Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Pears

• 16-06-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble with pear trees not producing pears?
    Bad weather to blame?
    Ive 2 pear trees, one a concorde and one I cant remember.
    Last year, 4 pears total. this year none!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

No sign of pears on my trees either. Late frost is probably what killed them. I have read this can be a problem for pears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Late frosts can be a problem for more than just pear trees, that is why commercial orchards spray a fine mist of water over the buds if there is risk of frost so the water freezes and on freezing creates a tiny amount of heat therefore protecting the bud inside.

Here in the South west, we are set to have a bumper crop of pears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

One of the main problems with pears for me is that they flower and set fruit much earlier than apples -so, if its a cold spring there are no insects to pollinate the flowers, and those that do form are more vulnerable to bad weather, hail, frost etc. We get very very little frost here but the hail showers can be destructive, not to mention the gales and heavy rain.
    On average I get a good crop from most apple trees every 2nd year at worst, but for the pears it could be every 3, 4 or 5 years. Same for plums.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

I live in Co. Offaly and am looking forward to a bumper crop of pears this year. We didn't seem to have the late frosts this year which have affected my crops in previous years. Although it was a long winter this year, I don't think we had the late frosts this year like we had in May in the last couple of years which affected fruit crops and also burned and stalled the new potatoes.

Advertisement