Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathmore

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Ah- that ties in with the response I got via the heritage officer- they are aware of the situation and are going to follow up. I will let you know as further responses happen.
    I accept that it was a legitimate dig, but I would like to know the rational behind it, and obviously why it was left in the state it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Was this done as a licensed dig?
    If so, then whoever did it was totally inexperienced, there are bones scattered all around the mound, bones severed in the hole, and over-all it is very messy.
    Has anyone checked if a license was actually applied for and given.
    When I was up there talking to the Gardai when I reported it, they contacted the church minister and were told a local archaeologist did it, but it was all very vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Have you been there in recent days cfuser?Is it as it was several months ago?
    I think the National Museum issues the licenses - I'd contact them if you haven't done so already.I'd also contact the National Monuments Service again too.
    It doesn't make sense why this was dug in the first place!

I have been onto the NMI and am awaiting results of their investigation.
    Hopefully something positive will happen.

Hi Folks,

I was up at the site today,

Holy F**K-Ups Batman,

Somebody has removed the top of the mound and used the grass and soil to refill the hole.

Unfortunately, who-ever did this has still left bones all over the place, and probably damaged anything below where the stone has now been inserted vertically in the hole.

Pics up in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Is it just me, or does it look like they attempted to make it look like the cross was never excavated? The sods of long grass are clearly packed around the base of it even though the cross was lifted completely out of the excavation.

When I finally got a response from the Gardai last year they contacted the COI Minister who said an archaeologist had done it??
    However, I had my doubts then and I have a feeling that somebody has as you say attempted to hide the ghastly deed and hope it goes away.

I have been on to the NMI and am awaiting a result, although nothing came of my report last year.

Hopefully this time if enough people complain then surely something must happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Has the cross been put back in its original position?
    It looks like it may have been put to one side to create a bit of space - they're hardly going to use that spot for future burials or are they?!!

Hey Bonedigger,

Not sure about the original position as I only discovered the place after the excavation had been carried out.

According to the Duty Officer at the NMI, this is already within the boundaries of a protected monument, ( Rathmore Motte) so technically the mound should not have been touched in the first place, never mind re-using it.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update,

The original dig was carried as a licensed dig?!?

Then the top of the mound has been removed and used to refill the excavation and also support the " Cross " as part of this " Licensed Dig ".

WTF, are these people still in pre-school day-care??

Shameful, absolutely disgusted that this mess was made officially.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It certainly was a dreadfully shoddy piece of work but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it at this stage. There is no point in revisiting the subject again and again just to give out.
    Thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement