Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a modern IT department look like?

Options
  • 16-06-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I am finding it really hard to find info on this... how does a modern IT department run these days? What is cutting edge? In particular I'm wondering how they set things up for users

Do they have all the user workstations virtualised? So that they power on the machine and then connect to virtual desktops?
    Do they let users bring in their own devices and connect to the network from there?

How does Google/Facebook run their IT dept? What kind of policies do they have?

If you know of any websites let me know xD

Edit: I've worked at a company like this before:
    - When they decided to migrate to Windows 7, they had a guy install the OS by hand on 300+ machines
    - When a user wanted to move desks, we were asked to move their whole machine because they didn't have roaming profiles
    - Almost everything extra that a user needs is installed locally using an administrator password
    - Active directory not really used at all
    - Powershell, what's that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

cio.com

Desktop and app virtualisation would be fairly cutting edge however desktop virtualisation is hugely expensive, and not really viable for a lot of companies, a desktop coming in at about 500 - 600 euros (inc an office licence) is still more economical.

BYOD is a bit of a marketing ploy, although I can see the attraction of giving an cash incentive to employees to bring their laptops to work, you need to have a robust secure infra behind it, the bread and butter is still PCs and unless there is a huge budget or the tech comes down I can't see that changing any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There are commands that can be used to add users using a .CSV file (from excel) which active directory will add, remove or disable accounts, powershell is a very powerful tool only on the third release and newer versions of server operating systems rely on it heavily (+08) , again depending on the knowledge and time available to the admin, most tasks can be automated using powershell, but if you have a stressed IT dept sometimes the quickest way to get something out or resolved is by the old fashioned roll out / getting the hands dirty.

Advertisement