Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Bread Bakers' Recipes (Add your own!)

Options
  • 16-06-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Just wondered what other bread bakers might have made today....:)
    At the moment im just waiting on the last prove of three baguettes and a loaf of bread.
    My process today was made a batter this morn at eleven, all the water 680mls( touch warm) half the bread flour500gms,tip of teaspoon of yeast,one teaspoon sugar, whisked for a few mins, cover with plastic and seal with rubber band,12 hrs later(lil later than expected, it always waits for you :-) ) take bread starter(piece of dough from Last bread,10 months old now) from fridge and heat for a 3 mins in the oven,50deg, set aside(also gone in cold)
    Knead dough for 7 mins,let rest, few sips of wine,10-20 mins, knead dough for 5 mins then add dough starter and knead for 2 more mins to combine.
    Initial shape of dough, 3 x 7oz baguettes and one roughly 1 1/2 pound loaf.
    30/40 mins later,another sip, final shape baguettes and loaf.
    Time to put on the oven...........
    At least 10 mins pre heating full temp, my oven is 250deg C max
    Slash(bread knife) and spray the bread beforehand and spray oven as i close the door.Timer 10 mins, open oven door start spraying as i turn the bread,close then turn temp down to 210/225 depending on how they are
    cooking.Timer 10 mins, again spraying water onto bread as i turn bread and switch from top to bottom and turn, Baguettes and rolls will come out at 20 mins, loaf will come out at 30 mins.

Would love to hear other peoples methods.........

Its time for my favourite bit now bar eating......slashing :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Yep its late i know,bread is just from the oven.
    I think i should have been a baker(late night early morning cooking):)

Spotted dog(sultana and mixed fruit soda bread)

pre heat oven to 250c( it seems high, but just for the first 10 mins for the oven spring)
    I will use what comes to hand depending whats in the cupboard.

16 oz self raising( i use plain also or half strong flour and half plain sometimes,thats really nice)
    1 tea sp salt
    2-3 tea sp sugar or brownsugar or honey or none depending on your taste
    1 oz marg or butter or olive oil
    1 tea sp bread soda or cream of tarter or both
    350-400 milk or buttermilk
    1 egg optional

mix all dry ingred

Rub in marg/butter or put oil in with milk
    Make well in center pour milk, whisk egg in if using, stir all together gently with wooden spoon, adding a little more liquid if needed to make a firm but sticky dough.
    scrape all together with spatula,flour bowl and gather, dont knead, to form a round(gently pull the sides up and torwards the middle) place onto a greased or lined baking sheet and gently pat down to about 2 inches,cut the cross with serrated knife to let the fairies out.

10 mins at 250, 10 mins 200-210, 10 mins 170-190, depending on your preference,personally i like a lovely brown toasty crust.

Boardsie bakers, id love to hear your own recipies:)

Wed morning gone i made up bread batter( poolish i think is the term to somewhat describe it:) ) with the intention of baking that night.
    Long story short, my daughter asked was i making some bread for grandmothers day friday, saw that i had only enough flour to make one batch,two loaves, decided wed eve to put the batter in the fridge wed eve and take it out thurs morn to get back to room temp.

Between the hopping and the trotting i did not get to add the second half of flour to the mix until 6.30 thurs eve(34 hrs later). Bread dough really waits until you are ready, developing its wonderful unique flavours with time.

Kneaded it only to form a nice round(just a minute or so) and then back in the bowl covered, had to hit the road again( lil daughters play was on,a lovely Time out :) )

Back 9.30 and bread had risen really well, more than expected, althought yesterday was a really warm day.
    Decided to divide up the bread in two and just form the loaves with no more kneading, a first for me, i love kneading bread, but i felt the poolish had developed the gluten enough(37 hrs)

I let it rise, about 1hr 15 mins, same cooking temps,times and process as post #1.
    Resulting bread was lovely with a very complex taste, nice airy,chewy crumb because of the little kneading, not unlike, Jim Leahys(Sullivans bakery, NY) no knead bread which is really fab and easy to make.
    Until the next
    GL

A first for me today!..... In dunnes to buy some flour, id rarely buy flour there because i would buy a large bag of odlums flour from the cash and carry, not much in the price per kg, but convient to have it there(16 kg bags)

New bags of odlums flour are now 2kg and E2.99, less flour increased price. i do appreciate the poor growing seasons the last few years,
    just always remember the 2.2kg packets all my life. oh well, it wont stop me baking :) Interesting to see what it has gone up by in the c&c.

Planning to do a seeded brown bread and wholemeal yeast bread tmrw.
    That reminds me, i ll make the wholemeal starter now and let it prove overnight. I will try 200 gmms wholemeal, 300 gmms strong white, tip tea sp yeast,tea sp brown sugar, 680mls water(30degC), whisk, cover and let it do its magic.
    Night
    GL

Evening all
    Just finished the cooking of four loaves, two white/ two wholemeal yeast breads and a brown bread.
    Daughter made some butterfly buns first, and is great to get the oven temp up for the initial bread spring i like with the yeast breads,but not necessary.

The wholemeal poolish i made last night rose really well, it tends to as there lots of wild yeasts within it also.

Im always experimenting with different % of wholemeal to strong white flour to spelt flour etc, also with different additions eg walnuts, seeds, cheese, bacon, chorizo,herbs, ones only limited by the imagination and taste they are after.

I have found over the years( about ten now and a few bricks early days:) ) that bakers percentages are invaluable, and took me a while to get used to as i have been in oz and lbs. I work all my breads from 1000 grammes, and everything else added goes into that as percentage of the 1000 grmms or near as makes very little difference.

The wholemeal poolish was
    200 gmms wholemeal (20%)
    300 gmms strong whithe flour (30%)
    1 grmm,Tip teaspoon yeast(roughly 1/8 teaspoon))(1%)
    5 grmms brown sugar(5%)
    680 mls just tepid water( 68 % of the 1000 grmms),this varys depending on type of bread im making,pizza 65 % up to ciabatta at 75-80%, and others in between.

Added to the poolish this morning( all mixed dry in a bowl first)
    200 gmms wholemeal(20%)
    300 gmms strong flour(30%) thats the full 1000gmms of flour now
    6 grmms yeast(6%)
    5grmms brown sugar(5%)
    2 tablespoons olive oil(30ml 3%)poured on top of poolish before adding dry ingred.

Shape your hand like a firm claw, into the bowl and start circular motion bringing in the dry ingred from the sides as you go, sometimes with wholemeal bread you might need a little extra splash of water, firm but sticky dough(dry dough will form a denser crumb, err on slightly wetter than drier) is what you are looking for, once you start kneading, a dusting of flour will stop the stickyness, if you feel its too wet add a little extra flour on the counter while kneading. with practice you will get your own natural feel of when it is right.

I kneaded for 10-12mins, formed two rounds, let rest on the counter for about 40-50 min to let gluten relax and develop more flavour.Formed to long loaves(many methods to form lots of shapes, have fun,experiment)

Last prove was about 1hr 20 mins,as post #1, slash and spray,and same cooking process.

I will scribble later to describe the brownbread if its ok with you all.
    Must search for my camera/ computer cable to get some pics up.Will be asking how to on that one....
    Happy baking boardies

GL

Hi all.
    Brown bread turned out lovely, had a few cuts earlier with cheese, salami,last years green tomato chutney and of course kerrygold:) with a glass of red wine(Im no expert by any means, but it was cabernet sauv-merlot,Oak Lane, south african, not bad at all.

I struggled early days to make a nice brown bread,was either to firm a crumb and/or would fall apart when cutting,edible nonetheless and getting the fibre hey,

What i have kind of settled on( still experimenting always) is
    Pre heat oven to 220C
    300 grmms wholemeal flour
    200 grmms cream plain flour
    75 grmms rolled oats
    2 teasp brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1teaspoon cream of tarter
    1 teasp salt
    50 grmms marg rubbed into dry ingred( olive oil can be used also)
    1 table sp of honey optional
    table sp each of pumpkin,sunflower seeds, pine nuts,walnuts,all optional or varied
    400-450 mls buttermilk,milk, soured milk by adding tablesp of lemon juice and let sit for a short while.

Mix all dry ingred, add liquid, hold a little back , add a little as needed.
    Firm but sticky dough,gather into round and place onto lined or greasd sheet and gently pat down to about 2 inches,
    Cut the cross to let the fairies out....

45min cooking time

Place in oven and 15mins at 220, turn loaf 15mins 190c, turn 15 mins 190c.
    Be good as gold
    Until we meet again, take care
    GL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this into our newly-renamed Cakes & Bakes forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I made a nice brown bread

350g wholemeal flower with broken seeds (linseed, sunflower) (comes from Sainsburys, if anyone's interested)
    100g Bulghur wheat
    Level teaspoon of salt
    Heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
    420ml of full fat milk with a good dash of white wine vinegar (to simulate buttermilk which is rarely available in this heathen country)

Dry ingredients mixed together to ensure a bit of homogeneity then add 3/4s of the liquid followed by the rest (as much as needed). All mixed using a silicone spatula in a plastic bowl and then tipped into a silicone loaf tin. Cooked at 190C for 45 mins. Makes a great brown soda bread. Good with butter and marmalade the first 2 days then toasted on the third (if left).

Produces a good crust which slices well (even thin slices) but moist and crumbly interior.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I made a nice brown bread

350g wholemeal flower with broken seeds (linseed, sunflower) (comes from Sainsburys, if anyone's interested)
    100g Bulghur wheat
    Level teaspoon of salt
    Heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
    420ml of full fat milk with a good dash of white wine vinegar (to simulate buttermilk which is rarely available in this heathen country)

Dry ingredients mixed together to ensure a bit of homogeneity then add 3/4s of the liquid followed by the rest (as much as needed). All mixed using a silicone spatula in a plastic bowl and then tipped into a silicone loaf tin. Cooked at 190C for 45 mins. Makes a great brown soda bread. Good with butter and marmalade the first 2 days then toasted on the third (if left).

Produces a good crust which slices well (even thin slices) but moist and crumbly interior.

That sounds lovely Marcusm, I ll be giving that combination of flour a go for sure. Pity the buttermilk is not easily available to you, but you adapt with the white wine vinegar.

After a few days all homemade bread is fab toasted,and there is such a longer/healthier shelf life to it in comparison to store bought(thankfully not for many yrs now)

Wonderfull taste and very pretty bread, fab with soup,

500 grmms strong white flour
    1 teasp salt
    2-3 teasp sugar,optional/ variable depending on how sweet you may like them
    my kids like them sweeter
    7grmms( sachet) yeast
    1 tablesp honey
    1 tablesp olive oil,ptional
    350- 380mls buttermilk
    1 egg with dash of water for glazing,optional
    poppy, sesame seeds to sprinkle on top,optional

Buttermilk can be taken out in advance to bring to room temp or used from fridge, it will just be slightly longer proving, thats perfectly ok.

Mix all dry ingred,stir honey/oil thru buttermilk,add most but not all the milk and mix to form a firm but sticky dough,dash more milk if needed.

I kneaded for 5mins,let rest for 10-20 mins, kneaded for another 5 mins,
    or a straight 10 mins, personally i always like to let any dough rest for some period during kneading.

Form round and let rise in bowl or on counter covered for approx 1hr-1 1/2 hr until double in size.

Turn on to lightly floured surface,gently press down with fingertips,which disperses the gas and yeast thru the dough for the final rise(punching dough was never for me after all the tlc)

Divide up dough into 10- 12 pieces and form little rounds,

Place them all snug together in a 9-10 inch greased springform tin.
    cover,slip into a plastic liner and prove for about 50 mins(or doubled)
    Pre heat oven to 220 deg C(425 F)

Glaze with egg and seeds if you like. sometimes i do sometimes not.
    If i dont glaze i will spray with water as for normal breads.

30 mins cooking time,10,10,10 turning bread thru cooking.
    If after 10 mins if they are browning nicely,turn temp down to 190 deg c,
    Just judge it youself, all ovens vary on cooking times.
    SO nice to eat warm
    Happy baking
    GL

Good evening bakers
    Made up a pre ferment batch about two hours ago.

1kg strong white flour
    1360 mls 40 deg c water(things go a litttle faster) 68 % hydration
    14grmms yeast
    3 tea sp sugar
    Whisked all together,cover,
    I will take dough from previous batch out of fridge now and let come to room temp

End of school tmrw and there will be loaves for the kids teachers,principal and the bus driver :) Although the bus driver likes the curney soda bread so ill put one together also for him

• Advertisement

Sorry got late on me.

It was quite a bit of dough to manage after, have done a few big batches in the past.

Added another
    1kg strong white flour
    7grmms yeast
    4 tablesp olive oil

It would work out roughly about 7lbs of dough.So i divided in two and kneaded it for 5/7 mins at a time and one half rested for the same.
    I cut off three 7 oz(200grmm) pieces for a few pizzas and formed everything into rounds.

Oven on at full temp for 20 mins for pizzas.
    Also had the dough starter(10oz) out of the fridge,only two of the four breads,or half the overall batch would get the starter, did not want to dilute it with all the bread.

Loaves got pressed down and reformed once during pizza making.
    Same process,slashing, spraying,temps.
    All turned out great.

The beauty of bread for me, no two loaves turn out the same,each have a uniqueness,its own beautiful form, thats why im addicted.

Happy baking
    GL

Evening fellow artisan bakers
    Missing in action for a bit, but have made bread and had a pizza evening at my brothers since the five loaf bake thursday gone...busy and fun(i have dreamed about a five kg dough standmixer:) )

Time for zzzzs, but tmrw ill skip thru my methods and experiences with pizza making, definitely one of my favourite breads to prepare,fill,slide and savour, sooooo so much fun...
    ni night
    GL

Evening bakers

Just made a poolish to make some bread later, with the kids off school they will be like cookie monsters :)

The usual flour(500grmms,50%) and water measures(680mls,100%) but i went with 7grmms of yeast and 43 deg c water,which comes back to about 32-35 deg ish mixed.
    It will all be just fermenting a bit faster,must remember to take the previous dough starter from the fridge to come up to room temp.

Just finished kneading the bread,first prove will be about 50 mins.
    Added to the poolish was

300grmms strong white(30 %)
    200 grmms coarse wholemeal
    7grmms yeast
    3 teasp sugar
    2 teasp salt
    30 mls sunflower oil

12-15 mins kneading,added dough starter from fridge for the last few mins(it has been kneaded last batch)
    Cut off 10oz(285grmms) placed back in the fridge.Lovely to watch it develop in the days ahead at the cooler temps.

Finally get to the pizzas....
    The dough i use is like any i have described already,just with slight variations,experimenting.The biggest challange for me i felt was getting the oven up to the highest temp and preheating some type of a baking stone in the process,and i have used every stone,brick granite slab,pizza stone, i could lay my hands on over the years,aiming for that big airy crisp edge to the pizzas. What i have settled on now and to great success is a very old kiln tile,maybe 170yrs old, that came from my old homeplace which was a working flour mill up until the late sixties...and i wonder where the seed was sown for my passion to make bread:). My mam being truly my biggest influence.

Gotta form some loaves........

Good afternoon to you all.
    Been busy chasing my tail and baking many breads the last few days.
    Big bake coming saturday,family get together sunday, brothers, sister and kids home from abroad the last week.Planning 6x2lb loaves,white and wholemeal,3 buttermilk clusters, walnut and seeded wholemeal yeast,2 brown breads, 2 soda breads,fruit and plain.
    Something along those lines:) .

At the moment i have 15x 7oz pizza rounds in the fridge made early hrs of this morning ticking away for a pizza evening with the crew.
    Made wholemeal and herb/garlic dough.
    Quite a few diff variations/methods with the bread which ill scribble down as soon as i get a chance

Lots of spinning this eve and a hot,hot oven :)
    Happy baking
    GL

Good morning boards bakers
    It was a busy sat evening baking bread that went into the wee hours, it was fun.Getting all the different breads timed that they were ready one after another was interesting, and as the evening went on the oven got hotter so had to keep a little closer eye on how the bread cooked.

A run down on what i baked,
    2 wholemeal yeast with toasted walnut,pumpkin and sunflower seed(pre ferment from morning)
    2 white yeast( pre ferment from morn and dough starter from fridge)
    2 buttermilk clusters(large and small springform tin,about 30 pieces )
    24 round bread rolls(cooked for 12 min) that will get glazed,seeded and cooked again this morning for about 8 min
    4 pre formed baguettes,that just before cooking get cut with a scissors every 2 inches but not fully thru and folded left then right from end to end, great for tearing apart and lots of lovely tasty crust.
    5 smaller baguettes, again using scissors to create a detail on top

Shortly i will be cooking
    1 wholemeal yeast no knead bread with walnuts,sultanas,cinnamon and ground black peppercorn.
    1 white yeast no knead bread.

Both will have about 16-17 hrs proving time. Just a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and 18-20 degree C water used for the long slow ferment and development of the gluten. I will cook these breads in a pre heated cast iron pot(Dutch oven style) for 45 mins. 30 mins with lid on,last 15mins lid off.
    This is such a fantastic bread with a crust and crumb to die for:) only about 5-10 mins hands on working time.

Many many thanks i give Jim Lahey
    for this wonderful way of making no knead bread.

Nearly there:)
    1 regular brown bread
    2 soda breads,one plain,one with mixed fruit

Thats it folks:D, hope you liked the rundown as much as i enjoyed baking it all. I have some photos and will get a few more and post them up as soon as i get a chance.

Gotta go and form the no knead bread,and another strong coffee:)
    Have a great sunday bakers.
    GL

Ps.. pizza night on thurs was great,had to make more dough after and cooked 19 pizzas,so much fun. Each and everyones own pizza looking like a work of art,Brill. Leftover dough making some bread rolls for family to take home.

Take care

Good morning all.
    Finally i think im able to put up some photos:)
    It was a lovely family get together,lots of food and bread:) and maybe a little to much wine:o

1/ Wholemeal with roasted walnuts,pumpkin and sunflower seed.
    2/The same cooked.
    3/Buttermilk cluster starting its final prove
    4/ Par cooked bread baps made with beer rather the water, got a glaze and sesame seeds next morn and cooked for 12 mins.
    5/Whloemeal and white loaves

20130706_212102.jpg

20130706_220257.jpg

20130706_232700.jpg

20130706_232748.jpg

20130706_232811.jpg

The final selection.
    I think i managed to get a nice mix of different flavoured breads, and some of the crew took a selection home with them.

20130707_133559.jpg

Good evening.
    Just finished kneading up a bread.
    With the kids off school they are getting thru the bread quickly
    Time was not on my side this eve so the ingred and method was

750grmms bakers flour
    250grmms wholemeal stoneground
    2 teasp salt
    3teasp sugar
    14 grmms yeast
    2tablesp sunflower oil
    680mls 40 degC water

285grmms(10oz) fridge starter

Mixed all dry ingred,added water and oil mixed to firm but sticky dough.
    Let rest, covered for 40 mins
    Kneaded for 12 mins,added starter after i stretched it out in front of me and fold back on itself,turn 90 degrees and repeat, for another 2-3 mins.
    Let rest for 10 mins, and formed to tapered loaves, proving at the moment, take about 50 mins.
    The same water spray,slash and cooking times,
    From start to finish this bread will take 3hrs,my time 20-25 mins.
    Happy baking
    GL

Evening everyone,
    Wow thats some wonderful weather we are getting,been a few seasons since we ve seen similar.
    The temps caught me out a bit last with the proving of the bread. They proved alot quicker than i thought, also i had the oven on and it was only the fan and light:-) so an extra 15 mins oven heating,in that time,watered and slashed, the dough came down in height and spread out a little. the crust and crumb were grand,just the overall shape was flatter.
    That i was going for the quicker bread,and the very warm evening caught me out, all learning.

This evening i am going to mix a no knead bread(Jim Laheys) for pizzas tmrw eve.
    This will be a first for me, as the dough runs with about 75%(750mls) water too 1kg flour,so a very soft,sticky dough.
    Regular pizza dough i make runs between 65-68% and a lot firmer.
    I think i ll run with 15-16degC water with such warm weather out.Long slow prove for about 19-20 hrs.
    Let you know how it goes.
    Catch ye all later
    GL

• Advertisement

Hi all
    Interestingly i looked up jim laheys pizza dough and i was wrong.
    Not having tried his pizza,his bread yes, when i read up on his recipe which i presumed was a wetter dough,in fact uses 60%(600mls per 1000grmms approx) hydration,so alot drier dough than even i use(65-70%).
    It has a 2 1/2 hr approx timeline to topping and cooking.
    So just for this pizza night i ll make up my normal poolish in the morn, and make the dough tmrw eve.
    Ill take some pics of my pizza process and see what you think.
    Please feel free to post up some of your breads/pizzas and methods,would be cool. Have not tried Marcasms recipe(post #8) but i sure will be,when i get the ingredients.
    Adieu
    GL

Good morning.
    Time just gets away.This the humble way i do pizzas.
    I have a few pics of the pizza eve from thurs, some of initial mixing/prep thru to the finished pizza, which did not last long with the cookie monsters here:).
    Its the normal preferment from morning and mixed the balance of flour,yeast,oil at about half six,kneaded for 12mins,added fridge starter,another 3mins.
    formed 9 rounds and first two pizzas went into the pre heated oven at 7.30.

800grmms strong white(80%)
    200grmms wholemeal(20%)
    14grmms yeast
    15grmms sugar
    5grmms salt
    20-30mls olive oil

Poolish was
    500grmms strong white
    680mls just tepid water
    1grmm yeast
    Whisk altogether and cover.

Balance mixed in later

I dont normally cook two together, to keep oven temp up, but with the kids tapping their feet..... intrestingly it gave a more balanced cooking of the pizzas,both crust and toppings, and in for 10-12 mins rather than 6-8 mins for
    one.Cooking on sheets rather than sliding from peel, from the peel i find one has to be fairly quick to stop it sticking before sliding, on the sheets you can take your time, i prob do 50/50 sliding from peel vs cooking on sheets.

bread3 pizzas 003.jpg

bread3 pizzas 004.jpg

bread3 pizzas 005.jpg

bread3 pizzas 007.jpg

bread3 pizzas 014.jpg

1/ Poolish and balance of ingred(on the sides of the bowl with the poolish you can see where it had risen to and receded)
    2/Mixing together
    3/Just ready for kneading
    4/Ready to rock
    5/12mins kneading done and ready for fridge starter

bread3 pizzas 015.jpg

bread3 pizzas 021.jpg

bread3 pizzas 022.jpg

bread3 pizzas 024.jpg

bread3 pizzas 027.jpg

1/ Adding the starter dough
    2/Stretching dough and folding back on itself,turn 90deg,repeat
    3/10 oz(285grmms) started dough to go back into the fridge.
    4/Few prepped and starter dough.
    5/All done, lightly oiled and will be covered up for final prove,about 30 mins
    Oven on at full temp now.

Nearly there:)

bread3 pizzas 032.jpg

bread3 pizzas 029.jpg

bread3 pizzas 030.jpg

bread3 pizzas 033.jpg

bread3 pizzas 037.jpg

1/ Nicely proved,and gluten relaxed enough to form the pizzas bases.
    2/ Gently pushed down and ready to stretch. I prefer to hold in two hands stretch turn a little stretch and repeat,I ve stuck a few to the ceiling and floor also while spinning:).
    3/Ready for sheet and topping
    4/First of the kids pizzas done, cousin loves lots of meat on his:) we called it his meatza
    5/Two more,easy to tell which is the adults pizza....
    I so love pizzas and all the fun that goes with it.

Hope you enjoyed.

A last family get together tmrw before they go back abroad so i will be doing a few breads for it and ill get a few pics.
    Have a great day.
    GL

Konnichiwa minasan
    That was another hot but beautiful day.Thought it was to be cooler for the weekend:o
    Its definitely throwing a few curve balls in the works with the proving of dough.
    Im using less yeast in the preferments and cooler water to try balance the difference in temps.Everyday is a learning day. But you can make home made bread fit into,and wait for you, in any daily schedule. From a few hrs to days.
    Just dont stop,keep,keep trying.

Earlier i mixed up a white flour poolish and one of jim laheys no nead breads(wholemeal,walnuts,cinnamon and black pepper...really nice)not to exact flour type,but what i ve got in the press, but what a flavour and crust.That will be cooked in a pre heated cast iron pot(be very very careful when handling)

The real fun when using the cast iron pot to cook bread in, is that is has to cook for 30 mins covered with lid on, and the last 15min lid off, its as soon as the lid gets lifted off that you get to see your own beautiful one of a kind creation,now thats fun:D

1/No knead dry mix.600 grmms flour,white and wholemeal, plus hand full of walnuts chopped,handfull of suntanas, 1 gramme yeast, level teaspoon cinnamon,level teaspoon ground black pepper,and 450mls(75%) water from tap.
    2/Mixed
    3/Ready to do its magic thru the night

A few pictures of finishing the no knead bread.

bread4 001.jpgAfter initial prove of 14 hrs.

bread4 004.jpgOn a well floured counter as its a sticky dough.

bread4 005.jpgFolded in on itself then i formed a round.

bread4 006.jpgInto a lined and floured dish for last prove,about 2-2 1/2 hrs

bread4 021.jpgReady to go into the heated cast iron pot.

bread4 022.jpgDropped into the hot pot,back in the oven, 45 mins,
    30 mins with lid on,15mins lid off. temp 250deg c first 15,225 next 15,200 last 15

bread4 024.jpgHave to be very careful,the pot is extremly hot.

bread4 026.jpgFinished bread, one never knows what way the top of the bread will open up:) but you can only see it after 30 mins

And finally the smaller selection of bread for the family get together this afternoon,

bread4 030.jpg

Gotta load up, catch ye later
    Take care
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Amazing thread. I've tried making pizzas from scratch, but never been too happy with my bases, so I'll definitely try one of your recipes. Absolutely drooling looking at the some of those breads. Don't know would I have the patience for it.

• Advertisement

Hi ye l'prof, thanks for your kind words.
    Initially for me i found it hard to get my head around it all, but once you are at it and doing the different bread making processes, each time you do it you learn a little,sometimes unknown to yourself.

"Different hands make different bread" so holds true.
    Trust what your hands feel,eyes see and tastebuds tell you....and you ll rock.

I started off with the mindset that if i perfected a white loaf bread with only flour,yeast,salt and water,then with practice and a relatively short space of time you will be confident in the making of any bread.

You will also see that the bread does the patience for you:)

Please dont hesitate to ask me any questions you might have and ill endeavour to point you in the right direction.

GL

Advertisement