Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taste of DUblin is rip off

• 16-06-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I was there today and have to say I found it a rip off....Tickets were €23.50...for that I would expect free or a majority of free food or samples...not a bit of it!!! Your tickets get you nothing!!!

A small bottle of water €2, the only decent free sample was from Moy park foods, chicken wings, guogons etc, a few other petrie samples othewise you paid for everthing €5, €6, €7 for a tapas portion of food from any restaurant.

So my tickets paid for what exactly?...toliets maybe, that I can use having paid €2 for a small bottle of water...Joke and rip off! Dont go, you would be better off paying €15 for a good Sunday lunch somewhere!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post split out and moved to its own thread in Rip Off Ireland.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Hardly news, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

In fairness, I have been every single year it has been going.

I went this Friday and was very disappointed...

Usually I don't mind paying way over the odds in terms of pricing for food/drink, the amount of free samples were very few and far between for both food and drink.

However, what let me down most was the variety of stands, there was (I guess) about 50% of the amount of stands compared to last years event, one of the biggest let downs was the lack of "the beer academy" this is one of the "key" events that has been there and this year, nothing.

Would not recommend going based on Fridays experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are they still making you use "special coupons " in there ?? So they can take 10% more off the exhibitors....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are they still making you use "special coupons " in there ?? So they can take 10% more off the exhibitors....

Yep

In saying that, on each "pack" of florins, the reverse of the front cover was a voucher for 1 florin off a pint of becks, well..... no where on the voucher did it say 1 per drink/customer, nor did it say "T's&C's apply" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Dezetti

Another serious rip off is the fact that you cannot cash out the florins if you have any left over. The people selling them legged it as doin as the session ended do they wouldn't be asked. It did say no refunds on the desks where you buy them but the guy selling them at the gate said nothing. Rip off of the highest order.
    As for the rest if it....rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

€23.50 for the privilage of buying already presumably pricy food?? They are having a laugh...what next, €5 each time to shop at Tesco or Dunnes...sounds nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

In Belgium there is a food festival called Hapje Tapje (not too sure of the spelling). In the squares around the towns there are food stalls set up selling very reasonably priced portions of their food. Bands play,jugglers juggle,faces are painted etc. All in all it is usually a lovely affair. There is no cover charge,it's just on the street and in the parks. Whereas here we have overpriced balderdash like Taste of Ireland,I must admit I've never been but the cover charge has been the main factor for me. Is it not possible to have a Hapje Tapje style event here,where local food businesses get together and make a bit of a fuss and hopefully impress some people,enticing new custom and in the long run making a few bob extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

was there no bands playing?
    used to be a great day out in belfast.
    from memory it was free in at certain times , think before 3pm.
    then it was a fiver i think.
    you got tokens to pay for food , worked out around a fiver for a dish but decent portions.
    never felt it was a rip off , a good day out.

however when i seen it was on last weekend i was going to take the kids but the prices were a shocker!
    wouldnt want to be taking the family of four and having a load to eat and drink.

was there many there? the last one in belfast was a disaster , think we were the only ones there along with bagettelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    was there many there? the last one in belfast was a disaster , think we were the only ones there along with bagettelle

I think Bagatelle must carry a curse, there's a pub in Kilternan (Dublin) called The Golden Ball, closed down last year, and they played there about 2 days before the place closed (the poster is still in the window).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

could be on to something there!
    when i say we were the only ones there im not joking!!
    think bagetelle had a posse of around 15 so they did outnumber us, they sat at one table in the field and us at another :)

taste fest was never to be seen again after it , although we have had a few Tesco sponsored things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In Belgium there is a food festival called Hapje Tapje (not too sure of the spelling). In the squares around the towns there are food stalls set up selling very reasonably priced portions of their food. Bands play,jugglers juggle,faces are painted etc. All in all it is usually a lovely affair. There is no cover charge,it's just on the street and in the parks. Whereas here we have overpriced balderdash like Taste of Ireland,I must admit I've never been but the cover charge has been the main factor for me. Is it not possible to have a Hapje Tapje style event here,where local food businesses get together and make a bit of a fuss and hopefully impress some people,enticing new custom and in the long run making a few bob extra.

We arrived in Leuven by chance the day Hapje Tapje was on.

I think it means "small taste, small drink".

Very good, I would return.

Whereas paying 15-25 euro and then having to pay for each dish is crazy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Surely "Taste of Dublin", implies that you're going to get ripped off right, left and centre anyway, so I don't see why so many are complaining! :P

Advertisement