Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance Student

Options
  • 17-06-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Was reading about second chance student tonight and their entitlements to apply for the maintenance grant/free fees.
    I have a tricky situation. I received full grant/free fees in 2008 and did not complete the course.
    I returned to a different college in 2009, paid the registration fee but had to drop out In about dec 09 as I could not afford tuition fees .
    It gets worse, I saved for a year and returned in 2011 but without paying any fees , unforeseen family circumstances meant that may savings had to be put to other uses. I tried to make it up again but soon left the university again upon failing to pay any reg or tuition fees.

I only received a grant in 08, and my other attempts were practically non existent so I was hoping I might get away with 08 with regard to the 5 year rule. Is this remotely possible? Anybody know the ins and outs of this? If I'm looking at 2025 before I can apply for this then somebody just put me straight. Kills me that I've wasted too many years already but I can deal with it :(.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

minty16 wrote: »
    Was reading about second chance student tonight and their entitlements to apply for the maintenance grant/free fees.
    I have a tricky situation. I received full grant/free fees in 2008 and did not complete the course.
    I returned to a different college in 2009, paid the registration fee but had to drop out In about dec 09 as I could not afford tuition fees .
    It gets worse, I saved for a year and returned in 2011 but without paying any fees , unforeseen family circumstances meant that may savings had to be put to other uses. I tried to make it up again but soon left the university again upon failing to pay any reg or tuition fees.

I only received a grant in 08, and my other attempts were practically non existent so I was hoping I might get away with 08 with regard to the 5 year rule. Is this remotely possible? Anybody know the ins and outs of this? If I'm looking at 2025 before I can apply for this then somebody just put me straight. Kills me that I've wasted too many years already but I can deal with it :(.

Thanks folks.

If you were a registered student in 2011 then I dont think that your 5 years will be up

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

Does that include a springboard course,that was part time at night?I did it 2 years ago,but dropped out after a few weeks
    If you were a registered student in 2011 then I dont think that your 5 years will be up

dave011 wrote: »
    Does that include a springboard course,that was part time at night?I did it 2 years ago,but dropped out after a few weeks

I'm not sure but the 2009 course may rule you out as well

The best thing is to ring and ask both the dept of education and susi

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)

Tel: 0761 08 7874
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie

Higher Education Equity of Access

Department of Education and Skills
    Portlaoise Road
    Tullamore
    Co. Offaly
    Ireland

Tel:(057) 9325317
    Fax:(057) 9325435
    Homepage: http://www.education.ie/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy 88

Hi all,
    I'm in a similar situation, susi called me yesterday to say grant refused!!!! I studied a course from September 06 to may 09 but did not complete my degree due to personal circumstances. I applied this year and was not aware of 5 year rule,

I never received a grant at all for my first course and have been in full time employment last 4 years, is there any way this can be appealed?? This decision means I may not be able to go to college as I am a single mother!! Any help advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Andy 88 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm in a similar situation, susi called me yesterday to say grant refused!!!! I studied a course from September 06 to may 09 but did not complete my degree due to personal circumstances. I applied this year and was not aware of 5 year rule,

I never received a grant at all for my first course and have been in full time employment last 4 years, is there any way this can be appealed?? This decision means I may not be able to go to college as I am a single mother!! Any help advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Andy

The second chance student is in relation to two things

1 Fees
    2 Grants

SUSI : Reps replied here on grants
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85149146&postcount=3

It looks like you may not be eligible to be considered a second chance student for fees or grants because there has to be a 5 year gap

If you are not deemed a second chance student for fees or grants this means

A; You will have to pay full fees (potentially 5 or 6 thousand) see my explanation here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85067144&postcount=4 and
    B; You wont be eligible for a grant

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy 88

Hi Andy

The second chance student is in relation to two things

1 Fees
    2 Grants

SUSI : Reps replied here on grants
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85149146&postcount=3

It looks like you may not be eligible to be considered a second chance student for fees or grants because there has to be a 5 year gap

If you are not deemed a second chance student for fees or grants this means

A; You will have to pay full fees (potentially 5 or 6 thousand) see my explanation here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85067144&postcount=4 and
    B; You wont be eligible for a grant

Thanks so much for the info!!!
    It's so frustrating don't know what I'm going to at all and if its even possible now!!

I live in hope thanks :)

Advertisement