Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

If thats his style then he needs to look into changing it, he is being made look like a fool

He managed to do a complete 360 in the space of a week on the matter.

Great fodder for the journos to feed off going forward no doubt
    Firstly, we don't know the ins and outs of the deal with Napoli.
    We don't know if there were any permanent offers for Reina.
    In theory, we should get a loan fee for him this year and then a good fee for him next summer, similar to what happened to Carroll.

Secondly, that's just Rodgers' style. He doesn't give one word answers. It's not as if this is Reina being forced out of the club, I'm pretty sure this is a deal both parties want to do. But there's always a chance it won't happen, so "competition," talk of Reina's qualities etc etc are simply sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Morzadec wrote: »
    I would say that, to me at least, it seems strange that Arsenal would baulk at £30m for Higuian, and then be willing to go so high for Suarez.

I mean Suarez is probably better, much more to his all round game, but Higuian is class and a better finisher and less 'baggage' as has been said. Seemingly their fans would have preferred that signing too.

I'm not sure if Suarez is worth £20m+ more than Higuain looking at it neutrally

Absolutely. All they needed to do was go an additional €7 million and they would have had a deal. Initially I thought the Suarez interest was a ploy to get Higuain. Perhaps having lost out and not wanting to look like amateurs they are trying to make their interest in Suarez genuine. I'm not having it.

If thats his style then he needs to look into changing it, he is being made look like a fool

The only people being made look like a fool are those who genuinely believed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ian Ayre will be glad the Wednesday Whinge is about all about Rodgers rather than him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Pedalstool wrote: »
    The only people being made look like a fool are those who genuinely believed it.

Ouch!

what purpose did it serve to claim Pepe would welcome the competition?

what was the ultimate benefit to the club?

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he actually believed what he was saying. He may need every penny he can get now however, such seems the be the scrimping and saving the club has embarked upon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ush wrote: »
    Since when were football clubs expected to be honest?

I know the preciousness of some in here is hilarious. The same heads who were tearing Rodgers a new one for making it clear Carroll was surplus to requirements and leaving us open to being lowballed(we got 17 mill, still can't quite believe it tbh). Who blasted him for letting Carroll go without a replacement bought, are now ripping him a new one for protecting the value of an asset by fudging the Facts a little until a deal could be agreed for him and for being proactive in getting in his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Absolutely. All they needed to do was go an additional €7 million and they would have had a deal. Initially I thought the Suarez interest was a ploy to get Higuain. Perhaps having lost out and not wanting to look like amateurs they are trying to make their interest in Suarez genuine. I'm not having it.

I'm not sure - I think that could be reading too much into it.

I imagine they genuinely thought that their £40m +£1 bid was enough to trigger something significant and that they would have signed Suarez at that price. That appears not to be the case, though we'll have to watch this space as this area seems to be unclear.

I just would be shocked if they went as high as £50m or north. But then again I was surprised they went as high as £40m so who knows.

If someone had predicted Suarez to Arsenal at the start of the window they would have been laughed out of it. It's a very strange saga.

Bale rumours have gone a bit cold by the way, nothing on Marca's front page today.

It's certainly not unthinkable that Suarez is their backup option if they can't land Bale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I know the preciousness of some in here is hilarious. The same heads who were tearing Rodgers a new one for making it clear Carroll was surplus to requirements and leaving us open to being lowballed(we got 17 mill, still can't quite believe it tbh) then letting him go without a replacement, are now ripping him a new one for protecting the value of an asset by fudging the Facts a little until a deal could be agreed for him and for being proactive in getting in his replacement.
    Surely you cant be insinuating that some on here (gasp!!) have an agenda:confused:

• Advertisement

what purpose did it serve to claim Pepe would welcome the competition?

what was the ultimate benefit to the club?

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he actually believed what he was saying. He may need every penny he can get now however, such seems the be the scrimping and saving the club has embarked upon

In case any move fell through and you had a scenario where Reina had no option but to stay. Its about saving face in such a scenario. Without wanting to be rude about it but this isn't rocket science.

This type of spin goes on at every club. I think certain posters in here don't want Rodgers and are using any little thing to snipe at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Yea, that would be a 180, not a 360

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

its a wise move obviously to stress a player isn't for sale granted, claiming he was welcoming the competition of Mignolet was admirable when he was trying to engineer the best offer.

When the best offer is subsequently a loan move to Napoli then it does make you look rather stupid in fairness. Mind games or not, he has gone from being an important member of the squad to being worthy of a loan move.

Lets not assume this was all part of a grand plan either. Things may be changing on the fly right now, for all we know the plan was to bring in Mignolet to genuinely challenge Pepe. Even statements made by Mignolet indicate he was up for the fight for the number 1 shirt.

We can have no idea whats happening behind the scenes but its not beyond reason that a little number crunching was done and Rodgers actually needs to free up more wages than he expected if hes to bring in more faces. The goalposts may have moved since he made the original statement.

In case any move fell through and you had a scenario where Reina had no option but to stay. Its about saving face in such a scenario. Without wanting to be rude about it but this isn't rocket science.

This type of spin goes on at every club. I think certain posters in here don't want Rodgers and are using any little thing to snipe at him.

i've been one of the posters who has consistently back the manager

this season will see him come under alot more scrutiny though i think. His decisions will be picked apart and debated inside out.

Rightfully so too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Wait, we're back to Reina again? :D

Jayob10 wrote: »
    its a wise move obviously to stress a player isn't for sale granted, claiming he was welcoming the competition of Mignolet was admirable when he was trying to engineer the best offer.

When the best offer is subsequently a loan move to Napoli then it does make you look rather stupid in fairness. Mind games or not, he has gone from being an important member of the squad to being worthy of a loan move.

Lets not assume this was all part of a grand plan either. Things may be changing on the fly right now, for all we know the plan was to bring in Mignolet to genuinely challenge Pepe. Even statements made by Mignolet indicate he was up for the fight for the number 1 shirt.

We can have no idea whats happening behind the scenes but its not beyond reason that a little number crunching was done and Rodgers actually needs to free up more wages than he expected if hes to bring in more faces. The goalposts may have moved since he made the original statement.

From what I have read, from various journalists, I would describe the scenario as such.

Reina had told the club he wanted to replace Valdes who was planning on leaving Barca this summer. The club were ok with this and targeted Mignolet to replace him. They set about securing Mignolet expecting Reina to leave. They may well have planned on replacing Reina anyway with Mignolet, due to his high salary and poor form.

When Valdes changed his mind about leaving this left Liverpool in a position where they were commited to Mignolet but now Reina was left in limbo, for a year, while Valdes ran down his contract. I think Reina has an agreement to join Barca next year and is unwilling to join another club permanently in the mean time. Hence we have the situation we find ourselves with now.

I could be wrong but I think I might be pretty close to the truth.

• Advertisement

Wait, we're back to Reina again? :D

Appropriately capitalised sentence.

Excellent work sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The "loyalty" bonus, or the possibility of a Real bid. If he did officially submit one, would this change the thing in favour of Arsenal?

It'd potentially increase the value of the £40m to Liverpool by 10-15%, since that cut wouldn't go to Suarez and his advisors as a loyalty payment, essentially making the £40m bid without a transfer request into £44-46m with it. Or rather the value of the £40m would be £36m without, but actually £40m with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

I'd love to bend most of ye over and while I'm going at it tell ye that all this nonsense and drama will matter little once the new season comes round and the window closes. These so-called theoried opinions some people have are absolutely ridiculous because not one person here can say that they're 100% sure that this will happen or that will happen. Will anyone admit that and let me have my way with you? Let some opinions die with acceptance or let them live long enough to become deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

audman wrote: »
    I'd love to bend most of ye over and while I'm going at it

tumblr_mgeaojD2Am1r8xh2qo1_500.gif

Liverpool v Birmingham U-18 Highlights

• Advertisement

I'd love to bend most of ye over and while I'm going at it tell ye that all this nonsense and drama will matter little once the new season comes round and the window closes. These so-called theoried opinions some people have are absolutely ridiculous because not one person here can say that they're 100% sure that this will happen or that will happen. Will anyone admit that and let me have my way with you? Let some opinions die with acceptance or let them live long enough to become deluded.

Bend over so you can have your way with us is it?

Grayditch wrote: »
    tumblr_mgeaojD2Am1r8xh2qo1_500.gif

Don't be shy/afraid/nervous, etc.. you read that right, you'd be my first.

My 'Grayditch bitch'.

Someone just wandered across the line between quirky and weird.

Not good weird either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Right so hypothetically if we do sell Suarez for that amount or around 50M+

Question is, who dafuq do we buy..... all our summer targets seem to be going elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I think Rodgers has done an ok job so far but if Suarez goes to Arsenal I'd be pretty worried about the direction we are headed.

Yeah Rodgers is just an employee of the club but if he doesn't have the power to veto the sale of our star player to one our nearest rivals, we are well and truly fcuked imo.

I thought I was was the weird one...

Vicxas wrote: »

Question is, who dafuq do we buy..... all our summer targets seem to be going elsewhere.

That's why I think he will be here to January, either that or we go with what we have up front and spend big elsewhere, but I not sure that will work.

I am pie wrote: »
    Bend over so you can have your way with us is it?

Now your catching on. Your username, well it's a given really isn't it? You'd be my warm apple pie. That's two of ye, accept it lads, it's easier.

Now your catching on. You're username, well it's a given really isn't it? You'd be my warm apple pie. That's two of ye, accept it lads, it's easier.

Jog on.

AH is just over there >

I'd buy Jese from Real Madrid to play CAM, Shaqiri from Bayern to play RW, and Zouma for RCB.

• Advertisement

Rafa. Net Spend. Marquee signing. Would you take Torres back?. Define 'world class'.

Anything. Quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm more uncomfortable than I thought this thread could make me, and I had set that bar pretty high.

I'd buy Jese from Real Madrid to play CAM, Shaqiri from Bayern to play RW, and Zouma for RCB.

Jesé just signed a 4 yr contract extension. He isn't going anywhere.

Jesé just signed a 4 yr contract extension. He isn't going anywhere.

He is the Player Swap + Cash we're getting from Madrid. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did people really expect Rodgers, after buying Mignolet, to come out and say that Reina is leaving?

Come on. People here take what managers say to the press far too serious.

Remember Fergie saying that he wouldn't sell Madrid a virus when they were courting Ronaldo?

Brendan Rodgers has urged Luis Suárez to repay the loyalty that Liverpool demonstrated throughout his racism and biting controversies as they prepare for a protracted dispute, potentially a legal one, with Arsenal over the striker's contract.

Suárez and his agent, Pere Guardiola, believe talks should commence on a prospective move to Arsenal now that Liverpool have received an offer of more than £40m – albeit by one pound – for the Uruguay international. Liverpool maintain that a clause in the contract Suárez signed last August obliges them only to consider a bid in excess of £40m and inform the player of developments. The striker is valued at more than £55m by the Anfield club and Real Madrid, set to bank £34.5m from the sale of Gonzalo Higuaín to Napoli, may yet formalise their interest in Liverpool's prized asset.

John W Henry, Liverpool's principal owner, underlined his club's view that Arsenal did not trigger a release clause in Suárez's contract with Tuesday's offer of £40,000,001 when he mocked the bid on Twitter. "What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?" he posted.

Mockery aside, Liverpool are angered it took Arsenal two weeks to improve their initial offer of £30m plus £5m in add-ons, and only then to a sum that the chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, had been told would be instantly rejected. For their part Arsenal, evidently encouraged to believe that £40,000,001 would prompt negotiations with Suárez, hope the 26-year-old will agitate for an exit from Anfield in the coming days. A Premier League or legal hearing could ultimately be required to resolve the stand-off should it continue.

Daniel Geey, a football lawyer at Field Fisher Waterhouse, said: "Premier League regulatory commissions have previously been tasked to look at such cases, as Liverpool know from the Christian Ziege ruling in 2002. The difficulty in the Luis Suárez case is that, even if it went as far as a regulatory commission or to court, and the judge made it clear what the clause says, that is not going to happen before this transfer window closes and perhaps not even before the January transfer window closes.

"Presumably Arsenal are not supposed to know about any confidential clauses in Suárez's contract. That was the problem for Liverpool in the Ziege case when they were fined for making an illegal approach after they were informed of a £5.5m release clause in Ziege's [Middlesbrough] contract. The commercial reality is that Luis Suárez may have to force Liverpool's hand or Arsenal will raise their offer. Liverpool are not going to force the issue in relation to a provision which they believe does not allow Suárez to speak to prospective suitors."

Rodgers was due to hold further talks with Suárez, and inform him of Arsenal's rejected second approach, after Liverpool's pre-season friendly over Melbourne Victory on Wednesday. The striker received a rousing reception from a remarkable crowd of 95,446 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, where he appeared as a 72nd-minute substitute and created a late goal for Iago Aspas in Liverpool's 2-0 win.

It was Suárez's first club appearance since receiving a 10-match ban for biting the Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in April. Rodgers believes the support the striker received from Liverpool then, and throughout the Patrice Evra racism controversy that resulted in an eight-match suspension, should be reciprocated by a player who wants to join a club in the Champions League.

The Liverpool manager refused to be drawn on Arsenal's strategic bid in his post-match press conference in Melbourne but said: "The only talks there have been are between Luis and myself. There's no doubt the market nowadays is very small so Luis will always be linked with top clubs but I think the support he's received from the supporters and the people of the city of Liverpool has been unrivalled.

"In the period of time he's missed a lot of games for various reasons and the people have stood by him like a son and really looked after him. So I'm sure that, whatever happens in the coming weeks, that will be on his mind because it's certainly something you can never forget."

From the Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/24/liverpool-luis-suarez-arsenal

Jog on.

AH is just over there >

Great directions, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did people really expect Rodgers, after buying Mignolet, to come out and say that Reina is leaving?

Remember Fergie saying that he wouldn't sell Madrid a virus when they were courting Ronaldo?

That's fine and all, but you were usually left with the sense afterwards that Ferguson had 'won' somehow. Rodgers said some **** and doesn't seem to have gained anything other than the worst outcome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Right, I have to leave this thread alone until Madrid come back with a 50m+ deal and Suarez is on his way to Spain to have a medical.

The sooner the above happens the better. The club need to move on from this rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

murpho999 wrote: »

The issue isn't what was said, the issue is who said it

We could win the league next season and there'd be people complaining that Rodgers didn't touch the "this is anfield" sign as he left the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Suarez just signed a new contract extension. He isn't going anywhere.

fixed...wait a minute.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm more uncomfortable than I thought this thread could make me, and I had set that bar pretty high.

Well u go now and lower that bar as well as your britches and you'll be my third.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's fine and all, but you were usually left with the sense afterwards that Ferguson had 'won' somehow. Rodgers said some **** and doesn't seem to have gained anything other than the worst outcome!!

I thinks its very obvious you have serious issues with Rodgers being manager, which your perfectly entitled to have. Who would be your first choice to replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I thinks its very obvious you have serious issues with Rodgers being manager, which your perfectly entitled to have. Who would have been your first choice to replace him?

I'm not posting a list again. The last post was perfectly valid in of itself, cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

We should go for lewandowski, his move to Bayern is off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I think the Reina situation has been played well. He is leaving without being driven out and it's made to look like his choice.

Also when Suarez does go, I don't see how Rogers can be blamed as he's not entirely his fault, especially if there is a buy out clause.

Just feel that some posters want to bash Rodgers at every opportunity.

I'm not posting a list again. The last post was perfectly valid in of itself, cheers.

The last post was a load of old guff in my opinion. Interesting that you have a list of managers.

We should go for lewandowski, his move to Bayern is off

It's not.

Klopp announced that Lewandowski will be a Bayern Player next Season.
    Klopp: Lewandowski will play for Bayern next season

The coach admits the striker is likely to leave next summer and revealed Mario Gotze's transfer was more upsetting in the last campaign than the Champions League final

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp believes Robert Lewandowski will definitely join rivals Bayern Munich next season.

The Schwarzgelben have denied the Poland international, whose contract runs out in 2014, a move away from Signal Iduna Park this summer, with the Bavarians having led the chase to sign the striker.

Klopp has accepted that it will be impossible to keep the 24-year-old from Bayern's clutches beyond the current season but is keen to make the relationship between forward and club work in the coming 12 months.

"I think it is a known fact that Robert is going to play for Bayern after the upcoming season," he told Welt am Sonntag. "Now the only question is how to shape the time until then.

"That is our concern and it is our commitment to our fans and members to ensure that we will have a more competitive team in the upcoming season.

"Up to a certain point we were with Robert's desire for change and were ready to talk. But nothing happened so we had to eventually say: '[A sale] now no longer works for us.'

"And now we want to prove that, with a quality player like Robert, we can be successful in the coming year. Our results in the coming season is what we're all about. I know that Robert and I see it the same way."

The BVB coach also revealed that Mario Gotze's €37 million move to the Allianz Arena, which was agreed in April, was more upsetting than the club's eventual Champions League defeat to Bayern in the final.

"That was the bigger disappointment in the moment [than the Wembley loss]," Klopp added. "Mario was, until mid-April, a key part of our planning. And suddenly we were confronted with the reality that he wasn't.

"That was pretty tough. Basically, it is normal if a football club want to sign a player from another team. We do, too. But it was the timing of the notification of the transfer, the day before our important semi-final against Real Madrid, which was something disreputable. But, otherwise, there was little in the last season that was painful."

Despite Bayern's tendency to outspend Dortmund, Klopp is happy with how his side operate and favourably compared his side to English folk legend Robin Hood against the reigning German, DFB-Pokal and European champions.

"It will be infinitely hard [to win the Bundesliga this season]," he continued. "Bayern were quite possibly the best team in the world last season.

"But they did not beat us yet in the league on both occasions. And maybe we can also use the fact that we have not won anything in the last season, pulling against a certain power and greed.

"We have a bow and arrow. And if we aim accurately, we can hit them. Only the Bavarians have - I feel - a bazooka. The probability that they will hit us is so much larger. Nevertheless, Robin Hood is said to be very successful!"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/07/07/4100678/klopp-lewandowski-will-play-for-bayern-next-season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If there's a release clause, all Rodgers can do is try and talk Suarez out of it.

If Suarez moves to Arsenal in a move sanctioned over Rodgers' head, he must go out and say it. It's what Rafa would have done and what Kenny would have done. A chance to prove he isn't a yes man.

If he moves to Arsenal at all (In my book he shouldn't be sold too them under any circumstance) and Rodgers was comlicit in the move, serious questions would have to be asked of him. I don't think he would be dumb enough to do that but changes in opinions are all based on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suarez won't go to Arsenal
    if he leaves he will go to Real

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement