Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Results/Fails 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

biohaiid wrote: »
    Very happy (and very surprised) with my results, QCA of 3.68 this semester!
    What qualifies as a first class honors degree, out of interest?
    And what QCA qualifies for the president's letter?

Cumulative of 3.4 for 1.1 I think.
    3.5 for letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Risteard wrote: »
    Cumulative of 3.4 for 1.1 I think.
    3.5 for letter.

Oh, nice one :)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

It says that full transcripts will be available tomorrow, would this tell us then what degree we get? I have a 2.92, this could be bumped up to a 2.1 possibly but will I find out tomorrow or should I be sending a mail to my course head?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

When does the repeats timetable usually go up?

Have an i-grade to clear but otherwise so happy with my results. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

3.92 for the semester and 3.61 cumulative. Happy out. One year to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

When does the repeats timetable usually go up?

Have an i-grade to clear but otherwise so happy with my results. :)

It goes up in early August IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

how long does it take a lecturer to get back to you? My mate missed out on one subject and wonders will he have to repeat it. He e mailed the lecturer immediately this morn. Its complicated as the subject has project work (which he reckons he did ok in),a practical test (which he dosent know how it went) and a written test (again he dosent know how this went).Overall he reckons he must have been close to passing.Anyone know any answers to these few queries.Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I've a QCA of 2.63 getting all B's and C's this year and I've three I-grades to do. I've gotten an email saying my QCA isn't high enough and I'll have to do repeats. Are they counting my missed exams as fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

magma69 wrote: »
    I've a QCA of 2.63 getting all B's and C's this year and I've three I-grades to do. I've gotten an email saying my QCA isn't high enough and I'll have to do repeats. Are they counting my missed exams as fails?

I got that emal too, I think it's just a general one sent to everyone who has exams to sit in August. I got a separate email confirming that my I grade was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 onthebhoys

Hey lads, Failed a first year module last year and was told I must repeat it this year as a link in. But when I signed up for the module they told me it had been discontinued and forced me to do a brand new module as my link in repeat. Just found out that I failed the new module, do I have any argument against this. The college screwed me into doing a completely different module like I feel its very harsh. Anyone have any advice or experience in this matter?

• Advertisement

onthebhoys wrote: »
    Hey lads, Failed a first year module last year and was told I must repeat it this year as a link in. But when I signed up for the module they told me it had been discontinued and forced me to do a brand new module as my link in repeat. Just found out that I failed the new module, do I have any argument against this. The college screwed me into doing a completely different module like I feel its very harsh. Anyone have any advice or experience in this matter?

I had to do a new module in the Autumn semester as well. I very much got the vibe that it was something you just have to put up with.

Maybe give your course director a ring and organise a meeting with him/her to discuss it? But I'd say you'll have to do the repeat in August to clear the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 onthebhoys

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I had to do a new module in the Autumn semester as well. I very much got the vibe that it was something you just have to put up with.

Maybe give your course director a ring and organise a meeting with him/her to discuss it? But I'd say you'll have to do the repeat in August to clear the grade.

Its sick the way the can just force us around like that and expect us to keep paying. Fair enough I messed up myself by not doing enough to pass but been raging about this all semester. It was week 3 before they set me up with the new module.

Its sick the way the can just force us around like that and expect us to keep paying. Fair enough I messed up myself by not doing enough to pass but been raging about this all semester. It was week 3 before they set me up with the new module.

I was very lucky. I met with my course director at 9am trying to figure out which module I'd have to do on the Monday of Week 1, was in SAA filling the reg form at 10am. :P

It took SAA 3 weeks to actually register me too, but I knew the lecturer who was over the module so it was fine.

Hope it works out for you at any rate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

In what way were you screwed? The course has probably changed, either to reflect teaching resources/expertise or industry demands/best practice and you can hardly expect them to run what's now a historical module for a single student.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Can I ask did you do the link in module independently? Does anyone know if you can do a link in module to improve your overall QCA while studying for final year? Also I'm wondering about doing link in modules from previous years, say after final year if I'm not happy with ye degree I would graduate with, can I do link in modules of say subjects from 2nd or 3rd year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mon one

I am in first year my QCA average is at 1.76. I have one D2 in this semester and two D2's from last semester and an F. Can i repeat all 4 - 3 from the first semester and one from this semester. I read somewhere that only 4 could be repeated 2 from each semester.

Also wondering if i get a C3 which i understand is the max in all 4 will that be sufficient to get me the necessary QCA of 2. I am doing Business Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Got an F in one module but I didn't get an email or letter in the post. Just wondering what the story is here as I know a few others who failed and got emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

mon one wrote: »
    I am in first year my QCA average is at 1.76. I have one D2 in this semester and two D2's from last semester and an F. Can i repeat all 4 - 3 from the first semester and one from this semester. I read somewhere that only 4 could be repeated 2 from each semester.

You can repeat all 4, it's more an average of 2 exams per semester can be repeated. Since you completed 2 semesters, you can repeat 4 modules. That rule only kicks in if you have co-op in one of your semesters during the academic year, and you fail 3 or more. If you have co-op during the year, you can only repeat a maximum of 2, otherwise, it's 4.
    Also wondering if i get a C3 which i understand is the max in all 4 will that be sufficient to get me the necessary QCA of 2. I am doing Business Studies.

After some wicked mathematical skills on my part, I found out that if you got three C3s in your repeats, then your QCA would be 2.16 (which would see you pass the year). Alternatively three D1s would give you a QCA of 2.04, which would also see you pass the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

PunkFreud wrote: »
    You can repeat all 4, it's more an average of 2 exams per semester can be repeated. Since you completed 2 semesters, you can repeat 4 modules. That rule only kicks in if you have co-op in one of your semesters during the academic year, and you fail 3 or more. If you have co-op during the year, you can only repeat a maximum of 2, otherwise, it's 4.

After some wicked mathematical skills on my part, I found out that if you got three C3s in your repeats, then your QCA would be 2.16 (which would see you pass the year). Alternatively three D1s would give you a QCA of 2.04, which would also see you pass the year.

Or if you knew that all c3s would be 2.0 you wouldnt need wicked maths skills :D

Can I ask did you do the link in module independently? Does anyone know if you can do a link in module to improve your overall QCA while studying for final year? Also I'm wondering about doing link in modules from previous years, say after final year if I'm not happy with ye degree I would graduate with, can I do link in modules of say subjects from 2nd or 3rd year then?

I was told you can't link in a module that you've passed before. (I wanted to repeat a module I got a C3 in last year while I was repeating the others)

But I would ask your Course Director to be honest, because I'm not sure if that's a steadfast rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

Can I carry 4 or more d's through to second year?I recieved 2 d's at christmas and 2 f's and 2 d's in the summer.If i repeat the 2 f's and bump them up to d's my qca is sufficient to proceed.Would I be allowed to carry them all through?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ted9308 wrote: »
    Can I carry 4 or more d's through to second year?I recieved 2 d's at christmas and 2 f's and 2 d's in the summer.If i repeat the 2 f's and bump them up to d's my qca is sufficient to proceed.Would I be allowed to carry them all through?

The slate is wiped after 1st year. My advice is just pass 1st year. People will say that they will look at your first year results and use that for coop which IMO is bullsh1t. Companys go on the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

ted9308 wrote: »

It depends on the grades from your other modules the ones that you passed. If you got A's or high B's and your overall QCA is above 2.0 then you can carry the D's
    Forward if not you might have to repeat them and be capped at a C3

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

my mate still hasn't heard back from the lecturer (after sending an email on Monday),regarding his results,.....how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tablampa

ethical wrote: »
    my mate still hasn't heard back from the lecturer (after sending an email on Monday),regarding his results,.....how long does it take?

Depends on the lecturer. I got an email back from one of mine in the space of maybe an hour, a friend got a reply in 15 minutes. I have yet to hear back from two others and I sent all of the emails around the same time. It's just whenever the lecturer has time. If it's important then maybe try to ring them if an office number is given for them on the UL site or if your friend is around campus maybe try to call in to them. There's no real time limit that they have to reply within, it really just depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Worst set of exams to date :( Two D2s and an F. I'll have to repeat the F but can't afford the others so my QCA has plummeted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Jester252 wrote: »
    The slate is wiped after 1st year. My advice is just pass 1st year. People will say that they will look at your first year results and use that for coop which IMO is bullsh1t. Companys go on the interviews.
    The interviews get you the job, but it's your results that get you the interviews. When the Big 4 come in, they only interview people with the higher grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

The interviews get you the job, but it's your results that get you the interviews. When the Big 4 come in, they only interview people with the higher grades.

Probably not the place to ask but how long is co-op and when do they usually interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

They go with the QCA and the office sends them the CV that meet that QCA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

People will say that they will look at your first year results and use that for coop which IMO is bullsh1t.
    They go with the QCA and the office sends them the CV that meet that QCA.

You've kinda refuted your own point.

PunkFreud explained it correctly above, results get you an interview and an interview gets you a job. I know in my case, going abroad for coop, employers saw my full transcript including all my grades from first year.

Advertisement