Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a dog when at work?

• 17-06-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

My brother's just bred his dog to his bitch for their first litter, and I'd love to take one of the puppies. Thing is, I'm away for about 11 hrs four days a week (ie 4 x 10hr workdays and 1/2 hour commute each way).

So, what is the story on dogs and working? If the dog has a secure run to run around in and a kennel or similar to lie down/shelter from the weather, then is it OK to leave them unattended while at work? Outside of work, I don't have a problem with finding time to walk/train the dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

11 hours seems too long for a dog to be on his own even if you're home 3 days a week. Do you live alone? Can anyone mind the dog for a bit while you're away? If not i think you shouldn't get a dog. They're social animals and love company. I know if my dog was left that long I'd come home to find him stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

My opinion is that you can't do that to a puppy. I myself work which is why I got a dog who was 11 months when I got him and people could have a go at me for that but I believe it is reasonable.
    Puppies need people around, an 8 week old needs people there most of the time.
    I'm not trying to be judgemental but a pup needs family and people around to learn what they are.
    A pup after 8 weeks is like a toddler, they need minding and to learn, a pup at 8 to 12 months is like a teenager, they can be independent and really bond with their people without them being there all the time.
    Would it be possible for the puppy to grow into a young adult with your brother with the understanding you will take the pup when older?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lima Golf wrote: »
    11 hours seems too long for a dog to be on his own even if you're home 3 days a week.

I was afraid you'd say that!
    Do you live alone?

Yep.
    Can anyone mind the dog for a bit while you're away?

Looks like that's what I need to find out!
    If not i think you shouldn't get a dog.

I was afraid you'd say that too!
    They're social animals and love company. I know if my dog was left that long I'd come home to find him stressed out.

Meteoric wrote: »
    ...Would it be possible for the puppy to grow into a young adult with your brother with the understanding you will take the pup when older?

I haven't even broached the subject with him yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I work from home and a lot of my neighbors leave their dogs alone for the day. Almost all of the dogs are very obviously extremely stressed as they bark and whine from the time their owners leave until they come home again. I do not think you should get a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

I haven't even broached the subject with him yet!
    You could have a dog, you could be a good dog owner, you cannot get a puppy and have a happy dog, puppies need interaction, think what would happen if you took any baby from it's mum once it was weaned and just left it alone all day without anyone else? How messed up would it be. Even if you get someone to come in and feed the puppy the 2 times it needs food while you are at work (puppies need 4 feeds a day) they need playing with and talking to.
    You are a good person to ask the question and it is possible to work and have a dog, just not a puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My brother's just bred his dog to his bitch for their first litter, and I'd love to take one of the puppies. Thing is, I'm away for about 11 hrs four days a week (ie 4 x 10hr workdays and 1/2 hour commute each way).

So, what is the story on dogs and working? If the dog has a secure run to run around in and a kennel or similar to lie down/shelter from the weather, then is it OK to leave them unattended while at work? Outside of work, I don't have a problem with finding time to walk/train the dog.

They're cute now but when you come home to find its wee'd and poo'd all over the place while you were at work, or been barking all day out of loneliness, or has ate your chairs/skirting board/couch because it felt it was great Craic & no one told it not to for 10 hours, then you may see that it's not such a great plan.

The others are right - really it just isn't a runner with a pup. If your brother will take it & mind it for the 3 days you are in work yih have a good chance but if your shift changes etc tiu will be back to square one.

Fair dues to you for asking, but it'd be like leaving a toddler alone for 10 hours every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

How about - let the pup stay at your brother's till he's older, but fetch him for the three days that you are home? Or would it be viable to pick the pup up after work each day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Where do you live? There are doggy day care facilities popping up all over the country now that could help. 11 hours a day is a long time to be working when you have a dog, what kind of dog is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Sorry to say I agree with the others. I got a 6 month old Rottie and left her alone while I was at work - I'd walk her first thing in the morning, then go to work at 9, home by 5.30, but she was still a complete lunatic by the time I got home. Then one day I came home and she was gone - I was hysterical. She had managed to get out of my garden, which I'd just spent a small fortune having fenced, but she had all day to figure out how to get out. Luckily we found her, by some miracle, in Ballymun. I re-homed her after that, it just wasn't fair on her and she was getting bolder and bolder. She's now living in Laytown, getting walked on the beach twice a day, her retired new owner dotes on her and sends me videos of her to show me how well she's doing. She's still a lunatic, just a happier one now.

I have since adopted a 6 year old German Shepherd, who is quite happy at home on his own all day, we go for walks in the morning and when I get home. Then he potters around the garden for the day. My neighbour keeps an eye on him for me and lets me know if anything is wrong. I just think leaving a puppy for that length of time would only leave you both frustrated and upset, and I say that out of experience. I know I'll never get a puppy again, its older dogs all the way for me. They're so much easier.

Good luck with whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*ahem* ... *clears throat*.... *assumes position of grandiose expert on the topic*...

Well now... so...let me fill you IN! :):)
    (I know exactly what you are asking. You are basically where I was 2 years ago!) If you want to catch up on your reading my first thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150557

and the follow up thread to complete the story is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056806248

The short answer is unfortunately, no, its no where near possible if you are doing it on your own (I'm also a "single parent" in the dog stakes). I know how much you want to but the realistic answer is that its not fair on him and it will be a lot of work for you. Dogs dont walk themselves so your new friend will still need a walk after you finish work for example. When you get home, he will have slept half the day and will be bonkers to play... while you will probably want to put your feet up.

My fella Josh gets bored after a few hours alone and then the antics start. :)

If you could sort out something for him during the days when you are away for 11 hours then it might be possible (as others have said). The impact a dog has on your life shouldnt be underestimated either. Feeding them, washing them occasionally, managing care while you are away, lack of being able to arbitraraily decide things like going to the pub after the match because someone has to feed him etc. These are real impacts on your freedom and time.

It took a major change in my circumstances (eg: being able to work from home) to be able to take Josh on and its still been a lot of work. Being a single parent is the hardest part because you simply have no one else to take on the strain on days when, for whatever reason, you cant/dont want to handle it. Its 7 days a week, all week, every week.

11 hours on his own is pretty much solitary confinement for a puppy and he'll go bat**** insane if he doesnt have company. Its a recipe for behavioral problems imho. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think by now that the OP has gotten the message that leaving a dog for 11 hours/day is just not an option.

We recently went away for 2 days, on an unscheduled trip abroad. Our usual dog sitter wasnt available, so a very kind neighbour, who the dogs know, said she would take care of the dogs. It was thurs/fri last week - i.e. VERY wet, so she couldnt let the dogs out in the garden for a few hours in the afternoon, and could only manage v.short walks, but came by 3 or 4 times each day. We arrived in from the airport at midnight to find the dogs totally manic/stressed, with four seperate piles of poo hidden around the house :D The house stank of dog and they havent let me out of their sight since. Totally upset. I know my lot are spoiled rotten, and we prefer to use a dog-sitter because of 2 elderly dogs, and leave them in their own home, but horrible to think of them here on their own all day (lamps on timers and radio left on) missing their humans so much :( Dogs just love their routine, it must be really disconcerting to them when everything is different

They're cute now but when you come home to find its wee'd and poo'd all over the place while you were at work, or been barking all day out of loneliness, or has ate your chairs/skirting board/couch ...

The pup/dog would be in a secure outdoor yard, with shelter available. Not indoors.

... If your brother will take it & mind it for the 3 days you are in work ...
    How about - let the pup stay at your brother's till he's older, but fetch him for the three days that you are home? Or would it be viable to pick the pup up after work each day?

Brother lives 200 miles away, so that's not a runner. I have aunt, uncles and cousins nearby, though, so that might be a possibility. Also a few of the neighbours have dogs of their own, so it might be worth finding out which ones have someone at home during the day...

Basically I'm only thinking out loud at the moment, though! :)

DeVore wrote: »
    *ahem* ... *clears throat*.... *assumes position of grandiose expert on the topic*...

Well now... so...let me fill you IN! :):)
    (I know exactly what you are asking. You are basically where I was 2 years ago!) If you want to catch up on your reading my first thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150557

and the follow up thread to complete the story is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056806248

Nearly 500 posts between the two... No, thanks!

I'll just take your tl;dr version below!
    DeVore wrote: »
    The short answer is unfortunately, no, its no where near possible if you are doing it on your own (I'm also a "single parent" in the dog stakes). I know how much you want to but the realistic answer is that its not fair on him and it will be a lot of work for you. Dogs dont walk themselves so your new friend will still need a walk after you finish work for example. When you get home, he will have slept half the day and will be bonkers to play... while you will probably want to put your feet up.

My fella Josh gets bored after a few hours alone and then the antics start. :)

If you could sort out something for him during the days when you are away for 11 hours then it might be possible (as others have said). The impact a dog has on your life shouldnt be underestimated either. Feeding them, washing them occasionally, managing care while you are away, lack of being able to arbitraraily decide things like going to the pub after the match because someone has to feed him etc. These are real impacts on your freedom and time.

It took a major change in my circumstances (eg: being able to work from home) to be able to take Josh on and its still been a lot of work. Being a single parent is the hardest part because you simply have no one else to take on the strain on days when, for whatever reason, you cant/dont want to handle it. Its 7 days a week, all week, every week.

11 hours on his own is pretty much solitary confinement for a puppy and he'll go bat**** insane if he doesnt have company. Its a recipe for behavioral problems imho. :/

muddypaws wrote: »
    ... what kind of dog is it?

Hungarian vizsla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry, OP, you simply can't leave a pup for that long, it's a recipe for disaster. Especially with such an active breed.

If you're dead set on a dog you could look at adopting an older pair, but rescues are unlikely to rehome them to somewhere they'll be alone 11 hours a day. As DeVore said; when you get home from work they still have to be walked and played with, trained and groomed. If I were you I'd wait until work hours were more suitable or you had someone who could look after the dog while you're at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

You need to watch Marley and me and see the destruction a dog can get up to when left home alone!

Not fair on a pup. A cat would be more suitable for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Quality wrote: »
    You need to watch Marley and me and see the destruction a dog can get up to when left home alone!

Not fair on a pup. A cat would be more suitable for you!

I live alone & am the proud 'owner' of the laziest dog in Ireland.....a 6 year old basset. He has the most god awful seperation aniexty & even though he sleeps for 23.5 hours if Im here I get a girl to come take him out during the day when Im at work just for the company (Im sure he just sits down & she rubs him but thats fine)
    However a high energy breed such as you are considering Im doubtful even at 6 will be lazy. Maybe consider a adult in a different breed?

I've an Akita and he's left alone for 10 hours Monday - Friday. I walk him every evening and he's perfectly content to stay at home and mind the house. It's a routine for him and he loves it.

When I got him as a puppy, I took a week off work and my girlfriend took a week off work and my folks used to call down to him until he was about 6 months old.

It can work but I did have the help of the folks popping down to him until he was 6 months old...after which he was getting too big and boisterous for my folks anyway.

PS: Crate training will resolve most destruction issues until the dog is old enough to handle his surroundings without wrecking the place. Don't talk to people who don't understand this, they'll deem it as cruel. It's not cruel, dogs love a den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If you plan on leaving a puppy locked outside for 11 hours a day then no, do not get one. People need to learn that it is both unfair and unsafe to leave puppies, especially recognised breeds, alone and unattended in an accessible area. A puppy is totally unsuitable for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The pup/dog would be in a secure outdoor yard, with shelter available. Not indoors.

So that's much worse.

Answer = basic. No.

THey may be cute and you may really want one, but it is simply animal cruelty.

pARTICULARLY with a high energy
    intelligent hunting Dog like that.

How can you think that won't be cruel?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Are there any particular breeds of dog that are not high-energy that would be better suited to being left while their owner is at work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not as puppies, and generally not for that long. No breed of dog enjoys isolation. They're a pack species and they need company; spending 11 hours a day alone in a pen would be torture.

Some dogs are ok with being alone because it's part of their routine and they know when they can expect their humans home, but a puppy, especially a high energy breed, it will be driven to distraction with boredom.

Especially when locked outside. I don't know about anyone else, but my part of Ireland cant have predictable weather patterns over the course of 11 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Liccle trinity

There are companies out there that do dog walking for this exact reason. Would take the boredom out of the couple days you work. Im sure then it would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Liccle trinity

Oh and never it the dog outside all day. Apart from the barking, dog napping is rife at the moment. Purebreds or not, they are all at risk for baiting or breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I work 10 hours a day I have a jack russell and she is outside for the best part of 11 hours a day. She gets walked in the morning. She has her house outside if it rains and I give her plenty of toys so she wont get bored I see nothing wrong with leaving your dog out all day

• Advertisement

carly_86 wrote: »
    I work 10 hours a day I have a jack russell and she is outside for the best part of 11 hours a day. She gets walked in the morning. She has her house outside if it rains and I give her plenty of toys so she wont get bored I see nothing wrong with leaving your dog out all day

There is the minor issue of dogs getting stolen from back gardens. Never mind the fact that a puppy requires 4 feeds per day and can hardly get that if they are alone for 11 hours!

Advertisement