Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Knockout match 7: Copper Pipe vs Redzerdog

• 17-06-2013 7:02am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

honestly thought i'd already started this...
    support-the-draft.gif

First off those two will get to reply showing us their teams and tactics for this fixture. Only after that will a poll be added for voting purposes. Please if you aren't competing here don't post until they have done their write ups too

You are to vote on which team you think would win in a straight Vs match up. What constitutes a team more likely to win is totaly up to each voters own discretion but perhaps you can be swayed by either posters write ups especially if you are not 100% familiar with a player in their team because after all any player from any era was eligible to be drafted in this draft so nobody is expected to recognize nor rate every single name.

all votes from boards.ie posters will be counted once the polls are added. However in the case of a tied vote only those votes from people who explained why they voted in such a way on thread will count.

people dont have to agree with each others opinions and the draftee's are bound to defend their teams chances but lets try and not go round in circles arguing people and try and keep it civil. Once the two draftees have posted their sides and the write ups to go with them I (or another mod)will add the Polls and 48hrs for voting will begin.

Good luck fellas and have at it!

Who's team would progress to the next round? 2 votes

Copper Pipe
    0%
    Redzerdog
    100%
    elefantahnowbrowncow 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Best of luck to Redzerdog!

abEYK0sabQ.jpg

Julio Cesar
    Leovegildo Lins da Gama Júnior
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Giorgio Cheillini
    Phil Neal
    Leonel Sanchez
    Gheroge Hagi
    Bobby Charlton
    Bruno Conti
    Pele
    Hugo Sanchez

Proper write up will be up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

abEYNJNahf.jpg
    Use this11.com for tactics for football

Will go through my team for now and will wait for CP to reply before argueing the merits of his team.

Goalkeeper
    Well there is not much I can say about Peter Schmeichel apart from he is the greatest keeper I have ever seen.

Defence
    Everyone seems to think they have the best defence in the draft but I think mine is up there with the best. In CB I have the best Defender I have ever seen play the game and he is rated as one of the very best CBs ever to play the game. He will oraganise things from the back, sweep up in behind and can carry the ball out if needed. Beside him I have the perfect partner in a peak Vidic, before he got injured he was the best CB on the planet and his comanding presence is the perfect foil for Baresi.

I have an excellent set of full backs firstly Philip Lahm has been the best fullback in the world for the best part of the last decade he can do everything needed of a fullback, can attack when needed and is rock solid in defence. At left back I have former Real Madrid and Spain left full Jose Camacho winning 9 league titles amongst others and is regarded as one of the very best left fulls to have ever played the game. To get him in round 10 was great considering some of the players who went before him.

Midfield
    Simeone and Gerson are a very well balanced partnership. Simeone will play as a dm and as we seen as the main man in Argintinas midfield throughout his career he can is a very rounded dm. His partner is World Cup winner Gerson who will play as a deep lying playmaker, this is the man that orchestrated Brazils world cup win in 1970 and he will control this game from CM. Again great value as a 9th round pick considering the CMs gone before him.

Figo and Giggs are perfect for my team. Figo at the turn of the century was the best player on the planet and unlike so many in this draft he was a natural winger. On the other side I have the most natural winger to play the game in Ryan Giggs and a peak Ryan Giggs was phenomenal. Any time of think of him I just remember that goal against Arsenal in 99.

Attack
    In the hole is the greatest ever player to play for Englands most successfull team, King Kenny Dalglish. I cant remember seeing him live but I have seen so many videos of this guy and he was something special. He played an integral part in 3 european cups and 6 league title for a dominant Liverpool team. He scored 260 goals in his career which is a great return from a second striker not to mention his countless assists. Although known for his attacking play he was well capable of dropping deap and digging out in midfield and Liverpool often used him this way during tough away trip in europe.

Romario is one of the greatest goal scorers to ever play the game. during the 1994 world cup he carried Brazil to win it and was the best player on the planet during this time. Prob the most natural goalscorer to ever play the game

Overall
    I think my team is well balanced and was planned out to be so. I can't understand picking players and then playing them out of position. With my team everyone is in their best position and the fluidity of the team in both defence and attack should be a match for anyone on their day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

poll added

my vote went to Redzer, two great teams with very few weaknesses but id almost agree with Redzer highlighting his as the best defense in the draft (even tho many have made similar claims) especially with the great Dane behind Baresi & Vidic. Even with Pele on the other side I think Romario and the Redzers boys might be more likely to score as a result of this strong defense and due to the fact that although Bobby Charlton & Hagi are both true greats neither is a DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is a toughie. Copper's attacking players with Redzer's defense would probably walk the draft, Sanchez and Pele would be amazing but the lack of anyone really at CM who would be proficient behind the ball is a huge weakness that I'm not sure can be overlooked. Though Charlton may have been able to do a job there. I'm calling a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Who would think I could ever vote against a team containing Pele!

But I think redsers defence/GK gives them the edge. And people forget how good Dalglish was in that position, cause he wasn't South American...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Redzer for me . Can't get past Charlton & Hagi in cm with no Dm behind them .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Good matchup but I have to go for Redzerdog. The lack of a defensive minded midfielder in Copper Pipe's midfield is worrying. Both good teams, but Redzerdog's has a bit more balance to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think the obvious weakness in CP's team is his centre midfield I just don't see how he can win the ball by playing two AM's in there, I think if someone like giles in there and this becomes a tougher match. But as it stands I think I would dominate possession and gerson would control the game and supply the passes for my very good attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I've gone for redzerdrog. His team is more balanced and his attack would overwhelm Copper Pipe's defence. Romario supplied by Dalglish is a threat that demands the highest caliber of defence. Cannavaro wasn't on the level of Nesta and Maldini, fine defender though he was and Chiellini is the same.

The midfield would belong to redzerdrog as well. Hagi was a playmaker and just won't win the ball back, and Charlton was also an attacking player first and foremost. Gerson and Simeone is a midfield that at least has a defensive game and Dalglish would be linking well with them too. Figo could also come off the line to add an interchanging element. Copper Pipe's lines are a little static by comparison.

From Leonel Sanchez's wiki, he's marked down as a left forward. This leaves Junior with Lahm and Figo potentially double teaming him. Sanchez's advanced positioning could be dangerous on the counter attack and Figo wouldn't provide the most solid of cover, but I feel that potential is outweighed by the possession that redzerdrog will enjoy and the damage the forward line would do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Great attacking team by copperpipe only problem would be geting the ball in the first place. midfield all attacking with no ball winner at all.
    alos junior was great going forward and played as playmaker at one stage in Italy, only one problem , he couldnt defend to save his life.

Have to go with Redzerdog just about and to be honest think will be knocked out next round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Redzer gets my vote . Main reason Charlton & Hagi in the middle with no one behind them is not gonna work

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Redzer gets my vote. One of the best defences I've seen in the draft, solid all round I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When you are looking for reasons to vote one way or the other, its hard to look past the obvious problems with what might otherwise be a quality team. Copper pipe has a massive bloody hole in the middle of his midfield, and how he didn't see it coming when doing the draft is beyond me. Just check out all the other teams, they have quality in the centre of the field with Rijjkaards, Gullits, Keanes, Robsons, Xavis and frankly Copper Pipes team will get destroyed by any of them.

Junior, Neal, and QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar are also very underwhelming picks, and my vote is going to Redzerdrog by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Copper Pipe has no midfield and the defence looks shaky when faced with Romario, Dalglish, Giggs and Figo. His attack is amazing, though. Shows you need balance when picking your players during the draft. All of your initial picks can't be spunked on strikers and wingers.

Went for Redzerog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Some truely great players on Copper Pipe's side but it's Redzerdog who has taken the last spot in the quarterfinals here

Advertisement