Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Bread Bakers' Recipes (Add your own!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Bonsoir a tous.

Just made up a bread batter,poolish, 7pm now i will let it sit for 1 hr. It will be a quick preferment but all time thats added to bread enhances the flavour.
    No matter what i do it will still be a 3-3 1/2 hr start to finish. My time on the poolish,8-10 mins.

Poolish
    230grmms strong white flour(23% of 1000grmms)
    270grmms wholemeal(27%)
    7grmms yeast( it will be active quicker,wholemeal helps also,wild yeast)
    1tablesp brown sugar
    1tablesp olive oil
    1tea sp salt
    680mls of 38 deg C water.(68% water)

Mix dry ingred then add water and oil.
    Whisk together.
    More often that not i just use flour,water and yeast for poolish, but decided to add half the sugar,salt and oil, to experiment and compare.

Vous parler de temps en temps
    GL

Time got away from me again.Struggling to keep the veg watered:(
    Bread came from the oven at 11.50 so it worked out just shy of four hrs start to finish. The poolish sat for 2 hrs, and i doubled the dry poolish ingred with the flour balance being 500grmms(50%) strong white flour.
    Fridge starter dough added at the end of kneading,and same(285grmms) cut off and replaced in the fridge,plus a 200grmm piece for kids pizza tmrw.

Decided to do a large pan loaf for a change,the extendable baking tin comes in very handy for different size breads(If i recall it was picked up in lidl for a few euros)
    bread5 003.jpg

bread5 005.jpg

bread5 009.jpg

bread5 010.jpg

bread5 011.jpg

bread5 013.jpg

bread5 015.jpg

bread5 017.jpg

001.jpg

Heated up the oven with a brown bread beforehand :)
    Goodnight to you all and take care.
    GL

Gach duine maidin mhaith

I ve not baked in a few days,with the weather being so hot there is not as much bread being eaten. I made up a poolish yesterday morn at 11.30.

500grmms Strong white flour
    2grmms yeast(1/3 teaspoon)
    675 mls just warm water(30 deg c)
    Whisk all together.

Time got away from me so i put the poolish in the fridge last night,its out now coming back to room temperature. To it i will add,

500 grmms strong white
    5grmms yeast
    2 teasp salt(10 grmms)
    2 table sp oil(30 mls)
    2 tea sp sugar(10grmms)
    Fridge starter at the end of kneading

004.jpg Last night before going into the fridge.

005.jpg and this morning,decreased in size considerably but will have developed lots of flavour thru the night and ready for addition of the balance of ingred.Going with just 7grmms of yeast total to do a longer proving on the bread.

Labhairt nios deanai
    GL

Good evening bakers.

Oh the usual.... posting pics of the bread when its nearly consumed :)

This batch of bread ran for 34hrs, from poolish to taking it from the oven.Have not done an all white bread for a while now, getting wholemeal into the kids diet dont ye know:rolleyes:.I really enjoyed it myself to be honest.

Bread 6 001.jpg Balance of ingred mixed in,a little slack and sticky from the longer prove and feels like a slightly higher hydration(73C% ish) dough.

Bread 6 004.jpg Went with just 5 mins kneading(experimenting always).The long prove bringing good gluten development. Ready to add fridge starter.

Bread 6 005.jpg

Bread 6 006.jpg Rolled up ready for a few mins stretch and fold to mix in the starter.

Bread 6 007.jpg Starter cut off, will be formed into a round and back into the fridge .

• Advertisement

Bread 6 008.jpg Ready for proving.

Bread 6 009.jpg Rhubarb and apple pies to heat up the oven for the bread..... and supper:)

Bread 6 010.jpg Ready to form loaf and two baguettes

Bread 6 011.jpg With the dough that wee bit slack is was harder to get a tighter surface on the bread,thats ok with the last prove and hot oven they will shape nicely themselves.

Bread 6 012.jpg Usual cooking times and spraying. the football on the end of the plaited bread was for my son....:D
    The texture and flavour of this bread was really good. The long prove really does develop the bread in so many ways.

The variety of breads that can be made with simply flour,water,yeast and salt with variations in kneading and proving is simply astounding and infinite.

Oiche mhaith agus curam a ghlacadh
    GL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi genuine leather, I've updated your thread title to make it more inclusive to other users. As it stands, this thread is like a blog and that's not the purpose of the site, so hopefully more posters might contribute recipes under the new title.

Good morning
    We had a pizza night on thursday gone. I went with an all white flour dough with the exception of the small amount of wholemeal in the fridge starter.
    The normal method of making a poolish in the morning and first pizza went into the oven at 7.30 with the kids and cousins,cookie monsters, asking who is getting the first pizza tonight:).

I put the kiln stone in the oven,thought i would slide a few with some done on trays also.

bread 8 002.jpg

bread 8 013.jpg

bread 8 015.jpg My diy pizza slide, baking sheet with one end cut off and fixed to a wee bit of v sheeting:). Just not got around to picking up a proper one.

bread 8 016.jpg Topped and ready.

bread 8 017.jpg It stuck a little while sliding, toppings moved a bit,but it cooks so fast on the stone(6-7 mins with a half turn at 4mins) and the edge rises so well.

Even placing the tray on top of the hot stone works really well and gets the pizza edges high and crispy

On these i put lots of veg from the garden,cauliflower,broad beans,french and runner beans,courgette,garlic,onion,tomato, a lovely burst of flavours.
    bread 8 033.jpg

bread 8 027.jpg

And a few scones for breakfast this morning.

bread 8 037.jpg

bread 8 040.jpg

Have a great weekend
    GL

Good evening bakers.
    Hope you are all well.
    Made a poolish at lunchtime today,

400grmms strong white(40%)
    100grmms wholemeal(10%)
    1grmm yeast
    670mls just warm water
    whisk together,cover up

8.30 this eve i have added the same flour measures as poolish with the addition of,

13grmms yeast
    10grmms salt
    30mls olive oil.
    285grmms old dough starter at the end of kneading(optional,if you might have kept back a piece from your last batch ;) )
    No sugar added to this bake.

The normal kneading time,proving time,slashing,spraying and cooking times.

bread9 018.jpg

bread9 020.jpg

bread9 023.jpg

bread9 024.jpg

bread9.jpg

Oiche mhaith
    GL

• Advertisement

Good afternoon bakers
    Missing in action for a bit.
    A few breads i have done recently and today,

bread 11 002.jpg

bread 11 003.jpg Some breads for a picnic last weekend

bread 10 002.jpg The poolish for these breads was made on thursday morning and i did not get a chance to work on it until last night, to which i added the balance of ingred(white loaves),kneaded,covered and placed in fridge overnight. Taken from fridge this morning let come to room temp and formed two loaves, proved for another hour. A slack dough from the long proving but will rise well in a hot oven

bread 10 008.jpg A few breads and fruit scones for a close friends family gathering.

Take care
    GL

Morning bakers.

My kids have been asking me to make doughnuts for a few days, and i wanted to try something baked rather than cooked in oil.
    This recipe is off the bat, a yeast bread with a few extra bits added

500grmms strong white flour
    7grmms yeast
    1 teasp salt
    2 tabsp sugar
    30grmms melted butter
    300mls 45deg C milk
    2 duck eggs
    Dash of vanilla essence

Mixed all dry ingred,make a well in the centre, add milk, eggs, butter,and essence and whisk for a few seconds then mix altogether. i could have used less milk with the volume of the eggs,maybe 250mls. I just added more flour to firm up the dough a little.

Kneaded for 10 mins,covered and proved for 1 1/2 hrs

Shaped into roughly 70grm rounds,proved for another 45 mins.
    Oven on at 230 deg C, a shade to high as it turned out,with milk and eggs things brown up quick so next time starting temp of 200 deg C should be good and decrease to 170 ish torwards end of cooking,about 20 mins overall.

The flavour was really nice,sponge like with the duck eggs.
    A taste between doughnut/brioche/hot cross bun if that makes any sense:)
    Some icing on top would be lovely.
    Kids really like them so this experiment worked out well.

Take care
    GL

Good morning bakers.
    Pizza night thursday gone for the kids and cousins.
    Thought i might run thru the process again if anyone was interested in doing
    saturday night pizza :)

Made the flour batter mix(poolish) in the morning. Can be made only a few hours beforehand with half the yeast depending how your time is going.
    It really adds flavour the longer the prove.

1/2 teasp yeast
    1teasp sugar
    670mls tepid water
    Whisk all together cover and set aside.

Added to that in the evening
    The balance of two sachets yeast,14grmms total
    1teasp sugar
    1teasp salt
    2/3 tablesp olive oil
    2 teasp mixed herbs/seasoning.
    285grmms(10oz) fridge starter dough(optional) added at the end of kneading.

All this can be halved for 4 bases, i always do a 1kg batch, any bases(if any) left can make a few small loaves at the end of cooking.

Mix thru and knead for 10/15 minutes.Add starter and knead thru, cut 10 oz off and placed back in the fridge. I would normally do a first prove(1hr) of all the dough before forming pizza rounds, but kids asking when will the pizza be done cancelled first prove:).

This then made 8 rounds at 7 1/2oz(215grmms) that proved for about 40mins(finger pressed into dough and leaves print is ready to prep) before the first two pizzas were topped and cooked.
    Preheating the oven 20/30 mins beforehand.

I will gently press the dough round onto a floured counter forming an edge to the dough until its about 8 in across and then i lift and stretch in my hands to the desired size.
    I brush the baking sheets lightly with olive oil before placing the base and toppings. Cook for 7-9 mins, i will turn the pizza half way thru to cook it evenly.

I would love to hear about your own bread and pizza adventures(tips and tricks) please post away :)

Take care
    GL

Trathnona maith
    Thought i might let you know of my ideas for my wood fired pizza and bread oven. For the last few years i ve used dry laid fire bricks, box shaped(double brick thickness) with pitched brick roof(single)and brick floor.
    I have cooked so much food in it, pizza,bread, joints of meat overnight(fab)
    roasted veg. Without a doubt the flavor of anything cooked wood fired is just incredible.

What id love to build is a Pompeii oven. But thats a project for year or three down the line. This oven hopefully will fill that gap in the meantime.
    The reasons for dismantling the bricks and giving this a shot are(hopefully:) ), better heat retention, less wood used,slightly larger floor area,chimney stack to front for draw and less watery eyes:), i can use it in the middle of the winter.

Afaik its a very old soup/food bowl from work places many decades ago that sat on a tripod over a wood fire!! the cast iron is so heavy, and weighs a serious amount, hopefully that will be part of the heat retention. As you can see i have cut out a door,and will need to cut it a little higher to get the dome vs door height correct(63%),and have cooked a few pizzas.

Briefly,I will be building up a platform(48inx70-80in)placing reclaimed precast 4in concrete heads on top.A layer of breeze blocks(prevent heat sink) under or cut inside the oven,layer of fire bricks,outer floor and chimney stack, 4-5 in perlite/cement mix over the whole oven, possibly a thermal blanket,finished with a 2in sand and cement finish.

Im sure that plan will be adjusted somewhat as i go.Trying to keep it simple enough as it will be taken down eventually.

Please chime in with any ideas or suggestions.
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lisacaff1

Could you post your recipe for fruit scones please? They look lovely!

Hi lisacaff.
    I am always tricking with different methods and ingredients.
    A nice recipe i do alot,be it scones or for soda bread.

500grmms self raising
    320-340 mls buttermilk
    1 egg
    1 teasp salt
    1/2 teasp bicarb of soda/cream of tarter
    1 tabsp sugar
    1-2 oz marg or butter
    Handfull of sultanas/mixed fruit(optional)

Pre heat oven to 210 deg C
    Mix all dry ingred(without fruit) and rub in marg/butter( add fruit now and stir thru).Make a well in the centre pour in the buttermilk, holding a little back.
    Drop in the egg and whisk into the buttermilk, mix altogether adding a little more liquid if needed to get a firm but sticky dough.
    Dust bowl and dough and gather into a round. Turn onto a floured counter and pat down gently ,if needed turn it over, little bit more flour and repeat until about 1in thick. Cut out scones and place on lined or greased baking sheets, makes about 20. You can glaze the top with a little egg white/water mix if preferred. Place in the oven, after 10-12 mins you could turn the trays in the oven,check how they are browning and adjust the temp down a little if needed and cook for another 5-6 mins and place on a wire rack.
    Time to put on the kettle:)... and for a real treat, some fresh cream and jam.
    Enjoy
    GL

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hi Genuine Leather, loving your bread photos - not quite ready or brave enough to try yet!

Would you have a recipe for nice soft bread baps/cakes - where I'm from we call them breadcakes:)

Really miss them as the ones you get here are really doughy

Hi Angeldaisy.
    Sorry time was not on my side the last few days:o

Go for it, you will be thrilled when when you have a tray of breadcakes on the table that will vanish quickly:)

This recipe i think might come close to to the breadcakes you describe.

500grmms strong white/bread flour
    350mls warmed milk
    1 sachet yeast,7 grmms
    1 egg
    1 tablesp sugar(
    1 tablesp veg oil
    1 tablesp honey
    1 teasp salt

Combine flour,salt and yeast in a bowl
    In a seperate bowl whisk together the rest of the ingred just using 320mls of the milk,holding a little back if a bit extra is needed torwards the end.
    Add to flour and mix together to form a dough that is sticky but holds its shape. Extra moisture in bread always helps for a softer crumb, but to much and its a little hard to handle, just add small amounts of flour until you feel its ready to knead.

Knead for 10-12 mins,form a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl,cover and let rise for 50-70 mins or until a little more than doubled in size.

Turn on to a lightly floured counter and gently press down with fingers.
    Cut pieces at 70-90 grmms and form small rounds,place on a lined or greased baking sheet and let rise again covered or placed in plastic bag until a little more than doubled in size, 30-40mins. Pre heated oven at 180 deg C.
    Cook for 25-30 mins turning half way thru, keep an eye on them as bread made with milk and egg browns a lil quicker. Reduce temp a little if needed.
    Place on wire rack to cool,but definitely tear a warm one apart and enjoy:)

Let me know how you get on and maybe post a few pics.
    Happy baking
    GL

Good morning bakers
    I have been threatening to give this a go for quite awhile now and i was pleasantly surprised how well it worked coming from the freezer(defrosted in minutes),topped and cooked. Lovely crisp base and edges,but not to much so.Now we can have pizza anytime day or night:). Oh if only.

I love the whole process of a pizza night and getting the dough ready,prepping the toppings,chatting and sipping a vino,keith floyd always comes to mind:) ( doing a two to three day prove in the fridge lately, really good for flavour and texture) But what prompted a par bake was that its the sons birthday next week and he is having a crew of his friends over with pizza on the menu. So with a lot of hungry mouths to feed i gotta be quick:eek:

I was making bread on thurs so cut off 8oz to try the pizza base.
    With the oven preheated to 250deg C for the bread i prepped the base, brushed with olive oil and used a fork to to make holes on the bottom to stop the middle rising, into the oven for less than 2 minutes. As you can see i got part of the dough to thin, so a little thicker on the base next time, and then the topped,edges brushed with olive oil and cooked at 200deg C for ten minutes and it vanished fast.

I have just taken a batch of dough from the fridge that will make 8/9 bases so i will put up a few pics later on.
    GL

Buon Pomeriggio

Got the par baked pizza bases made,they worked out grand.
    Will definitely be doing a dozen or so for the sons birthday.It would be so handy to have a few in the freezer for anyone that needs something quick to prepare for kids, friends and family in a hurry.

I made the bases a little over the 8oz(230grmms) mark so i got 7 out of a 1kg batch of flour(90% bread flour,10% wholemeal flour,65% water,yeast,salt and olive oil)
    I dropped the oven temperature to 225 deg C and cooked in pairs for 3 mins.
    The edge rose well and i pierced the base with a fork to prevent it rising.I think the same temp would work for the second bake.
    Hmmm, think i will have to go out and grab some mozzarella:)
    I have got some work done on the base of the brick oven but i think the DIY section is where i should put that?
    Provvedere
    GL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hi Angeldaisy.
    Sorry time was not on my side the last few days:o

Go for it, you will be thrilled when when you have a tray of breadcakes on the table that will vanish quickly:)

Let me know how you get on and maybe post a few pics.
    Happy baking
    GL

thank you so much for this, gave it a try today - not the prettiest looking batch, but my god they taste divine. If i'd been on my own I would have wolfed the lot smothered in butter:D

Will try it again but make them larger and flatter - if you get me.
    Thanks again:)
    DSC_1689.jpg

Angeldaisy.....Wow
    They look fab,id buy them if i spotted them in a bakery, and unique to how your hands made them. Well done. Thats the bread bug for you now:D
    So glad i could help.
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

As the thread title states, I recently bought myself a stand mixer.

What I am looking for is a great recipe for wonderful light and airy bread.

I quite like the tiger bloomer kind of bread you get in places like Tescos. I dont want to be restricted by a bread tin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 527 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

500g strong bread flour
    10g yeast
    10g salt
    Spoon of honey
    Spoon of olive oil
    350ml warm water

Put flour in bowl with yeast and salt at opposite sides. Mix honey and olive oil in water and add to flour and mix until combined.
    Knead on a floured work surface for 10 minutes and then add to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film until it has risen.
    Once risen knead again and return to covered bowl. Once risen a second time form your desired shape of loaf and bake for 45 mins at 220c. It's cooked once base of loaf sounds hollow.

What type of yeast are we talking about here?

You mention kneading on a surface, I was kind of trying to justify having spent money on the mixer, and hoped that the dough hook could be used so that I just throw the ingredients together, let it rise and then shape.

It is lazy, but I imagined the scenario where I get up early on a Saturday morning, throw in some ingredients, turn on the mixer, go do something useful, let it rise and then shove in the oven in time for lunch. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree, but that is the little idea I had imagined!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 527 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I use Allinsons easy bake yeast.

There are plenty of no knead recipes out there but the one I listed above is fairly foolproof and I have never had any problems using that recipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

@TireeTerror - if you go back through this thread there are lots of great recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What type of yeast are we talking about here?

You mention kneading on a surface, I was kind of trying to justify having spent money on the mixer, and hoped that the dough hook could be used so that I just throw the ingredients together, let it rise and then shape.

It is lazy, but I imagined the scenario where I get up early on a Saturday morning, throw in some ingredients, turn on the mixer, go do something useful, let it rise and then shove in the oven in time for lunch. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree, but that is the little idea I had imagined!

The mixer will knead it no problem for you. If a recipe calls for 10 minutes of kneading by hand then I usually give it about 5 minutes in the mixer.

My husband made a gorgeous white loaf last week using this recipe. That makes two smallish round loaves so he halved the recipe and made one. The picture is of a loaf from a tin but I have her book and she makes it into a round loaf.

[QUOTE get up early on a Saturday morning, throw in some ingredients, turn on the mixer, go do something useful, let it rise and then shove in the oven in time for lunch. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree, but that is the little idea I had imagined![/QUOTE]

There is going to be a lovely smell of bread, baking in your house on sat morning:)

Hi TT
    Congrats on your purchase, which stand mixer did you buy?
    Christmas 12 months ago i splashed out also(years threatening).
    Although i have used it much less than i thought i would for bread, its a busy cake maker, it really is good to take the kneading aspect out of the process. Personally i just love to get the dough on the counter and get lost in the kneading and developing.

Some things i found helpful was, i would mix all the dry ingred in the mixer bowl,add the water and oil and just get it together with a wooden spoon first, i found i could get the right consistency before getting the dough hook spinning. With sometimes a small amount of flour added to tweak.

I wouldnt walk away from the mixer for to long(timer maybe) as it is possible to over knead quicker in a stand mixer.

I gave the dough and initial prove of 30 mins before mixing,then 3-5 min on the hook, rest for 8-10 mins, 3-5 mins on the hook, onto the counter,light knead to gather, rest 10-15, form loaves and onto baking sheet/tin/shallow dish lined with floured linen towel, prove until doubled in size or when poked with your finger leaves a print that comes back a little.

Maybe try a bread initially with just strong white flour,water,yeast,oil and salt. Then experiment with the introduction of,or part of with milk,buttermilk,eggs,addition of fruits,herbs and spices(sky is the limit) etc which all yeild many fantastic different breads.

I will always do a min of 1kg batch,while the oven is on ye know :)
    My basic white loaf,halved;

500grms strong white flour
    330-340mls warm water
    7grms yeast(mc dougalls sachet)
    1 teasp sugar(optional)
    1 teasp salt
    1 tablsp olive oil

Dont forget to post a pic your bread art here:D
    Photo is two loaves from last night,same as above recipe with the addition of oat bran,wheatgerm and wholemeal flour making up the 500 grms.
    Hope this helps.
    GL

• Advertisement

Hi TT
    Congrats on your purchase, which stand mixer did you buy?
    Christmas 12 months ago i splashed out also(years threatening).
    Although i have used it much less than i thought i would for bread, its a busy cake maker, it really is good to take the kneading aspect out of the process. Personally i just love to get the dough on the counter and get lost in the kneading and developing.

Some things i found helpful was, i would mix all the dry ingred in the mixer bowl,add the water and oil and just get it together with a wooden spoon first, i found i could get the right consistency before getting the dough hook spinning. With sometimes a small amount of flour added to tweak.

I wouldnt walk away from the mixer for to long(timer maybe) as it is possible to over knead quicker in a stand mixer.

I gave the dough and initial prove of 30 mins before mixing,then 3-5 min on the hook, rest for 8-10 mins, 3-5 mins on the hook, onto the counter,light knead to gather, rest 10-15, form loaves and onto baking sheet/tin/shallow dish lined with floured linen towel, prove until doubled in size or when poked with your finger leaves a print that comes back a little.

Maybe try a bread initially with just strong white flour,water,yeast,oil and salt. Then experiment with the introduction of,or part of with milk,buttermilk,eggs,addition of fruits,herbs and spices(sky is the limit) etc which all yeild many fantastic different breads.

I will always do a min of 1kg batch,while the oven is on ye know :)
    My basic white loaf,halved;

500grms strong white flour
    330-340mls warm water
    7grms yeast(mc dougalls sachet)
    1 teasp sugar(optional)
    1 teasp salt
    1 tablsp olive oil

Dont forget to post a pic your bread art here:D
    Photo is two loaves from last night,same as above recipe with the addition of oat bran,wheatgerm and wholemeal flour making up the 500 grms.
    Hope this helps.
    GL

Lovely looking bread there!

I bought a Kenwood Major Pro, here is the same one in Nisbets. I only paid €400 for it as there was a sale on in Power City just before Christmas. It is actually a bit large for small things if I am honest, but with the red emergency STOP button, I just couldn't resist the temptation to buy it. I hope to have it most of my lifetime, so I see it as an investment. I would rather have it sitting there and not require it, than need it and it not be there.

http://www.nisbets.ie/kenwood-major-pro-mixer-kmp771/GF362/ProductDetail.raction

Advertisement