win trophies and be more successful isn't necessarily a "business decision".

What they do on the pitch isn't a producing product. Do you think David Moyes or Jose Mourinho will be going onto the training ground in August wondering how they're going to improve the product? No, they'll be having the exact same thoughts as Sunday League managers - "how am I going to win?" Football executives can describe the match-going experience as a product all they want, that doesn't make what happens on the pitch a product.
    What' the reason for the vast majority of footballers switching clubs? A small percentage stay/leave to build a legacy, an extremely small percentage. However, the vast majority of footballers move primarily for a bigger wage packet at a better club/company/business, whatever word you prefer.

The football on show is the product. Granted it's not your traditional product, but it's still a product. If the football on show is ineffective and boring, well then there will be a drop off in demand, i.e. fans. The only way to increase your customer base is to increase the quality of the product. And that's what the likes of David Moyes and Mourinho are being paid to do. Of course, there will always be a core of fans (customers) who come back regardless of what's on show, but every major company have these, my granny used to buy Daz for the 20 years, for no reason other than brand loyalty.

Of course, sports fans don't like hearing this, because sport, especially the more masculine sports, are about 'passion' and 'loyalty' and 'character', but it's not. It's a business, where millions, if not billions of euro/pounds are at stake, and millions of people will follow the more successful teams. What percentage of the Spanish football fans support either Barca or Real? What percentage of the Irish football fans support either United or Liverpool? It's the same bloody reason why the vast majority of people drink CocaCola rather than the lesser known brands, because they sell the best product.

People can say what they want, Association Football as we know it is a business. People become so attached to it because it's competitive, and that's only natural. I, like the majority of the population, like to take football at face value, and as a result I'm a big fan of Spurs. But I know it's a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What' the reason for the vast majority of footballers switching clubs? A small percentage stay/leave to build a legacy, an extremely small percentage. However, the vast majority of footballers move primarily for a bigger wage packet at a better club/company/business, whatever word you prefer.

The football on show is the product. Granted it's not your traditional product, but it's still a product. If the football on show is ineffective and boring, well then there will be a drop off in demand, i.e. fans. The only way to increase your customer base is to increase the quality of the product. And that's what the likes of David Moyes and Mourinho are being paid to do. Of course, there will always be a core of fans (customers) who come back regardless of what's on show, but every major company have these, my granny used to buy Daz for the 20 years, for no reason other than brand loyalty.

Of course, sports fans don't like hearing this, because sport, especially the more masculine sports, are about 'passion' and 'loyalty' and 'character', but it's not. It's a business, where millions, if not billions of euro/pounds are at stake, and millions of people will follow the more successful teams. What percentage of the Spanish football fans support either Barca or Real? What percentage of the Irish football fans support either United or Liverpool? It's the same bloody reason why the vast majority of people drink CocaCola rather than the lesser known brands, because they sell the best product.

People can say what they want, Association Football as we know it is a business. People become so attached to it because it's competitive, and that's only natural. I, like the majority of the population, like to take football at face value, and as a result I'm a big fan of Spurs. But I know it's a business.
    No no, it is still a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Leftist wrote: »

Naturally Americans are going to call it soccer, the definition of football in USA is gridiron.
    Its hardly stubbornness on their part to change what they've always called it.

CSF wrote: »
    No no, it is still a sport.
    Can't argue with that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Can't argue with that logic.

No you can't because he's right.

dan1895 wrote: »
    No you can't because he's right.
    Aye, but are both exclusively independent of each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Leftist wrote: »

Well as there are many football based games I don't really see what's so cringeworthy about using alternative names to differentiate between them, and I'm pretty certain it's not "Football", it's "Association Football".

Also, though I can't link to this, but I read somewhere once that it was the English who referred to it as soccer first (has nothing to do with Americans or GAA die-hards!) and soccer was actually the original name for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Naturally Americans are going to call it soccer, the definition of football in USA is gridiron.
    Its hardly stubbornness on their part to change what they've always called it.

I didn't mean the americans were stubborn.

Another cringe:
    people banging on about the champions league and how it's not a patch on the european cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Madworld wrote: »
    1017212_539414249454402_2020945559_n.jpg

1011324_10151424378732271_1181775562_n.jpg

And this is even more vomit inducing.

"Home Advantage" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I find it cringeworthy that so many people fail to put that "celebration" into context, 10 games to go, 7 points behind your biggest rival just having been defeated by them, season looks like it has totally gone down the toilet, they go on to win 26 out of the last 30 points available and claim 4th and Champions League qualification and all that goes with it.

That was relief and joy at a job very well done over the last two months of the season. I'm particularly surprised at this coming from a Liverpool fan, you should know all too well how difficult it is to get back in to the Champions League places once you miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Robbie Keane pushing away teammates to get that stupid shooting celebration going.

Any stadium, anywhere, when they play music after a goal.

Neil Lennon moaning.

Players repeatedly checking their nose/eye/somewhere hoping they'll see blood so they can be outraged to the ref.

Managers talking about how a debatable decision that didn't go their way when they were already losing 'changed the game'.

Alan Hansen talking about 'grit and determination.'

Late night Steve Claridge.

Aye, but are both exclusively independent of each other?

Yes. Football is a sport.

The selling of football related products and the charging of people to watch football being played is a business.

Football like most things that are in any way appealing can be sold in some way for profit. If we look at it this way then the whole world is a business.

Someone should be locked up for such crude misadvertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

You have to laugh at all the meaningless catchphrases though.

"Dublin decider", "Your Home Advantage" etc

I guess calling it "Liverpool bench v Celtic bench, playing at about 60% for a tin pot" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/board-members/detail/card/more-than-a-club

" It is article 4, describing the functions of the club, which states that the second objective is “complementarily, the promotion and participation in social, cultural, artistic, scientific or recreational activities that are adequate and necessary for maintaining the public representation and projection that the club enjoys, the fruit of a permanent tradition of loyalty and service to club members, citizens and Catalonia”.

FC Barcelona has always been more than just a club, it is a symbol of a nation.

TeamAmericaVomit.gif

Your posts about Barca are the definition of cringe

Yes. Football is a sport.

The selling of football related products and the charging of people to watch football being played is a business.

Football like most things that are in any way appealing can be sold in some way for profit. If we look at it this way then the whole world is a business.
    Right, so you're going to be pedantic. Football is a sport, well done. You know I'm referring to the big football clubs as businesses, which is what they are, and that is my point. Football, as well as being a sport, can also be a product. Which is what it is for professional clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

TeamAmericaVomit.gif

Your posts about Barca are the definition of cringe

Someone questioned the phrase "més que un club" so I linked them a page, explaining the origins of the phrase and it's meaning. I also quoted a piece from the page I linked and I added a line myself, generally summing up the meaning in a single sentence. All of which is entirely factual.

Right, so you're going to be pedantic. Football is a sport, well done. You know I'm referring to the big football clubs as businesses, which is what they are, and that is my point. Football, as well as being a sport, can also be a product. Which is what it is for professional clubs.

I'm not bring pedantic. Man United may be a business but football is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Not much point promoting high quality passing football round here, Anderson, mate, it only falls on deaf ears.

I think some of the LoI brigade would genuinely hate to see the league being successful or to have big attendances at grounds because they might perceive that value as a "real fan" (lol) is lessened.

Anyway, we've had this debate many times over and I genuinely feel sad for people who simply can't appreciate that the way Barca or Spain play is best for the game. To watch Spain v Uruguay (who are no mugs btw) the other night was magnificent!

I'm not bring pedantic. Man United may be a business but football is not.
    Football being a sport is a fact, that can't be argued. You're an intelligent poster, you knew what my point was.

Not much point promoting high quality passing football round here, Anderson, mate, it only falls on deaf ears.

I think some of the LoI brigade would genuinely hate to see the league being successful or to have big attendances at grounds because they might perceive that value as a "real fan" (lol) is lessened.

Anyway, we've had this debate many times over and I genuinely feel sad for people who simply can't appreciate that the way Barca or Spain play is best for the game. To watch Spain v Uruguay (who are no mugs btw) the other night was magnificent!

Spot on. All to often there does seem to be this odd aggression shown against Barcelona/Spain that I don't understand.

Like I've said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone being a LOI fan but, as we've seen a few times on this thread, if anyone questions the LOI or the attitudes of LOI fans you are quickly placed on a LOI inquisition. I agree that there is a paradox in it, while LOI fans claim to desperately want more fans to come and support their local clubs, it would be that very same mass support that would lessen their own importance to their clubs and ultimately lead to higher priced tickets and their clubs being operated more like a business than a community club.

That first half was something completely different. Spain/Barcelona and tiki taka has been written off a bit over the last year with claims or imminent decline, but Spain have never been better than that first half display.

Such sh*te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

This thread has its poster image, **** me that is terrible, I have tickets for this game but i am seriously thinking of flogging them off for big money and go on the piss.

major bill wrote: »
    This thread has its poster image, **** me that is terrible, I have tickets for this game but i am seriously thinking of flogging them off for big money and go on the piss.

Fools and their money are easily parted. Flog away good sir, flog away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

It's not soccer IT'S FUH-BAAAAL warble warble anti-America rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Yea because the people who are committed 7 days a week fundraising, volunteering to keep the clubs afloat dont want to see their hard work pay off., LOI Brigade?? cringe

As for the second part of your post, christ lets all play like Spain even though we dont have the players, we might lose every game but hey we are playing the game the way it should be played. Delusional!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not much point promoting high quality passing football round here, Anderson, mate, it only falls on deaf ears.u

Think youve completely missed the point if you think people are commenting on his posts and saying Barca don't play good football.

Corholio wrote: »
    Think youve completely missed the point if you think people are commenting on his posts and saying Barca don't play good football.

I'm sure some people do enjoy watching them play but perhaps don't enjoy my comments.

Equally if you were to read some of the comments during the Spain vs Uruguay game it was ridiculous, with posters "yawning" and being "put to sleep" by one of the most complete performances the best national side in history have ever put together. That is something that makes me cringe, these people (fans and journalists) with their anti-Spain rhetoric, by the time Euro 2012 rolled around they realised they had no equal for Spain on the pitch so they resorted to 6 year olds "this is boring" argument.

Football being a sport is a fact, that can't be argued. You're an intelligent poster, you knew what my point was.
    I do know what your point was, I just really really think you're wrong.

• Advertisement

I'm sure some people do enjoy watching them play but perhaps don't enjoy my comments.

Equally if you were to read some of the comments during the Spain vs Uruguay game it was ridiculous, with posters "yawning" and being "put to sleep" by one of the most complete performances the best national side in history have ever put together. That is something that makes me cringe, these people (fans and journalists) with their anti-Spain rhetoric, by the time Euro 2012 rolled around they realised they had no equal for Spain on the pitch so they resorted to 6 year olds "this is boring" argument.

I don't think anyone is demeaning their quality by saying the match was boring, we all know they're a superb team. But a quality of a match still has to be judged, passing it around fantastically is an incredible skill to have, but it doesn't make for great watching all the time, especially when a lot of it is midfield passing. But surely your not naive enough to think it always makes for a great match.

Will Spain destroying Tahiti tonight make for a great game?

I don't think anyone is demeaning their quality by saying the match was boring, we all know they're a superb team. But a quality of a match still has to be judged, passing it around fantastically is an incredible skill to have, but it doesn't make for great watching all the time, especially when a lot of it is midfield passing. But surely your not naive enough to think it always makes for a great match.

Will Spain destroying Tahiti tonight make for a great game?

Thing is, that's what Spain do. They don't change. This wasn't a once off. Infact I'd say over 90 minutes they showed more attacking verve and more tenacity against Uruguay than they have in quite some time and still we got yawns and sleep. It's a matter of appreciating the technical brilliance of this Spanish side and admiring how, as a team in unison, they maneuver the ball about the pitch, controlling the game from start to finish while also creating numerous chances. Personally I'd say any game where Spain show such quality is a great game.

If their play is as good as it was against Uruguay then yes. Will it be competitive? Probably not but there are things that can be admired other than competitiveness.

Thing is, that's what Spain do. They don't change. This wasn't a once off. Infact I'd say over 90 minutes they showed more attacking verve and more tenacity against Uruguay than they have in quite some time and still we got yawns and sleep. It's a matter of appreciating the technical brilliance of this Spanish side and admiring how, as a team in unison, they maneuver the ball about the pitch, controlling the game from start to finish while also creating numerous chances. Personally I'd say any game where Spain show such quality is a great game.

If their play is as good as it was against Uruguay then yes. Will it be competitive? Probably not but there are things that can be admired other than competitiveness.

We're not even disagreeing on how good Spain are, they're brilliant. We all admire them, it's just not always extremely exciting. That's not even a criticism, just a judgement on watching 90 minutes of football.

I do know what your point was, I just really really think you're wrong.
    Right, that's a very well articulated point, I fully understand your opinion.

We're not even disagreeing on how good Spain are, they're brilliant. We all admire them, it's just not always extremely exciting. That's not even a criticism, just a judgement on watching 90 minutes of football.

Fair enough, maybe it's down to the individual. Personally I could watch Spain play every day, maybe others don't enjoy the short passing game as much, I just don't think it should be labelled boring.

Right, that's a very well articulated point, I fully understand your opinion.
    I've already articulated it in previous posts which you pretty much ignored, instead calling me pedantic. What is the point in me repeating myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fair enough, maybe it's down to the individual. Personally I could watch Spain play every day, maybe others don't enjoy the short passing game as much, I just don't think it should be labelled boring.

Out of curiosity which would you prefer to watch, Barcalona or Spain?

kksaints wrote: »
    Ah man, don't make him choose.

kksaints wrote: »

That's a tough one. On one hand I am a fan of so many non-Barcelona Spanish players. But on the other hand there's Messi and I have more of an emotional attachment to Barcelona than Spain so I'd say Barcelona. Both are a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A product denotes that you change it when you want, I'd like to think the majority of supporters don't do that. It's only a product if you make it one.
    Just because you're emotionally invested in something doesn't make it any less of a product. See queues outside Apple stores for the latest iPhone release as example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement