Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video player with permanent on screen controls...ipad or android

Options
  • 16-06-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Video player with on screen controls
    Hi, I need a video player for ipad or android that will display the controls...play/back/next etc. constantly .....I can only find players that when the video starts the control icons disappear ,,,it for my special need son....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Windows Media Player only hides the controls (as far as I am aware) when in full screen mode. Maybe you could run it as maximised but not full screen? That or there is a setting in WMP options that allows you to autohide the controls or not as the case may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rain again

Hi many tks for your help, I have an android and an ipad only for my son. I have no access to a windows device

Kind rgs
    Brendan

Aha. Sorry, I completely missed where you said iPad/Android. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with anything.

For Android anyway, have a look at these ones and see what the controls are like. Some of them allow gestures to be used to control the playback, though not knowing your son, I don't know how feasible that may be for him to use.

http://tech2.in.com/features/apps/5-best-android-video-player-apps/646462

Many tis, I'm trying to teach my autistic son to use the controls, he has a bank of 100 disney clips on sd card that he has watched for the last 15 years, he has a severe learning disability so if I can teach him to use the controls himself, it would give him great independence.

Many tks for your help so far

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

This is possible using MX Player on android.

Hi.where is the setting in the mx player for this...rgs

Rain again wrote: »
    Hi.where is the setting in the mx player for this...rgs

Settings > Player > Screen > Untick Auto Hide Soft Buttons

Hi. Computer king,
    The settings you gave me does not show up on my mx player ...what I do have is..
    Top screen rhs touch the 3 dots,,then the options are there, tools, settings, then player, screen, but no option for the soft buttons in there.

Have I a newer version maybe ?

Rgs
    Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

When playing a video in MX, tap three dots then display then settings.

• Advertisement

Hi. Computer king,
    The settings you gave me does not show up on my mx player ...what I do have is..
    Top screen rhs touch the 3 dots,,then the options are there, tools, settings, then player, screen, but no option for the soft buttons in there.

Have I a newer version maybe ?

Rgs
    Brendan
    Go into player scroll down to where it says Interface and right under this you should see the word screen click on this then untick the option auto hide soft buttons.

Followed exactly but defo no option for the soft buttons there, what is there is ...screen,,touch controls,,nav,,doublr tap, etc..
    Sry for the hassle , and I thank you for your time in helping me so far,

Rgs
    Brendan

Apparently some menu options are missing on certain versions of Android. Do you know what version you are running?

Followed exactly but defo no option for the soft buttons there, what is there is ...screen,,touch controls,,nav,,doublr tap, etc..

Rgs
    Brendan

When you click into screen do you get the option to untick auto hide soft buttons it's second from the bottom in mine.

Rgs
    Brendan

When you click into screen do you get the option to untick auto hide soft buttons it's second from the bottom in mine.

The version is..mx player 1.7.15a armv7'...

On screen menu there is...brightness, elapsed time, rotation, display batt/clock in title bar,,show remaining time,,status bar, keep screen on.....that's it

I have the same version as you so there should not be a problem so you don't have the option of auto hiding soft buttons like in the image below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Pic attached

It's missing on mine, have ye any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

What version of Android are you running though?

Hi android, 4.0.3. Release5a

You shouldn't be missing menus then from what I have seen. Any issues I have read about were to do with older versions of Android. circa release 2.x.

Just installed it on my own phone to see if I could help in that way. I'm not seeing the option for what you need in the software either.

Hi thank you for the help from everybody so far, really appreciate it.....if anybody has any more solutions I would be very grateful ..
    Tks Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ipad better for video but android good too.

Hi I have both, but still can't find a player that will permanently display the controls,

Rgs
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Just checked a few players on Android, BSplayer has what you're looking for. After launching the app go to 'Prefences -> User interface -> Controls display timeout' and set it to 'Never hide'. That should give you what you want. Just make sure the orientation is locked in landscape or portrait 'Playback preferences -> Screen orientation', as the controls seem to disappear if you rotate from Portait to landscape.

Simi, downloaded the player and with your instruction it works perfect, I can't tank everybody enought for all the help, this will make a massive difference to my sons life...

Again many thanks to simi, and everybody that helped us out,

Kind regards
    Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's threads like this that make boards such a wonderful place :-)

Advertisement