Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Just because you're emotionally invested in something doesn't make it any less of a product. See queues outside Apple stores for the latest iPhone release as example.
    I'm sorry but what? How is that an example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Just because you're emotionally invested in something doesn't make it any less of a product. See queues outside Apple stores for the latest iPhone release as example.

If you think changing from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4 is the same as supporting Man Utd and then changing to Man City, then fair enough. I certainly don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The attitude of certain LOI posters on here would actually make you not want to go to a LOI game.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The attitude of certain LOI posters on here would actually make you not want to go to a LOI game.

The thing is, I know a good few LOI supporters and they are nothing like some of the lads in here.

Would you not find it a bit weird if I said I was put off going to Liverpool matches because I think you're a bit of a gimp on the Internet...............hypothetically speaking

CSF wrote: »
    Would you not find it a bit weird if I said I was put off going to Liverpool matches because I think you're a bit of a gimp on the Internet...............hypothetically speaking

No I would not find it weird at all.

No I would not find it weird at all.

I find that weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Corholio wrote: »
    Think youve completely missed the point if you think people are commenting on his posts and saying Barca don't play good football.

LOL, you have people on this forum calling Spain "boring" (their words not mine!) all the time.

Imo, we are very lucky to watch one of the greatest (possibly the greatest) international sides of all time! Double European champions and World Champions; plus I think they play an attractive style of passing and movement.

People will talk about this Spanish side and their style of play in 50 years time, just like people refer to the great Dutch team of the 70s and their total football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That is quite sad tbh.

• Advertisement

LOL, you have people on this forum calling Spain "boring" (their words not mine!) all the time.

Imo, we are very lucky to watch one of the greatest (possibly the greatest) international sides of all time! Double European champions and World Champions; plus I think they play an attractive style of passing and movement.

People will talk about this Spanish side and their style of play in 50 years time, just like people refer to the great Dutch team of the 70s and their total football.

Twice you missed the point. Surely a record.

I agreed they are a phenomenal team, but the matches they are involved in can get boring. For example, 8 goals so far tonight have never seen so uninteresting. I also said it wasn't really a criticism, but if using superlatives online just for the sake of it keeps you happy fair enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

SantryRed wrote: »
    That is quite sad tbh.

I've come to find lately that a lot of people that drink water are *****. I drink San Pelligrino, because it's the best around. I have no reason to drink my local tap water because it is ****, the piping facilities are ****. These attitude of these **** water drinkers actually make me not want to drink water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've come to find lately that a lot of people that drink water are *****. I drink San Pelligrino, because it's the best around. I have no reason to drink my local tap water because it is ****, the piping facilities are ****. These attitude of these **** water drinkers actually make me not want to drink water.

I've read it all now.

You should go and support your local water treatment plant. Because that's what the argument is right? Sure god love ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I've read it all now.

You should go and support your local water treatment plant. Because that's what the argument is right? Sure god love ya.

I laughed out loud.

I've read it all now.

I never said that. Just that I wouldn't drink tap water because of the attitudes of some tap water drinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Going by his point id never touch an Ireland, Liverpool, Celtic, Man United or any football ground in general.

I never said that. Just that I wouldn't drink tap water because of the attitudes of some tap water drinkers.

That's up there with one of most retarded comparisons I have seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

SantryRed wrote: »
    That is quite sad tbh.

Your right it is quiet sad.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's the flouride. Alex Jones told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

That is up there with the most retarded spellings of the word quite I've seen in a while ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I wish him well.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

*quite

It would be quite a challenge to come up with a non-retarded comparison to your argument.

That is up there with the most retarded spellings of the word quite I've seen in a while ;-)

Why are you so bitter. Why give a **** if people want to support an English team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is not a LOI vs not LOI thread. It's also not a grammar/spelling nazi thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The idea that a minority of fans could put someone off going to any game, LoI or otherwise, makes me cringe. And cringe hard.

Are you that weak a character? If so then the problem isn't those few other people in the grand scheme of things, it's you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The idea that a minority of fans could put someone off going to any game, LoI or otherwise, makes me cringe. And cringe hard.

Are you that weak a character? If so then the problem isn't those few other people in the grand scheme of things, it's you.

Reminds me of something I heard (in a TV show) recently:

If you meet an a$$hole in the morning, you have met an a$$hole.
    If you meet A$$holes all day, you're the a$$hole.

Anyway, back on topic one of the most cringe worthy things in football is how some supporters (of every team) will defend one of their players or a decision for their team to the hilt when it is clear, especially when video replays show how wrong it was.

An example would be Eduardo's dive a few years ago. It was a dive, simple as, and there is no real defending it. It wasn't "going down easy" it was just a plain dive, and yet I heard some other Arsenal supporters trying to defend it. The sooner these things are called for what they are, the sooner the chance the game could be improved. Some people just can't seem to admit their team/player was clearly in the wrong and that is one of the most cringe inducing things I see among fans at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The 3 stars above the Man City badge being there for decorative purposes

Real Salt Lake
    Sporting Kansas City, isn't as bad but close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Real Salt Lake is pretty bad, but I don't see the problem with Sporting KC....are they not a sports club?

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Real Salt Lake is pretty bad, but I don't see the problem with Sporting KC....are they not a sports club?

Are Salt Lake not real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What about Internazionale Kenmare?

DaveyCakes wrote: »

they were supposed to be but i'm not sure if they're, yet anyway

that's why i said it isn't as bad - being a multi sports club would cover them

but you know it's a rip off, not really a name associated with football clubs in english speaking countries, to make them sound more 'euro'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The 3 stars above the Man City badge being there for decorative purposes

New badge was done up in 97 before the stars on a crest symbolised successes such as league or european titles. They are decorative but thay have never claimed to be anything other than a detail on a crest. The club had looked to revert to the original badge but the image rights held are just ridiculously priced.

I'd find it less cringy than Utd trying to get any number to fit the letters 'io' in champions after one very clever marketing campaign.

New badge was done up in 97 before the stars on a crest symbolised successes such as league or european titles. They are decorative but thay have never claimed to be anything other than a detail on a crest. The club had looked to revert to the original badge but the image rights held are just ridiculously priced.

I'd find it less cringy than Utd trying to get any number to fit the letters 'io' in champions after one very clever marketing campaign.

go away outa that

they couldn't really claim to be anything other than decorative though could they?

They may well be just decorative but it looks bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

a couple of things.

People who have never been next nor near the ground of the team they ' support ' saying we this , or we that like they were part of the club

People in English PL shirts giving out about England..... Ill explain myself

I ( I am English ) was watching England V France in a pub, the one where England were two 2 nil up , then managed to scrape a 2-2 draw . Anyway this gob**** started screaming racist abuse at me , I laughed in his face because he was wearing a ManU shirt !!

From that day to this I have not watched an England game in an Irish pub , too many idiots TBH ( although watching England is never really a pleasure ).

go away outa that

they couldn't really claim to be anything other than decorative though could they?

They may well be just decorative but it looks bad

This old chestnut.

The club never said they symbolised anything. If they had come out with "Yeah we won a few trophies back in 19xx and it's a nod to our history" then you would have justification for your cheap shot.

They didn't so you're just looking to manipulate something decorative to suit your 'argument', which is actually the cringeworthy part of it all :)

This old chestnut.

The club never said they symbolised anything. If they had come out with "Yeah we won a few trophies back in 19xx and it's a nod to our history" then you would have justification for your cheap shot.

They didn't so you're just looking to manipulate something decorative to suit your 'argument', which is actually the cringeworthy part of it all :)

how is it a cheap shot?
    Just because you support them, straight on the defensive, untwist your knickers there precious.

everyone knows stars above crests are known to symbolise titles - any clown knows this

it looks ridiculous when they're there for decorative purposes - that's what i'm saying

if they symbolised titles i wouldn't think it looked ridiculous & wouldn't have mentioned it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The City crest is shíte. Now that we agree, can we go back to cringe worthy football things?

One thing that makes me cringe is when any supporter of any club taunts another supporter of another club over some tragic event in their past. i.e. Munich, Hillsborough etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How long have stars above crests represented Cups etc, and how long have City used that particular crest?

Leiva wrote: »
    How long have stars above crests represented Cups etc, and how long have City used that particular crest?

city since 1997

Juve 1958

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(football_badge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Chelsea had two stars on their old ( not the Ken Bates horrible Millwall look alike badge ) from the early 70's , signified the FA Cup and ECWC triumph in the early 70's.

how is it a cheap shot?
    Just because you support them, straight on the defensive, untwist your knickers there precious.

:D Calm down "precious", you'll give yourself a hernia.

You don't like City so you had a dig, expect to be pulled up on it. It's the way these things work so take it on the chin and move on.

:D Calm down "precious", you'll give yourself a hernia.

You don't like City so you had a dig, expect to be pulled up on it. It's the way these things work so take it on the chin and move on.

i have nothing against city, why do you think i do?

If anyone says anything that can be deemed remotely offensive against your team - they don't like them & are having a dig :pac::pac::pac:

stars above a badge for decorative purposes are fúcking stupid be it man city, arsenal, real madrid or whoever has it, i would say it

you've taken the whole thing up wrong & need to a have time out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

in fairness that is well before FIFA recognised the symbol.

In the equipment regulations for FIFA competitions, section 18.2 2003 states "Those Member Associations that have won the FIFA World Cup may put a symbol on the playing shirt representing this accomplishment and the number of times won

Im guessing most City fans have a problem with them also. Its more funny than cringe but.

i have nothing against city, why do you think i do?

If anyone says anything that can be deemed remotely offensive against your team - they don't like them & are having a dig :pac::pac::pac:

stars above a badge for decorative purposes are fúcking stupid be it man city, arsenal, real madrid or whoever has it, i would say it

you've taken the whole thing up wrong & need to a have time out

Well yes, you ARE having dig by calling it cringey, same as pretty much everything in this thread. It's the nature of it.

No need for a "time out", thanks anyway though dad. Just engaging in discussion which you seem to have taken issue with for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well yes, you ARE having dig by calling it cringey, same as pretty much everything in this thread. It's the nature of it.

No need for a "time out", thanks anyway though dad. Just engaging in discussion which you seem to have taken issue with for some reason.

It's clearly cringey, you're being very sensitive tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

keane2097 wrote: »

Ironically something he finds cringey. :pac:

keane2097 wrote: »

I disagree, that's why I replied and I'm not sensitive in the slightest. Eleven years around these parts gives you a tougher skin than that ;)

If the club dressed it up as something symbolising success (e.g. A few trophies 50 years ago) then it'd be cringey because it would be celebrating something with little modern relevance. Instead they've said from day one that it's decorative and never pretended otherwise.

I agree 100% that it looks crap, always have, but it isn't cringey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement