Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 Technical Graphics Papers Mon. June 17th, 2013 - OL and HL

Options
  • 16-06-2013 10:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Technical Graphics OL & HL
    Monday June 17th 2013

All discussion and questions about the Technical Graphics papers goes here, following the exam.

Please keep off-topic chat elsewhere.

Good luck all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

I'd say I probably failed. Spent all my time on elipse question and ran out of time for everything else. Didn't get a single long questions done. Terrible way to end the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Short questions:
    They were okay. Doubt I got full marks, as I was unsure of a couple, but near enough hopefully.

Long questions:
    Question 1: My worst question; got a few things wrong but it wasn't too bad.
    Question 2: I got very confused at one point, but it turned out quite well in the end I think.
    Question 5: This went alright. My points were a bit off at the end but I think I got close enough to full marks.
    Question 6: This was my best question I'd say. Hoping for full marks.

All in all, not too bad. It went pretty similar to the mocks, so hoping to scrape another A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JackHarley

Hoping for an A, I'm pretty sure I got 100% in Section A and I did fairly well in Section B.

Q1 was easy, got it all out
    Q2 was a bit more difficult than the past few years but I got it out. Think I might've made a hash of the circle though
    Q5 was irritating but I finished it pretty quickly in like 25 minutes so I think I got almost full marks. Probably lost a few marks for inaccuracy with the circles
    Q6 was a bit weird. The parabola didn't come out right for me and I didn't know how to find J and K (the points for the tangents). Probably only got about 50% on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I though i could have added more to Section 1 but I think the long questions went well and so hoping an A at least

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Section A was simple enough. I did 14 out of 15 questions. I didn't do the freehand one. 10 is all you need though so it's fine. Was the freehand pictorial sketch (the chair) wrong? I'm pretty sure that the drawing that they started for you was space incorrectly.

I didn't look at Q1 or Q5. A lot of people did Q1, spent loads of time on it and messed up their exams. I did Q6 first. I was happy enough with it. Was point M a focal point? It didn't tell you so I took an educated guess at it.

I did Q5 next. My drafting, accuracy and presentation will be 0/10 but I did it correctly otherwise, even though I changed points to make it look a little better.

Q2 was fine. Was the whole thing meant to be hidden detail? I didn't do it but I might be wrong.

Q3 was the strangest thing that I've ever drawn. I did it correctly though I believe so I'm happy enough.

I'll get an A if the examiner doesn't take away 10% from me for the drafting, accuracy and presentation. I got 2/10 in each question in the Mocks.:o

• Advertisement

Was point M a focal point? It didn't tell you so I took an educated guess at it.
    I don't think it was. I believe you had to find the focal point (half of major axis arced from top of minor axis).

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

For question 5, the transformation geometry question, for the points I translated, I chose points that weren't actually part of the figure, but helped in the construction of the figure with measurements. It was something like this, which I just did on paint just there. Heavy lines are H pencil lines and the thin lines are the light, 4H construction lines. ( I didn't bother doing the two small circles for this drawing)
    E1Z8LJG.png
    Is that okay?

M was where the top of the portion of the elipse was. I did it on my exam paper (Half major from top minor) and it worked, but it mightn't be to scale. It worked perfectly fine though, and it looked right. Where was your M?

That was a good idea Cathal. Fair play.;) I had the four parallelogram sides, and the two smaller circles. Bad idea perhaps.

For question 5, the transformation geometry question, for the points I translated, I chose points that weren't actually part of the figure, but helped in the construction of the figure with measurements. It was something like this, which I just did on paint just there. Heavy lines are H pencil lines and the thin lines are the light, 4H construction lines. ( I didn't bother doing the two small circles for this drawing)
    Is that okay?

Yeah that'll get you full marks. You actually only have to transfer one point if you want to, but it's easier to transfer a few.

Okay, grand, thanks. Rotation is where my drawing got messed up a bit. I might have done it wrong but I knew how to rotate them so hopefully I'll still get most of the marks.

• Advertisement

Most of the marks go for technique so you should be fine, mine got pretty messy by the end as well, the only way you'd keep it perfect all the way would be if you took ages making sure everything was perfect so the SEC make allowances in the marking.

I'm not sure what kind of mock yous had, but I really thought this exam was way, way simpler than the mock I had. There was so much figuring out, constructions and difficult things like that in my mock. This exam had really no tricks, if you knew how to do the general stuff (like how to rotate, use isometric projection/scale, all the transformations and how to construct an elipse and parabola), it was mostly fine.

M was where the top of the portion of the elipse was. I did it on my exam paper (Half major from top minor) and it worked, but it mightn't be to scale. It worked perfectly fine though, and it looked right. Where was your M?
    Oh sorry, I was thinking of a different point. Perhaps M is the focal point, I didn't check. I had a very rough way of figuring out the portion of the ellipse; I just measured the line LN with a compass and placed the compass on the area of the ellipse which corresponded with the length of the line LN. Then I just drew a line across the ellipse. I stretched the compass from the line I drew to the top of the ellipse, and transferred that measurement to the line LN, to mark the point M. Not the most conventional of ways, I know. :D

Oh sorry, I was thinking of a different point. Perhaps M is the focal point, I didn't check. I had a very rough way of figuring out the portion of the ellipse; I just measured the line LN with a compass and placed the compass on the area of the ellipse which corresponded with the length of the line LN. Then I just drew a line across the ellipse. I stretched the compass from the line I drew to the top of the ellipse, and transferred that measurement to the line LN, to mark the point M. Not the most conventional of ways, I know. :D

If i understand what you're saying correctly then that's the way you're supposed to do it. :P

Wow.. I thought it seemed a little awkward, but if it's right, great! :D

Actually, that does seem correct. It makes sense. Having said that, the focal point did fit almost perfectly so I'd imagine that's where they put M, so...:p Hopefully I'll get the marks. The lines CL and EN were at 60 degrees, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Cathal,I think part of the parallelogram was meant to be in HB and you also had to draw two of the minor circles you will lose some marks but not many

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Cathal,I think part of the parallelogram was meant to be in HB and you also had to draw two of the minor circles you will lose some marks but not many

That was just a little diagram I did, not what I actually drew, just to show what I labelled as points A, B, C and D. I didn't draw it like that in the exam. The two circles were drawn and I didn't draw the diamond thing like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Thought it went well to be honest. The short questions were a little trickier than usual but I still am sure I got 7 or 8 fully right. The long questions however went very well. I answered Q1/4/5/6. Question 1 was very easy and surface S was very basic. Question 4 was fine but I didn't leave enough space to develop the sloping surface so I redrew the plan of the pyramid and developed it on the side. Should I lose marks for this? Question 5 was okay but my end figure was a bit deformed but my technique was right. Finally, Question 6 was predicted to come up very difficult but I thought it was very easy. I knew all my constructions well but I have a feeling my neatness will lose me quite a few marks as my light lines were almost dark lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junior cert1997

I never labelled the long questions in TG I told my superintendent this and he said it will be ok Will it?

• Advertisement

I never labelled the long questions in TG I told my superintendent this and he said it will be ok Will it?

It's not part of the marking scheme, it just says it on the cover. So, I don't think you will lose marks or anything, unless a marker would consider that part of drafting, accuracy and presentation but I doubt they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junior cert1997

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I found the long questions grand, but the short questions annoyed me a little. I usually have time to get a fifth long question done, i.e in the mocks, class tests, etc, but I didn't this time beacuse i found the short questions very time consuming, not hard, but time consuming. Anyone else find this?

johnROSS wrote: »
    I found the long questions grand, but the short questions annoyed me a little. I usually have time to get a fifth long question done, i.e in the mocks, class tests, etc, but I didn't this time beacuse i found the short questions very time consuming, not hard, but time consuming. Anyone else find this?

I never get a 5th question done, barely get 4 done as it is. Honestly, with the marks available for the short questions, it makes more sense to just do 4 long ones and focus the rest of the time on the short ones. This time around I had about 20 minutes at the end so I went back to my S.Qs and did 3 more that I hadn't done earlier (I did 10 and just moved on earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Worst exam ever omg.

Advertisement