Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Results/Fails 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You've kinda refuted your own point.

PunkFreud explained it correctly above, results get you an interview and an interview gets you a job. I know in my case, going abroad for coop, employers saw my full transcript including all my grades from first year.

QCA is wiped after first year so it dosen't matter. When a company goes to the coop office they will look for a certain QCA and the coop office will provide them. First year doesn't count towards that. To be fair do you suggest he pay around €500 for little change from a D to a C3? Would it also not be better for them to focus on less subjects for the repeats, get the pass and learn for the experience to have a better second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Jester252 wrote: »
    They go with the QCA and the office sends them the CV that meet that QCA.

Exactly, your QCA is determined by your results. My interviewers had all my results, including the first year results. They normally only have 2 years of results, so they need all the information they can get.
    TheGunns wrote: »
    Probably not the place to ask but how long is co-op and when do they usually interview?

The semester you do co-op depends on your course (best check the course outline on the UL website), It normally occurs in one of your 3rd year semesters and includes the preceding or proceeding summer. Mine lasted 8 months, but I'm not sure what the minimum requirement is.

They usually interview in the semester preceding co-op (so if you had co-op for the Spring semester, interviews go on for all of Autumn semester). Bear in mind, you can't reject a job if you've been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

QCA is wiped after first year so it dosen't matter. When a company goes to the coop office they will look for a certain QCA and the coop office will provide them. First year doesn't count towards that. To be fair do you suggest he pay around €500 for little change from a D to a C3? Would it also not be better for them to focus on less subjects for the repeats, get the pass and learn for the experience to have a better second year?
    First year doesn't count towards your graduating QCA, but you still get a QCA for 1st year. Co-op interviewers see your QCA for each semester, aswell as a breakdown of every single result received.

PunkFreud wrote: »
    First year doesn't count towards your graduating QCA, but you still get a QCA for 1st year. Co-op interviewers see your QCA for each semester, aswell as a breakdown of every single result received.

But the first year QCA doesn't matter to get your CV in their hands. After first year your QCA that affect your award and your coop interviews is wiped. They may have your first year results when they get your C.V but they also have your skills and other infomation. Is the difference between a D and C3 worth approx. €170? Having a bad QCA doesn't stop you from doing anything. There is a reason why its wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

In the case of accounting though the difference between a D1 and a C3 is massive. It's not just as simple as QCA

To qualify for certain accounting exemptions, you have to pass a certain amount of subjects with a QCA of 2.5 or higher e.g. in the case of management accounting exemptions, there are three subjects. You have to average a QCA of 2.5 in these subjects. You also can't get a D1 in any of them as you're automatically considered to be under 2.5 even if you get a1s in all the others.

So if you're doing accounting or plan on doing it and trying to get a job there, I'd advise you to get at least a C3 in the accounting subjects.

On the issue of co-op I had co-op with a big 4 and they did ask me about my results in first year and had them in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Tablampa

But the first year QCA doesn't matter to get your CV in their hands. After first year your QCA that affect your award and your coop interviews is wiped. They may have your first year results when they get your C.V but they also have your skills and other infomation. Is the difference between a D and C3 worth approx. €170? Having a bad QCA doesn't stop you from doing anything. There is a reason why its wiped.

It's wiped in the sense that it doesn't affect the QCA from 2nd year onwards so doesn't determine what degree you get, but it's still on your transcript. In my course we did our co op in 2nd semester of 2nd year meaning that by the time of the interviews, we only had our 1st year results and that's what was used to get us the jobs. You're right in saying that 1st year doesn't matter in the sense that it won't affect your degree, but you're wrong in thinking it doesn't affect co op because it does. They still have your grades. Even in final year you can look at your transcript and all of your grades from 1st year will still be there.

I'm not saying whether or not the money is worth it, but I don't agree with you telling someone it doesn't matter for co op when it really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

To be fair do you suggest he pay around €500 for little change from a D to a C3?

That's up to him. If money isn't an object I'd repeat them as a self reminder not to get a D

I just wanted to make it clear to other people who might read this that even though first year doesn't count towards your final QCA, it it still important for coop

There are plenty of people with a bad first year QCA that get good coop. There is also the same amount of people with a good first year QCA that get bad or no coop. QCA has little effect on your if you get a job or not.
    Are you suggesting that someone with two repeats add another two subjects on top of the subjects that they are having trouble with?
    If you don't have numerious repeats repeat any D's you have but if you have numerious leave the D's get into second year and take them as a lession to put in more time to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

There are plenty of people with a bad first year QCA that get good coop. There is also the same amount of people with a good first year QCA that get bad or no coop. QCA has little effect on your if you get a job or not.
    Are you suggesting that someone with two repeats add another two subjects on top of the subjects that they are having trouble with?
    If you don't have numerious repeats repeat any D's you have but if you have numerious leave the D's get into second year and take them as a lession to put in more time to study.

You don't seem to get that some companies genuinely do look at your QCA for first year. It doesn't matter that it's wiped clean and that it doesn't count towards your final degree you haven't gotten your degree yet so your first year QCA is another way of gauging what kind of worker you are and whether you're right for the job. Some companies want as much information about you as possible. That's not to say that someone who does poorly in first year and well in second year won't get coop but having a good first year QCA is another way to differentiate yourself from others who also did well in 2nd year.

* Edit: I will say though that the cost of repeating is extremely high and if you have more than two D's it might not be financially possible to pull yourself up to a C in all modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

How do you register for repeats? I'm in my student records in the Student Administration Portal and can't see the link there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

magma69 wrote: »
    How do you register for repeats? I'm in my student records in the Student Administration Portal and can't see the link there.

I don't think registration would usually be open this early unless it's changed since last year. I got a letter mid-July telling me how register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Repeat registration is open from 26th June to 10th July so you should be able to find it somewhere in the Portal.

Cossax wrote: »
    Repeat registration is open from 26th June to 10th July so you should be able to find it somewhere in the Portal.

Ah, I must be mixing it up with something else then. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What's the story with repeats, when do you have to register and when are timetables up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What's the story with repeats, when do you have to register and when are timetables up?

10th July is the last day, timetable up on 2nd August.

Cool, thanks.

A few more Qs: do you know if the session's QCA must be above 2.0, or if the accumulated QCA is enough?

I have one repeat I must do, but that won't take me above 2.0 for the semester, however I'm still above an accumulated 2.0.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Cool, thanks.

A few more Qs: do you know if the session's QCA must be above 2.0, or if the accumulated QCA is enough?

I have one repeat I must do, but that won't take me above 2.0 for the semester, however I'm still above an accumulated 2.0.

Session QCA has to be 2 or more to pass the semester

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Session QCA has to be 2 or more to pass the semester

So long as your accumulated QCA for the year is over 2 you pass the year, though you will have to repeat any modules you fail. It doesn't matter if you got below 2 for one semester so long as they average out to 2 overall.

Well I hope Lyra Fangs is right here!

A Cumulative QCA of 2.00 with no deficient grades (i.e. 'F', 'NG', 'I') is the minimum standard for progression to the next year of your course.

SOURCE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

man I hope my 2 repeats fall before friday 30th august...

electric picnic baby !!

Stuxnet wrote: »
    man I hope my 2 repeats fall before friday 30th august...

electric picnic baby !!

You just know SAA are reading this thread and are going to deliberately put yours on the 30th and 31st. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You just know SAA are reading this thread and are going to deliberately put yours on the 30th and 31st. :P
    oh jebus..I never even considered the 31st !!

well I aint missing the picnic ! was at the first one ten years ago and a few inbetween !!

I'll have to beg on all fours to do a day earlier if possible, if it falls that way ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Anyone know what happens if you fail an I grade?

Anyone know what happens if you fail an I grade?

I assume it's the same as if you fail any repeat, in which case you'll have to link in the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I assume it's the same as if you fail any repeat, in which case you'll have to link in the module.

Damn, that sucks. Only get one chance at it! I better get studying so :p

how's a fella supposed to study or be motivated in this weather :-p

**leaves study till next week....be grand **

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Stuxnet wrote: »
    how's a fella supposed to study or be motivated in this weather :-p

**leaves study till next week....be grand **

I can see that working out great! :D

Supposed to be a good August too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Plonkerism from a probable troll account deleted. Also replies, see "oxygen of publicity" in relation to initial idiocy. Reasonable respect is expected, cop-on is advisable. They're not that difficult, though apparently not universal. This forum isn't a playground for plonkerism; your own words are, broadly speaking, entirely your responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What's the story with paying the fee? It says I have no fees outstanding on the portal

Advertisement