Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC eating memory At 1gig an hour :(

Options
  • 16-06-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Help. My dad has literally virtually nothing saved on his laptop. It has a 200 gig ( aprox) memory split into C & E drives. The C drive is full ; with only 300MB left - yet there is practically nothing on it.

Have run virus scan, ( nothing showed latest update), have run systems diagnosis - nothing, have run space save & saved 300MB - within half an hour this was down to 87 Mb left :(

Deleted ( moved to external hard drive and control deleted from trash) the only thing real files had ( 5 gig of music) and checked the C drive - 5.25 Gig extra available. -- the only memory in the C drive. Did nothing except searched for a single photo file thats " lost/misfiled" . By the time I was shutting down the pc following the search the available memory had DECREAsED by over a GIG.

Please can someone help :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Download Treesize free and see where most of the space is used. Might give you some clues to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

sounds as though theres malware filling your HD. Download and run Malwarebytes (Free Version):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Treesize/Windirstat may not be able to identify what the space is. In Vista I usually always encountered this problem every few months, where space was being whittled away and I had no idea where it was going. Could have been a virus, or poor execution of volume shadow copies or some other shyte I don't need to know anything about, but to resolve the situation I just reformatted the machine. You said yourself he saves nothing on there, just take what he does have, place it on a flash drive, and then run the factory reset tools.

Advertisement