Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design site WIX is a disaster

• 17-06-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Have been using WIX to design and publish web iste since january.

Its was OK up to last week (as far as cheap designer web sites go).

Now my page is not accessable by mobile device since they made some changes to how mobile sites are viewed.

Made several complaints as have hundreds of others on thier 'support forum'

Needless to say they are being anything but supportive.

Looking for recommendations on cheap and cheerful alternative ?

Have done a little bit of programming of this and that, but want something easy to use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Wix is terrible, Hire someone.

use wordpress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Keep seeing this Wix thing popping up on my Facebook.. never heard of it but just looks like another generic WYSIWYG editor that are more hassle than they're worth.

Just do a self-install of Wordpress, get yourself a decent free theme (just google "free wordpress themes <industry>" where <industry> is the industry you're in and you'll find plenty), and read into tweaking Wordpress.

All this stuff is relatively easy if you spend time reading into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Sound, thanks for advice.

Yeah wouldn't recommend WIX, the mobile editor is a joke when it was actually working, options are very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For others' future reference Wix, iWeb, weebly are all rubbish and should be avoided.

WP beats the pants off them, blindfolded and only using the left hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

and using the right hand to fend off a warewolf with a cucumber.... thats how much Wordpress beats em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Yeah Wix is the bane of my life at the moment. Have a few clients who have used it to "develop" their own sites, but want to go a little more professional and host it themselves.

They are incredulous when I tell them that they cannot just copy and paste it into a HTML page and self host, and that I effectively have to recreate their theme from scratch.

I feel like it cheapens the whole process, but that's because it's my craft, and someone is doing it cheaper and nastier. Moral of the story, if you plan on ever hosting your own website in the future, a) stay away from ready-made WYSIWYG's or b) be prepared to pay your designer what s/he's worth.

Advertisement