Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was on in Sallins today?

Options
  • 16-06-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I was in Sallins about 2pm and there where Gardai on the approach roads and in the village. There was a crowd of people near the petrol station too anyone know what was on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I was in Sallins about 2pm and there where Gardai on the approach roads and in the village. There was a crowd of people near the petrol station too anyone know what was on?

One of the incarnations of Sinn Fein marching to Wolfe Tone's grave in Bodenstown - possibly Republican Sinn Fein.

For 3 sundays in June - there is a march. Next Sunday is probably the biggest, Provisional Sinn Fein. Fianna Fail also have a march in Feb I think.

For Provisional Sinn Fein in particular it means that if you live in Sallins you have to decide if you want to drive before 1pm - for all the Sinn Fein marches, the road is closed for the march out to the graveyard, reponed for approx 1 hour during the speeches at Bodenstown and closed again for the return march.

For 2 years I forgot about the march, had to leave the car on the main road and walk with a baby for 15 mins in the rain otherwise it was a 1 hour wait in the car.

The Provos usually put up notices a week before the march so it gives ereryone some notice but none of the groups engage with local community to make arrangements for residents to enter / exit their estates. The Gardai simply block all traffic in order to get these unlicensed parades fininshed as soon as possible.

A few years ago the gardai wouldnt give persmssion for a kids fancy dress parade from the petrol station to the primary school - 10 minutes max - until they were reminded about the unlicensed parades to Bodenstown that force the closure of roads to all. Closure for the largest march by the provos is probably 2-3 hours in total.

If you want to attend the marches or avoid traffic - just remember to go to or avoid Sallins for the Sundays around Father's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

This was a giant pain in the ass yesterday. Hungry kids in the car, all approach roads backed up. I headed towards Naas once I got to the Millenium roundabout, and headed back up the canal, which got me home slightly more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

sadie06 wrote: »
    This was a giant pain in the ass yesterday. Hungry kids in the car, all approach roads backed up. I headed towards Naas once I got to the Millenium roundabout, and headed back up the canal, which got me home slightly more quickly.

Have to agree, it's a pain. We got stuck as well.

Advertisement