Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Knockout match 8: G.K vs Eli Manning

• 17-06-2013 7:21am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

$(KGrHqEOKkEE5U,GqSO6BOb!4NGtuw~~_35.JPG

First off those two will get to reply showing us their teams and tactics for this fixture. Only after that will a poll be added for voting purposes. Please if you aren't competing here don't post until they have done their write ups too

You are to vote on which team you think would win in a straight Vs match up. What constitutes a team more likely to win is totaly up to each voters own discretion but perhaps you can be swayed by either posters write ups especially if you are not 100% familiar with a player in their team because after all any player from any era was eligible to be drafted in this draft so nobody is expected to recognize nor rate every single name.

all votes from boards.ie posters will be counted once the polls are added. However in the case of a tied vote only those votes from people who explained why they voted in such a way on thread will count.

people dont have to agree with each others opinions and the draftee's are bound to defend their teams chances but lets try and not go round in circles arguing people and try and keep it civil. Once the two draftees have posted their sides and the write ups to go with them I (or another mod)will add the Polls and 48hrs for voting will begin.

Good luck fellas and have at it!

Who's team would progress to the next round? 9 votes

G.K
    0% 0 votes
    Eli Manning
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Eli Manning will not be here for a week (if he progresses ill give him the last QF) so G.K may have an advantage here but i'll still throw up Eli's team in a guess at a potential formation. If you think he would play a different formation by all means factor that in when you vote

abEYCBaano.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

abEYM8fadd.jpg

Sepp Maier: One of the best. Not the best, but right up there.

Mauro Tassotti: Milan’s ‘Djalma Santos’. Part of a legendary back 4 and capable in both attack and defence.

Elias Figueroa: Best ever player his country produced, recognised by a plethora of awards. But more importantly, great interceptor of the ball, competent distributor from the back and above all, a cool head.

Ruud Krol: The key defender of the Total Football Dutch team. In three successive teams of the tournament at major championships. As a player, he was first a great left back, then a great sweeper, so should partner Figueroa well. Another great player at starting attacks from the back.

Giacinto Facchetti: As good as a left back as there’s ever been. Particularly strong in attack, but also very competent in defense.

Luis Suarez: The Xavi of his day, elegant with the ball, an exquisite range of passing and a decent shot to boot, with 115 goals in 458 league games, a fair return from a deep midfielder. Has the bonus of knowing Facchetti’s game.

Pep Guardiola: We know all about him, another to dominate the tempo of the game with his passing. Between him and Suarez I should dominate possession against most teams.

Jairzinho: One of the finest right wingers to play the game, star of the 1970 World Cup where he scored every game. Has lots of trickery up his sleeve, can cut inside or go to the by-line. A useful player to have.

Nandor Hidegkuti: Puskas, Koscis and Czibor may have scored more of the goals, but Hidegkuti, in the withdrawn role, was what made the Magical Magyars tick. One of the first deep-lying forwards to cause real trouble, with his range of passing and his ability to finish with accuracy were what set him apart in the early 50’s, notably scoring a hat-trick against England in Wembley. Should provide many chances as a creator and the final man.

Zbigniew Boniek: Incredibly fast, very good at dribbling, Boniek won everything there is to win at club level, except the UEFA cup and the Italian Community Shield. In his pomp at Juve he was a key player, but also would run tirelessly for his team. Like Jairzinho, a player full of options.
    And this is all without namechecking the star man.

Johan Cruyff: Right up there with the best players ever (Tbh I’d only have Messi and maybe Maradona ahead of him). He had everything (Ok, he’s not renowned for his aerial ability but that’s not my team’s style of attack), and I could go on about his attributes here, but there’s no need. Originator of the False 9, he’ll perform that role, making space for the rest of the attack with aplomb.

Tactical specifcs may follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Eli Manning's team looks quite balances, good defense, good mix in middle of park , one good winger and one excelent one and teh strikers are top drawer.
    Va Basten was one of the most complete strikers of all time , he had everything. While Eusibo was a goal machine.
    GK also has very balanced team, but cant see where the goals will come from.
    His team would score some fab goals but IMHO not enough of them.
    Therefore vote to Eli Manning from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I don't understand Gk playing Cryuff as as a false 9 but playing a number 10 in behind him ?

If I was to play a false 9 I'd have 3 cms with maybe one given the licence to get forward past Cryuff but playing Hidegkuti in behind him I think takes away from the team , I'd want Cryuff on the ball as much as possible & I think Hidegkuti would get in his way . That's a negative for me .

Hidegkuti can charge forward to score, which he did to great aplomb against England. Your point's kinda valid tbh though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Can you run forward? Then Cruyff can link with you. People getting in each other's way won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

It's a tight one, I'm swaying towards Eli's team, very well balance with a brilliant forward line.

Both solid teams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My random thoughts on the teams:

GK:

- Looks like the manager was more concerned with displaying his knowledge of older players than assembling a draft winning team.
    - You scored a hat trick against England in the fifties? Thats it? Whoop de do.
    - Cruyff is wasted, should have picked one of the many many top strikers available and played Cruyff off him.
    - You ain't dominating possession against most teams, no matter that you say you will.

Eli Manning:

- Eusabio and Van Basten are proper legends, but did you need both? I don't think so, and more to the point taking both has left you weakened further back.
    - Big imbalance in the midfield, leaving a massive reliance on Jorginho to supply the width. Thats a problem, especially against the pace of Boniek. Jorginho can't drift too far away from him.
    - Maldini, Baresi, Sammer, Krol, or...Vincent Kompany. Nah, not seeing it.
    - Robben is too flaky for a game like this.

Little to choose between these teams, and its not hard to see that I'm not overly impressed by either. Going to vote for GK though, they should have enough for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Too many of GK's players that I have simply no reference point to their style of play and general strengths, other than from Wiki. As such, it was always going to be tough for him.

Kompany is an odd choice for Eli in that he's had a few good seasons at City but is not one of the 32 best CBs ever. The lack of width isn't a huge problem as Jorginho will get up and down and Falcao is disciplined enough to slot in there if Rivelino and Jorginho make runs upfield or infield.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Battle of the oldies this. Eli's team must be one of the least modern as well as G.K.'s.

I've gone for Eli. G.K.'s team probably doesn't work quite as well together. As said, playing a #10 with a false 9 is a bit strange. Gullit or Falcao can sit and guard against this pretty well with the centre backs. If one was asked to sit without a #10 then you'd have three players marking one which is a waste.

Also, if Suarez was the Xavi of his day why play Guardiola with him in a two man midfield? It seems redundant and someone more energetic would have made a better partner for either of them.

I enjoyed G.K.'s picks the most, they were great fun. They could run this draft in Italy or Uruguay or wherever in 50 years time and they'd still all be valid picks, something few other teams could say. Ultimately though I think he/she got carried away picking players over putting together a team.

• Advertisement

It was an oversight on my part picking Pep, I will admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I've gone for G.K in what was another tight call. I don't like the balance of Eli's side overall despite some of the fantastic individuals involved. Rivelino in the middle and one of Eusebio or van Basten dropped and it might have been different. As it is I don't fancy that right-hand side to function efficiently. Facchetti and Boniek coming down Eli's right against Jorginho is danger. Robben will have a tough time getting change out of Tassotti. Gullitt and Falcao will be good on the ball but off it? Winning it back is going to be a big problem for Eli. G.K's midfield isn't as lacking on the defensive side of things.

I actually fancy Cruyff and Hidekguti as a pairing. It's very simple, Cruyff comes towards the ball and Hidekguti runs forward. Who out of Eli's midfield pairing is going to track him? Boniek and Jairzinho could also make direct runs towards the box from wide if Cruyff comes off the front. That four is a unit which could cause all sorts of problems with it's running, positional swapping and it's passing, particularly given the lack of cover they're likely to face. Whereas Eli has some fantastic forwards, I don't know how they're going to gel together, particularly the strikers. It's a lopsided attack and that's not good unless you're both dominating the ball and attacking a weakness. Neither of those conditions are fulfilled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Despite his absence and me not knowing exactly what formation he would play congrats to Eli Manning who will get a chance to show us how he would have them line up in the quarter final. Hard luck G.K, quality team and one that may have educated some of us about great players we dont know

Advertisement