Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Bread Bakers' Recipes (Add your own!)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

can I ask bakers here about what yeasts they use? I've been experimenting with Neapolitan pizza bases lately and have had good success by using 65% hydration, 00 flour, 7g yeast and just salt. I left it covered at room temp for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 5 days. Was really happy with the results but now I want to try using fresh yeasts but know little about them. Theres so many out there I'm unsure what I should be looking for to improve my results.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Not sure what you mean by fresh yeast.
    The putty like substance you get in bakeries, or the wild yeast you pick up from the atmosphere?

Your method is new to me, I haven't come across a 5 day old dough. How did you keep it alive? How long did you bake it for?

My pizza is usually the quick dough, it's always a last minute whim! Bread though is usually a 24 hour baby minimum, 65%water to a kilo of flour and half tsp instant yeast cos it's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Muahahaha wrote: »
    can I ask bakers here about what yeasts they use? I've been experimenting with Neapolitan pizza bases lately and have had good success by using 65% hydration, 00 flour, 7g yeast and just salt. I left it covered at room temp for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 5 days. Was really happy with the results but now I want to try using fresh yeasts but know little about them. Theres so many out there I'm unsure what I should be looking for to improve my results.

When I'm not making a sourdough, I always try to use fresh yeast rather than dried for my bread and though it doesn't make a superior loaf, it does make a different one. I spent ages trying to find a place to buy fresh yeast without success but then found it very easy to get in Polish supermarkets who always have a supply of small blocks of about 50g for about 40 cents each. Depending on whether you usually use an instant or a dried yeast, you can get a conversion to fresh yeast quantities easily on a google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Where has this thread been all my life?? :D I got a present of a breadmaker about 6 months ago and have been in bread heaven since. We stopped buying sliced pans a few months ago, I just pop the ingredients in and switch it on before I go to bed and voila- delicious loaf ready for breakfast :D

Where do ye all buy strong flour? And where is the cheapest to buy it? I know from other recipe forums that Lidl sell it in England but I've never seen it in their shops here. The only 2 I've found are the Tesco own brand one at €1.69 for 1.5 kg and Odlums at €3.19 for 2kg. I would love to find it cheaper or at least in bigger packets so I'm not constantly going to the shop for it.

Advertisement