Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers have just moved in up the road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

worded wrote: »
    It's the 99.9% that give the 00.1% a bad name

Fixed That Up There For You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

old hippy wrote: »
    Horrible. No excuses for that. :( But then, no excuses for you, either.

Replace Traveller with "black person" or any other minority and you see why. And that's not trying to reduce the awfulness of the attack on your gran. It's just common sense.
    OH, I'm sure you would have behaved differently had your mother been on the receiving end of a similar experience, but you are talking pure sh1te TBH . Take a piece of paper, line down through the middle. Survey this thread. one side BAD experiences- other side GOOD experiences. Its a heavy odds-on shot which side will be more populated once the exercise is complete. boss.

@OP - I feel your pain. Hopefully resolution will be quick.

EyeSight wrote: »
    completely agree. I have never had anything but bad experiences from travellers

I know of a family or two of (former) travelers who are decent people, they are settled though in their own houses build out of their own pockets (not council ones) and I haven't heard of them getting into any hassle with the law.

Unfortunately the likes of this family are very much in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know loads of Traveler families who are very decent and law-abiding. They are mostly settled though. I also know Traveler families who are always committing crimes. I think we should judge them as individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder if part of the problem isn't that people tend to only identify travellers as such when they're involved in something dodgy, be it illegal sites or whatever.
    Someone who self identifies as a traveller but who goes about their business is just another ordinary Joe on the street like everyone else.
    But all that said, I've rarely heard a story that wasn't bad and reputations rarely spring out of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

MadsL wrote: »
    The general consensus on Dale Farm around AH was that it was OK to evict 80 families who had been living there for 10+ years and sending their kids to a local school.

The general consensus seems to be it is a Bad Thing for familes to have moved onto this site and that various intimidations should be used to get them to move.

So, they should not stay in one place nor should they move.

Slow hand clap.

They should be expected of obeying the set of laws that the settled person lives by. Should I be allowed to buy any old lump of land and build what I please? I am a member of a family, have no criminal record, if they can build and just be told "Sure your grand, building regulations are for others" why cant I?

Nothing is stopping travellers obeying the law.

If they obey the law there would be zero problems with travellers. If they want to build a house they will go through the same procedures and red tape "settled" people have too as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Horrible. No excuses for that. :( But then, no excuses for you, either.

Replace Traveller with "black person" or any other minority and you see why. And that's not trying to reduce the awfulness of the attack on your gran. It's just common sense.

that's clutching at straws even for you. You're looking for discrimination and racism where there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Surprised this bad boy hasn't been locked yet.

Rarely smoke without fire, and for every positive story I hear there are dozens of unsavoury incidents. Personally, I wouldn't trust travellers - I know that this is prejudice, but experience has taught me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"I'll give you yer shooter, ya cunt"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

This thread has been posted by the CIA so we don't start commenting on the Obama's.

Brilliant.

Divide and Conquer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't understand. Why aren't travellers arrested if they refuse to move? If they're occupying a private property it is illegal. Why aren't they arrested?

Sick of the Gardaí being able to do fúck all in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Christ on a bike.

What the hell is wrong with people trying to defend travellers. They bring trouble everywhere they go and create intimidation.
    Anyone who thinks otherwise has been spending too much time on their high horse and have their head stuck in the clouds.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on Woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Likewise, sick of the lack of power that the Gardaí have to arrest travellers breaking the law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

OP: you should look upon this as an opportunity to learn more about traveller culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know where the op is coming from.

Outside my hometown there's a halting site made up of a good load of families. A few young scumbags but majority of the families are grand, well-known and have never caused a problem.

Occasionally, though, travellers moved from Roscommon town or English ones came along and utterly destroyed the park with nappies and discarded things like cookers, dogs went missing on a huge scale, oil from tanks was taken, and terrorised the local businesses.

All the pub owners would ring each other to let them know when they were around the town so they could lock the doors (even when we'd be in them drinking).

Once, they got into a pub where they caused trouble by smashing glass off a wall and breaking the toilet, they were asked to leave where they rang a taxi, a quiet man I know answered the call and drove them out the road.

Person behind him put a rope around his neck and another put a blade to his face. Robbed and kicked him out of the car and drove off where they later burnt it out. That was the end of his taxi runs.

Since then the council have had to put boulders around the town to stop them from parking up but now they just go to main car park that's in the center of the town.

Not much you can do except pester the council.

• Advertisement

What do they do with the dogs anyway?

Sell them on?
    Use them to train other dogs to fight?
    Eat them?

I guess its B because I wouldnt buy a dog off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Im afraid to give my Tuppence worth in case im branded a Racist again from the Do gooders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MadsL wrote: »
    The general consensus on Dale Farm around AH was that it was OK to evict 80 families who had been living there for 10+ years and sending their kids to a local school.

The general consensus seems to be it is a Bad Thing for familes to have moved onto this site and that various intimidations should be used to get them to move.

So, they should not stay in one place nor should they move.

Slow hand clap.

Let them stay in the houses that the various county councils bend over backwards to provide for them, and we the taxpayers of this country pay for.

Hows that for a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I heard that pavee point spokesman on newstalk a few months back. His basic spiel was that negative attitudes towards the travelling community were entirely a product of the settled community's persecution and marginalisation of travellers. He acknowledged virtually no culpability on the part of travellers as architects of their own reputation.

To be honest I think a lot of the criminal behavior from travellers is because of the way they have been treated for generations - kinda like how in sections of the african american community in America have major crime problems, society played a role in sculpting that.

Sometimes when you treat people like scum they become it, and I think thats what we have here

There was a generation of travellers ages ago, whole while the settled community didn't understand them and generally discriminated against them -ignored basically - they were generally a religious, honest people who when they called to the farm you'd think that they were looking for work. Now you think they're casing the pace to rob it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Boombastic wrote: »
    Do you have to pay the household charge if you are living in a caravan?

No, Its only us who pay taxes, rent, mortgage already that got to pay. The Travellers and fair fúcks to them won't have to pay a cent, The Government know damn well that they can't make Travellers pay, One thing about Travellers is they are not suckers or gullible...

Festy wrote: »
    Play some Marilyn Manson and they'll soon bloody move..

Samantha Mumba, Tom Jones, Some old Now That's what I call music, Pato Banton etc That will get the Travellers out dancing, Low cut tops Tight Jeans and ponytails, Piebalds Slash hooks and empty cans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

To be honest I think a lot of the criminal behavior from travellers is because of the way they have been treated for generations - kinda like how in sections of the african american community in America have major crime problems, society played a role in sculpting that.

Sometimes when you treat people like scum they become it, and I think thats what we have here

There was a generation of travellers ages ago, whole while the settled community didn't understand them and generally discriminated against them -ignored basically - they were generally a religious, honest people who when they called to the farm you'd think that they were looking for work. Now you think they're casing the pace to rob it.

Especially When Your Born SCUM, like most (not all) but most of the filthy robbing, trouble making, drain on society bastards that are travellers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I don't understand. Why aren't travellers arrested if they refuse to move? If they're occupying a private property it is illegal. Why aren't they arrested?

The guards are afraid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Drug dealers that are members of a criminal organisation with a high instance of child abuse and incest, that thankfully doesn't sound like any group of people relevant to this thread *phew*
    In fairness to the OP if he'd said he was upset because a former sex offender moved in next door you could still rattle off the same worn platitudes about generalising and preconceptions. If we were all honest, the travelling community due to a small number of people have garnered a bad reputation for antisocial behaviour, theft and general filth. Its with this in mind that you can't help but see that the OP through similar past experiences is trepidatious about his new neighbours. Anyone saying he is complaining without cause really has never experienced the torture caused by trouble making travellers.

Is it a small number? I would say, proportionately, it is quite a large number to be honest. Their over representation in prison populations would back this up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

space_man wrote: »
    OP: you should look upon this as an opportunity to learn more about traveller culture.

TV3 Tonight at 9pm.

charlemont wrote: »
    No, Its only us who pay taxes, rent, mortgage already that got to pay. The Travellers and fair fúcks to them won't have to pay a cent, The Government know damn well that they can't make Travellers pay, One thing about Travellers is they are not suckers or gullible...

Samantha Mumba, Tom Jones, Some old Now That's what I call music, Pato Banton etc That will get the Travellers out dancing, Low cut tops Tight Jeans and ponytails, Piebalds Slash hooks and empty cans...

That'll shift them.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

There’s only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures and the Dutch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Just a couple of weeks ago I was at a charity boxing event in clondalkin that a friend of mine was fighting in.

There were three travellers on the fight cards. Their clans had gathered to watch. Sure enough, mass brawl broke out between them with many innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. Spilled outside. Shirts off, blood everywhere, etc etc.

Just another of the many many bad experiences I've had with travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Shag the women.

:confused: :pac:

Shag the women.

Eh...no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Treat people like muck....

Indeed. Travellers have been treating people in the 'settled' community like muck for years. Camping illegally on land that isn't theirs to inhabit, stealing, intimidating, littering etc.
    Let's not simplify this into a 'poor misunderstood travellers' issue. Let's start listening to the experiences of the 'settled' community as well as the endless tales of discrimination and woe that Pavee Point like to spin.

...marginalise them - well, it's hardly surprising some of them will act up, isn't it? A vicious circle, sadly.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but travellers themselves insist on being marginilised.

They wish (and indeed campaign)to be recognised as a seperate ethnic group. They do not like to mingle outside their own communities and often marry within their own family.

They do not see education as an important foundation for their children's future. Look up literacy levels amongst the travelling community and look up how many travellers finish secondary school or go to college.

The levels of unemployment and social welfare amongst the travelling community are huge. 84% of them are unemployed. 84% of one community do not pay tax and cost the country millions in social welfare without any intention of ever contributing anything back financially.
    In the 'settled' community the unemployment rate is 13%.

Now, tell me exactly how we, the 'settled' community, marginilise travellers any more than they marginilise themselves?

Sometimes I get extremely annoyed at how the settled community get the blame for ostrasicing travellers, when they do very little to integrate themselves or contribute to the communities they become part of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Eh...no thanks.

Lab it inta them boss

Shag the women.

Brown paper bag and a mussel,it will be grand like...

:confused: :pac:

Thats what we need presenting Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They're all in Ireland for the G8 summit. The silly beggars thought it was a Gate Summit...ha ha ha.

I was thinking more of a bicycle tube for me lad and a space suit.......just for the foreplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Eh...no thanks.

Go wan get a nice diddy ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Shag the women.

Horse it into me Boss !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

lkionm wrote: »
    What do they do with the dogs anyway?

Sell them on?
    Use them to train other dogs to fight?
    Eat them?

I guess its B because I wouldnt buy a dog off them.
    Usually for hunting(poaching)/lamping rabbits. Sure there doin no harm to nobody, no harm to nobody, they wont be doin no robbin sir honest to gad they swear on their mothers eyes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Anyone that uses the word 'tinker' gets no sympathy from me.
    John le Carre?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy

It's an abbreviation of Tinsmith by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If it were my land id ask them to move. Give them a day to do so. Then out with the slurry tank. Id be intitled to spread slurry on MY own land .

nullzero wrote: »
    Usually for hunting(poaching)/lamping rabbits. Sure there doin no harm to nobody, no harm to nobody, they wont be doin no robbin sir honest to gad they swear on their mothers eyes.

My little dog is hardly gonna decide one day its gonna go out hunt rabbits.

Im more on about the family dogs, not the bigger hunting dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

A mussel? I thought it was oysters that were aphrodisiacs.

Rasheed wrote: »
    A mussel? I thought it was oysters that were aphrodisiacs.

Use the mussel as a dental dam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

They do not see education as an important foundation for their children's future. Look up literacy levels amongst the travelling community and look up how many travellers finish secondary school or go to college.

A few months ago I had a traveller come up to me where I work and ask me to write a letter of request for him because he couldn't read or write.

He wasn't in his 50's or 60's. He was only 26. And could barely even sign his name. In my eyes, after all the efforts that have been made to integrate travellers over the past couple of decades, illiteracy like that is simply down to one thing. Choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

lkionm wrote: »
    Thanks for the fun fact of day.

It also derived tinkering.
    The more you know, guys

You're very welcome! Although I'm unsure what's fun about it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. Travellers have been treating people in the 'settled' community like muck for years. Camping illegally on land that isn't theirs to inhabit, stealing, intimidating, littering etc.
    Let's not simplify this into a 'poor misunderstood travellers' issue. Let's start listening to the experiences of the 'settled' community as well as the endless tales of discrimination and woe that Pavee Point like to spin.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but travellers themselves insist on being marginilised.

They wish (and indeed campaign)to be recognised as a seperate ethnic group. They do not like to mingle outside their own communities and often marry within their own family.

The levels of unemployment and social welfare amongst the travelling community are huge. 84% of them are unemployed. 84% of one community do not pay tax and cost the country millions in social welfare without any intention of ever contributing anything back financially.
    In the 'settled' community the unemployment rate is 13%.

Now, tell me exactly how we, the 'settled' community, marginilise travellers any more than they marginilise themselves?

Sometimes I get extremely annoyed at how the settled community get the blame for ostrasicing travellers, when they do very little to integrate themselves or contribute to the communities they become part of.
    QFT. While the argument is never entirely black and white, the stats and evidence does tend to paint one side significantly darker than the other.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Can't remember ever having a positive experience with one. Work in a bar/hotel at the moment and the amount of times I've been threatened, abused, that they have tried to leave without paying, that they will book a room and try to sneak another 10+ people in etc - madness.

I don't care if I'm called a bigot but if I had a choice I would never, ever deal with one and I seriously pity the OP's current predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

OP in all honesty I can think of far worse types to have living beside you....child abusers, gang members, drug dealers etc.
    Next you will be mentioning priests. Be realistic.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Get blackie Connors on the case

He'll sort them out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement