Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Cringe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well yes, you ARE having dig by calling it cringey, same as pretty much everything in this thread. It's the nature of it.

No need for a "time out", thanks anyway though dad. Just engaging in discussion which you seem to have taken issue with for some reason.

OK son, just trying to keep you on the right path, nobody likes people who get offended at every little thing and go on the defensive accusing people of 'cheap shots'

how can you have a discussion with someone who seems to think that the only reason i mentioned it is to have a dig at city?

I didn't mention it for a dig at city, I find the idea/concept of having stars above a crest as decoration stupid, can you not understand that?

calling something cringy isn't what i'd define as a dig really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I disagree, that's why I replied and I'm not sensitive in the slightest. Eleven years around these parts gives you a tougher skin than that ;)

If the club dressed it up as something symbolising success (e.g. A few trophies 50 years ago) then it'd be cringey because it would be celebrating something with little modern relevance. Instead they've said from day one that it's decorative and never pretended otherwise.

I agree 100% that it looks crap, always have, but it isn't cringey.

They don't have to come out and explicitly state this star means this trophy, this star means this trophy for the implication to be there. Stars on the jersey simply represents past successes in soccer, has done for 50 years. You can play it off like they're just there for decoration, but the thought behind the decision is obvious.

Like, you can't just lash a swastika on a jersey and say it's just a decoration, the symbol is already widely understood to mean something, insisting on using it means at best you're pretty stupid in thinking you can avoid the a priori meaning of the thing, but almost certainly you're just trying to avoid being laughed at while still wanting the association the symbol implies. Either way it's pretty cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

batistuta9 wrote: »
    OK son, just trying to keep you on the right path, nobody likes people who get offended at every little thing and go on the defensive accusing people of 'cheap shots'

how can you have a discussion with someone who seems to think that the only reason i mentioned it is to have a dig at city?

I didn't mention it for a dig at city, I find the idea/concept of having stars above a crest as decoration stupid, can you not understand that?

calling something cringy isn't what i'd define as a dig really

Fair enough if you didn't mean it as a dig, I took you up the wrong way there.

I agree with it being a stupid idea, as I've said already, but I don't look at the crest and cringe like I would if it stood for a few things won decades ago.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    They don't have to come out and explicitly state this star means this trophy, this star means this trophy for the implication to be there. Stars on the jersey simply represents past successes in soccer, has done for 50 years. You can play it off like they're just there for decoration, but the thought behind the decision is obvious.

But that's the thing, City haven't won enough of a particular trophy for them to symbolise anything specific (until the last couple of years).

They ARE just a decoration, there's nothing else they could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I agree with it being a stupid idea, as I've said already, but I don't look at the crest and cringe like I would if it stood for a few things won decades ago.

I'd be the exact opposite, i think they look worse when they represent nothing

no matter how long ago the trophies were they're showing the achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There really is no logic to Man City having a star above their crest, and considering what the star symbolises, and I think the Man City people are smart enough to know what, then I think the star does belong in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But that's the thing, City haven't won enough of a particular trophy for them to symbolise anything specific (until the last couple of years).

They ARE just a decoration, there's nothing else they could be.

But sure that's like me going around wearing an Olympic medal or a WSOP bracelet that I haven't won as an accessory - it's just a decoration, and I'm just a gob****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I thought it was cringey City had two stars on their crest before I found out they signify nothing. Now its made my balls ache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Davidth88 wrote: »
    a couple of things.

People who have never been next nor near the ground of the team they ' support ' saying we this , or we that like they were part of the club

People in English PL shirts giving out about England..... Ill explain myself

I ( I am English ) was watching England V France in a pub, the one where England were two 2 nil up , then managed to scrape a 2-2 draw . Anyway this gob**** started screaming racist abuse at me , I laughed in his face because he was wearing a ManU shirt !!

From that day to this I have not watched an England game in an Irish pub , too many idiots TBH ( although watching England is never really a pleasure ).

Are you surprised? The chap probably shouts abuse at Rooney when England are playing, it's the Irish Goon logic...

Rangers do that in Scotland too with the stars like City (well they did, not sure if they still do).

5 start for every 10 league they won or something. Celtic had the one star for big ears.

EDIT, just read above that the city star actually represents nothing!!

I think we have a winner folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

BNSVCRfCUAAdxNX.png:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Man City fans doing the Poznan. Was weird watching a Man City fan doing it in the pub.

People who haven't attended a LOI game in years but preach they don't go because the football is terrible.

LOI supporters who go around calling people barstoolers. It's not the majority but a few i know do it. I know in general most try encourage people to go to games but that really puts me off going.

United fans who hurl abuse at United players when playing for England.

Liverpool and United fans i know who celebrate their rivals defeats more than their own teams wins.

People who support Barcelona and Spain because of how they play. They crack up when they lose claiming it's unfair the other team parked the bus and got lucky. They seem blinded to the fact football is played in many ways. It's easy to praise how the likes of Barca play. What's more beautiful is watching underdogs putting a game plan together to beat a better team e.g Milan beating Barca at home this year.

Hate people saying all teams should play the Barca way. Not all teams have three of the best midfielders of their generation and probably the best player of all time.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Man City fans doing the Poznan. Was weird watching a Man City fan doing it in the pub.

People who haven't attended a LOI game in years but preach they don't go because the football is terrible.

LOI supporters who go around calling people barstoolers. It's not the majority but a few i know do it. I know in general most try encourage people to go to games but that really puts me off going.

United fans who hurl abuse at United players when playing for England.

Liverpool and United fans i know who celebrate their rivals defeats more than their own teams wins.

People who support Barcelona and Spain because of how they play. They crack up when they lose claiming it's unfair the other team parked the bus and got lucky. They seem blinded to the fact football is played in many ways. It's easy to praise how the likes of Barca play. What's more beautiful is watching underdogs putting a game plan together to beat a better team e.g Milan beating Barca at home this year.

Hate people saying all teams should play the Barca way. Not all teams have three of the best midfielders of their generation and probably the best player of all time.

On his own?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    On his own?

No it was when they scored against United he convinced a few Liverpool fans to join in.

No it was when they scored against United he convinced a few Liverpool fans to join in.

:D

:D

Haha was a few pints knocked over when RVP scored the winner in injury time.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The idea that a minority of fans could put someone off going to any game, LoI or otherwise, makes me cringe. And cringe hard.

Are you that weak a character? If so then the problem isn't those few other people in the grand scheme of things, it's you.

I go to LOI games myself so I'm not put off by a lot of LOI fans on here, but for people who are 50/50 about going they could easily be put off by people in here, I'm a LOI supporter and i cringe hard myself at the attitude other LOI fans have towards people who support english teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are you surprised? The chap probably shouts abuse at Rooney when England are playing, it's the Irish Goon logic...

In fairness its very uncommon for that to happen, the ones usually having a go at the english are people that dont give a **** about football.

Haha was a few pints knocked over when RVP scored the winner in injury time.:D

In a non cringeworthy way of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness its very uncommon for that to happen, the ones usually having a go at the english are people that dont give a **** about football.

Yeah I've cheered on England (not OTT) a couple of times in pubs where I live and had no problems. I think there is probably a similar chance of Irish fans cheering Ireland in a pub in England will stumble across an English caveman up for a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

keane2097 wrote: »
    What about Internazionale Kenmare?

Or Dynamo Rooskey.

The play at the Stadium of No Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Would you call any sport football? Surely by your logic, no other sport should describe call itself football for the same reasons? In such a case, no sport would be called football, at which point the most popular variety (soccer) can call itself football.

I have no problem with it being called football, I do it myself. I do however have a problem being corrected if I happen to call it soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seeing bunch of muppets at Turners Cross who just boo everything that goes against City.

There about 10 of them in corner. I cringe hard when they start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The phrase "cringe hard".

Wat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Managers using the expression 'Barclays Premier League'. It used to be an Owen Coyle thing but it has spread.

• Advertisement

The phrase "cringe hard".

Wat?

This

When people draw comparisons between football and rugby or American football. Not the mere notion of such a comparison, but I've never seen it done in a way that didn't make me want to vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

this thread
    some ppl cringe over the simpliest things

MD1990 wrote: »
    this thread
    some ppl cringe over the simpliest things

You too apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

The Boards.ie soccer forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People that whinge about that English football should return to all Saturday 3pm games.

1. Why would you want all the games on at the same time? When you could watch 3 or 4 over the weekend. For instance this season, Liverpool v Man Utd is on the same gameweek as Spurs-Arsenal in week 3. Why would you only want to only watch one?

2. Football fans more than any other sport would be traditionally closed minded to other sports, what would they these guys do on Sundays?

3. If all games were moved to Saturday 3pm we would be stuck watching Man Utd and Liverpool every week, no matter who they were playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

People that whinge about that English football should return to all Saturday 3pm games.

1. Why would you want all the games on at the same time? When you could watch 3 or 4 over the weekend. For instance this season, Liverpool v Man Utd is on the same gameweek as Spurs-Arsenal in week 3. Why would you only want to only watch one?

2. Football fans more than any other sport would be traditionally closed minded to other sports, what would they these guys do on Sundays?

3. If all games were moved to Saturday 3pm we would be stuck watching Man Utd and Liverpool every week, no matter who they were playing.

Kick off times should suit fans that are going to games, not moved around at the whim of TV companies.

Where are these people,as I've never met one?

I cant remember that being said by anyone myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The ridiculously overhyped coverage of the EPL on Sky Sports News... probably at its worst on transfer deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Where are these people,as I've never met one?

They certainly don't work for Irish newspapers.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I cant remember that being said by anyone myself.

I know plenty, but as has beeen said they'll be people who go to games.

When people use the term grammar nazi in relation to bad spelling errors.

When people spell badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When the news that Celtic drew Cliftonville broke earlier today I had a few chats with lads in the job cos I thought it may grab their attention/interest. Four of them informed me there was gonna be war and there'll be killings. I asked why is that?

Eh duh, Catholics against the huns.

Some people on this island haven't a notion.

Omackeral wrote: »
    When the news that Celtic drew Cliftonville broke earlier today I had a few chats with lads in the job cos I thought it may grab their attention/interest. Four of them informed me there was gonna be war and there'll be killings. I asked why is that?

Eh duh, Catholics against the huns.

Some people on this island haven't a notion.

Probably more ignorance than anything seeing as they were probably mixing Linfield up with Cliftonville.

Bringing religion into football is definately cringe though. It's actually ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The amount of Tricolours at that game will be cringe!

NIMAN wrote: »
    The amount of Tricolours at that game will be cringe!

UK Derby ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Omackeral wrote: »
    UK Derby ;)

You probably think Paul McGrath is English too! ;)

He's the Black Pearl of Inchicore MK I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

This won't be a popular choice but it genuinely makes me cringe so I'm compelled to post:

When players point to the sky after they have scored in dedication to their God or someone who has died. As an atheist I find it so simplistic and it almost sums up the dumb modern footballer. Add to that the fact that they all copy each other in doing it and then it becomes yet another generic celebration.

I really don't want to bring religious beliefs into this thread but I immediately thought about this when I read the thread title. It's not so much the religious element that bothers me. It's the unoriginality of the players.

Yes. And the obligatory back of the wrist kiss. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

markc1184 wrote: »
    Only thing that really gets to me is how commentators pronounce Cahill.

The "Davies"/"Davis thing is quite interchangeable as well it seems.

Kevin Davies you'd think would take an "ees" sound at the end, but most say it as Davis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

When people make comparisons of players based on appearance as much as anything like when Jamie Redknapp said Milos Krasic was in Pavel Nedved mould(my arse he is) and when people said Ariel Ortega is the new Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Let's all have a disco, Silva, Navas, Is....awwwh.

The Liverpool superthread with this Mickey Ryan ****e, gway.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good goal, that.

Ok then, Yoda.

Advertisement