Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage at Club

Options
  • 17-06-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was thinking of buying a shotgun and leave it securely stored at the club (Courtlough) for a while.
    That means I need to tick the following on the application form: "If the firearm will normally be stored at a location other than your home address, tick this box .(C) "

My question is, appart from the fee is there any disadvantages? ex: Will it be a pain later on down the road if I want to amend the licence if I want to bring it home after I mount a safe?

The whole point is to give a go at clay pigeon shooting for a while before I decide I want to pursue the hobby thus avoiding drilling holes in my wall for the safe too prematurely.... May sounds ridiculous, but I'm interested to know the answer to the above.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

If you were to change your storage details I couldn't see it being a problem once you meet the standards set out. You would just have to pop I. To the FO and let him know or at worst fill in the form again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

No, it shouldn't be a problem. Just use the FCA2 Form to amend your licence when / if you eventually decide to store the gun at home.

That's how I started off with my first gun - trust me you'll be moving it home sooner than you think! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Posting this "on the fly" so will check more when i get home, but if you are storing it at a club/range and only using it there a license (full FCA1 application) may not even be necessary.

As said will check later and get back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

I initially stored my gun at gun club. The I decided to bring it home ;)
    I only notified local FO - he inspected my safe and said OK. FCA2 is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

What does FO stand for?
    Firearm officer? Someone at the local garda station I imagine.
    Thanks!

damanloox wrote: »
    I initially stored my gun at gun club. The I decided to bring it home ;)
    I only notified local FO - he inspected my safe and said OK. FCA2 is not required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What does FO stand for?
    Firearm officer? Someone at the local garda station I imagine.
    Thanks!

Yep, FO stands for firearms officer. It isn't technically a position within the Gardaí, it's just the local Garda that gets stuck with the job of dealing with the firearms applications, renewals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Could the op put a note in the application stating that the firearm could be kept at both locations his home and the club?

Could the op put a note in the application stating that the firearm could be kept at both locations his home and the club?

Sure, then he'd be compliant at home with the safe storage requirements and he wouldn't need to tick that box as his gun would be stored normally at his home address. If it can be safely stored at home and that's the 'normal' storage location, he wouldn't need to mention storing on the range at all. The OP says this is a stop-gap measure until he has the safe in - so a note saying he would keep it in 'both locations' wouldn't do him any favours and he'd be in trouble for telling fibs in application (if he says he'll keep it at home - *before* he gets the safe in).

Hold on a sec......is the OP asking about a pistol, rifle, or shotgun?

Ooops :(
    Just spotted this - it's a shotgun.
    If it's the first one....he doesn't need a safe (unless the FO specifically asks for it). So just put down that you're keeping it at home - and if on occasion you avail of the ranges storage facilities and you normally keep the gun at home, no need to tick that box.

Presumably it's one shotgun only.

And presumably all the other safe storage requirements for one shotgun are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

dCorbus wrote: »
    Sure, then he'd be compliant at home with the safe storage requirements and he wouldn't need to tick that box as his gun would be stored normally at his home address. If it can be safely stored at home and that's the 'normal' storage location, he wouldn't need to mention storing on the range at all. The OP says this is a stop-gap measure until he has the safe in - so a note saying he would keep it in 'both locations' wouldn't do him any favours and he'd be in trouble for telling fibs in application (if he says he'll keep it at home - *before* he gets the safe in).

Hold on a sec......is the OP asking about a pistol, rifle, or shotgun?

No if he said he was storing it at both locations in his application and it was granted he could store it in either location lawfully. It is a shot gun so he does not need a safe at home if he does not want one but judging by his opening post I think he does want one

• Advertisement

No if he said he was storing it at both locations in his application and it was granted he could store it in either location lawfully. It is a shot gun so he does not need a safe at home if he does not want one but judging by his opening post I think he does want one

There's a couple of things I'm confused on here...

He can legally store the gun at a range or at an rfd whenever he wants, assuming the range authorisation allows for storage facilities - he doesn't have to get any permission off AGS to do that.

He can 'normally' store the gun at home and store it occasionally or whenever at the range.

He doesn't NEED to provide a safe (unless his FO says he does)

Even if he himself wishes to have a safe installed (good idea imo), he can do this later, whenever, or never (once he complies with the safe storage requirements) - once he has the trigger lock etc etc, he can state that he's complied with the minimum requirements - and can licence the gun for storage at home.

If then having licenced the gun for storage at home, he then decides that in the short term and as an interim measure he wants to keep the gun stored in the range, no problem there (the range should be authorised for that, most are if they provide that facility) - and WHEN and IF he wants to fit a safe at home, all good - the gun moves back home after its brief holiday on the range.

There's no need for dual 'storage permissions' - I doubt there's even a box on PULSE for that to be entered. It'll confuse the FO ;) and complicate things.

(This is all on the reasonable assumption that the mimimum standards for storage of one shotgun are acceptable to the FO/Super)

Advertisement