Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options
  • 17-06-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Anyone else expecting a St Valentines baby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

16th Feb, so not quite valentines but think I will be early so who knows. Have been hoping someone would post a February thread, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

Exciting times. Is this your first? I had to start the thread because I am bursting to tell someone and because I am so superstitious I don't want to start telling people just yet. Have you had any symptoms yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Seven weeks and feeling it…have two under 2 ½ so that doesn’t help with the fatigue. Symptoms have hit me like a tonne of bricks since the wend..having to have snacks throughout the day, if I get anyway hungry it escalates into nausea, but a lot of food turns my stomach too!! I’ve heard from others that the system (going public) has changed since I had my other two, and they only give a scan around Wk12 now, is that right?

Second for me, my first is just gone 10 months! Feeling tired and lots of
    stretching pains already. Belly has relaxed so much I feel I am showing already, which is going to be tough to hide when I return to work in a couple of weeks. I know its mostly bloat but I think it looks huge.

Having first scan at 10 weeks and then proper one at 12, going to MC

wow you girls sure are busy. This is my first and not a single symptom - I even went to the doctor at the start of the week to tell her I was suffering a phamtom pregnancy - thankfully I was wrong!!!

Not sure what to do as far as hospitals are concerned. I have health insurance so can go semi private but there is also the choice of the domino scheme which sounds brilliant - decisions, decisions.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

From a guys perspective

Myself and my wife have been trying for years and finally we have been blessed with - Pregnant 1-2 weeks. This is the most amazing feeling ever, that, please god all goes well, I will be a daddy in mid February

I have been waiting to post on this thread for so long

From a guys perspective

Myself and my wife have been trying for years and finally we have been blessed with - Pregnant 1-2 weeks. This is the most amazing feeling ever, that, please god all goes well, I will be a daddy in mid February

I have been waiting to post on this thread for so long

Congrats to you both, if test said 1-2 weeks you're already 3-4 weeks in.

Re which care, domino scheme really is excellent if you can get on it, lots of criteria. We're doing shared care so off to doc this week to fill out forms.

Wishing the next 6 weeks away so I can get to elusive 12 weeks and relax a little

No real symptoms but from last time I remember tiredness kicked in after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Im due Feb 16th also. I miscarried twins last sept, so was really nervous about this one. 6 weeks in and im nauseous and puking 24 hrs a day, nothing helps at all, lost 2 pounds already in 4 days.

But its supposedly a good sign!

Im abroad, so I get to visit my Obgyn next week, week 7, and get a scan and hear a heartbeat which will hopefully put some of my fears to rest.

cant imagine feeling this ill for the next 5 weeks or more - I can barely move all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

We are also due on 16th feb but no sickness yet at all, just tiredness all the time. Scan in 23 days to hear the heartbeat.

I honestly dont think i could wait until week 12 for a scan! Im so anxious about this one, i wonder if its contributing to my nausea! :)

• Advertisement

My sickness has started this week also.... not sure how I am going to manage another 6-7 weeks of this. It takes a lot for me to be physically sick so its really just an intense quesy feeling that I have... all day every day.

So I had my scan yesterday! Doc said everything looks great, saw the heartbeat and everything.

Pic is now on the fridge! :D

Seemed to have gained some control over the morning sickness, can now 'allow' myself to be sick when i need to whereas before I was like - this is a waste of food/ i shouldnt be getting sick etc. So now I have 30 min windows of no nausea a couple times a day, where I can shower etc and get things done. Also walking and fresh air helps, but its too damn hot here to be outside during the day.

Next scan at the end of august! Need to get some bloods and tests done in the mean time.

Exciting times!

So I had my scan yesterday! Doc said everything looks great, saw the heartbeat and everything.

Pic is now on the fridge! :D

Seemed to have gained some control over the morning sickness, can now 'allow' myself to be sick when i need to whereas before I was like - this is a waste of food/ i shouldnt be getting sick etc. So now I have 30 min windows of no nausea a couple times a day, where I can shower etc and get things done. Also walking and fresh air helps, but its too damn hot here to be outside during the day.

Next scan at the end of august! Need to get some bloods and tests done in the mean time.

Exciting times!

Jealous of the scan already, my consultant is on holidays so rather than next week its not for another 2 weeks after that and then I get my 12 weeks scan the following week.

Trying desperately to hide the bloat, by the evening even the holding in the belly doesn't work. Really wondering if there is more than one in here!

Nausea is a pain, feels worse on this pregnancy and have no appetite at all. When i do eat its more out of necessity than want! Roll on second trimester

Looking forward to being able to tell people, will make life so much easier

Really thought I might have two in there too! With all the nausea, and bloating, and because of last year, but he double checked and there is only one thankfully!

I heard you can get a scan after 7 weeks in ireland if you pay? think my friend had one, cos she had had a miscarriage before, but the doc wouldn't let it go on the insurance, so she paid €100 i think? Could be wrong on the price tho!

Really hating any trousers that are tight and heavy, jeans etc. The scales says Ive lost weight but I feel bigger than ever!

I hear you on the food - just looking at it makes me queasy! :)

Really thought I might have two in there too! With all the nausea, and bloating, and because of last year, but he double checked and there is only one thankfully!

I heard you can get a scan after 7 weeks in ireland if you pay? think my friend had one, cos she had had a miscarriage before, but the doc wouldn't let it go on the insurance, so she paid €100 i think? Could be wrong on the price tho!

Really hating any trousers that are tight and heavy, jeans etc. The scales says Ive lost weight but I feel bigger than ever!

I hear you on the food - just looking at it makes me queasy! :)

I could get a private scan but no point with 2 scans within a week of each other before the end of the month, I'm just impatient. Am mixing normal dresses and maternity dresses at the moment in the hope of keeping this to myself until August, but I so look pregnant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I just found out that I'm expecting- a total shock- I had a miscarriage last month and must have gotten pregnant almost straight away. I'm having an early scan next Thursday to get a better idea of dates. I'm hoping for an Aquarian though (before 18th). This will be my fourth baby, still feels weird saying that! I'm incredibly tired- going to bed around 830 every night- and pretty nauseous too although I've only actually vomited a few times. I had really severe morning sickness in my last pregnancy up until about 18 weeks and was on a drip for a while so hopefully it doesn't go that way again. I found the last time if I stayed away from sugar, dairy and wheat I was a lot less sick so I'm going to try that again...got myself some calcium supplements today in preparation.

We haven't told anyone yet even our family so it's nice having the thread. :)

Congratulations Rosy Posy! And Welcome!

Hope the scan goes well. 4 will be a lot of kids! Im struggling to imagine even my life with number 1 on the way! :)

I have an aversion to wheat too, i only have to think about it and I feel sick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Hi all and congratulations to all of you :)

We got here to this moment after three years of attempts and after they told us that the only way would have been IVF.
    Nevertheless, after a laparoscopy, the unexpected happened and here we are, still with an idiot smile 4 weeks on after the discovery of Having a baba on the way :)

So far, I am often very tired and I have loads of pelvic pains. Also, the simple idea of row food, or food in general, gives me nausea, especially before meals time.

We had already three scans (I was at risk of ectopic and we had to monitor quite a lot) and we heard last Monday the baby's heart for the first time!

Due to my age, however, we are at risk of further complications. Instead of the CVS, we are going for the Harmony test, which does not carry risk of miscarriage.

Does any of you intend to do it or knows of someone that did it already? Are you following a special diet?

Good luck and our countdown is on for February 13th.
    M.

ps did you inform already your family members??

Im not following any special diet, because of all the morning sickness, the doc suggested that i just eat what i want and not to worry at this stage! A lot of things turn my stomach - hubby says he hates coming home from work for the discussion on what we will have for dinner - because I make a face at almost every suggestion! :)

No idea on any of the tests sorry.

We told our immediate families after our 7 week scan the other day. Doc said everything looked good saw heartbeat so we told them. Not telling anyone else tho really. I will be going home to ireland for 4 weeks soon, and will tell some other close friends/ family then, but im not telling everyone. We will be home permanently in Dec so they can all see my bump on Christmas day!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Im not following any special diet, because of all the morning sickness, the doc suggested that i just eat what i want and not to worry at this stage! A lot of things turn my stomach - hubby says he hates coming home from work for the discussion on what we will have for dinner - because I make a face at almost every suggestion! :)

I will be going home to ireland for 4 weeks soon, and will tell some other close friends/ family then, but im not telling everyone. We will be home permanently in Dec so they can all see my bump on Christmas day!

Hi Dori, you made me smile :) The |what do you want for dinner conversation is one of my husband's nightmares. I either want something bland, carbs or nothing at all. But if I don't eat the nausea gets worse! His face, when we discuss shopping or the dinner, is priceless :)

But he is filling the baskets with all good things, and he became an expert on food allowed and not in pregnancy. It is our first and it took us so long that I think we are waiting the Harmony result to let the fears down a bit, so we are terrorised of doing anything stupid.

ps try cucumber and watery veggies, they help (at least they are helping me). And fruits, I am mad about fruits these days.

• Advertisement

As regards diet, I'm making a bigger effort to include more protein in my diet as apparently in pregnancy you have the same calorie needs but need more protein. I'm eating lots of eggs and nuts, which are good, and pork, which is not so good, but I'm turned right off fish (normally I'd eat quite a bit of tinned tuna) and I'm a bit paranoid about eating non organic chicken which works out pricey. I'll have to make a big batch of hummus and survive on that for a while. I always eat loads of marmite and avocado when I'm pregnant for some reason- its the only craving I get. I'm really not fussed about it normally. Funnily enough it has lots of B vitimans and folic acid in it! Also trying to eat more warm foods and generally stay warm.

I amn't too worried about the pregnancy diet- in my last pregnancy I was so sick I didn't keep anything at all down for a week and no water for four days before I got put on the drip and I was super paranoid about how it was effecting the baby- they gave me a scan in the hospital just to put my mind at ease and told me that babies are excellent parasites- they'll take what they need from your body and leave you deficient.

I get what you ladies are saying about the 'dinner conversation'- I'm finding preparing family meals a chore- I tend to make something separate for myself these days but even looking at some things just makes me want to yak. Definitely going to start cooking double and filling the freezer for when it all gets to be too much.

Had my scan today so due date is 18th February...on the cusp of Aquarius and Pisces. All my others have been late though :(

Mistakenly let it slip to the butchers wife that I was expecting- I was asking if the Bresola was raw and she clocked it and asked me straight out- I was too flustered to deny it. I've sworn her to secrecy. Feels weird her knowing when our family don't.

When do you plan to tell Rosy? i thought living abroad would make it easier to keep secret but it doesnt! :)

Congrats on the healthy scan :)

I've told 2 friends, both of whom told me they were pregnant so I couldn't hold back. Plan to tell our families at the end of the month, would keep it to ourselves for longer but can't because of timing. Will tell work once I pass 12 weeks, only because I don't think I can hide it as I'm already showing. Last time I didn't tell work until past 16 weeks and it was great, time flew!

When do you plan to tell Rosy? i thought living abroad would make it easier to keep secret but it doesnt! :)

Congrats on the healthy scan :)

I reckon 12 weeks. We've always let it slip before then in the past but I think I'd like to wait this time, especially since the miscarriage.

I'm not sure how our families are going to take it tbh. It's a lot of kids to have with no family support, and my mam had her heart set on me going back to college next year and (finally) getting on a career path...looks like that's not going to happen for a few years more now.

I know a little bit how you feel, weve been abroad over two years now, and Im not allowed work here at all, so ive been living the good life! My family are always on at me about what Im going to do when I come home. Ive decided Im not going to go back to the 'career ' I left to follow my husband around the world - Engineering, cos I felt it had destroyed my soul before we left, so its all new options now - which my family want answers on but I dont have any!

Also coming home 7 months pregggers right before Xmas isnt going to help any plans that I did have ( Business courses etc). I think theyll leave me to it once the baby is born ( fingers still crossed), for about 6 months then the questions and pressure will start again! I know they mean well, but i have a feeling im going to really enjoy being a stay at home Mum! :) But well see! (also there is no guarantee with my husbands job that we will stay in Ireland more than 2 years at a time)

How old are your kids? Have you thought of doing online courses or anything?

How old are your kids? Have you thought of doing online courses or anything?

6, 4, 1 1/2. I did a certificate course when my eldest was a baby and I found it incredibly difficult to balance motherhood and study. The masters I want to do is pretty challenging, and I need to get top marks if I want to get on the pHD programme which will lead to the career I would like. I've been emailing the course director and she recommended waiting til my youngest was three at least before trying to get the head down. She said, and I agree that your kids are only young for such a short time if you have the resources to be at home with them and are so inclined then do it to the best of your ability before moving on. I got pregnant at the end of my final year in college and at this stage will be 40 by the time I enter the workforce fully qualified but that's still 10 years full time mothering, 5 years study, and 25 years of work. That seems like a good balance to me.

Part of the problem is that my mother and mil both worked like dogs through their childbearing years to further their careers and by choosing a different path it's seen as an implicit criticism of their parenting...which it's absolutely not- they both excelled in their fields and neither had the temperament for being at home with kids all day- it's just not how we choose to structure our family.

It's something I've found across the board that our parents became sensitive about their parenting choices when we made different ones, or chose not to follow their advice.

Masters and PhDs really do take up so much time and energy! More than regular 9-5 work i think, because you are constantly aware of being on such a tight schedule and funding, and there are no sick days really every day counts! I would not like to have done mine with a baby at home!

My mum gave up work when she had me (number 2) and I think always regretted it from an independence point of view. She and my dad separated 10 years later, and he wasn't always on time with maintenance and she felt completely controlled by him financially. I think she believes that Im screwing myself by relying on my husband so much, even though she thinks he is wonderful (as do I) :)

Also I was the only one of my siblings to finish uni, even do a PhD, and then I just walked away. they were so proud of me saw such a bright future for me, but cant really understand how utterly miserable I was!

So hubby and I are doing whats best for us and he says if I start cracking up at home hell fully support me going back to work. Which is great, but Im worried when thatll be!

I think everyone has to figure out what will be best for them and their families, as Mothers and MILs are'nt there everyday and really dont know the ins and outs of whats going on at all!

So we've declined the 12 week scan- I wouldn't go for amnio anyway and it wouldn't effect the outcome so it felt a bit pointless. Just wondering if anyone here is getting it and what your reasons are?

• Advertisement

First scan done, all present and correct :-) Finally able to relax now a little

Advertisement