Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st bike... maybe!

• 16-06-2013 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Considering buying a bike to reduce fuel costs on main vehicle. Doesn't need to be fancy, doesn't need big engine.

Would like an offroad/scrambler type (I think) as I'd be checking sheep with it mostly.

Don't know Jack S about bikes so edumacate me on my options please :) I've a vague notion a 125 may suit but what do I know :D

Would certainly need to be road legal, with some off road capability (fields, hills, old turf roads and such).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

A small bike will be handy on fuel but it'll take a long time to offset the initial cost of getting into biking.

Licence (including initial basic training), insurance, tax, gear. Not to mention the purchase price of the bike. It adds up fast.

Thats not even counting when you get bit by the biking bug (you will). Then you have to upgrade.. bigger, faster, shinier!!

If its just for knocking about fields would you not go for a quad that you can use on your 'w' licence?

Theres a lot of reasons to get onto bikes. These days I don't think saving money is one of them. Not advising against it, just think it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Fair comment.

Would love to get a quad, but I need to go on the road, and I can't get one made road legal so..........

I'll do some more digging into the costs, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fair comment.

Would love to get a quad, but I need to go on the road, and I can't get one made road legal so..........
    You can't? Didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Something like an XR 125 would be a great bike for that kind of thing.
    For farming purposes a rack would be a necessity.
    You can get specific agri bikes in other countries,usually 125cc or 200cc with big racks built in and dual sidestands.
    DF200 is one that would have been perfect for you, GalwayTT here sold one a while back.
    The advantage of a bike is that they are very nimble compared to quads.

Advertisement