Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The financial power of the Premier League

• 16-06-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Thoughts on this.. Getting ridiculous?

With the new TV deal clubs like West Ham and Southampton will be bringing in more money than most major clubs on the continent soon. I don't think Financial Fair Play is the answer either as their primary source of income comes from TV money (which isn't restricted). The way things are going, the Premier League wilol be able to buy up the cream of football's talent if they wished and could outmuscle any club from the continent in the transfer market apart from about 2 each in Spain, France, Germany and Russia.

UEFA need to get back to the drawing board to think of a way to even the playing field. The homegrown player rules are a start... although it encourages major clubs to stockpile the world's best youths, many will fall by the wayside.

Comments

Thoughts on this.. Getting ridiculous?

With the new TV deal clubs like West Ham and Southampton will be bringing in more money than most major clubs on the continent soon. I don't think Financial Fair Play is the answer either as their primary source of income comes from TV money (which isn't restricted). The way things are going, the Premier League wilol be able to buy up the cream of football's talent if they wished and could outmuscle any club from the continent in the transfer market apart from about 2 each in Spain, France, Germany and Russia.

UEFA need to get back to the drawing board to think of a way to even the playing field. The homegrown player rules are a start... although it encourages major clubs to stockpile the world's best youths, many will fall by the wayside.

Have you considered what clubs are spending on wages?

Not too many PL teams making profit. In fact many are in severe debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

UEFA shouldn't be trying to even the playing field.

If the Premier League is an attractive league to viewers around the World then its right that its TV rights should fetch a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Have you considered what clubs are spending on wages?

Not too many PL teams making profit. In fact many are in severe debt.

Most clubs spending around 70% of turnover on wages these days. It's going in one pocket and out the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

UEFA and FIFA have no interest in levelling the playing field,it's down to the FA to try and put some sort of control on the PL in order to salvage the game in England as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Beefy78 wrote: »

If the Premier League is an attractive league to viewers around the World then its right that its TV rights should fetch a lot.

Sky (a domestic company) paying 3 billion for rights is where the main unevening of the playing field occurs tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky (a domestic company) paying 3 billion for rights is where the main unevening of the playing field occurs tbh.

and Sky pay that 3 billion because............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

La Liga is in a lot of trouble looking at the amount of talent that has and will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The homegrown player rules are a start...

illegal under EU rules I believe which is why I believe UEFA got rid of them (or were forced to).

I don't believe the English premier League is going anywhere. In fact they are lucky that the Italian league is in such disarray at the moment otherwise they would be in danger of losing a CL place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How the English bubble hasn't exploded is beyond me. Maybe it will some day.

I would love to see something like the 3 foreigner rule come in again, for me that was a good era in European football, and if every team had a certain number of top players it would level the playing field.

OK so I know its against labour laws etc, but for the good of the game it would be a welcome addition. Maybe even 5 foreigners per team, that would help dramatically.

Despite what all the big teams and their FAs might believe, turning all Europe's top leagues into 2 horse races is a recipe for disaster for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There is no intention to level any playing fields. FFP's intention was to stop the headlong race into ever higher and higher transfer fees and wages to stop clubs going bankrupt in the attempt to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At least the money is spread more evenly in the Premier League. In Italy and Spain, the top clubs take the vast majority of the cash entrenching their position at the top further.

comparisony.jpg.opt330x460o0,0s330x460.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

At least the money is spread more evenly in the Premier League. In Italy and Spain, the top clubs take the vast majority of the cash entrenching their position at the top further.

comparisony.jpg.opt330x460o0,0s330x460.jpg

Is it not the case that in Italy and Spain teams can do there own tv contract where as in England it is a league contract

greendom wrote: »
    There is no intention to level any playing fields. FFP's intention was to stop the headlong race into ever higher and higher transfer fees and wages to stop clubs going bankrupt in the attempt to keep up.

Nonsense. FPP is about maintaining the status quo and protecting the elite cartel of clubs who dominate European football by making it impossible for anyone to ever challenge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nonsense. FPP is about maintaining the status quo and protecting the elite cartel of clubs who dominate European football by making it impossible for anyone to ever challenge them.

I'm not sure I understand - levelling playing fields and maintaining the status quo are hardly the same thing are they ?

I never said that they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The fact that west ham can pay 100k to Carroll and 15-19m to Liverpool shows how flush the premier league is with cash with the new tv deal.

Advertisement