Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers have just moved in up the road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hang garlic around your doors and windows to keep them at bay.
    lkionm wrote: »
    Jaysus boss. Sensitive much?

I think the OP needs wildfire and loads of it and then salt the land so they can't return
    You don't need garlic, silver bullets or a wooden stake.

All you need is soap and water to frighten these 'people' away.
    Use a fishing line, put a €50 on the hook, leave it outside your driveway and when a traveller spots it, reel it in to around the back of your house. Hey presto, he's on your property, acting aggressive (?), so you are well within your rights to blow the f*cker away :D. Might be a bit tricky to get away with if you live in a semi-d.

Mod

Seriously lads? It's comments like these that are the exact reason threads like this end up getting locked.

Keep the discussion civil and we'll have no need to close this thread, comments like this are getting infracted from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Piriz wrote: »
    might be worth getting cctv at the front and back of your house...
    Yep and i would maybe keep any valuables at a friends house for the time being. And keep your dogs safe. Not joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

LizT wrote: »
    Mod

Seriously lads? It's comments like these that are the exact reason threads like this end up getting locked.

Keep the discussion civil and we'll have no need to close this thread, comments like this are getting infracted from now on.

I agree. I suppose people feel the need to get a little jokey about the topic, which is fine when it's done in good taste. I do however think that far too often people get their backs up over a stupid throw away comments that should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

And keep your dogs safe. Not joking.

and Hedgehogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anything not bolted down will probably disappear. Ensure you have nothing valuable within sight of the windows.
    How exactly are you to not be taken as a bigot? The term tinker is a derogatory bigoted term and your entire post stinks of prejudice.
    They are tarring a group of itinerants who trespassed onto a field illegally. Explain how the itinerants are not tarring themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We had a bunch of them break down fences and set up camp in a feild across from where we live recently(also right next to a creche), they were there just a day when they were served there eviction notice by Waterford council, we got a letter from the residents association that very day and they were gone that evening.

Hope they are moved as swiftly OP. Bad times :(

Yep and i would maybe keep any valuables at a friends house for the time being. And keep your dogs safe. Not joking.

Since the last situation we had with undesirables casing our house for over a week we got CCTV installed at the front of the house. The geography of the house and land means they could only come in the front or leave through the front. That being said, i'm picking up some IP cameras today for the back of the house. All the footage goes offsite too, which is another major benefit.
    No point getting footage of them robbing the gaff only to have the NAS drive stolen too.

Yeah we have a dog, she stays inside though.
    Might dye her hair so she looks like a rottweiller. <
    (This is a joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RayM wrote: »
    I used to live around the corner from an illegal halting site (council-owned wasteland), and never had (or knew of) any problems with the people who lived there. If anything, they probably kept that piece of land tidier than it would have been if they weren't there.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that all travellers are tidy, law-abiding citizens. I'd be an idiot if I went around making such ignorant generalisations...

I like how you suggest they were law-abiding in the same post as where you said it was an illegal halting site...

Somebody said earlier that if the council own the land they might have an issue as the council have to relocate people into adequate housing. Is this true? If I grabbed a tent and started camping in a council park or something, would they have to house me before I could be made leave?

strandsman wrote: »
    It's cheaper to pay off the travelers than go through law. That's how travellers make money. Slurry has been used before but the farmers fear revenge then.

If the law abiding community get together and make a stand, you'll soon realise they are not as tough as they look. Fight menace with even more menace. I hate that decent folk (and guards) are so scared to stand up to them. It's time for the decent folk take that stand, in large numbers. The travellers will quickly get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

You are literally tarring a group of people with the same brush? How exactly are you to not be taken as a bigot? The term tinker is a derogatory bigoted term and your entire post stinks of prejudice.

I feel that your use of the terms 'brush' and 'tarring' are just concealed jokes at the expense of our beloved nomadic brethren and their hallowed driveway artistry. How dare you use wordplay and subterfuge to marginalise a persecuted people who battle your Form of bigotry on a daily basis. You would want to take a long hard look at yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Op try not to worry, hopefully it'll be sorted out soon. As somebody else said, if they were going to do anything to the houses around, they'd probably go further than the nearest ones to their camp.

They could be sound and want no hassle but all the same, put a lock on your oil tank and a good loud dog is also handy. Don't confront them, let the council do their job and I hope it's resolved soon for everyone's benefit.

There are a new faction of them around my town lately also. They announced their presence quite loudly Saturday night where my brother and his colleagues had a difficult and dangerous job of calming the situation. They seem to come on their holidays around this time AFAIK.

You can wager that any of the bleeding heart PC brigade are just contrary argumentative keyboard warriors with nothing else to do and no experience with the criminal elements in the travelling community. This thread isn't for casting aspersions about travellers, its simply asking for more anecdotal evidence/experiences in similar situations.
    Hopefully the OP's situation will get resolved quickly. Anyone that has had run ins with the more nefarious elements in the travelling community will sympathise greatly with this predicament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

dulpit wrote: »
    I like how you suggest they were law-abiding in the same post as where you said it was an illegal halting site...

Regardless of the official status of their encampment, their general conduct always seemed to be completely law abiding. So much so that there never seemed to be any local appetite to force them to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You are literally tarring a group of people with the same brush? How exactly are you to not be taken as a bigot? The term tinker is a derogatory bigoted term and your entire post stinks of prejudice.

How is it derogatory?

In times not very long past a Tinker was a member of the travelling community that worked in tin-smithing.

Not sure how referring to their ancestral occupation is bigoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

My suggestion is that the OP should play on the health and safety aspect of this problem.
    Monitor their waste disposal practices and get on to the council and health authorities at every opportunity about the build up of flies etc as a result of the aforementioned unmentionables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I feel that your use of the terms 'brush' and 'tarring' are just concealed jokes at the expense of our beloved nomadic brethren and their hallowed driveway artistry. How dare you use wordplay and subterfuge to marginalise a persecuted people who battle your Form of bigotry on a daily basis. You would want to take a long hard look at yourself.

It's the usage of the word 'literally' that has me befuzzled.

EDIT: Said travelling community, per OP, are on the move I have heard.

Ranjo wrote: »
    It's the usage of the word 'literally' that has me befuzzled.

This made me laugh a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

briantwin wrote: »
    Hi Lads and Lasses,

This morning much to my surprise and dismay a large number of caravans and vans have moved in within 100 meters of my house. Ordinarily i would not care, but due to the secluded area we live in it is of great concern to us and our neighbours.

Now before i get the army of bleeding hearts coming on giving me grief, i should clarify a few things.

1) they illegally entered the land
    2) in our area there were other tinkers responsible for about 10 burglaries
    3) They are now camped right next to the luas line

So i'm on here asking if anyone has any experience of this, and how we should go about trying to get them to move on? We have contacted the property managers and all the rest of that so we have to see what they say.
    The Gardai notified me that they have had around 10 calls about them since this morning. They moved in last night.

The really big issue is that the field they have moved into is feckin huge and the idea of a mass migration into it is terrifying.

P.S. If you come on saying i am over reacting or that "they are people too "etc....or not all tinkers are criminals blah blah blah. I agree with you for the most part but you try having a van load of tinkers sitting outside your gaff for a week straight waiting for you to go to work so they can kick your front door in and then we'll talk. (This happened last year in the same house)

OP in all honesty I can think of far worse types to have living beside you....child abusers, gang members, drug dealers etc.

Of course some travellers are criminals, just as some settled people are but you can not and should not generalise based on one bad experience.

If this family are genuinely causing you trouble then I would suggest you call the council and the Gardai.

If not just live and let live.

Don't waste time panicing about things that haven't yet and may not ever happen.

Audrey, they have illegally set up camp on private property. Would you be ok if I set up home in a tent in your back garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

briantwin wrote: »

Yeah we have a dog, she stays inside though.
    Might dye her hair so she looks like a rottweiller. <
    (This is a joke)

Ah here....this is a step too far...Rottweilers have entitlements,you know !!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

OP in all honesty I can think of far worse types to have living beside you....child abusers, gang members, drug dealers etc.

Of course some travellers are criminals, just as some settled people are but you can not and should not generalise based on one bad experience.

If this family are genuinely causing you trouble then I would suggest you call the council and the Gardai.

Don't waste time panicing about things that haven't yet and may not ever happen.

*posted from my parents house.

Drug dealers that are members of a criminal organisation with a high instance of child abuse and incest, that thankfully doesn't sound like any group of people relevant to this thread *phew*
    In fairness to the OP if he'd said he was upset because a former sex offender moved in next door you could still rattle off the same worn platitudes about generalising and preconceptions. If we were all honest, the travelling community due to a small number of people have garnered a bad reputation for antisocial behaviour, theft and general filth. Its with this in mind that you can't help but see that the OP through similar past experiences is trepidatious about his new neighbours. Anyone saying he is complaining without cause really has never experienced the torture caused by trouble making travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im sure everyone having a go at the OP would be the first people going over to welcome their new neighbours and offering them to come over for a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I remember a time when some of our nomadic brethren sneaked into and parked up their caravans in a popular local wooded area that was a very popular walking area. They made sh*t of it. It had to be specially cleaned when they finally got rid of them and the public wouldn't go near the place for ages.

Throwing your excrement, dirty nappies and general refuse all around an area is a disgrace. Clothes went missing from washing lines, property was stolen left right and centre and there were a lot of missing animals too as I recall. If loathing people who behave in a scummy and sub-human manner makes me a bigot then so be it.

A knac*er is a knac*er and I mean that word in the sense of it being someone who is fit for nothing and no use to society. There are many valid reasons why people don't like or trust them and there aren't many settled people who'd want them in their immediate vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The devaluation of their house has just occurred for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'll happily agree with you...when I meet one who proves me wrong in my biggoted opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Calling the Gardai is the worst thing you can do, and these people know it. At the very least their dog will end up poisoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What's wrong with 'tinker'? I thought the 'k' word was the bad one. Someone told me that tinker came from the tinkerman, people who would pass through places buying and selling tin and other metals? :confused:
    There's probably people that think If I Were A Carpenter by Tim Hardin is more offensive than any NWA album.
    If I were a carpenter
    And you were a lady,
    Would you marry me anyway?
    Would you have my baby?

If a tinker were my trade
    would you still find me,
    Carrying the pots I made,
    Following behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FTA69 wrote: »
    Use that term in front of Travellers and you won't be long being corrected.
    What do they call themselves?
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'd imagine you're better off living close to them.

Even a dog knows not to shit where it eats.
    But the "bad" travellers don't know this...
    The travellers will quickly get the message.
    They'll move, and come back later at night. Retribution is something you have to be wary of if your house doesn't have wheels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I smell a big fat wedding on your cards OP !!!!

We can say we knew you before you had your own show on Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

the_syco wrote: »
    What do they call themselves?

Travellers. They also refer to themselves as Pavee i.e. "is he Pavee?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Good luck to you if you can find a Garda to go into a halting site looking for your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Fvck them. They want to illegally occupy land. I'll call them whatever I want.

How does Nomadic Scum sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

OP get onto the local politicians, I'd recommend SF as they wont be too chicken to actually talk to the travellers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good luck to you if you can find a Garda to go into a halting site looking for your property.
    They will depending on the area and the Gardai involved, but often avoid it in my experience. Can be a tremendous waste of time for them as either nobody knows anything or things get heated, or accusations of police intimidation are thrown about. Plus even if they get evidence it can be hard to make it stick.

EG a year or two ago a neighbour of a good mate of mine had his dog stolen by Travelers(Firhouse in Dublin). He went to the site and demanded the dog back and got it back(fair play). However a couple of nights later a shotgun blast tore into his door for his trouble. This is a guy with a wife and kids in the house. The Guards showed up and took evidence, but basically the inference was "shure what can you do". This was reported in a couple of papers and I do have a link in the sprawl of links on my PC(leave it with me).

Dog napping is a very large problem in Ireland and many hundreds of dogs get stolen each year and little is done about it. Often ransoms are asked for. 20 dogs a day by one gang in Co' Kildare. You may note no clear mention of the members of the community involved for fear of accusations of bigotry but plain to read between the lines. The usual thing of we don't treat property crime harshly enough, though I don't see my dog as property and if anyone tried to take him from me I would genuinely swing for the bastards.

The plain fact is while Travelers are not a cartoonish homegenous group there is a disproportional amount of criminality, antisocial behavior and detachment from the wider society in their community and in many aspects of their culture. There are many elements to their culture that are at odds with wider society and not in any sort of good way. EG at the height of the "boom" 75% of adult male travelers were unemployed and in receipt of state benefits. Eh WT everliving F. Something is queer wrong with that. To deny these things is taking liberal thinking beyond daftness, just as suggesting all Travelers are criminals is taking right wing thinking beyond daftness. Either way I personally would not be happy with an illegal(as they almost always are) encampment showing up in my neighbourhood for a multitude of very good reasons borne out by experience and reality on the ground.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rabies wrote: »
    This pretty much. IF you have a community that openly rejects the mores and laws of the community at large then respect from the community at large is hardly likely to be forthcoming.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The Op has every right to complain,its not one camper as he mentioned,and f knows how many more will come if action isnt taken.those arent people who work fair days work,they are scum from generation to next-minority my a$$ these people live of society that pays taxes rent bills and work to support themselves.While these knuckleheads dont pay any taxes collect any scrap they can and move around like pests.
    So as someone suggested if you are up for them, go ahead join their group and invite them to stay in your back garden.
    It doesn't take much to understand what crowd these people are,look at council houses in every town that were built for them,its like walking trough demolition site with trash and crap all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rabies wrote: »

How does Nomadic Scum sound?

We're all nomads, to a degree. Look at your own location, for starters.

You can wager that any of the bleeding heart PC brigade are just contrary argumentative keyboard warriors with nothing else to do and no experience with the criminal elements in the travelling community..

And you'd lose that wager. Far too many generalisations on this thread.

old hippy wrote: »
    We're all nomads, to a degree. Look at your own location, for starters.

I've been settled for 7yrs and pay my taxes here :D
    Haven't left a broken fridge by the side of the road yet.

• Advertisement

Use a fishing line, put a €50 on the hook, leave it outside your driveway and when a traveller spots it, reel it in to around the back of your house. Hey presto, he's on your property, acting aggressive (?), so you are well within your rights to blow the f*cker away :D. Might be a bit tricky to get away with if you live in a semi-d.

Another classic low for AH. Up there with the "sterilise skangers" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Another classic low for AH. Up there with the "sterilise skangers" thread.

Have you an opinion yourself on this topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Wibbs wrote: »
    The plain fact is while Travelers are not a cartoonish homegenous group there is a disproportional amount of criminality, antisocial behavior and detachment from the wider society in their community and in many aspects of their culture. There are many elements to their culture that are at odds with wider society and not in any sort of good way.

They could work on their PR, big time. Certain press releases from the likes of Pavee Point and recent youtube stunts with sulkys seem to consistently rub the settled culture the wrong way up.

To be fair to PP in a radio interview lately, they do condenm and disassociate themselves from any criminal behaviour, but I don't think wayward travellers would pay much attention to any such pious exhortations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the term settled community annoys me

omahaid wrote: »
    Have you an opinion yourself on this topic?

Yes, I do. It's been well documented on many other similar threads on the Travelling community. I abhor the hatreds and generalisations that are constantly regurgitated on these "conversations". I think that people have a right to protect their land without demonising all Travellers. And I've had good and bad experiences with Travellers. Like any other section of the community.

Do you have an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I heard that pavee point spokesman on newstalk a few months back. His basic spiel was that negative attitudes towards the travelling community were entirely a product of the settled community's persecution and marginalisation of travellers. He acknowledged virtually no culpability on the part of travellers as architects of their own reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

the term settled community annoys me

Agreed, settled traveller is the most annoying oxymoron out there.

I heard that pavee point spokesman on newstalk a few months back. His basic spiel was that negative attitudes towards the travelling community were entirely a product of the settled community's persecution and marginalisation of travellers. He acknowledged virtually no culpability on the part of travellers as architects of their own reputation.

Treat people like muck, marginalise them - well, it's hardly surprising some of them will act up, isn't it? A vicious circle, sadly.

Yes, I do. It's been well documented on many other similar threads on the Travelling community. I abhor the hatreds and generalisations that are constantly regurgitated on these "conversations". I think that people have a right to protect their land without demonising all Travellers. And I've had good and bad experiences with Travellers. Like any other section of the community.

Do you have an opinion?

I agree. So we can give sh!t to the ones that illegally occupy the land, perfect.

• Advertisement

Old hippy,

How many itinerant groups have setup camp within a stones throw of your house? People generalising about a topic like this is not going to stop because you point it out.

Why not develop a counter argument based on your own experiences?
    Even better, actively seek out members of the travelling community and invite them into your home for a nice cup of bovril and an ould natter. Once that's out of the way , why not ask them to move into your front garden for 2 weeks....feck why not make it 3 weeks.

People have garnered their attitudes about the itinerants from personal experience and from experiences of friends and family. This is opposed to sitting around sending out positive vibes into the universe and expecting everyone else to do the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement