Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editors - The Weight Of Your Love

Options
  • 17-06-2013 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

New Album to be released on the 1st of July. First single A Ton Of Love:

Anyone else looking forward to this release? At least they have moved away from their experimental period (In This Light and on This Evening wasn't well received).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Been listening to it for the past 10 days or so (anti-downloaders go away) and to be honest, as a big Editors fan, I'm disappointed.

They changed a lot of the songs from their original versions. 'Nothing' has been completely downsized to a ballad from it's jumpy, exciting version they played at Werchter last year. A big mistake IMO. It's lost a lot in it's stripped down version. My favourite tracks are 'Hyena', 'Sugar' (thankfully they left that mostly the same from Werchter) and the mysterious, finally revealed 'Bird of Prey'.

For what it's worth I thought 'In This Light....' was really good. Was great to see a band take a chance on a new sound, and along with it crafted some great tracks. This feels like a watered down and softer sound than their earlier albums, the album feels like it's missing a heart, a lot of overproduced sounds on there with lots of 'Oohs and Aahs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Big fan here too and loved the last album, but this new single doesn't really do anything for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Come in Editors. Your time is up!

seachto7 wrote: »
    Come in Editors. Your time is up!

Don't think it's that bad, but I think their suffering from 'No Sound Like The Wind Syndrome', in that after changing completely from the original version to the piano one, and it getting featured on the 'Twilight' soundtrack, they have moved towards that softer ballady sound, which doesn't do a whole lot for me really. At least not collectively, they do ballads quite well, just don't need them in huge amounts on an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

serious Simple Minds / Achtung Baby vibe for me. Especially the guitar riff...jaysus I wouldn't have the balls to record that and call it my own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

The album is very mellow IMO, with the current single being one of the few "up tempo" songs on it.

I've had a few listens now and was initially not too impressed but it seems like it could be a bit of a grower.

I like this better than the single

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It's definitely growing on me alright. 'In this light...' took about two years to finally click with me so i guess this album is ahead of schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

The album is amazing, some of the lyrics are just fantastic. TOM SMITH IS A LAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been on a bit of an Editors binge for the week and I really like the new album.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Admittedly I've only listened to it through once but the album sounds bloody excellent. Really like it.

Edit: After three listens it's even better. The only dud is "The Phone Book", Tom might as well be reading from it. "Formaldehyde" is an awesome tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

been a fan for a while but this new single is terrible it does nothing for me , its to bland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've been listening to A Ton Of Love, non-stop over the last few days.

Keeping an open mind on the new album when it comes out though. Mixed reviews it seems.

A V A wrote: »
    been a fan for a while but this new single is terrible it does nothing for me , its to bland

I thought the same at first, but its growing on me a bit. Still don't think its as good as Papillion or An End Has A Start though.

id say it will grow in me after a few listen but its a shame that iv to nearly make myself like it lol

The piano version of Formaldehyde that comes with the "acquirable" album doing the rounds is absolutely fantastic.

Doesn't seem to be on the official deluxe edition though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Hyena is my favorite track on the album. It's on spotify now btw.

Tech3 wrote: »
    Hyena is my favorite track on the album.

As Interpol a song you'll get without actually being Interpol. Sounds like something off Our Love To Admire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

not a fan of the singers voice :(

It's not the direction I was hoping they would go and a lot of their sound has been simplified too much. It's common knowledge that Tom craves big mainstream success and after 'No Sound Like The Wind' getting on the Twilight soundtrack and it's reaction from some, he seems to be stuck on this soft twinkly way of doing songs. Completely ruined 'Nothing' compared to the previous live version, 'Two Hearted Spider' was fantastic live and it was toned down hugely. Chris leaving has left a hole in their music, the new album lacks heart.

I like 'Hyena', as Interpol covered as it is, like Xavi said. 'Bird of Prey' and 'Formaldehyde' are good too, although the live version of the latter is better. Some people didn't like their last album, I loved it. It was infinitely more creative and had a lot more substance than TWOYL.

in that 30 min clip of the making of the album they said they asked the guitarist to leave the band :eek::eek::eek: i was fcukin shocked i thought he had left the band. from the bassist he said that he didnt want to make the back room part 2 , which i wouldnt mind, so it sounds like the guitarist was bringing some ideas to the table that would refear to the back room part two, id say he was coming with ideas that was a continuation of the back room with guitar parts and a continuation of in this light!! which i honestly wouldnt of minded instead of the tripe they are after bringing out, its just simple **** rock music or "guitar based music" as tom put it in the interview

in that 30 min clip of the making of the album they said they asked the guitarist to leave the band :eek::eek::eek: i was fcukin shocked i thought he had left the band. from the bassist he said that he didnt want to make the back room part 2 , which i wouldnt mind, so it sounds like the guitarist was bringing some ideas to the table that would refear to the back room part two, id say he was coming with ideas that was a continuation of the back room with guitar parts and a continuation of in this light!! which i honestly wouldnt of minded instead of the tripe they are after bringing out, its just simple **** rock music or "guitar based music" as tom put it in the interview

Chris had been unhappy for a while apparently, he was all for ITLAOTE and supposedly wanted to combine Back Room type with the experimental sound but either Tom alone or Tom and the others wanted to simplify it and bring it down a notch. You can see the huge divide between Chris and the rest/Tom. Chris was involved in writing the original version of 'Nothing', miles better than the album version.

Also the original version of 'Two Hearted Spider'. I don't mind the album version too much but the original is still a lot better.

thanks you im so glad you showed me them two tracks!! and i am so pissed off that they asked him to leave because those 2 tracks sound great compared to the sh*t hey are after making with the new album !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

thanks you im so glad you showed me them two tracks!! and i am so pissed off that they asked him to leave because those 2 tracks sound great compared to the sh*t hey are after making with the new album !!!

I actually slightly prefer album version of two-hearted spider but that live version of Nothing is class and much better than album version. Strange they stripped it back so much.

im going to give the album a proper listen now !!!

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I actually slightly prefer album version of two-hearted spider but that live version of Nothing is class and much better than album version. Strange they stripped it back so much.

dont like the album version atall!!

Easy Rod wrote: »

I don't mind the album version of Two Hearted Spider too much but after hearing the original version ages ago, the album one feels kinda......empty. Hearing how they changed Nothing was so diappointing, I'm not sure why they feel when they have to change a song they have to strip it back almost completely, they've done this numerous times.

• Advertisement

I really like The Sting, pity they left it off the main album, guess I'll have to get the deluxe edition then!

Advertisement