Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Many engineering jobs for grads?

• 16-06-2013 10:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭

Recently graduate from an honours engineering course. Will get first class honours and was wondering is there many jobs in the UK for graduate engineers. My degree is an energy/mechanical one. How do I go about applying for jobs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

http://www.gradcracker.com/
    http://www.milkround.com/
    http://www.graduate-jobs.com/

Its amazing what google will find you in a few seconds, thats how long it took me to find these sites last year when i was applying for graduate jobs here in the UK.

Your a bit late as most of the companies fill their spots in Feb but you might find a few companys still advertising for positions.

Plenty of graduate jobs over here, plenty of work?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Haven't clicked on them links but I don't mean graduate programmes. Maybe they aren't. I meant in general companies hiring graduates and who would be the best recruitment companies to get a job over there.

Majority of Big/Good Companies over here have Graduate Programes. Any graduate they hire will be expected to enroll in their program.

Are you about to graduate or do you have any experience after your degree i.e. are you a graduate with a year or two's experience.

Either way most companies as i previously said hire graduates into their graduate programs. Some of the smaller companies might hire graduates without having a pre-determined education/training route.

The smaller companies its probably about knowing someone in the company to find out about a job.

What is it your looking for exactly if you dont want to be in a graduate program? what are your reasons for not wanting to be in one?

If I know what your looking for I might be able to help....

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Xrox wrote: »
    Majority of Big/Good Companies over here have Graduate Programes. Any graduate they hire will be expected to enroll in their program.

Are you about to graduate or do you have any experience after your degree i.e. are you a graduate with a year or two's experience.

Either way most companies as i previously said hire graduates into their graduate programs. Some of the smaller companies might hire graduates without having a pre-determined education/training route.

The smaller companies its probably about knowing someone in the company to find out about a job.

What is it your looking for exactly if you dont want to be in a graduate program? what are your reasons for not wanting to be in one?

I'm graduated now, but I have no experience at all.

Ok that's what I wanted to know, kind of ****ty. I don't know anyone really...

I would go into a graduate programme alright but they are ultra competitive and don't believe I'd get in because I imagine there are hundreds of students with more established courses and higher pedigree colleges.

I'm graduated now, but I have no experience at all.

Ok that's what I wanted to know, kind of ****ty. I don't know anyone really...

I would go into a graduate programme alright but they are ultra competitive and don't believe I'd get in because I imagine there are hundreds of students with more established courses and higher pedigree colleges.

Ultra competitve my arse ha ha no competition here at all in fact all of us graduates (UK wide) are getting sent away for a 2 day retreat tomorrow(we go every 6 months). They are crying out for good graduates over here just this year my office recruited 5 mech grads and 2 electrical along with 8 trainees thats just since jan. I'm electrical myself.

Country wide over all diciplines we have recruited about 250 grads over the last year and a bit.

And college means nothing I went to ITB (Blanchardstown) up to Ordinary Degree then DIT for my final year of honours and got a 2.1 over all. And I landed a job in one of the biggest consultancy's in the world :D (dont ask me why i got it)

But i had inverviews with Arup and a few others too. I must of filled in about 30 grad apps and got rejected by about 25 of them but all you need is one!

What college did you go to? What sort of work you trying to get into?

Word of advice .... instead of sitting at home scratching, get on these sites and fill out every application going the worst that ll happen is that in 3 months youill be still scratching.

But coming into September-October the number of companies advertising positions will triple as all the ones you missed out this time around will be recruiting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Xrox wrote: »

Not all employers expect graduates to enroll upon their graduate development programs they also have direct entry routes to certain areas that are in demand and provided they can find suitable candidates (power electronics is one such area in the electrical area at present).

The graduate development programs for those that are lucky to get on them are useful as they allow graduate to experience different areas of the business. Multinationals will have a few ranging from technical to commercial for instance: R&D, production, design, commissioning, sales, marketing, business development etc). The beauty of the graduate programs is that they afford graduates with opportunities to see what different roles offer so that when they decide on their final role they will know what they like and what they are good at benefiting the company and the individual.

Advertisement