Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Island Cocktail Lounge any good?

Options
  • 16-06-2013 7:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'm looking for a new watering hole. I'm f*king done with the Crane Lane! I was in there on Friday and it was literally a cattle mart. Couldn't move an inch, nowhere to sit down, every second word in a conversation was "HA?" due to the noise. (Yes I may be getting old :pac:)

Anyway, what's Long Island like? Was thinking of popping in there for a drink some time next week.

Bit of a posh / wanky place? Would I be frowned upon if I ordered a pint of Beamish? Is it full of the Cork equivalent of D4 heads?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

They used to have lovely cocktails but the quality has gone down, the prices have gone up, and you could basically be describing it above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quality has dropped a fair bit over the years and it's far too expensive for a decent night out. Two very bland cocktails cost my girlfriend and I just under €20. I wouldn't mind if they were worth it, but they were really nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Still easily one of the best cocktail bars in the country, a lot of people just order the wrong drinks? talk to the bartender and you will usually get something suited for yourself?

I see on FB that they do 25% off till 8 or 9, I don't work there btw before someone plays that card as always

I know exactly what cocktails I like. Their Old-Fashioned isn't a patch on what it used to be; because they rush them now and you simply can't rush an Old-Fashioned. And the last time I got a Mai Tai I actually had to check it was a Mai Tai.

I stayed there for a couple of hours on my last visit, had 3 or 4 cocktails, as did my friends, and we all tasted each others. Only a couple stood out to any degree, unlike in the past when icky or boring drinks were in the minority; and the experience, like the previous time I visited, wasn't a patch on what it used to be. It was crowded, loud, and the staff weren't half as friendly as they used to be.

I won't be going back for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

Would I be hung drawn and quartered if I went in there and ordered a beer? There's no way I can afford cocktails all night!

• Advertisement

Nope, plenty of beer there and they've no problem serving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

They were charging 10e for a Long Island cocktail which was bad enough. Last time I went they were charging 10.50. Haven't been back since on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Cork has a lot of great pubs. What are you looking for in a bar? On a school night I like the mutton lane inn but its too busy on a saturday. The vicarstown has become very popular but im not gone on it. I quite like the raven as you can sit outside and the back area tends to be fairly relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Still easily one of the best cocktail bars in the country, a lot of people just order the wrong drinks? talk to the bartender and you will usually get something suited for yourself?

I see on FB that they do 25% off till 8 or 9, I don't work there btw before someone plays that card as always

Dublin has a lot more which are a lot better....

As for the people complaining about price, that's standard for real cocktails. Usually you're getting about 2(sometimes 3) drinks in one depending on what you order. Some also include fresh fruit as ingredients. They all add up. you pay about 4-5 euro for just vodka in most cork places.
    I've had the 3-5 euro cocktail specials in Suas and other places and they are basically vodka with a lot of juice.
    It sucks they cost so much, i agree, but that's just the way it is:(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

not many places in Cork City, LI is not too bad

• Advertisement
Advertisement