Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats wrong with Sweatpeas?

• 17-06-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Hope my image is attached properly! But if not, this year is the second year my sweatpeas are not doing so well. They have started to get white scaley patches and holes on the leaves. I put some horse manure prior to planting them tis year hoping they would do better but didnt help it seems. Anyone any ideas as to why this is happening??

Thanks you!
    P

Sweet Pea.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

looks like slug damage to me. Shouldn't harm them too much once they take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Hi Redser,
    I had pellets down so don't think it is slugs. They really didn't perform well last year when this happened!

Rgds
    P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Any chance of a wider shot to see the whole plant? Still looks like slug damage that I've seen on my own plants though.
    How did you prepare the soil before planting? They are hungry and thrirsty plants. For peas and beans I dig a trench at least a spades depth, line the bottom with loads of torn up paper and cardboard, flood the trench twice till all the water has soaked down then return the soil with rotted manure or compost mixed in. I also throw in some general purpose fertiliser (blood, fish and bone). Then plant the peas or beans out (which will be a few inches high already from root trainers). After a week or two they take off like crazy. I give then a good deep watering once a week unless there's been a lot of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

pmason wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Hope my image is attached properly! But if not, this year is the second year my sweatpeas are not doing so well. They have started to get white scaley patches and holes on the leaves. I put some horse manure prior to planting them tis year hoping they would do better but didnt help it seems. Anyone any ideas as to why this is happening??

Thanks you!
    P

Sweet Pea.jpg

Could be a disease. Cut off the affected areas and wipe your knife to stop it spreading.
    Looks fairly congested in there. Did you pinch off the sideshoots and tendrils? The longer the stem, the more flowers you get
    They should be about 9inches apart and you need only the strongest one per cane, you need to be ruthless
    Water well at the roots as well
    Try a different spot next year to beat disease

You can still sow them as you can garden peas\beans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Hi all,
    Thanks for your comments. They are planted in a raised planter type box with rotted horse manure mixed in. With all the rain I think they should be ok and I watered them every day during our week of sun! I never pinched the side roots or tendrils though, didnt know I had to do that. It does look like some sort of disease alright.

Rgds
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I must say that it does look like there's snail slime on some of the leaves. Just because you put pellets down doesn't mean they won't also go for the plants.

Advertisement