Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Vicxas wrote: »
    Right so hypothetically if we do sell Suarez for that amount or around 50M+

Question is, who dafuq do we buy..... all our summer targets seem to be going elsewhere.

yup and any targets will be got for a much higher price :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

MD1990 wrote: »
    we didn't let Carragher go he retired
    Mignolet is a better keeper than Reina

Better keeper like Borini was a better player than Kuyt?

Like Assaidi was a better option than Maxi or Bellamy?

Like Hodgson was a better manager than Rafa?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So many people in here seem to be so easily distracted by a bright shiney new object that they keep failing to see the wood from the trees. Change for change sake is being viewed as positive before in any way shape of form proven to be so.

If Mignolet goes 50% of the way to being the keeper for us that Reina was he'll be doing well. At the moment it's another punt (although not to the same degree as others). Mignolet has never played for a club like Liverpool before. Anythinv could happen. While Reina is gone to a free spending Champions League, league title competing side with a move to Barca apparently lined up for next year. It appears no one was knocking down Sunderlands door to get Mignolet. Let alone clubs of that calibre.

Fair point re: Carragher, you get my point though.

(Rarnes spelt it out for you in case you're struggling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr Alan wrote: »

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So many people in here seem to be so easily distracted by a bright shiney new object that they keep failing to see the wood from the trees. Change for change sake is being viewed as positive before in any way shape of form proven to be so.

If Mignolet goes 50% of the way to being the keeper for us that Reina was he'll be doing well. At the moment it's another punt (although not to the same degree as others). Mignolet has never played for a club like Liverpool before. Anythinv could happen. While Reina is gone to a free spending Champions League, league title competing side with a move to Barca apparently lined up for next year. It appears no one was knocking down Sunderlands door to get Mignolet. Let alone clubs of that calibre.

when did i say Assaidi better than Bellamy etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Times saying Real will now step up pursuit of Gareth Bale with a formal bid expected before Sunday. That's our money for Suarez as they won't be buying both and if Spurs get 60 odd million for him then the money we get for Suarez will be doubly hard to spend with us both chasing the same targets.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not sure what to make of Suarez tbh. He said he wanted out because the English media were giving him an unfair ride
    Now he is contemplating a move to London :cool:

Is he? To my knowledge, he hasn't hinted at all that he'd like to join Arsenal.
    It's exactly what we need. It's all Arsenal and the fact that they can now talk - but it doesn;t mean he wants to.

Arsenal, spurs and Madrid all in a bidding war.

We need to get our head around him being gone. Now it's all about the ££££ and getting it done as fast as possible.

If this were to happen, would Suarez be able to choose a set club that had not made the highest bid?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Etc. Etc. Etc.

It doesn't matter how good a keeper Reina was. He has been an average premier league goalkeeper for the last 2 years at least.

You say nobody was knocking down Sunderland's door looking for Mignolet - I wonder how many substantial bids we knocked back for Pepe?

As for your other points -
    Kuyt had a release clause inserted in his contract and chose to leave
    Maxi wanted to leave and go back to Argentina
    Bellamy wanted to leave and go back to his hometown club.

In any case, all were overpaid relative to what they were offering us, let alone what they could have offered us in the future.

Assaidi has been a bit of a disaster, agreed. Borini hasn't set the world on fire, but he's still young.
    But what of Coutinho/Sturridge? Would you take any of Kuyt, Bellamy or Maxi back in place of one of those two?

Change for change's sake is pointless. But sometimes change is completely necessary (Reina, imo) and sometimes it's enforced upon you (Carra, Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Barring injuries, your sub keeper never plays. Keeping someone that expensive on the bench is simply a waste of resources.

wayyyyy to jinx it bra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sad to see reina go served the club very well on and off the pitch and has a hot wife.
    Hopefully will see him next week at stevies testimonial for the last time in a Liverpool shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Thats some shoehorning of Rafa into the conversation :D
    But fair point, losing Carra to retirement means losing Reina is a bigger loss for the personality he is, but maybe not the player he is.
    Hopefully Kolo's experience, and having Lucas fit for a season can add some leadership qualities to the team.

Or else play Jay Spearing and get him to point out instructions to everybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Anythinv could happen.

So do nothing. Thats what you're basically saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bellamy was told to leave first time round by rafa
    And 2nd time round he wanted back to Cardiff as is marriage was falling apart so he could see his kids more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Would you blame Kenny Dalglish for Torres going to Chelsea, or Alex Ferguson for Christiano Ronaldo for going to Madrid? The fact is it's usually out of the managers hands when a player is determined to leave.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Wake up to reality Alan, Rodgers is an employee of the club.

If the money comes in then it'll be the execs who will call it.

Was it Dalglish's fault that Torres left?

Well, I thought it was made clear previously that Torres didn't get on with Kenny.
    Its a risk letting Carragher & Reina go in the one window. Arguably the 2 biggest characters at the club & two of the few players with the proven mentality to be at the top table in football.

Characters me arse, it's not a sketch show. Carragher talked rubbish for the most part and was very self serving.

Pepe likes dancing around planes celebrating, fair play to him but I don't think it really aided the team, we were still ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

klose wrote: »
    Rory smith of the times saying weve looked at luis muriel

Which is one of probably a long list but interesting nonetheless

Google shows he was linked in late May, passed me by at the time I have to say.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/403986/Liverpool-eye-up-Udinese-striker-Luis-Muriel-as-Luis-Suarez-replacement

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/luis-muriel-liverpools-next-30-goal-a-season-striker/
    Antonio Di Natale knows a thing or three about scoring goals so when the Udinese captain stated recently that his team-mate Luis Muriel was set to become a “world-class player” within the next couple of years everyone should take notice.

This time last year the 22-year-old Muriel was manly leading the attack for doomed Lecce who but his stand-out performances encouraged Udinese to end any speculation that he would be loaned out again, having also spent a short spell at Udinese’s Spanish Watford, Granada – and 12 months later he has been one of the key figures as the Zebrette made a late charge to land a Europa League spot behind Fiorentina in fifth place.

Sharing the young Serie A player of the year award with Stephan El Shaarawy last season, as with the AC Milan striker the young Colombian has gone from strength to strength throughout this campaign.

Built like Emile Heskey but with the skills and natural talent that would do Cristiano Ronaldo proud, he has drawn comparisons with the original Ronaldo when he first arrived at Inter with his unerring ability to hit the target on the run

Ivanhoe plus the Winker = win for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Hello apples, meet some oranges. Comparing kuyt to borini is stupid, borini isnt a regular starter were kuyt was. Is coutinho better than kuyt? Yes, I think he is. Kuyt was a limited player who bust a nut for us. Similarly so comparing assaidi who we picked up for nothing to maxi and bellamy is really really silly given their comparative playing time. I guess you wont compare assaidi to nunez or that mark whoever from chile, because they are the same bit part, first season of a new manager purchases.

You really are reaching a new revisionist low. Your agenda is dragging you under.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

At least this thread will be out of it's misery by tomorrow. If things go on as they are the next one could be full in near record time.

Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whatever about how he's performed in recent times, losing Pepe is a sad day for the club.

He's been a tremendous servant. Golden gloves a bunch of times and FA cup and League cup winners medals that he bloody well earned in the penalty shootouts.

It's really sad to see him leave.

Few of the newspapers (Telegraph/Indepedant) tomorrow claiming Suarez/agent doesn't understand how or why we've rejected Arsenal offer out of hand. They claim that it was agreed the release clause allowed him to join another club if we failed to reach the CL this season once a bid of £40m was received.

Opr

Glentoran hosted a Liverpool XI this evening - basically a U18/U21 mixed bag. Peterson scored 1-0 the FT.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=204689.0;attach=245192;image

opr wrote: »
    Few of the newspapers (Telegraph/Indepedant) tomorrow claiming Suarez/agent doesn't understand how or why we've rejected Arsenal offer out of hand. They claim that it was agreed the release clause allowed him to join another club if we failed to reach the CL this season once a bid of £40m was received.

Opr

Pfffffft! Love to see that written down I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

mike65 wrote: »
    Glentoran hosted a Liverpool XI this evening - basically a U18/U21 mixed bag. Peterson scored 1-0 the FT.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=204689.0;attach=245192;image

Any of these lads likely to break through anytime soon? Nacho is a name I haven't heard in a while, how's he doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Opr

Then he should be an Arsenal player right now ! To me that is cock and bull . I think the papers have nothing else to fill their pages with so they keep doing flip flops on suarez to arsenal .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Opr

That type of contract is not worth the paper it's written on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Opr

If this is proven to be the case, it's incredibly embarrassing for Rodgers, Ayre & John Henry and Ayre should pay get sacked immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wonder how much Muriel would cost?
    They got Nico Lopez from Roma so they kinda got a replacement in waiting to partner toto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Any of these lads likely to break through anytime soon? Nacho is a name I haven't heard in a while, how's he doing?

Mclaughlin and texiera but that might not be till next season

Whos rafa on the bench? :confused:

If this is proven to be the case, it's incredibly embarrassing for Rodgers, Ayre & John Henry and Ayre should pay get sacked immediately.

Below is the bit from the independent. I hope it's rubbish but agree Ayre should be out on his ear asap if any truth in the below.
    Suarez and his agent, Pere Guardiola, brother of the Bayern Munich manager Pep, have worked on the understanding that a clause in the player’s contract states that Liverpool’s failure this season to secure Champions League football means any bid in excess of £40m from a club in the competition would require Liverpool to sell the player. They are mystified as to why Liverpool have rejected the Arsenal bid out of hand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/luis-suarez-to-demand-arsenal-transfer-talks-as-liverpool-stand-firm-8730931.html

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

none of those lads will make it imo except maybe McClaughlin but we have alot of RB's
    some good talents but not exceptional which u have to be to make it at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I would love to see how exactly the clause is worded. First it was 40m, then it was 40m and lfc must listen to offers, now its no CL and 40m !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Below is the bit from the independent. I hope it's rubbish but agree Ayre should be out on his ear asap if any truth in the below.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/luis-suarez-to-demand-arsenal-transfer-talks-as-liverpool-stand-firm-8730931.html

Opr

I hate to be pedantic but arent arsenal technically not in the cl yet? Only the 3rd qualifying round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I hate to be pedantic but arent arsenal technically not in the cl yet? Only the 3rd qualifying round?

That's irrelevant, it's only Liverpool's involvement that matters, if true.

Edit: Not irrelevant, it's late, I'm stupid!

• Advertisement

Soon? McLaughlin and Tex of that lot. Sokolik might be seen in some cups games, he's a very handy CB. Got a bit of a Carra/Hyypia hybrid thing going.

Two who will not make it - Stephen Sama and Adam Morgan. Its hard to see then being anything more than strictly bread and butter Championship material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sweet, so we wait until August when they qualify and then have to accept. Super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would love to see how exactly the clause is worded. First it was 40m, then it was 40m and lfc must listen to offers, now its no CL and 40m !

I'm just waiting for the agent of Suarez to come out and say that it is not actually stated in the contract at all, but that he and his client thought it had been expressed verbally that whatever they make up must be true.

Starting to look more and more like how he agitated to leave Groningen, and how he and his agent back then also "understood" a contract to mean something that was not in print.

No doubt in the next few days we will hear of how he understood that his contract meant something else yet again.

Funny how all the tales about the nasty media and the fear he felt for his family if he stayed in England have totally stopped.

Fantastic player, but sounding like nothing more than a complete bullsh1tter at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

If it was the case why should Ayre get the boot? for all we know Suarez and Guardiola could have insisted upon it, with the threat of leaving had they no got their way. We're just going to have to wait, the next few days are going to be intriguing/ excruciating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Said it already, but I still don't see the point of Suarez going to Arsenal. It's not exactly a final destination (in his mind) I don't think, he'll be looking to move again eventually. If he sticks with us he'll more than likely get a move to Barca, Madrid or one of the megabucks clubs within 12 months. If he goes to Arsenal it will probably be 3 years before he gets the same move. I think he's shooting himself in the foot in a way if he pushes that transfer through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hopefully this should be over in the next few days.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sweet, so we wait until August when they qualify and then have to accept. Super.

No need to wait until August, the player and his agent will have made up some other clause that is not in print well before then.

I'm sure there was some unwritten "can move if London club bids" clause in there along with the two different ones already claimed by his agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Kess73 wrote: »
    .Fantastic player, but sounding like nothing more than a complete bullsh1tter at this stage.

But obviously if he leaves for anything under £60mill the manager must take the blame. :pac:

Agents - death on two legs

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Agents - death on two legs stacked sh1t in a suit

Fixed that for ya. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Said it already, but I still don't see the point of Suarez going to Arsenal. It's not exactly a final destination (in his mind) I don't think, he'll be looking to move again eventually. If he sticks with us he'll more than likely get a move to Barca, Madrid or one of the megabucks clubs within 12 months. If he goes to Arsenal it will probably be 3 years before he gets the same move. I think he's shooting himself in the foot in a way if he pushes that transfer through.

If Suarez continued his best form in an Arsenal shirt they'd be a very tough out in the CL. Can't win it if you're not in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

If Suarez continued his best form in an Arsenal shirt they'd be a very tough out in the CL. Can't win it if you're not in it.

they would be a contender for the premiership as well no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Fixed that for ya. :D

Was it true scholes didn't have an agent? A lot to be said for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-manager-brendan-rodgers-5316683

Rodgers talking up a bit, good to see - I think he has reacted well in the press last few days.
    Brendan Rodgers has warned Arsenal to 'put up or shut up' in their pursuit of Liverpool FC striker Luis Suarez .

The Reds boss insists the Gunners must significantly increase their bid of £40million plus £1 to have any hope of landing the Uruguayan.

Rodgers, who recently said he ranks Suarez in the same class as Edinson Cavani who joined Paris St-Germain from Napoli for £55million, dismissed suggestions that the Londoners' latest offer had triggered a release clause in the player's contract

Suarez, who made his first Liverpool appearance for three months in yesterday's 2-0 win over Melbourne Victory, was scheduled to fly with the squad from Australia to Thailand today for the final leg of the tour.

“For me, it is work as normal,” Rodgers said.

“There is no change for me or for Luis. He is a paid player at Liverpool Football Club so he just needs to get on with getting himself fit.

“That’s how it is. Until somebody tells me something different that is what all my concentration will be on.

“If Arsenal want the player then they have to produce the value for the player.

“There was an offer a few weeks ago of £35million and two weeks later it is now £40million and £1. I don’t think it is anywhere near the value of what he is worth.

“It is two-fold really. A player may want to go, but then somebody has to pay the value or worth of that player.”

Arsenal, whose current record transfer fee is the £15million they spent on Andrey Arshavin in 2009, expect Suarez to try to force the issue by telling Liverpool he wants to join the Gunners.

However, the Reds have no intention of granting him that wish unless there is a suitably attractive offer on the table.

Suarez’s agent Pere Guardiola believed a bid of more than £40million would allow his client to move on but Liverpool have always insisted that is not the case.

Asked if the Reds simply had to inform Suarez of offers in excess of that figure, Rodgers said: “Absolutely. That's it. There is nothing more than that.”

Rodgers discussed Arsenal's new bid with Suarez prior to yesterday's game in front of a crowd of more than 95,000.

The manager is confident last season's top scorer will continue to apply himself for Liverpool while this summer-long saga continues.

“It may be a distraction, but players are paid enough money now to produce for their clubs and he just has to keep his professionalism, which he has done,” Rodgers said.

“He was okay to go on to the pitch and his concentration was fine.

“I am not worried about him (in that sense), but there will be no games played at Liverpool. He is part of the group and he knows the standard you have to meet at this club, on and off the field.

“After a long flight and then double training sessions Monday and Tuesday and then the game he's just a wee bit weary.”

Liverpool aren't prepared to allow the uncertainty surrounding Suarez to drag on into August, potentially damaging the start of their Premier League campaign.

Asked if there would be a cut-off point for the Reds to even consider offers, Rodgers said: “Yes and that period will come soon.”

Philippe Coutinho and Kolo Toure both missed yesterday's game due to minor injuries but could return in Sunday's match against Thailand in Bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Great article that, good to see Rodgers isnt getting rattled by all this Suarez nonsense

• Advertisement

If Suarez continues picking up bans in an Arsenal shirt his involvement may not matter:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Bit disappointing how this all turned out. Great player but the man doesn't have any integrity. I'm a bit embarrassed if I'm honest for defending him during the Evra row.

Starting to look more and more like how he agitated to leave Groningen, and how he and his agent back then also "understood" a contract to mean something that was not in print.

When I first read about the Groningen incident I thought we'd have trouble with Luis and his agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is absolutely head wrecking. I'm going to have to just not read this thread or any football sites for a few days.

See yous tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

past 10,000 already! the thread really motored through the pages today!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement