Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inset Boiler Stoves

• 16-06-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Henley,Alpha,Firebird,Stanley etc.. eennie meennie minie mo,which inset should i go with? Any advice would be welcome as confusion is setting in.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

roshje wrote: »
    Henley,Alpha,Firebird,Stanley etc.. eennie meennie minie mo,which inset should i go with? Any advice would be welcome as confusion is setting in.:)

I've the Stanley Cara Inset & am very pleased with it.
    The Henley is a very nice one also.

I went with the enamelled finish & am so glad I did. Very easy to clean & never have to paint which the matt one will have to regularly if you are fanatical about the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭roshje

shane0007 wrote: »

I went with the enamelled finish & am so glad I did. Very easy to clean & never have to paint which the matt one will have to regularly if you are fanatical about the look of it.

Cheers for the info Shane0007 do you find the firebox very big?

Cheers for the info Shane0007 do you find the firebox very big?

It's big enough for what is needed to burn in it. Very large logs need to be cut smaller but one small log lasts over an hour belting out heat. I find balancing both air vents works best, i.e. bottom & rear air vents. A few cubes of Ecobrite is all that is needed for a good base fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gedmen

Same here. I've narrowed it down to 2:
    Stanley Cara plus 16.8 Kw €1500 or
    Henley Achill 16.4 Kw €1100

Mixed quality issues reported with the casting in both unfortunately (Chinese).

€400 difference in price to the matt cara+ but Stanley is a big brand here in Ireland with a bigger rep to protect.

Achill has more output to room with convection.
    Still not decided...

Thanks for that Gedmen, im inclined to go for the ESSE 350 greenswitch not as much output but seems most reliable. But could still change my mind.

• Advertisement

I've 8 rads downstairs 5 of them doubles. Could switch off a couple and will probably have to with the Cara and Achill but both have higher ratings than the Esse 11.1 Kw to water v 13.2 Cara and 11.9 Acill.
    UK build though and a very good price online - hmmm... could be a runner.

Hoping to switch to upstairs rads an hour before bedtime and stop using the oil if possible.

Esse 350 GS has no airwash :mad:

Is that the Cara+ Shane?
    Is there good room heat without the in room rads?

It's the Cara Inset Non-Boiler model.

I have UFH so no rads. Living is open plan through an arch to a very large kitchen. There is a playroom with double doors (always open).
    It heats all rooms with no problems whatsoever.
    Best heat with Ecobrite. Tried other fuels first but nowhere near as good.

Gedmen wrote: »
    Esse 350 GS has no airwash :mad:

Is airwash important?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Well, if you don't mind blackened glass, then no it's not important. If you like the clean glass & be able to see the flame, then it is very important.

Absolutely. Well, if you don't mind blackened glass, then no it's not important. If you like the clean glass & be able to see the flame, then it is very important.

Cheers Shane0007

Airwash a must for me although i'm sure 20 mins of hot burning would clear most of the soot on the Esse too, but Airwash is dedicated to that purpose and from what i hear works well. I have thought about non boiler but if i'm going to fuel and empty and keep clean a stove i would like the most return. I'll be using more fuel for less heat to room than non boilers but i'll be gaining the rads in the rooms and lots of hot water. Non boilers are easier and cheaper to run - no question.

Airwash a must for me although i'm sure 20 mins of hot burning would clear most of the soot on the Esse too, but Airwash is dedicated to that purpose and from what i hear works well. I have thought about non boiler but if i'm going to fuel and empty and keep clean a stove i would like the most return. I'll be using more fuel for less heat to room than non boilers but i'll be gaining the rads in the rooms and lots of hot water. Non boilers are easier and cheaper to run - no question.

Let me know which one you get. Cheers

Stratford EB 12i boiler stove :)

Hey Gedmen best of luck with it i am still undecided gone off the esse, might have a look at the Straford. Keep me updated on how it goes :)Cheers

I see Stratford have a 16i boiler stove which would suit my needs

Yes saw that. Did you get any prices or specs? Definitely a better buy for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....installed two winters ago.
    Airwash.
    Multifuel.
    No regrets. Bought in Glorneys. Great job got chimney lined aswell.

Not a good pic. but only one on hand,
    P1020659_zpsea2e3f66.jpg

http://www.dilussofires.co.uk/
    P1020134-1.jpg

Sorry......just noticed thread title.
    This ain't a boiler. :(

€1800 on stoves.ie i think

• Advertisement

Yes saw that. Did you get any prices or specs? Definitely a better buy for me.

stovecentre.ie does 9-10 rads

Should do more rads than that at 16kws to water.

Nice Stove Planet X What make is it and what output are you getting?

Di Lusso R4. Not sure of output but matched for a 12 X 14 type room. Plenty hot enough. Sometimes too hot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wish i knew about airwash, my stanley breaks my heart with the black glass.

What you're burning has a big bearing on the smoky glass. Turf is a hewer. Smokeless fuel is obviously pretty good and dried wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 termo

Hi, thinking of installing, inset back boiler stove, lots of makes on the market- any advice on which one to choose. Which would be the best value for my money.

we have 13 rads, ( 3 doubles) but intend to turn off one or two near the inset as my sittingroom only requires about 3kw heat output. We will also have oil heating.

My sitting room dining room kitchen- lower hall can be sectioned off from rest of house.

Any advice most appreciated. West Limerick area.

termo wrote: »
    Hi, thinking of installing, inset back boiler stove, lots of makes on the market- any advice on which one to choose. Which would be the best value for my money.

we have 13 rads, ( 3 doubles) but intend to turn off one or two near the inset as my sittingroom only requires about 3kw heat output. We will also have oil heating.

My sitting room dining room kitchen- lower hall can be sectioned off from rest of house.

Any advice most appreciated. West Limerick area.

Look at the "stratford insets", suppose to have a new one out this month the 16i, its a start. Lot of posters must be hibernating for the summer very slow postings going on. Cheers

Thanks for your help will check this out. Would welcome any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

We have a stratford EB 12 - Stand Alone not insert and I cannot praise it highly enough.. Love it, loads of hot water and hot rads. Barely put on the oil since we got it about a year ago. Very efficient, doesn't take very much fuel to get the water heated and the rads on

I have no reason to doubt that the insert versions are every bit as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

Has anyone any experience with a King Star Dragon boiler insert? I cant find any reviews. I have seen a couple of the Elm model, very happy customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damocr

You can get the achill as an insert boiler as well, its 17kw. Seems to be as good as the yola. it has the airwash and cleanburn.

Hi again,

Many thanks for all your advice, I'm trying to make my mind up about which inset stove to buy. Finding it so hard as there are so many on the market.

I went to see the Stratford EB 12 IHE on display in a store yesterday. Was a little concerned that it would require Anthracite. Which is more expensive. Has anyone any ideas about this?

We also saw the Mulberry and spoke to someone who had one installed. He was so pleased with his inset. However it takes almost 3 hours to get water and heating to full potential. Stratford claimed to do this is less time. But I guess its down to what you put in the inset stove.

We also looked again at the Esse 350gs. This also seems to be suitable for our medium sized sittingroom, along with the rads I need to heat. So confused about which one to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for your replies I've checked them out on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damocr

Hi again,

Many thanks for all your advice, I'm trying to make my mind up about which inset stove to buy. Finding it so hard as there are so many on the market.

I went to see the Stratford EB 12 IHE on display in a store yesterday. Was a little concerned that it would require Anthracite. Which is more expensive. Has anyone any ideas about this?

We also saw the Mulberry and spoke to someone who had one installed. He was so pleased with his inset. However it takes almost 3 hours to get water and heating to full potential. Stratford claimed to do this is less time. But I guess its down to what you put in the inset stove.

We also looked again at the Esse 350gs. This also seems to be suitable for our medium sized sittingroom, along with the rads I need to heat. So confused about which one to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for your replies I've checked them out on the net.

The Stratford or the Esse are a good choice (they're both part of the one company as far as I'm aware). The Stratford will heat about 9/10 rads with 5kW to the room, where as the Esse 350gs will do about the same rads but with less heat to your room, around 3.6kw. But don't rule out the Henley Achill 17kw insert boiler. It's a really nice looking stove and it does about 12 radiators with 5.2kw to the room. As far as I know the price of it is around €1300 give or take a few euro. But just a bit of advice, try to use a mixture of wood and peat. Only use very small amounts of coal as it simply burns out the grate too quick. 2 wood logs should last a between 1-2 hours. Hope this helps you! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Hi again,

Hi - We have the Stratford EB12 HE but a standalone rather than insert. We burn a mix of turf / logs / smokeless coal in the stove but mostly the turf & coal. I was warned by people with different stove brands that we would need to use way more fuel to run a boiler stove and to be prepared for that. With the Stratford it is not true, we didn't use much than in our old stove which used to just heat the cylinder (charnwood Country 6)

You do not need to use a whole lot of fuel to get great heat in the rads.

Our stove is heating about 9 rads and the living room that it is in is always at least 25degrees when the stove is going.

Agree that the stratford gets the heat on pretty quickly, our pump kicks in once the cylinder reaches a certain temp so really it depends on how much hot water is in the cylinder from the previous day but I'd say on average the rads are hot in about 1.5hrs of putting on the fire.

As we are close enough to the Arigna mines in Roscommon, we have been buying bags of their "seconds" which are basically a mixed bag of ecobrite & cosyglo that they sell direct from the yard. Last time we bought, before carbon tax it was €12 for 40kg bag. Obviously this would not be an option for a lot of people but this is what we are using.

Have never used Anthracite and don't see that there would be a need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 paddy186

Hi All, Also looking for advice, Considering the Henley Achill 17kw insert in the below link, Looking at heating 9 rads (2 double). The room output is 5.2 but I only require 3.5 according to a calculator I used, Will this cause too much heat? Has anyone got one of these? They seem very reasonably priced but this has me sceptical regarding quality. Any advice would be great.

http://www.henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-17kw-boiler-insert

Hi again,

the esse does not have AIRWASH just to let you know

Hi Again,

We have a change of plan. We are now going to put in an outside burner and get rid of our Stanley oil fired range in our kitchen diner. We are then going to put in a free standing boiler stove where the range was. Our Kitchen Dining room is approx. 36 feet x 32 feet ( its a big open plan area.

We have been advised to put in a Henley Blasket to heat the rads - ( our house will be zoned so we would be running 4 doubles on one zone and 9 single rads on the other zone. We will also have the outside burner for back up.

We have also looked at The Charnwood which is very expensive its in the region of €1900 versus €1000. Does anyone have any recommendations on which boiler stove to choose. Thanks for all your help to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 purplerain1

I have my esse 350Gs in two years now & can say its great have had no problems with it .I burn seasoned logs & antracite.Im running approx 11 rads from it whilst rads are not hopping, there is a bearable constant heat in the house all day keeping it nice & cosy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Same here with the esse 350gs. two years in and it is heating 13 rads with one bucket of cosyglo and 5 peat briquettes for the early evening till around 1am and still glowing embers in the morning. highly recommend this insert type stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

Hi I am just wondering if anyone went with the Stratford EB16iHE after. This is the 16kw inset boiler model. 13.5kw to water and 5kw to room. We have 8 rads (5 double). currently have no thermostat on rads but will look into getting them too when installing. We have a mid sized sitting room to heat (13ft by 16ft) and have double doors out to kitchen which I would love to be able to leave open. will be heating the water from it too. fairly well insulated however currently have single glazed windows which I know will let us down abit. I have been reading loads about inset stoves and I like this one because of larger output to room than others I have looked into. I also came across a polish company called Kratki stoves that seem to do bigger outputs, I can't find much about them online however. I am not sure of the stoves themselves so would value any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I just have the Stratford eb16he-16 inset installed this week,just a bit confused,which coal is suitable for this stove as it has an aluminium back boiler,so won't be able to take as much heat,anyone no?

I just have the Stratford eb16he-16 inset installed this week,just a bit confused,which coal is suitable for this stove as it has an aluminium back boiler,so won't be able to take as much heat,anyone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

I am looking to get this stove if u see my post above yours, how are u finding it....I heard coal nuggets good for heat. Not sure bout aluminium boiler tho.
    eastmayo wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

arbf1 wrote: »
    I am looking to get this stove if u see my post above yours, how are u finding it....I heard coal nuggets good for heat. Not sure bout aluminium boiler tho.

Smokeless coal is best for stoves if you want a clear glass.
    I have never heard of an aluminium boiler, surely it is steel.

cranefly wrote: »
    Smokeless coal is best for stoves if you want a clear glass.
    I have never heard of an aluminium boiler, surely it is steel.

My mistake it is made of steel,a misunderstanding,thanks for the replys,going to try maxiheat coal

Advertisement