Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Bread Bakers' Recipes (Add your own!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Nice machine, it is a long term investment alright.
    It was between the kenwood or the kitchenaid for me,went with KA and paid E425 for it. Very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lovely looking bread there!

I bought a Kenwood Major Pro, here is the same one in Nisbets. I only paid €400 for it as there was a sale on in Power City just before Christmas. It is actually a bit large for small things if I am honest, but with the red emergency STOP button, I just couldn't resist the temptation to buy it. I hope to have it most of my lifetime, so I see it as an investment. I would rather have it sitting there and not require it, than need it and it not be there.

http://www.nisbets.ie/kenwood-major-pro-mixer-kmp771/GF362/ProductDetail.raction

I have the kenwood major as well, the tips earlier about the dough hook from genuine leather are good. I found the dough would just work its way up the hook onto the top of the machine. Had to keep poking it down. I find I need to do double qtys in the Major (two loaves at a time) and set the speed to where it is quite high. You'll know when it's about right when the dough makes a slapping noise off the side of the machine, and you think the machine is going to go for a walk along your counter. :)

Buonasera bakers.
    Always experimenting with different ingred and methods.
    And forget many because i dont jot it down,sure ill remember that:rolleyes:.

This recent bread is a keeper.
    Its a no knead yeast bread cooked in a pre heated cast iron pot(pyrex is good also) with approx 20 hrs proving all in.
    Its a strong flour (80%)/ wholemeal(20%) mix with wheatgerm,oatbran,seeds,fruit,brown sugar,
    olive oil, salt sprinkled on top to dissolve until final shaping of the dough.
    Its a higher hydration bread, approx 75 percent with only 2 grms of yeast used.
    Cooking in the pot just gives any bread a fantastic crust and crumb.
    Soda breads are devine cooked this way.
    Just remember to be so so careful when handling the hot cast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

x

Evening bakers.

The heating element went in the oven so i decided to do some
    griddlebread. I dont do it that often(eat too much:P) so its always a lovely treat and flavour.
    Its a basic recipe of self raising,buttermilk,salt,1/2 teaspoon bicarb, and a wee bit of melted butter.
    Plain flour is perfect to use also with an extra bit of bicarb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Just wanted to say Genuine Leather, I don't bake bread very often because our oven is rubbish (and because I'd just wrap the entire loaf around a 1lb block of Kerrygold and eat it in a scene reminiscent of a snake swallowing a goat) so I don't post in this threat but I love your posts & photos. And I'm hungry for bread now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kathleen63

Brown Bread Recipe
    4 cups 16oz 480g Wholemeal Flour
    2 cups 8oz 250g Irish white flour or unbleached soft flour (NOT bread flour)
    1 teaspoon 2 level teaspoons Bread (Baking) soda
    1 teaspoon 2 level teaspoons Salt
    2½ cups 1 pint 0.75 litres Buttermilk or sour milk

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have an extremely simple white bread recipe that I'll whip up if I want some fresh buns for pulled pork, or bread rolls for dinner, or sometimes even a plain white loaf:

400g strong white flour
    220ml milk
    a good knob of butter
    a teaspoon of salt
    a pinch of sugar
    a packet of instant yeast

My favourite approach is to dump all the ingredients into the bread machine on the "dough" program, come back in an hour and a half and remove the nicely risen dough, knock it back, shape it, and bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes (depending on size) at 180⁰C.

If you don't have a bread machine, warm the milk, butter and sugar in the microwave until it's lukewarm, sprinkle the yeast on top and leave it until it's foamy. Mix the salt and flour together, make a well and pour in the milk and mix to a soft dough. Turn it out and knead for about ten minutes, then leave it to prove in a warm place until it's doubled in size. Continue as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

1.5 pounds wholemeal flour (I use Howard's Extra Coarse Stonemeal Ground - Dunnes Stores carry it)
    3 dessertspoons bran (I use oat bran for the anti-cholesterol qualities :))
    3 dessertspoons wheat germ
    1.5 tsps bread soda
    1.5 tsps brown sugar, honey or treacle - whatever you like and have on hand
    1.5 pints buttermilk
    1.5 tsps salt
    3 eggs
    1.5 dessertspoons olive oil
    Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds/flax seeds, pinhead oatmeal, sesame seeds (whatever you have handy - a few handfuls of each or whatever you have gives a lovely texture).

Mix dry ingredients together well, (I mix the bread soda with the wet ingredients) then mix everything together very well. Divide between two well greased/buttered loaf tins (I always save butter wrappers, they line the loaf tins perfectly and the loaves never stick). Sprinkle the tops with extra sunflower seeds and press gently to stick - optional. Bake for 50 - 55 minutes at 190 - 200 C. Turn the loaves over, remove the wrappers and bake upside down in the tins for a further 6 - 8 minutes. Wrap in clean tea towels for a softer crust and leave to cool.

I hope whoever tries this recipe has great luck with it. My Dad is famously known for commenting that it's lovely and nutty and would scour the barnacles off your colon. Don't let that turn you off though 'cos it's actually a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

janmaree wrote: »
    1.5 pounds wholemeal flour (I use Howard's Extra Coarse Stonemeal Ground - Dunnes Stores carry it)
    3 dessertspoons bran (I use oat bran for the anti-cholesterol qualities :))
    3 dessertspoons wheat germ
    1.5 tsps bread soda
    1.5 tsps brown sugar, honey or treacle - whatever you like and have on hand
    1.5 pints buttermilk
    1.5 tsps salt
    3 eggs
    1.5 dessertspoons olive oil
    Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds/flax seeds, pinhead oatmeal, sesame seeds (whatever you have handy - a few handfuls of each or whatever you have gives a lovely texture).

Mix dry ingredients together well, (I mix the bread soda with the wet ingredients) then mix everything together very well. Divide between two well greased/buttered loaf tins (I always save butter wrappers, they line the loaf tins perfectly and the loaves never stick). Sprinkle the tops with extra sunflower seeds and press gently to stick - optional. Bake for 50 - 55 minutes at 190 - 200 C. Turn the loaves over, remove the wrappers and bake upside down in the tins for a further 6 - 8 minutes. Wrap in clean tea towels for a softer crust and leave to cool.

I hope whoever tries this recipe has great luck with it. My Dad is famously known for commenting that it's lovely and nutty and would scour the barnacles off your colon. Don't let that turn you off though 'cos it's actually a good thing!
    I gave this a go today. The regular recipe I use has all the same ingredients but in different quantities so I figured I'd try your one. It's great. Much nicer than the recipe I use. I'll definitely be using your one in future. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Thank you for letting me know; I'm delighted that you like it, I'm a happy bunny now after a pretty tough day! I meant to mention that it freezes very well too so I make a batch of loaves, halve them in freezer bags and take one out the night before. Perfectly defrosted by morning and ready to go. Thanks again! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Does anyone know where I can buy real yeast by mail order ?

Thanks

Hi flynnboy.
    Amazon and ebay seem to sell it.
    Its something i have not used that often.
    I tend to use dried yeast/sourdough starter/pre ferments and i find the dried yeast is grand for most of the yeast breads.

I thought a friend bought fresh yeast in tesco recently enough, i could be doting!
    If not you could get friendly with the baker in store, they may be kind enough to give you some fresh yeast, worth a shot.
    There is also the Irish Yeast Company,College St, Dublin.
    http://builtdublin.com/shopfront-6-college-street-dublin-2/
    (nice clip :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Your griddle bread looks fantastic genuineleather! Would you mind posting the recipe for it - I'd love to give it a try!

Well, GL, it's a long story...but, I recently had a forray into SD and it didn't work, and so I have gone back to my yeast bread. With dried yeast I am convinced that some sachets are not as good as others, because despite my constant recipe each loaf seems to be different !? And I am wanting consistency. I reckon real yeast will be better than dried for that.

I know I can get it from Shipton Mills in the UK but at a 16 Euro delivery surcharge for Eire.... no thanks. !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

flynnboy wrote: »
    Well, GL, it's a long story...but, I recently had a forray into SD and it didn't work, and so I have gone back to my yeast bread. With dried yeast I am convinced that some sachets are not as good as others, because despite my constant recipe each loaf seems to be different !? And I am wanting consistency. I reckon real yeast will be better than dried for that.

I know I can get it from Shipton Mills in the UK but at a 16 Euro delivery surcharge for Eire.... no thanks. !

If you're near Letterkenny there's a Parcel Motel there. That only costs €3.95 on top of whatever the post is within the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Took me several weeks to perfect this recipe:

7g active dried yeast
    25ml Lukewarm water
    33g rolled Oats
    235ml / 8 fl oz Milk
    5ml / 1 tsp Salt
    25ml / 1 fl oz Oil
    25g light brown Sugar
    15ml / 1 tbsp Honey
    1 egg (lightly beaten)
    13g Wheatgerm
    90g Soya Flour
    175g Wholemeal Flour
    225g Strong Flour

Combine the yeast and water, stir and leave to dissolve for about 15 minutes. Place the oats in a large bowl. Scald the milk, and then pour over the oats. Stir in the Salt, Oil, Sugar and Honey. Leave until lukewarm.

Stir in the yeast mixture, Egg, Wheatgerm, Soya and Wholemeal Flours. Gradually stir in enough strong flour to obtain rough dough. Transfer to a floured surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Punch down the risen dough and knead briefly. Cover and leave to rise again until double in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the Oven to 190⁰C. Bake for about 45 minutes.

The Wheatgerm and Soya Flour can be replaced with different flours such as Rye, Cornmeal, buckwheat or Barley for different flavours.

If you're near Letterkenny there's a Parcel Motel there. That only costs €3.95 on top of whatever the post is within the UK.

Letterkenny is not too far, can you elaborate on contact details ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Letterkenny is not too far, can you elaborate on contact details ?

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

Parcel Motel provide you with a UK (Northern Ireland) address which you have your item sent to, then they deliver it to the location nearest to you. It's a bank of lockers usually beside a garage or shop. You key in the number they send you and your phone number and a locker pops open. It's a brilliant facility, it's been around for a couple of years now and they're all over the country.

...except Westport.

/shakes fist

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...except Westport.

/shakes fist

Looking at their location map they could spread themselves out a bit. We have 2 within a couple of miles of us here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Looking at their location map they could spread themselves out a bit. We have 2 within a couple of miles of us here in Dublin.

Dublin has a population density 60 times that of Mayo, I doubt it would be economic for Parcel Motel to set up anywhere in Mayo.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Dublin has a population density 60 times that of Mayo, I doubt it would be economic for Parcel Motel to set up anywhere in Mayo.

...apart from the two locations (Castlebar and Ballina) where it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...apart from the two locations (Castlebar and Ballina) where it already is.

I still doubt the economics!

Your griddle bread looks fantastic genuineleather! Would you mind posting the recipe for it - I'd love to give it a try!

Hi baby builder

Sure, this quantity will make two griddle breads.

500 grmms plain flour( self raising can be used with less bread soda)
    330-350 mls buttermilk
    1 teasp salt
    1 teasp bread soda
    30-50 grmms marg/butter or 2 tablesp olive oil.

Use a heavy based, dry pan, that needs to be preheated. This is where, depending on your pan/heat source, you have to use your own judgement on how hot the pan is. The griddles will be cooking for about 7-8 mins per side.
    I aim for slightly less than 3/4 of full heat if that makes sence:) Ovens vary so much.

Mix dry ingred, rub in marge/butter or whisk the oil through the butter milk.
    Add and mix gently to form a firm but just sticky dough( i will always err on the side of a slightly wetter dough than drier) flour,gather and lightly knead to form a round, devide in two, and form two more rounds.

Let them rest for a few minutes. Then on a lightly floured surface, start patting the dough down gently, flip it over repeat, until it is about 9 inches in diameter and 1 inch in depth.

Place on the heated pan and gently press and shape it in.
    A few minutes in give the bread a shuffle on the pan, if the pan is not to heavy you can turn the bread quickly onto your palm to have a look at how its cooking, you can slide something underneath for a peak also. 7-8 minutes approx per side. Cool on a wire rack...if it makes it that far....! Cue> Kerrygold!!

You can cook to your liking, extra few minutes(slightly lower heat from the start) to get a nice crust....mmm.

Enjoy..please post a photo bb.

Thats a good point flynnboy, i have only ever used the one dried yeast(McDougalls) tbh so i have found it fairly consistent. I agree,many, if not all the breads i make have that slight difference, be it in crumb, texture, crust. There are so many variables with bread making at home.

Like to hear your feedback when you get rockin with the fresh stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Shipton mill and parcel motel can be a bit hit and miss.
    Weight wise it's right on the limit and if amazon use an oversized box you end up having to collect from the depot.
    Happened me once, box was too big, and had to collect at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Do artisan bakers use odlums strong flour for their bread or do they import from Europe?
    I am trying to bake a loaf with big holes, dry crumb . I am getting the flavour but not the holes. I think I might be punching it down to much.
    The bread in the oven is a 20 hr, 70% water and gentle shaping. Let's see what happens.

Not sure,but i guess its up there with the most popular/used flour.
    I do find variations in flour quality, same brand, mother natures seasons( and economics) .

20 hours,70% hydration, gentle handling, sounds good.
    Do you slide the bread into a preheated oven, or are they already in loaf tins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I put it on a tray and when it was ready put it in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes, spraying it a couple of times. Then I turned the oven down to 200 for half an hour. Tapped it hollow but when it was cooled the crust went soft so I think I should have left it another while in the oven, there was still moisture within. The bread itself was a bit rubbery, ciabatta-like,but good flavour and dried out nicely on the second day. The holes were neat, smaller than I want so I will read up a bit more and try again this weekend

Advertisement