Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers have just moved in up the road

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

It's actually completely different depending on where they are parked.
    On Council lands, the Housing Act would be used to move them on, but the Council must demonstrate that alternative suitable traveller accomodation is available.
    If it's private lands, trespass law can be used - no alternative accommodation is required to be available.
    If it's in the middle of the M50 (or any other busy road), section 69 of the 1993 Roads Act is used - they would be reomved very quickly under this if camped dangerously.

therein lies the problem. unless there is suitable accomodation available, i dont think they can be moved. In athlone a few years ago, a load (50+) caravans were parked at the roscommon exit on the M6. They were there for around 6 months. eventually they left of their own accord. when they did, a fence was put in place to stop them from returning.
    Similar story on the N63 near roscommon around 2-3 years ago, they were parked on a very dangerous bend, and were there for a few weeks. when the left, the side of the road was filled with mounds of earth.
    The OP isn't referring to the old timers that fixed pots and pans though, are they?

in some parts of the country, travellers are called Tinkers, its not a discriminatory term. My grandparents always referred to them as tinkers, as they grew up with the people that fixed the pots and pans. The term just gets passed down from generation to generation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lkionm wrote: »
    I think the OP needs wildfire and loads of it and then salt the land so they can't return
    Precisely the kind of thing that kills any debate on the matter. Just like the "oh you're all bigots" from the other side of the coin.

What should be debated IMH is how this sub culture of Irish society can be improved and integrated more for the sake of all. Their mortality rates alone are worth looking at. Education another. Attitudes have to change on both sides or in decades from now the same stuff will be happening.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

You say bigot i say concerned resident.
    If my terminology has caused offense to any of the bleeding hearts i sincerely apologise.

But please do not change the focus of the thread away from me asking if anyone has had a similar situation. I guarantee the people complaining about my use of the word "tinker" have never been in such a bind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Invite them in for tea, get to know your new neighbours, just don't let them near your copper cylinder, fireplace, gates and most importantly your telephone line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

You have my sympathy, had the same situation for a long time across the road from our house. They caused a lot of trouble, burglaries went up, pets were stolen, rubbish was dumped in people's gardens, vicious fights were common place, guards had to have a near permanent presence. Local businesses were extorted or had there livelihoods threatened, elderly people were assaulted when they walked in on these guys in there garden up to no good. In the end a combination of guards, local council, politicians and court orders moved them on. Unfortunately they only moved a few miles and the same behavior is happening there. A local politician said to my neighbor he could not believe what the behavior of these 'people' had turned ordinary decent people into as a result of the stress and intimidation they subjected them too. Until you have experienced them up close you really have no idea what its like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's actually completely different depending on where they are parked.
    On Council lands, the Housing Act would be used to move them on, but the Council must demonstrate that alternative suitable traveller accomodation is available.
    If it's private lands, trespass law can be used - no alternative accommodation is required to be available.
    If it's in the middle of the M50 (or any other busy road), section 69 of the 1993 Roads Act is used - they would be reomved very quickly under this if camped dangerously.

Perhaps,Frank...perhaps.

However,longer term residents of the Tallaght area,may recall the long running scenario which ran (and ran) prior to the "Official" opening of the Tallaght By-Pass Dual Carriageway.

I recall the Local Authorities and the assembled forces of Official Ireland being notably unable to gain possession of their new dualler for quite some time.

Not sure what Legal Means eventually succeeded,but rumour had it that Cash was King..then as now .....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

briantwin wrote: »
    But please do not change the focus of the thread away from me asking if anyone has had a similar situation. I guarantee the people complaining about my use of the word "tinker" have never been in such a bind.
    I've been in a similar situation on a couple of occasions a few years back now(before the council walled in the areas involved). No obvious change in crime rates TBH or none I noted. The main thing was the complete mess left behind in their wake(and killed trees for some reason?). The disposal of the rubbish and work to restore the area ran into many tens of thousands of euro.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

listermint wrote: »
    This wouldnt happen to be the luas redline is it, because i was driving around last night and there was more than your average travellers floating around the area with UK reg vehicles x2 of them drove right on through a set of red lights in front of me.
    My money is on the redline. If it was on the green line they'd be moved on by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Surprised we got to 4 pages on this topic...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If my terminology has caused offense to any of the bleeding hearts i sincerely apologise.

I have, we had a bit of a problem here a few years ago. But I'm mature enough to know there's good,and bad everywhere, and it doesn't take long in a thread like this for that become apparent.

And the word 'tinker' is an offensive term, it's no different to 'wogs' or 'fags'.
    Just because a word was acceptable thirty years ago doesn't make it so now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cienciano wrote: »
    My money is on the redline. If it was on the green line they'd be moved on by now

that sums it up for me

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also threads like this get locked because of the sheer nonsense, hatred and bigotry that people come out with. Already on this thread we have several references to burning people out of their homes. These same people will then moan they aren't "allowed a reasonable discussion" when pulled up on it.

It's gas.

Quite true,except there does'nt seem to be any of this in the OP ?
    So i'm on here asking if anyone has any experience of this, and how we should go about trying to get them to move on? We have contacted the property managers and all the rest of that so we have to see what they say.

The Gardai notified me that they have had around 10 calls about them since this morning. They moved in last night.

I can't see any flickering torches in the OP's scenario,and I'm sure the responses will be varied in tone and content,as ever.

Then again,the definition of the sheer nonsense referred to can be quite broad...
    Use that term in front of Travellers and you won't be long being corrected. "Tinker" is an archaic term that is now considered patronising and is often used in a derogatory manner. Groups are entitled to define themselves and what they wish to be called and tinker isn't on the list to be honest.

A "List"..? :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

"Travellers have just moved in up the road thread Chase"

Off and racing in the Travellers have just moved in up the road thread chase.

PCBrigade leads them on to the first. As they take the first, Yourabigot makes a great leap in second closely tracked by Ihavenoopinion. Racing on towards the second and PCBrigade takes it nose down and looses ground to Yourabigot who looks comfortable ahead of Ihavenoopinion. Towards the rear of the field Randomposter is gaining ground at the expense of ****stirrer. Approaching the third. Its an open ditch. PCBrigade still leading with Yourabigot in second. Ihavenoopinion tracks the leaders with Randomposter and ****stirrer the back markers.
    Over the third PCBrigade makes a little mistake. His jumping is a little erratic. Another great leap by Yourabigot. Striding on around the bend to fence number four. PCBrigade, Yourabigot, Ihavenoopinion, Randomposter and ****stirrer. Yourabigot drifts wide and looks to have impeded PCBrigade as they take fence number four. PCBRIGADE IS GONE! Youranigot takes the lead. ****stirrer is gaining from the rear as Ihavenoopinion is fading very badly in the closing stages. Randomposter and ****stirrer battle it out for second, but its Yourabigot striding up to the last fence. A cracking jump from Yourabigot who's pushing on in some style to take this Boards.ie sponsored Travellers just moved in up the road thread chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Quite true,except there does'nt seem to be any of this in the OP ?

Posts 22 and 43. Also numerous references to Padraig Nally. Is that reasonable discussion in your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

And the word 'tinker' is an offensive term, it's no different to 'wogs' or 'fags'.

I never met a gay person that called them self a fag, however I have met travellers that refer to themselves as tinkers, all be it, the older generations, and there are very few still alive.

• Advertisement

I have, we had a bit of a problem here a few years ago. But I'm mature enough to know there's good,and bad everywhere, and it doesn't take long in a thread like this for that become apparent.

Eugggh...back to this. Read my original post and substitute the word tinker with whatever term you deem to be least offensive, and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Wibbs wrote: »
    Precisely the kind of thing that kills any debate on the matter. Just like the "oh you're all bigots" from the other side of the coin.

What should be debated IMH is how this sub culture of Irish society can be improved and integrated more for the sake of all. Their mortality rates alone are worth looking at. Education another. Attitudes have to change on both sides or in decades from now the same stuff will be happening.

Oh I know. That was tongue in cheek. They used all the wildfire anyway a killed the guy who made it.

If you want a serious discussion on it, it's probably best to be done in the humanities forum or sociology forum if there is one.

The word may well be offensive to you,but I have known several Travellers (Most now deceased) who had no difficulty with the term,and were VERY proud of it's connetations within their own family lineage.

Travellers,like society in general,are not some homogenus group which we can impose "our" acceptibility level on.

There is indeed good and bad everywhere,but it's the ability of any grouping to recognise that conflict,and address it internally,as opposed to laying blame off against the other elements that will eventually decide if that group survives itself.

I never met a gay person that called them self a fag, however I have met travellers that refer to themselves as tinkers, all be it, the older generations, and there are very few still alive.

Yeah we had an oulfella used to stay in a barn of ours from time, he was happy enough to be called a tinker, because he tinkered about at stuff. But at the same time, I have no problem calling myself a useless good for nothing cnut, but it would be a lot different if someone else called me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

I suppose if you need new gates or something they will come in handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I was going to call myself Tinker79 but then then Pavee point made me see the error of my ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Meself and a few friends bought a caravan to do up last week. It's out the back behind my house and not a day has gone by without people calling and asking about it / looking to buy it! There's not even a lock on the door. I'm fully expecting to come home some evening and find a family living in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Meself and a few friends bought a caravan to do up last week. It's out the back behind my house and not a day has gone by without people calling and asking about it / looking to buy it! There's not even a lock on the door. I'm fully expecting to come home some evening and find a family living in it.

Do you have to pay the household charge if you are living in a caravan?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Posts 22 and 43. Also numerous references to Padraig Nally. Is that reasonable discussion in your eyes?

Yes I'd have no problem filtering out the throwaway stuff,which one can hear all around in the Real World...reasonable people have a far better chance of existing in an unreasonable world,than vice-versa I suggest ?

As for Padraig Nally,I see no reason to bring his unfortunate case into this thread,except to suggest that he had his days in court and his story told.

At this point,there's nothing at all in the OP's case to suggest comparing the two is valid.

But,yes,in the context of the broader issue,(Not this thread) it is "Reasonable Discussion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Call bricktop
    Look what he did to mickeys family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Hang garlic around your doors and windows to keep them at bay.

You don't need garlic, silver bullets or a wooden stake.

All you need is soap and water to frighten these 'people' away.

So it seems that the land owner has applied for a court order. This is good news :)

The Gardai have said once the order is issued they will enforce it. Hopefully that won't take too long. I feel very sorry for our next door neighbours. Their house is like 6 meters from the first of the caravans. They have 3 small kids and are in a very vulnerable spot indeed.

Eugggh...back to this. Read my original post and substitute the word tinker with whatever term you deem to be least offensive, and move on.

Ok,a Poll perhaps....?

Would "Banker" be acceptable I wonder....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of reading that in threads its just not funny any more. mods ban it please.
    Contrary to popular opinion mods do not scan threads for the word "mods" and some instruction.
    You need to use some sort of feedback thread for that.

*I realize that by being a mod and finding that post my point somewhat moot but then again I'm not a mod in AH any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Well I have sympathy for OP.
    It's a homeowners worst nightmare to have a temporary halting site appear so close.
    I'd imagine your best bet is to keep onto the guards and local politicians. The only draw back is that when the learn that the local settled folks are complaining they might get even less friendly.

My problem would be the mess they will inevitably leave behind. Fridges, cookers, couches amd general human waste all strewn round the place. If they could manage to tidy up sites before leaving I'd wager there would be less resentment to their arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Play some Marilyn Manson and they'll soon bloody move..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

The OP isn't referring to the old timers that fixed pots and pans though, are they?

No, he's referring to the modern day ones who......... do what exactly???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That's not a sincere apology. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Call bricktop
    Look what he did to mickeys family.

and look what they did to him..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Nail down everything outside your house. Oil tank will be a target as will fuel in your car. Borrow a dog if you have none or "be seen" with a shot gun around outside your house. They will move on a soon as they get paid by the land owner to move on that's normally their trick. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Lads and Lasses,

This morning much to my surprise and dismay a large number of caravans and vans have moved in within 100 meters of my house. Ordinarily i would not care, but due to the secluded area we live in it is of great concern to us and our neighbours.

Now before i get the army of bleeding hearts coming on giving me grief, i should clarify a few things.

1) they illegally entered the land
    2) in our area there were other tinkers responsible for about 10 burglaries
    3) They are now camped right next to the luas line

So i'm on here asking if anyone has any experience of this, and how we should go about trying to get them to move on? We have contacted the property managers and all the rest of that so we have to see what they say.
    The Gardai notified me that they have had around 10 calls about them since this morning. They moved in last night.

The really big issue is that the field they have moved into is feckin huge and the idea of a mass migration into it is terrifying.

P.S. If you come on saying i am over reacting or that "they are people too "etc....or not all tinkers are criminals blah blah blah. I agree with you for the most part but you try having a van load of tinkers sitting outside your gaff for a week straight waiting for you to go to work so they can kick your front door in and then we'll talk. (This happened last year in the same house)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've had a few dealings with Travellers in my 30 years on this planet.

The mess they leave behind, whether it be from a campsite that's moved on, or a housing estate that they move into.
    I've seen the aftermath of a Traveller wedding, more than once.
    I've seen a group (6) of Travellers in a bar/restaurant, and one woman picked up her steak knife, and went for her husband with it, slashing him above they eye. When the manager went to them, he said, word for word, "If ye call the police, I've got 5 witnesses that'll say I fell down the stairs"
    I've seen a group of Travellers, at a hotel over Christmas. Fine the first night, second night they broke up the bar, causing everyone else in the bar to leave, go to their room, pack their things, and leave. Hotel was down the price of numerous rooms, and cost of repairing damage to the bar.
    One of them stole my dog when I was a child. Approached the house one day, enquiring about whether a particular dog was ours. 2 days later, my dog, along with a few others, disappeared, along with 3 particular families. (of course, that can't be 100% proved, but walks like a duck, talks like a duck....)

On the other hand,

I've seen a Traveller help out a kid at a festival that was rolling balls on MDMA.
    Eh....
    A friend bought some cheap fags and mucky dvd's of them.
    Probably other times when I didn't know the person I was dealing with was a Traveller.

Can't you see why I'm a bit wary of them? Even IF it's only 1% of Travellers that are bad apples, then I must keep meeting the same ones.

old hippy wrote: »
    That's not a sincere apology. Not even close.

I actually laughed out loud at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Find the most likely point of access and a friendly farmer clearing some boulders from his farm. Father in law had the same issue with some not so bright travellers. Field had river bank on 3 sides and only one point of access politely asked them to leave and in return the broken heart story followed by the I wouldn't mess with us brigade.

No problem he said but I'll be digging a trench for drainage so keep that in mind.

That evening as more arrived a trench was promptly dug stranding travellers on one side, I'm not sure how but the next day they were gone with a large amount of fibre glass littering the "drainage" trench :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Use a fishing line, put a €50 on the hook, leave it outside your driveway and when a traveller spots it, reel it in to around the back of your house. Hey presto, he's on your property, acting aggressive (?), so you are well within your rights to blow the f*cker away :D. Might be a bit tricky to get away with if you live in a semi-d.

Mod: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd imagine you're better off living close to them.

Even a dog knows not to shit where it eats.

tempnam wrote: »
    No, he's referring to the modern day ones who......... do what exactly???

The point I'm making is it's an outdated term.

Alternatively, get a leather-clad Padraic Nally to drive around on a harley with a shotgun (a la Arnie in T2), just eye-balling them and then revving off loudly every now and then.

Plus there's bound to a be a traveller there called sarah connor/s so it's even more appropriate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I used to live around the corner from an illegal halting site (council-owned wasteland), and never had (or knew of) any problems with the people who lived there. If anything, they probably kept that piece of land tidier than it would have been if they weren't there.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that all travellers are tidy, law-abiding citizens. I'd be an idiot if I went around making such ignorant generalisations...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

It's a derogatory term.
    If someone can't make their point without resorting to abusive and childish insults then I don't want to hear it.

Hahahahahaha

• Advertisement

They don't bother people near a permanent halting site as they dont want attention from the gardai. However when they pull in to fields for a week or so they hoover up everything in sight and move on

RayM wrote: »
    I used to live around the corner from an illegal halting site (council-owned wasteland), and never had (or knew of) any problems with the people who lived there. If anything, they probably kept that piece of land tidier than it would have been if they weren't there.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that all travellers are tidy, law-abiding citizens. I'd be an idiot if I went around making such ignorant generalisations...

I feel sorry for the landowner. He has to pay the court costs for trying to get these b*stards off his land.

My advice, get the slurry tanks in and start spreading. The travellers can either leave or get their caravans blasted with the stuff. Their own problem if the full force of slurry wrecks their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Find the closest slurry tank that needs emptying :)

It's cheaper to pay off the travelers than go through law. That's how travellers make money. Slurry has been used before but the farmers fear revenge then.
    I feel sorry for the landowner. He has to pay the court costs for trying to get these b*stards off his land.

My advice, get the slurry tanks in and start spreading. The travellers can either leave or get their caravans blasted with the stuff. Their own problem if the full force of slurry wrecks their homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

might be worth getting cctv at the front and back of your house...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement