Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cork Soccer team : Lansdowne.

Options
  • 17-06-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to track down information on a team from Cork from back around 1912-1913. I'm told the name of the team was Lansdowne but I can't find any information on it.
    My great grandfather played with them and apparently the Evening Echo did an article about old teams in Cork about 20 years ago in which they published a photo of this team. My GGF featured in this photo and it is the only known photo of him, but unfortunately no one has a copy.
    I tried the Echo archives but they are not digital so I'd need the date of publication to find it, which I don't have.

Has anyone here heard of that team or does anyone have any contacts or publications that I could try, to try to unearth this photo.

Thanks
    FJ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

A guy called Plunkett Carter would be considered the foremost soccer historian in Cork and published a book on the history of local soccer some years ago (you might get a copy in one of the libraries). Maybe you could contact one of the local leagues (Cork AUL?) and somebody there might have contact details for him. That AUL contact might also have something in their own records that might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

A.U.L. Billy has been covering the local soccer for over 20yrs - he might be able to remember when the article was done.

Billy Lyons is his name ... I'm pretty sure he is still covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hi there,

I'm trying to track down information on a team from Cork from back around 1912-1913. I'm told the name of the team was Lansdowne but I can't find any information on it.
    My great grandfather played with them and apparently the Evening Echo did an article about old teams in Cork about 20 years ago in which they published a photo of this team. My GGF featured in this photo and it is the only known photo of him, but unfortunately no one has a copy.
    I tried the Echo archives but they are not digital so I'd need the date of publication to find it, which I don't have.

Has anyone here heard of that team or does anyone have any contacts or publications that I could try, to try to unearth this photo.

Thanks
    FJ.

Have you tried the City Library?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Plunkett is the guy. Not sure how to contact him but I can find out if needs be. His books should be in the city library. Send me a pm if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Thanks folks, I'll track down a number for Plunkett and take it from there. I've had a look at Billy Lyon's pics on line but got nowhere but I'll give him a buzz and see if he can help.
    Thanks, I'll keep ye posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement