Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance, walking and Challenge Walks

Options
  • 17-06-2013 10:55am

Was about to enter the Tom Crean walk next weekend when I saw on the entry form that insurance was necessary.

I appreciate that they may want to err on the side of caution, that is their prerogative.

Is this standard for such walks though? If so, what is the cheapest insurance out there? I can get insurance for IMRA (for events only mind you) within my membership of €10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You can become a member of MI for €41.40 p/a and get insured with them. There might be cheaper options through affiliated clubs, too.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 KMDActive

You can get free insurance from Get Ireland Active as long as your walk doesn't go over 300m.

Not sure if this covers the Tom Crean walk or not.

http://www.getirelandactive.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

KMDActive wrote: »
    You can get free insurance from Get Ireland Active as long as your walk doesn't go over 300m.
    Which essentially renders it of no use for even the most basic of walks in Wicklow, for example. You wouldn't be able to climb Djouce, for example, or even the Spinc walk in Glendalough, where you'd easily get close to 500m.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm not sure what the 300m limit is all about, but the free insurance is of value to somebody I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Maybe they mean 300 miles! :)

Seriously, I can't see the reference on the site, where is it?

• Advertisement

Not sure if this covers the Tom Crean walk or not.

http://www.getirelandactive.ie/

Thanks, but afraid my walks are usually from mountain top to top here in Kerry. Presume it may be very useful for those who like things like woodland walks, plenty of walks around here in the national Park and around Killarney lakes, but will be well above that line for most of my outings and certainly in most of the Challenge Walks.

In fairness to them I think it's more aimed at getting a start for those who would like to go walking but to whom insurance cost might be a deterrent.

Most people who regularly walk at height are seasoned walkers who will already have their own insurance or be covered by membership of a walking club.

I think FBD do a fairly good cover-all policy for around €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well, if it is 300metres, it would be pretty ridiculous - reads more like an insurance clause that is designed as a means of avoiding payout..

Personally, as far as I can see in life, there are two types of insurance worth purchasing 1) where you're legally or contractually obliged to have it, as in motor or mortgage cover 2) where the loss might be catastrophic, as in property. The rest are all basically a 'scam', they'll take your money but try making a claim.............

BarryD wrote: »
    Well, if it is 300metres, it would be pretty ridiculous - reads more like an insurance clause that is designed as a means of avoiding payout..

Personally, as far as I can see in life, there are two types of insurance worth purchasing 1) where you're legally or contractually obliged to have it, as in motor or mortgage cover 2) where the loss might be catastrophic, as in property. The rest are all basically a 'scam', they'll take your money but try making a claim.............

Just as well you're not cynical then I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Donny5 wrote: »
    You can become a member of MI for €41.40 p/a and get insured with them. There might be cheaper options through affiliated clubs, too.

I was told about this but with one thing and another I forgot until I read your post today, so Thanks!

Registered today with Mountaineering Ireland myself :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement