Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

testing pedigree

• 16-06-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

is there any way of testing to see if a dog realy is a pedigree? i recently adopted a pug but hes a big pug at over 10kg and has a tiny bit of a snout instead of a very flat face.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't think that there is, DNA tests to find out what breeds are in a dog have not got a good reputation. When you say you adopted the dog, where did you get him from?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't think that there is, DNA tests to find out what breeds are in a dog have not got a good reputation. When you say you adopted the dog, where did you get him from?

i adopted from someone rehomeing their dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

PucaMama wrote: »
    i adopted from someone rehomeing their dog

Did you get the IKC papers from them with the dog? If so, why not contact the breeder, and go and see the parents? Still no guarantee, as nobody actually checks that the dogs named on papers are the sire and dam, but could give you a good idea of how reputable they are. Although, thinking about it, if they were reputable breeders they would have insisted on getting the dog back. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did you get the IKC papers from them with the dog? If so, why not contact the breeder, and go and see the parents? Still no guarantee, as nobody actually checks that the dogs named on papers are the sire and dam, but could give you a good idea of how reputable they are. Although, thinking about it, if they were reputable breeders they would have insisted on getting the dog back. :(

very true, ah i dont mind really :) just curious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

PucaMama wrote: »
    is there any way of testing to see if a dog realy is a pedigree? i recently adopted a pug but hes a big pug at over 10kg and has a tiny bit of a snout instead of a very flat face.

Giz' a pic!
    In fairness, I know a couple of really big Pugs, easily the same sort of weight your lad is. I'd imagine there's a degree of variability in snout length too, there is in dogs of every breed.

Advertisement