Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit to Sligo

Options
  • 16-06-2013 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We are staying in Castle Dargan for 3 nights, and wonder if anyone can suggest where to visit during this time? We would like to 'hit' the top of Ireland on one of the days ( Malin Head) But we are open to suggestions for the other 2 days. Also, anywhere nice to eat out in outside CD but within the vicinity?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

If you're going to Malin Head, make sure to get to Silver Strand beach in Malinbeg. Beautiful wee spot. Was just there myself last weekend rockclimbing and it's a lovely beach to relax on after :) Gorgeous part of the country up there. Stop in Killybegs for some fish and chips on the way home ;) Or indeed The Yeats Tavern in Drumcliff, fine selection on the menu and fairly priced. Though I would book ahead if stopping in on the weekend. They do lunches too which are fairly decent portions.

Check out Eagles Flying in Ballymote. They've a huge selection of birds of prey and do amazing displays. You can get right up, close and personal with the birds. You'll not get many chances with such a variety anywhere else in Ireland. They also have some livestock animals and a raccoon.

McHughs do great food during the day in Sligo town. A good feed for a good price. TIP: The Sligo Champion usually have vouchers in it with 2for1 meal offers ;) Desserts are fairly big so I usually end up just sharing one with my OH ;)

Loads of spots to do horse-riding. Markree Stables are excellant and have an amazing location beside Markree Castle to ramble through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Hi OP,

This thread might be worth a read.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83096478

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, Foxyvixen has given good tips there, but, Malinbeg is in West Donegal near Glencolumbkille and is a long way off your route to Malin Head.
    Most westerly vs most northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

*head in hands*

Now that was an embaressing mistake on my part, I saw the "Malin" part of the township and just got carried away without reading right :)

Yes indeed, malinbeg would be just a bit out of the way that day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Well, just home from a wonderful holiday in the NW of Ireland. I am 57yo and never really explored Donegal or Sligo, or Leitrim for that matter up to now. We spent a day up in Donegal, stopping off in Donegal Town, where we were flabbergasted at parking being a 'miserly' 30c/hr ( wee live in Newbridge., and the last time we were up in Naas it cost us €2/hour, - is it any wonder the TC of Naas is fu**ed?. Anyhow, we visited the castle there, and we were let in FREE. Off up to Dunfanaghey then for lunch ( never hit Malin Head as I never realised just how big Donegal is). Afterwards we went along the coast ( personally if anyone is up there, and has time on their side, they MUST do the Horn Head drive..STUNNING). We then headed for the harbour where the ferry to Tory island departs ( can't remember the name:o ). Spent a couple of hours there, and would have gone out to TI if there had been a ferry back that day...NEXT TIME!

Worked our way back down to Killybegs, and can honestly say anyone who hasn't visited this part of Ireland has no idea what they are missing. After dinner in Killybegs back to Ballygawley for a well earned rest. Next day we spent around Sligo Town, and out to Strandhill. BEAUTIFUL town, and so well kept ( spotlessly clean) and one would be desperate or blind to get lost in Sligo - well signposted. Same for Strandhill. We ended up in Carrowmore Tombs, and had a pleasant afternoon there. Back to Sligo for supper, and what a feast. Don't know if I can mention the pub/restaurant we were in, but it was magnificent. I believe it's been voted the best food in all of Sligo...can well believe why.

Next day down to Lough Key Park. Another day well spent, though my 57yo bones took a hammering in the Boda Borg rooms.:) Also went into Boyle, where the parking is......FREE!!!

I can honestly say Roscommon/Sligo/Leitrim/Donegal, You have everything to be proud of, and I will be singing Your praises every chance I can get. We WILL be back! And thanks to all who advised us on where to go...MUCH appreciated!

Apologies for the length of this rant, but I just can't sing highly enough of the NW of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I must apologise to the Mods of this section of Boards. I just realised that my 'rant' covers 4 counties, so have no idea just where to submit it.

As I started off in Sligo, I have submitted it there. However, if there is an appropriate section for this report, please feel free to do as required. We are just very grateful to get to enjoy Your beautiful counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Glad to hear that you had a great time in the North West.

Advertisement